The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
I think if they'll use Frederik, it will be the danish spelling.
Not Frederick or Friedrick or something else.
Frederik, which is Erik with Fred in front of it, which would make using Erik and then it seem a bit redundant.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't like the name Oscar, but if Frederik and Mary do, I see no reason why they shouldn't use it.
Who knows if, or when, any of the Swedish royal family might want to use the name?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva View Post
None of them in the same generation. And the Henrik case it's exactly what I've mentioned before, using name from your family tree.
I'm pretty sure I know there ages, but that doesn't change the fact that there are two people with the same name in the same family. My point wasn't about tradition, it was about the fact that a person makes the name the name doesn't make a person.

Quote:
From the point of tradition and significance for the family? Yes, they do.
Naming two kings, Oscar is now a tradition?

Quote:
Don't they already have it? How many Frederik's and Christian's are there around in the current reigning royal houses?
Does that mean that a normal person on the street can not name their children Frederik or Christian because it is copyrighted by the DRF? Can you even own a name? Why does a name have to be confined to a specific royal family? It's not like they don't 'own' enough already, it's come down to owning names to keep them from other royal families?
Lord Frederick Windsor - son of Prince Michael and Princess Michael.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I really hope it won't be Oscar. That one should be reserved for Sweden.
Love this name - Oscar - and I really hope Mary and Fred use it...and your theory of names being 'reserved' for a particular royal family with that name in their family trees, is a bit redundant in relation to the Scandinavian royal houses because they are all interrelated in one way or another...And take the case of 'Ingrid'...Queen Ingrid was born in Sweden, married the Prince/King Christian of Denmark and then in 2001 (?) the Crown Prince Couple of Norway used it for their first daughter...???

So maybe Victoria of Sweden shouldn't have been named that either, Victoria should have been 'reserved' for the Brits...? Cultural considerations are as important as family history, and Oscar being popular and well used in Denmark (at the moment) is as important as it being used in the overall family trees of the Scandinavian royal houses...I don't think Mary and Fred will stick to the Danish royal family tree in their search...they will take neighbouring houses into consideration too...Or else we really might end up with a Prince Knud
Old 03-24-2011, 11:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post
Love this name - Oscar - and I really hope Mary and Fred use it...and your theory of names being 'reserved' for a particular royal family with that name in their family trees, is a bit redundant in relation to the Scandinavian royal houses because they are all interrelated in one way or another...And take the case of 'Ingrid'...Queen Ingrid was born in Sweden, married the Prince/King Christian of Denmark and then in 2001 (?) the Crown Prince Couple of Norway used it for their first daughter...???

So maybe Victoria of Sweden shouldn't have been named that either, Victoria should have been 'reserved' for the Brits...? Cultural considerations are as important as family history, and Oscar being popular and well used in Denmark (at the moment) is as important as it being used in the overall family trees of the Scandinavian royal houses...I don't think Mary and Fred will stick to the Danish royal family tree in their search...they will take neighbouring houses into consideration too...Or else we really might end up with a Prince Knud
Because Knud, Frederik and Christian are the only names found in the Danish tree?

But I agree, I think as long as there is some connection to Denmark, the name would be used from another royal family.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:43 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing

A very lovely post :) totally agree.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:49 AM
Courtier

Does someone know why noone from the Swedish royal family are attending?? Its quite odd
Old 03-25-2011, 07:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by betina View Post
Does someone know why noone from the Swedish royal family are attending?? Its quite odd
It is indeed, here about three weeks from the christening.

One of the things that springs to mind, and mind you this is speculation, is that Queen Silvia is more ill than just a nasty flu.
I understand that a number of appointments involving her have been cancelled.
I sincerely hope she is not seriously ill, but that would explain this sudden and quite unusual move from the SRF. Even being extremely busy, they would under normal circumstances be able to send at least one representative.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:37 AM
Serene Highness

But do we know who are coming at all to the christening? I know I havenīt seen a guestlist.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

The guestlist will be published a short time before the christening will begin.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Commoner

I like Jocelyn Adelaide Gertrude Johanna for the girl and Paul Nicholas Andrew John for the boy.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Courtier

We can exclude the other scandinavian royals as godparents.
According to the Norwegian Radio none of the royals will be present at the christening and today I read on the Scandinavian Royal Message Board that also the Swedes will not be there.
The dutch will not assist because they will accompany the Queen on her statevisit to Germany.
I think it will be rather low-key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betina View Post
I think they want to keep it low-key
Old 03-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
It is indeed, here about three weeks from the christening.

One of the things that springs to mind, and mind you this is speculation, is that Queen Silvia is more ill than just a nasty flu.
I understand that a number of appointments involving her have been cancelled.
I sincerely hope she is not seriously ill, but that would explain this sudden and quite unusual move from the SRF. Even being extremely busy, they would under normal circumstances be able to send at least one representative.
Everyone has known about the date for sometime. It appears that they are all free on the date, according to their daily diary.
I also truly hope Queen Silvia is improving
Old 03-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetajiem View Post
We can exclude the other scandinavian royals as godparents.
According to the Norwegian Radio none of the royals will be present at the christening and today I read on the Scandinavian Royal Message Board that also the Swedes will not be there.
The dutch will not assist because they will accompany the Queen on her statevisit to Germany.
I think it will be rather low-key.
It is actually quite common for a royal godparent not to be present at the baptism. Often they are not able to attend due to some other obligation. As long as one or two godparents are present, it is not required they are all there. They have someone stand as their proxy in the ceremony. But I think they will have some royal godparents, but like the Danish and Greek cousins of Fred.

Prince Charles: The king of Norway Haakon VII and his granduncle Prince George of Greece are both his godfathers, but the Earl of Athlone and Prince Philip stood proxy for them as they were not present.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by betina
They're busy. If one of them is named as a godparent, they do not have to be there. Stand ins have been used at many christenings.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Serene Highness

In Denmark you donīt need to have stand-ins.

As long as just minimum two of the faddere (godparents) are present, then the rest can be fadder in absentia (godparent in absentia).
Old 03-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Courtier

Being already godparents to Christian or Isabella I think you can exclude Haakon, Mette Marit, Victoria, Mathilde, Alexia , Pavlos and Joachim as godparents for the twins.

I can' imagine the dutch Royals being godparent in absentia. I am pretty sure that they will/want to be present at the christening when they are godparents.
Queen Beatrix left the spanish wedding to be present at the wedding of her godchild in 2004.
Anyway none of the dutch will be present.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
That doesn't rule them out as not being godparents though.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:43 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Being already godparents to Christian or Isabella I think you can exclude Haakon, Mette Marit, Victoria, Mathilde, Alexia , Pavlos and Joachim as godparents for the twins.

I can' imagine the dutch Royals being godparent in absentia. I am pretty sure that they will/want to be present at the christening when they are godparents.
Queen Beatrix left the spanish wedding to be present at the wedding of her godchild in 2004.
If the queen left a wedding, is it not possible Wilhelm-Alexander and his wife, or even one of them could leave Germany for a day to attend? Since we don't know the guest list, I thought perhaps it is possible. I may be wrong. But I still wouldn't rule it out, in absentia. But i have a feeling the royal godparents likely will be Greek and Danish cousins.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:08 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
If the queen left a wedding, is it not possible Wilhelm-Alexander and his wife, or even one of them could leave Germany for a day to attend? Since we don't know the guest list, I thought perhaps it is possible. I may be wrong. But I still wouldn't rule it out, in absentia. But i have a feeling the royal godparents likely will be Greek and Danish cousins.
I think you can leave during an official state visit unless it is an emergency.It is possible that they are godparents bur that they or not there.