Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely forgot about Xenia...I was hoping they would use this for Isabella...I would love to see:

Xenia Dagmar Margrethe Jane
Matilda Thyra Ingrid Patricia

Matilda & Xenia
Xenia & Olafur
Oscar & Xenia

Oh...imagine Xenia Matilda Olympia Jane!! :)

So many names, so many family members, so many ancestors...Good luck to them to narrow it down to 8 names and appease and honour everyone they want to while still having a complete combo they are happy with...Seemed like a big challenge with single children, now they have double the trouble...Good luck, Mary and Frederik :)

They won't use Frederik, at least for the 1st name, as it goes in alternating generations to the make heir to the throne. Thus it will go to Christian's eldest son,esp if he is the heir.

In case it wasn´t mentioned yet we have to keep in mind that Mary is a native English speaker so she might want to choose names that are not too complicated for her to pronounce. I love a name like Dagmar but I think this one is too Danish for Mary. That might be one reason why they chose "Isabella" surprisingly.
I predict the twins to become fraternal. Of course a boy and a girl would be fine.

Names for boys:
Knud/Knut, Olaf, Eric/Erik, Axel, Harald, Mathias, Stephan, Sven, Magnus, Michael

For girls
Alexandra, Louise/Louisa, Ingrid, Anna/Anne, Victoria, Charlotte, Beatrice, Astrid, Sofia, Rosemarie

Godparents: maybe Spanish or Dutch royals, Nikolaos / Tatiana, maybe princess Alexandra/Nathalie/prince Gustav, and their friends.

For godparents maybe one royal godmother and godfather each? So maybe:

Twin 1- Princess Marie
Crown Prince Willem-Alexander

Twin 2- Prince Daniel
Princess Maxima

And the rest of the godparents family and friends such as John Donaldson, Patricia Bailey, Caroline Heering, Carina Axelson.

Can't think of any more godfathers!

In case it wasn´t mentioned yet we have to keep in mind that Mary is a native English speaker so she might want to choose names that are not too complicated for her to pronounce. I love a name like Dagmar but I think this one is too Danish for Mary. That might be one reason why they chose "Isabella" surprisingly.
I predict the twins to become fraternal. Of course a boy and a girl would be fine.

But Mary is Danish, and not that I think any daughter would be named Dagmar, I don't think Mary being a native english speaker would determine any names they choose. It's whatever they like and if they liked a traditional Danish name then I'm sure they'd use it.

Also, Mary is quite fluent in Danish so I doubt she'd have much trouble pronouncing any name ;)

mary is very fluent in danish, but the names dagmar and knud are near impossible to pronounce correctly if you are not danish by birth.

I wouldn't worry about the Crown Princess's pronunciation; is it really relevant? I doubt the children wouldn't understand that their mother is calling them even if she slightly mispronounced their names and I doubt that she would never learn the correct pronunciation of her children's names.

Since the Danish Royal Family likes alternating between Frederik and Christian, I wonder what other name they will choose for female monarchs? Margrethe would be an obvious choice but what about the other name? Margrethe III and then ?, followed by Margrethe IV and then ?

Since the Danish Royal Family likes alternating between Frederik and Christian, I wonder what other name they will choose for female monarchs? Margrethe would be an obvious choice but what about the other name? Margrethe III and then ?, followed by Margrethe IV and then ?

Well both Queen Regnants of Denmark were called Margrethe.
Ingrid perhaps, Mary if Christian was to have a female heir.

I think Elisabeth or ingrid would be good alternative names.

I wouldn't think Elizabeth likely as a possible first name. There is already a Princess Elisabeth of Denmark and also Princess Elizabeth of Belgium. Add to those a current reigning monarch and I think Elizabeth has been used quite sufficiently to date.

names for the babies: ( I think it is going to be 2 girls )

Leonora, katarina, christine, helena, victoria, mathilde, ingrid, isadora

boys:

phillip, victor, alexander, william, erik, christoffer, magnus ( we had a king magnus from 1042-1047. he was called magnus the good :) )

I made some earlier suggestions, but I'm not very good with such things as name picking.

Anyway, a couple more...

Markus Joachim Alexander John

Anton Frederik Henri Carl

Ingrid Henrietta Daisy Renee

Andre Arthur Henrik John

I quite like the use of Renée as a middle name actually. Interesting that no one else has thought of that aswell :) A nice tribute to the Prince Consort's late mother.

I don't know how the Danes or other non french speaking people perceive the name René(e) because for us french native it sounds as old as Knud and Dagmar. Actually it doesn't stand the same historical meaning of those names, but for sure it is for now a very old-fashionned name. If Fred and Mary like modern names they will hardly choose this one.

I feel already a little sorry for Christian and Isabella because those twins might take away all the attention on them. (Specially also because IMO they are not THAT cute...) Hopefully they aren´t at least identical.:cool:

If you put it that way, you should feel more sorry for Isabella, because Christian still has his own specialty of being the heir. So one day it will be just Crown Prince Christian, the twins and ... oh yeah, there's this girl, too. What was her name again? :ermm:

In that case we should hope for two boys, because that would give Isabella her own specialty of being the only girl. ;)

i will be minority here but i hope for two boys :) simply becouse there will be a bigger chance of having more pirnce(s) and princess(ess) in the future in DRF:flowers:

Boys:
Valdemar and Axel

Girls:
Louise and Julia

I wouldn't think Elizabeth is likely as a possible first name. There is already a Princess Elisabeth of Denmark and also Princess Elizabeth of Belgium. Add to those a current reigning monarch and I think Elizabeth has been used quite sufficiently to date.

I don't think Elizabeth will be used as a first name because it is a variation of Isabella. It would be like naming a boy Christopher, when they already have a son named Christian.

Mathilda is also a beautiful name.

I completely agree and naming a little Princess with that name would be a nice gesture to her country of birth. For those who don't know, Waltzing Matilda is Australia's unofficial anthem, and quite a famous Australian bush ballad.

Last edited by a moderator:
More combos just for fun:

Xenia Margrethe Olympia Renee
Matilda Dagmar Patricia Jane

I am hoping for two girls...Imagine Christian then, with 3 little sisters, too cute :)

I have no idea which direction they will take with first names BUT as for middle names they have so many options and 6 spots to fill...

My list of possible middle names:

Patricia - sister
Jane - sister
Renee - Prince Henrik's mother
Dagmar - important Danish/Russian royal
Thyra - see above
Olympia - where they met, I would love it if they included this!
Mary - obvious reason
Elizabeth - Mary's middle name and a royal name

Amalie Sophie Mary Margrethe

Matilda Thyra Anna Margrethe

Matilda could work, depending on whether or not the parents actually like that name. Matilda was the daughter of Christoffer I of Denmark.

Mathilde without the 'h' is not the usual form in Denmark.

Mathilde without the 'h' is not the usual form in Denmark.

Isabella is not the traditional variation of Elisabeth in Denmark either. As we know, it's Italian.

Need it be said, that a name that is not traditionally Danish, or is not spelt in the Danish fashion, does not make that person any less Danish.

It is merely an alternative form of spelling.

Isabella is not the traditional variation of Elisabeth in Denmark either. As we know, it's Italian.

Need it be said, that a name that is not traditionally Danish, or is not spelt in the Danish fashion, does not make that person any less Danish.

Isabella is more Spanish and Italian; the italian variation of Elizabeth is Elisabetta. Anyway, I thought Isabella was a sort of tratitional name considering that some Queen Consort had this name in the past.

I`m not sure what`s your point here, but Isabella (in this spelling) is a normally used name in Denmark, last year it was the 7th most popular name for girls (and I remember it was that popular even before Princess Isabella was born). Matilda is not used, as a Danish spelling for this name is Mathilde. Mathilde was on the 9th place last year:

Mest populære navne for danskere født i et bestemt år - Danmarks Statistik

And I think that as Mary and Frederik are Danish and represent Denmark, they should choose a name spelt in the Danish fashion ;)

I was not commenting on the name Isabella, its origins, or spelling, nor did I remark about anything being more or less Danish, my post related to the common spelling in Denmark for the name Mathilde.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom