Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my post related to the common spelling in Denmark for the name Mathilde.

I think anyone who partakes in the discussion is aware of that :) Infact, if you read further back you'll notice where and why 'Matilda' was brought into the equation.

I`m not sure what`s your point here, but Isabella (in this spelling) is a normally used name in Denmark, last year it was the 7th most popular name for girls (and I remember it was that popular even before Princess Isabella was born). Matilda is not used, as a Danish spelling for this name is Mathilde. Mathilde was on the 9th place last year:

Mest populære navne for danskere født i et bestemt år - Danmarks Statistik

And I think that as Mary and Frederik are Danish and represent Denmark, they should choose a name spelt in the Danish fashion

My point is that Isabella, by origin, is not a Danish spelt and naturally pronounced name. Plain and simple. It has however been adopted into Danish society.

If Matilda was adopted as an alternative to Mathilde, for whatever reason, then I see not how it would be any different, fundamentally, to Isabella and Elisabet(h).

Isabella is more Spanish and Italian

Isabel is the Spanish form of Elizabeth.

The name Isabella has been widely adopted in many countries, but it doesn't make it a culturally conventional form of spelling. Only in Italy.

Isabella is more Spanish and Italian; the italian variation of Elizabeth is Elisabetta. Anyway, I thought Isabella was a sort of tratitional name considering that some Queen Consort had this name in the past.
Yes, there was a Queen Consort Isabella of Austria/Habsburg. But she is known as Elisabet af Østrig/Elisabeth af Habsburg in Denmark.
Isabella and Isabelle is a version of Isabel. Isabella is not spanish. Isabel is the Spanish version (so in Spanish: Isabel de Austria y Trastámara)

I have no idea about Danish, but to me (German speaker) it makes a difference, if somebody is called Matilda or Mathilde. They a pronounced differently in German.

I just heard in German News on TV that Mary and Marie don't like each other very much. Is that true? Because if it's true we can rule Marie out as a possible godmother I think.

The news was about the twins and about the 'which twin will be 4th and which will be 5th'. Apparently it isn't important which one will be born first. The royal-expert on TV said, what counts is which twin will scream and thus announcing 'I'm here and I live on my own' first.

Does anyone know anything about this and knows if it is true? In a way it makes sense, but on the other hand, it's always about who's born first in the line of succession. And IMO born means when you leave your mothers body, not when you start screaming. I admit, this confuses me.

I think anyone who partakes in the discussion is aware of that :) Infact, if you read further back you'll notice where and why 'Matilda' was brought into the equation.

Oh, I see, I just didn't think you were aware of it from your reply, and again, the origins of the discussion are irrelevant, I was interested in the spelling conundrum only.

Oh, I see, I just didn't think you were aware of it from your reply, and again, the origins of the discussion are irrelevant, I was interested in the spelling conundrum only.

A conundrum would suggest a challenge or problem. Needles to say any such variation in spelling would present neither.

Discussions are best had when we thoroughly read what has actually been written. It generally helps where assumptions are concerned :)

Thanks for your response though. Thoughtful.

I just heard in German News on TV that Mary and Marie don't like each other very much. Is that true? Because if it's true we can rule Marie out as a possible godmother I think.

I'd take that with a grain of salt, as Mary is one of the godmothers to Marie's firstborn, lille Henrik. That indicates (to me) that there is a <somewhat> positive relationship between the two Princesses.

I also think that Marie would be in the short-list for godmothers (even if it is just to 'return the favour'), as is Prince Daniel.

I'd take that with a grain of salt, as Mary is one of the godmothers to Marie's firstborn, lille Henrik. That indicates (to me) that there is a <somewhat> positive relationship between the two Princesses.

I also think that Marie would be in the short-list for godmothers (even if it is just to 'return the favour'), as is Prince Daniel.

Then it's maybe just something the press made up. I was a little surprised by it myself, because I've never heard anything regarding to them not liking each other. That's why I asked here. And if Mary is godmother to Henrik, Marie definitely WILL be a possibility to one of the twins.

Sorry if this is a silly question but at the christening which twin will wear the family gown and which will wear what I'm assuming will be a replica?

Sorry if this is a silly question but at the christening which twin will wear the family gown and which will wear what I'm assuming will be a replica?

I think it's a great question and brings up the possibility of separate christenings and/or a quick change in the midst of one.

I don't really think that if it's a girl she'll be named Marianne, it's very "old-fashioned" in Denmark. Just saying ;)

Maybe not the place for this questions, but what started the Royal family using only Christian and Frederik for names of the heir?
I can't wait to hear what they name the twins, I really dislike the tradition of having to wait almost 4 month after the birth to hear the name, where did that come from?

I think it's a great question and brings up the possibility of separate christenings and/or a quick change in the midst of one.

The kids are going to be christened together, no question IMO.
The younger one may wear a replica, or they might not use the family gown and create two new ones.

Maybe not the place for this questions, but what started the Royal family using only Christian and Frederik for names of the heir?
I can't wait to hear what they name the twins, I really dislike the tradition of having to wait almost 4 month after the birth to hear the name, where did that come from?

Well it started in 1513 with Christian II, but I think it was an accident, because he was succeded by his uncle who was named Frederik, after that it went Christian, Frederik until Margrethe ascended the throne. :)
As for the waiting I think it's nice, I felt it a shame that Princess Nathalie announced the name of her son after he was born.
Don't know where it came from, might be a tease from the DRF.

The kids are going to be christened together, no question IMO.
The younger one may wear a replica, or they might not use the family gown and create two new ones.

Well it started in 1513 with Christian II, but I think it was an accident, because he was succeded by his uncle who was named Frederik, after that it went Christian, Frederik until Margrethe ascended the throne. :)
As for the waiting I think it's nice, I felt it a shame that Princess Nathalie announced the name of her son after he was born.
Thank you for answering my questions, I often wondered if the waiting also didn't have something to do with the high mortality rate of infants back when , or they wanted to keep them seculed away from sickness for a while or make sure that they were healthy before annoucement. Complete speculation on my part, thanks again:flowers:

Thank you for answering my questions, I often wondered if the waiting also didn't have something to do with the high mortality rate of infants back when , or they wanted to keep them seculed away from sickness for a while or make sure that they were healthy before annoucement. Complete speculation on my part, thanks again:flowers:

I seem to remember my one of my very old Scandinavian relatives mentioning that you couldn't tell the child's name before the christening because names have power, and the child wasn't protected by God yet.

Any whoo...

There seem to be lots of excellent choices, but I agree that family names that haven't been seen lately may pop up again.

Guys I don´t wanna ruin the mood but we have to keep in mind IMO that this pregnancy might as well end in a miscarriage or so. We really should wait for another few months to discuss names and godparents over and over. I for myself first believe that there will be two new babies at the time they are able to be born alive....:cool:
IMO it´s a bit strange that she doesn´t show more bump or else they want to confuse the media by announcing the wrong month of birth on purpose....

The news was about the twins and about the 'which twin will be 4th and which will be 5th'. Apparently it isn't important which one will be born first. The royal-expert on TV said, what counts is which twin will scream and thus announcing 'I'm here and I live on my own' first.

Does anyone know anything about this and knows if it is true? In a way it makes sense, but on the other hand, it's always about who's born first in the line of succession. And IMO born means when you leave your mothers body, not when you start screaming. I admit, this confuses me.

The twin which is born first is called Twin A. The second one is Twin B. Even if Twin A dies, Twin B always remains Twin B. This will serve to confirm the Succession.

Twin B is usually the smaller of the two and usually the most medically fragile whether they are fraternal or identical.

I'm just curious. If you are one of these god-parents, what are your duties and responsibilities to the child?

I'm just curious. If you are one of these god-parents, what are your duties and responsibilities to the child?

The roles and responsibility of godparents have changed significantly. Traditionally, the parent's of a child chose them in the event the child is left orphaned without any immediate and "blood" family to look after them. They also a role model in the teachings of their chosen religion.

These days, it's more a symbolic gesture that has significant honour. If someone asked me to be a godparent to their child, I would be humbled and honoured, due to it's significance in the past.

Guys I don´t wanna ruin the mood but we have to keep in mind IMO that this pregnancy might as well end in a miscarriage or so. We really should wait for another few months to discuss names and godparents over and over. I for myself first believe that there will be two new babies at the time they are able to be born alive....:cool:
IMO it´s a bit strange that she doesn´t show more bump or else they want to confuse the media by announcing the wrong month of birth on purpose....
The Danish Royal Court officially announces pregnancies after the first trimester has passed, so while there are still risks, after the first trimester there is a greater chance of the pregnancy remaining viable. Because of who she is, CP Mary will receive the best medical care, even more so now that she is pregnant with twins.
I think its o.k to speculate on the names of the twins and the godparents because we are celebrating the fact that Mary is actually pregnant now. These speculations happen for every royal pregnancy that is announced.
On her pregnancy bump, CP Mary in her first 2 pregnancies did not have a large bump in comparison to say Princess Letizia, but her babies were born at healthy weights. We are seeing a bump on Mary now and we will see it get bigger as her pregnancy progresses.

As Nathalie's son was born in Germany, she, her husband, the midwife and the hospital are liable to register the birth within 7 days after birth. The name has to be registered within one month after birth in the civil registry office. You also should announce the birth straight after birth to the tax office (tax exemption for dependent children/allowance) and the mayor's office (compulsory registration and children benefits). (I know, civil law juristdictions are a bit more strict than the common law ones in UK etc). Normally the births are announced in the regional newspapers each week.

After all, with a birth in Germany, Nathalie could not wait 3 or 4 month to announce the name.

I think that if one of the twins is a girl they migth name her Victoria Margrethe Elisabeth Ingeborg
And if the other twin is a boy the names migth be Mathias Pavlos Gustav Knud

I would find it lovely, if there would be one girl or even two girls, if they would choose the names Margrethe and Ingrid. But I doubt it that they will go for something traditional.

I would find it lovely, if there would be one girl or even two girls, if they would choose the names Margrethe and Ingrid. But I doubt it that they will go for something traditional.

Isabella has both Margrethe and Ingrid as her middle names I hope they don't use them again.

Let´s see, about names: as it has been said before, I think they didn´t choose the name "Christian". It was the tradiction and they kept it. So I think that the name that can describe Frederick and Mary´s tastes is "Isabella", the one they actually picked because (I guess) it was their favourite among girls´names ;)
I think Isabella is a name with long history among royals (no matter if we talk about Isabella, Isabel/lle, Elisabeth/Elizabeth...it just depends of the country), but it is also a quite modern name in many countries and even chic, it sounds also a quite celebrity´s name. So I think that´s the kind of name they will look for: modern but with historical/royal roots, and international :flowers:
My personal choices are:
For girls: Charlotte, Maria, Katharine, Louise, Sophie, Helena.
For boys: Alexander, maybe Frederick, Axel, Erik
(Any of them in its Danish form, I´m sorry but I´m not familiarized with Danish names)
And for the godparents: I´m almost 100% sure about Princess Marie( because Mary is Henrik´s godmother) and I have a feeling about Princess Maxima and maybe Prince Willhem Alexander. I would love Prince Daniel and Princess Madeline as well. Someone from the Spanish royals would be nice, maybe Letizia. And I guess there will be one or two of Mary´s siblings.

I haven't commented on names so far because I guess I was so far off on Isabella name but what the heck I might as well chime in too, so here goes:
Girl: Charlotte Katarina Ingrid Jane
Boy: Alexander Erik Joachim Henri

Another try for boy/girl twins:

Olafur Aage Holger Frederik
Matilda Dagmar Thyra Jane

Prince Olafur and Princess Matilda is my bet :)
Christian, Isabella, Olafur, Matilda is an awesome royal set...

Why do people keep suggesting Alexander...it won't happen, Mary already has a nephew, Alexander Stephens (Jane's son) and too close to ex-sister-in-law, Alexandra...it is a nice, modern, royal, popular name, but they just won't do it!

Why do people keep suggesting Alexander...it won't happen, Mary already has a nephew, Alexander Stephens (Jane's son) and too close to ex-sister-in-law, Alexandra...it is a nice, modern, royal, popular name, but they just won't do it!

I agree!! Alexander is a great name but it is already used in Mary's family and is too similar to Countess Alexandra's name.

Just got back from the supermarket and was reading a tabloid womens magazine there...I have no qualms reading them, I just don't buy them ;) So anyway, apparently Mary's twins are identical and girls...Well, if you believe all that you read, I would actually love Christian with three little sisters and Frederik with three little sweet daughters, cute! And I love girls names better than boys...So here are some revised combos:

Matilda Dagmar Renee Patricia
Charlotte Thyra Alexandrine Jane

OR

Xenia Alexandrine Thyra Jane

OR

Anneke Thyra Benedikte Jane

My reasons:
Matilda - popular/celebrity name with Aussie flavour, Waltzing Matilda
Charlotte - popular/royal name but perhaps Christian and Charlotte too much CH?
Xenia - it's associated with Danish royals, gorgeous name with the X factor
Anneke - slight nod to aunt Anne-Marie and maybe Mary doesn't want to use her own name or it's variants Mary/Marie/Anne-Marie
Dagmar - Danish royal name that has to be used because of the Russian connection
Renee - the French factor, Henrik's mother
Patricia - Mary's sister
Thyra - another Danish royal name that should get a look in
Alexandrine - might be used as a middle name because it's one of QMII's middle name and would satisfy the Alexander suggestors...but would never be used as a first name because of the family connections mentioned in post above...
Jane - Mary's eldest sister
Benedikte - another aunt that would love to be honoured

I might get the order wrong, but I think I have the general pool from which they will choose from :)

Another possibility inspired by Mary's current travel itinerary back to Australia...visiting good friend, Amber in Adelaide....

Adelaide Thyra Renee Patricia
Matilda Dagmar Alexandrine Jane

Adelaide is royal, Germanic/Danish with an Australian flavour and would complete a trifecta of Aussie celeb baby daughters...

Isabella (Nicole Kidman)
Adelaide (Rachel Griffiths)
Matilda (Heath Ledger)

Princess Adelaide and Princess Matilda are my new picks :) Bella, Addy and Tilly...Bella, Laidy, Tilda...???

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom