Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree!! Alexander is a great name but it is already used in Mary's family and is too similar to Countess Alexandra's name.
Sorry I keep forgetting about Her newphews name, I originally was going to say Axel but I didn't think it sounded royal enough to be a choice but I still like it best, so even though I don't think it will be a name I am going to suggest it cuz I like it:whistling:.
Axel Erik Joachim Henri

I originally was going to say Axel but I didn't think it sounded royal enough

Axel is a very valid bid actually. There has been a prince Axel - think he was the father in law of the recently deceased countess Ruth of Rosenborg. I like the name too :)

I'm not good on guessing names, but here is my try:

twin girls
Mathilda Thyra Adelaide Patricia
Caroline Dagmar Louise Victoria

twin boys
Valdemar Carl Alexander Patrick
Axel Frederik Michael James

boy/girl twins
Mathilda Thyra Louise Patricia
Axel Frederik Michael Alexander

As for godparents I'm thinking Letizia of Spain, Maxima of Netherlands, Daniel of Sweden and Pavlos or Nikolaos of Greece, then some of Mary's siblings or friends of the couple.

Jane Stephens' middle name is Alison so how about

Margarethe Alison Victoria

Henrietta Dagmar Susan

The last suggestion assuming that HRH has a good relationship with her stepmother

My suggestions are

for two girls

Margrethe Susan Renée Alexandrine
Caroline Jane Mathilde Henriette

for two boys

Hans Frederik André Peter
Alexander Maurice Archibald Carl

My suggestions for the godparents are:

For the third child:
Princess Marie of Denmark
The Prince of Orange
Patricia Bailey
two friends of the Crownprince and Crownprincess

For the fourth child:
Prince Nikolaos of Greece and Denmark
Crownprincess Letizia of Spain
Jane Stephens
two other friends of the Crownprincerly couple

I think Mary and Fred will go with 10 or 12 godparents, 5 or 6 for each child.

All in all, I think the godparents could include the following:

Family:

Princess Marie
John Donaldson
Patricia Donaldson Bailey
Nikolaos of Greece
Gustav of Berleburg
Alexandra of Berleburg

Friends:

Amber Petty
Willem-Alexander OR Maxima
Helle Redtz-Thott
Caroline Heering
Tanja Doky
Birgitte Handwerk
Ditlev Ahlefeldt-Laurvig
Holger Foss
Jørgen Skeel
Julie Moelsgaard

Boy names:

William
Philip
Adam
Noah
Lucas
Victor
Oliver
Daniel
Carl
Jacob
Benjamin

and for middlenames: Frederik, Christian, Alexander, Albert

Girl names:

Josephine
Victoria
Ida
Louise
Amalie
Sophie
Caroline
Clara

middlenames: Mary, Alexandrine, Elizabeth

OK I am back...I just love speculating...My top picks for girls are:
Matilda - this is a definite because of all previous reasons mentioned in posts above
Adelaide - just occurred to me when mentioned as part of Mary's Aussie itinerary
Xenia - distinctly possible, perhaps?
Amelia - maybe, it does have royal precedent and it is trendy at the moment, a possibility? Too close to Emilie Heering though?
Olympia - would love this signifying where they met but maybe too Greek for the Danes? Hopefully a middle name...

Maybe, because of double ups:
Charlotte - Casirghi (?) you know Caroline of Monaco's daughter
Sophia - because of the Spanish Sofia's, Queen and Princess
Ingrid - Norway's princess

No-no's:
Alexandra - Countess and nephew
Caroline - Heering
Mary/Marie - too many already

For boys, I like:
Olafur - no precedent but it might be that curve ball because it sounds similar to Oliver, trendy name at moment and Olaf which has been used before...
Oscar - Swedish king, might get a look in
Harald - current king of Norway but has popular nickname Harry to use and has been used by Danish royals before

This is going to be the longest 6 months...waiting to see what they have (boy/girl/etc) and then what they will name them...I really shouldn't live vicariously though others but it's fun! :)

Why is Caroline a no-no?

IMO, I don't think that it'll be a Caroline because of Caroline Heering & Caroline Fleming.

To call a boy Olafur in Denmark would be the same as calling a girl Dagmar or Thyra. Kinda old-ish, but still, it's actually kinda fashionable in the moment.

IMO, I don't think that a girl would be named Olympia because of Maria Olympia, the daughter of CP Pavlos & Marie-Chantal.

To call a boy Olafur in Denmark would be the same as calling a girl Dagmar or Thyra. Kinda old-ish, but still, it's actually kinda fashionable in the moment.
Really? Seems to be different in Denmark than in Germany. In Germany Dagmar, Harald and Olaf are also oldfashioned. But they would be considered "not old enough". These are names of the generations, born between 1930 and 1955. They are still "worn out", because people would think of their narrow-minded aunt with permanent wave and the 60-years-old guy next door, who mows the lawn in an undershirt.... ;)

(I have no idea about Thyra or Olafur, as they are not used over here. To me they sound pretty awkward and hard ).

Old-fashioned but fashionable are names used earlier (before about 1920) like Emma, Ella, Louise/a, Marie, Hannah, Paula, Charlotte, Pauline, Justus, Anton, Johannes...

Really? Seems to be different in Denmark than in Germany. In Germany Dagmar, Harald and Olaf are also oldfashioned. But they would be considered "not old enough". These are names of the generations, born between 1930 and 1955. They are still "worn out", because people would think of their narrow-minded aunt with permanent wave and the 60-years-old guy next door, who mows the lawn in an undershirt.... ;)

(I have no idea about Thyra or Olafur, as they are not used over here. To me they sound pretty awkward and hard ).

Old-fashioned but fashionable are names used earlier (before about 1920) like Emma, Ella, Louise/a, Marie, Hannah, Paula, Charlotte, Pauline, Justus, Anton, Johannes...

Haha ;)
Well, Olafur really isn't that popular here, that's also why I don't think that people should have so high hopes for that name (btw, it sounds very Icelandic to me, idk why).
But Dagmar, Thyra, Magda, Regitze, Anton, Elliot etc. are extremely popular, in my sisters school-class every single child is named with an old-fashioned name, it's crazy. Lol.

Old-fashioned names are popular, but I think that Mary & Frederik will choose a more international name. Like Isabella. Popular in both Denmark & I don't really know if it's popular in other countries, but I can imagine it is.
But I do believe that the children will get at least one old-fashioned middle name.

IMO, I don't think that it'll be a Caroline because of Caroline Heering & Caroline Fleming.

And?
Why not name the child after either of them, especially Caroline Heering.

Same goes for the name Alexandra or version of the name, just because she has a nephew called that and a ex sister-in-law shouldn't matter.
There were never any bad feelings between Mary and Alexandra after the divorce, same goes now I think for Alex and Joachim so if they like the name they should go for it.
As for calling a boy Alexander, I'm sure relatives will be able to differentiate from Prince Alexander and Alexander etc.

And?
Why not name the child after either of them, especially Caroline Heering.

Same goes for the name Alexandra or version of the name, just because she has a nephew called that and a ex sister-in-law shouldn't matter.
There were never any bad feelings between Mary and Alexandra after the divorce, same goes now I think for Alex and Joachim so if they like the name they should go for it.
As for calling a boy Alexander, I'm sure relatives will be able to differentiate from Prince Alexander and Alexander etc.

Idk. Just my opinion. ;)

I'm almost 100% sure that a girl wouldn't be called Alexandra, that would be defined as "innapropriate", BS in my opinion but yeah.

:flowers:
It would be lovely to have some names from Australia somewhere in there!
Matilda -(Aussie's love to own this once traditional English name)
Victoria -(Mary lived in Victoria for awhile)
Adelaide -(Mary's best friend Amber lives there ... Mary is there now celebrating Amber's 40th B'Day, Happy Birthday Amber)

with both Mary's Sister names as well

Patricia
Jane

Godparents - Her sister Patricia
(Jane is already a Godparent to HRH Prince Christian)
Mary's Brother
Princess Marie of Denmark
and maybe Prince Edward & Sophie Wessex, they are often photographed together at Royal events, and are the Royal Family of Australia as well as England.

I think its lovely that so many people are interested, and can't wait to hear the names chosen.

This wonderful news has put Mary back on the covers of Magazine's which is nice!

xoxos

Twin boys- Luis Hans and Nikolaos Ferdinand

Twin Girls- Louise Antoine and Renee Therese

Twin boys- Luis Hans and Nikolaos Ferdinand
Twin Girls- Louise Antoine and Renee Therese

Definitely not Nikolaos... when there is a royal cousin named Nikolai.

In Europe, is it popular to give twins names which begin with the same letter, e.g., Henrietta and Holger? This is often done in the US.

In Europe, is it popular to give twins names which begin with the same letter, e.g., Henrietta and Holger? This is often done in the US.
I'm sure there are a few families with same letter twins. I personally know a few twins or triples, but none of them has same letter names.
But i know a few other brothers and sisters with the same letter: e.g. Lars and Lena, Anja and Annabelle, Anja and Annika, Jonah and Julia....
With two kids it is still kind of cute, but with three or four it remindes me to dog breeding.

My suggestions:

Girl: Charlotte Louise Mary Astrid
Godparents: Princess Madeleine of Sweden, Prince Nikolaos of Greece and Denmark, John Donaldson (her brother)

Boy: Albert Gustav Frederik Carl
Godparents: Princess Marie of Denmark, Patricia Bailey (her sister), Prince Gustav of Sayn Wittgenstein-Berleburg

Well the only twins I know of at the moment,
Princess Claire and Prince Laurent's two boys are called Aymeric and Nicholas.
The Duke and Duchess of Anjou also have twin boys called Luis and Alfonso.

Princess Christina of the Netherlands (sister of Queen Beatrix) have twins: Margarita and Jaime.

Definitely not Nikolaos... when there is a royal cousin named Nikolai.

Doesn't mean a thing. Alot of people have the same names and it doesn't mean they are copies or any less of a person. Whatever they decide I'm sure it will be grand.

Last edited:
For girls first name maybe:

Anna, Emma, Mathilde or Clara

Middle names:

Dagmar, Thyra, Sophie, Louisa/Lovisa, Amalie, Victoria or Caroline
Susan might be a long shot but i think it would be a nice nod to Mary's stepmother

For boys first name:

Lucas, Magnus, Sebastian or Jacob

Middle names:

Frederik, Haakon (historic and a friend), Carl, Andree

Doesn't mean a thing. Alot of people have the same names and it doesn't mean they are copies or any less of a person. Whatever they decide I'm sure it will be grand.

True. Princess Astrid of Belgium's lille girl's name is Luisa and Prince Laurent's daughter is Louise. It's the same name. I'm still sure they'll pick something different. :)

Girls :
Sophie Charlotte Alexandrine Renée
Caroline Mathilde Alexandrine Renée
Louise Helene Alexandrine Renée

Boys :
William Erik Knud André
Carl Axel Knud André
George Philip Knud André

Hi Everyone

New Poster here. Hope you all are well
Here are my names for the twins. These are actually my names for my future twins I hope to have in about 7 years (laughs)...But I'm giving Mary and Fred permission to copy me... I've mixed Danish and Gaelic names to represent both of the parents. French heritage is represented by Olivier.

Julia Catharine Caroline Cassandra
Scarlett Daniella Olivia Aileen

Johann Erik Magnussen Skagen
Kieran Aiden Soren Olivier

Other godparent suggestions:
Marie-Chantal and Pavlos
Tati and Nik
Princess Madeleine (as suggested earlier)

Oh, this is fun. Here are a few more:

O'Hara Amanda Patricia Aimee (Aimee MUST have the accente)
Lauren-Celine Phillipa Claire

Frederik Kristofer Iver Adair
Marc-Laurent Birkholm Valentin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom