Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
Karl Frederik Georg Albert Bernard
Victoria Igrid Olga Francesca Desiree
Victoria Ingrid Desiree- you do realize dropping the Francesca and changing Olga to Alice, you have the crown princess of Sweden.
Victoria Ingrid Alice Desiree (Desireee being a very Sweedish royal name)

And they tend to use 4 not five names.

I think Allison is likely suggested as it is a middle name of one of Mary's sisters but wouldn't they be more likely to use a sister's name and not a middle name? Only real fans would catch the connection.

I hope if John is used again, it is used for the little princess, as Christian already has John as a name.

Prince Karl Friedrick Peter Joachim

Princess Johanne/Mathilde Thyra Patricia Mary

Old 03-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Serene Highness

I like the name Thyra, I really do, but I doubt they'll use it as the last Princess Thyra didn't have the greatest life.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
I like the name Thyra, I really do, but I doubt they'll use it as the last Princess Thyra didn't have the greatest life.
If we go by the history of the previous holders, almost any name will be thrown out before used. I can't find anything on the last Princess Thyra other than she never married. What made her life so miserable?

Dagmar: Maria Federovna's original name, watched most of her family including son Nicholas II be executed, died in exile, yet the name has been used numerous times since.
Olaf: the first of his name either commited suicide or was sacrificed by his people due to hunger in the country
Eric: Eric II was much hated by the people, killed by his own noble, said his killer walked away with his life though he murdered him in public
Abel: believed to have killed brother, but was cleared of it officially
Christopher: Christopher I came to throne after Abel, was excommunicated from the church, and was poisoned during communion as revenge of his treatment of powerful bishops. Abel's son rebelled against him, with the help of his sister in law and german princes, driving him south.
Valdemar: Valdemar III was widely opposed by his subjects, and forced to abdicate the throne.
Christian: Christian II was known for executing a man accused of killing his mistreess, after the man was cleared of all charges. He lead the bloodbath of stockholm, which saw the murder of 82 people from decapitation or drowning. His already dead enemy Sten Sture's body and that of his small son were exumed, tied to a stake and burned for heresy. His widow was to have been executed, she was given the choice of buried alive or burned, but saved by the nobles. He was later diposed in favor of his Uncle, and spent the rest of his life a prisoner of his Uncle.

Those are just to name a few. I think any name chosen will come with bad and good connotations if you look into the history of the family. It is what the new baby does with the name that matters.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Courtier

Princess Ursula?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilla View Post
Princess Ursula?
Isn't Ursula the witch in the Little Mermaid?

@melissaadrian: As a matter of fact she did get married, but she fell inlove with a lieutenant and got pregnant. Her lover committed suicide after a confrontation with Thyra's father, the King. Now I really don't have any problem with having out of wedlock children, but Thyra's life wasn't a picnic either.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
Isn't Ursula the witch in the Little Mermaid?

@melissaadrian: As a matter of fact she did get married, but she fell inlove with a lieutenant and got pregnant. Her lover committed suicide after a confrontation with Thyra's father, the King. Now I really don't have any problem with having out of wedlock children, but Thyra's life wasn't a picnic either.
Sorry to disappoint you but you said the last one named Thyra. The last was Princess Thyra Louise Carolina Amalia Augusta Elizabeth, daughter of Frederick VIII of Denmark and his wife Princess Louise of Sweden. She was born in 1880 and died in 1945, the only thing I can find on her is this and that she died unmarried.

Frederick VIII named his daughter in honor of his sister, the Princess Thyra of who you spoke. She was born in 1853, 27 years before the birth of her namesake niece, so obviously her sad life was not a hinderance for the name to be used later. Her daughter Maria with her lover was born in 1871 and her lover commited suicide in 1872, eight years before her niece was born. So Frederick already knew his sister had an unhappy teenage life, when he named Thyra after her. His sister did go on to be happily married and have children with Ernst.

And yes Ursula would be to most the octopus witch in Little Mermaid.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:09 AM
Serene Highness

Well, I don't think there would be any problem if this little Princess fell in love with a lieutenant later in life.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
Sorry to disappoint you but you said the last one named Thyra. The last was Princess Thyra Louise Carolina Amalia Augusta Elizabeth, daughter of Frederick VIII of Denmark and his wife Princess Louise of Sweden. She was born in 1880 and died in 1945, the only thing I can find on her is this and that she died unmarried.

Frederick VIII named his daughter in honor of his sister, the Princess Thyra of who you spoke. She was born in 1853, 27 years before the birth of her namesake niece, so obviously her sad life was not a hinderance for the name to be used later. Her daughter Maria with her lover was born in 1871 and her lover commited suicide in 1872, eight years before her niece was born. So Frederick already knew his sister had an unhappy teenage life, when he named Thyra after her. His sister did go on to be happily married and have children with Ernst.
Princess Thyra became pregnant in 1871. She gave birth to a daughter in Greece and the child was adopted by a Danish couple.
It's interestingly that you say the daughter was named Marie and given the title of princess. The source I have my info from states that all traces of the child was covered up.
Thyra later on gave birth to six children, are you sure Marie wasn't among those?
May I know what source you got your info from, Melissaadrian, I should very much like to know more.

I have that story in my archive somewhere. (Found it).
It's interesting in the sense that it provides a picture of how royals back then dealt with such a situation.
Her lover was an adjutant, a dashing looking hussar, and he did indeed commit suicide out of shame.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:48 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Princess Thyra became pregnant in 1871. She gave birth to a daughter in Greece and the child was adopted by a Danish couple.
It's interestingly that you say the daughter was named Marie and given the title of princess. The source I have my info from states that all traces of the child was covered up.
Thyra later on gave birth to six children, are you sure Marie wasn't among those?
May I know what source you got your info from, Melissaadrian, I should very much like to know more.

I have that story in my archive somewhere. (Found it).
It's interesting in the sense that it provides a picture of how royals back then dealt with such a situation.
Her lover was an adjutant, a dashing looking hussar, and he did indeed commit suicide out of shame.
Where did I say she was named a princess? No where. I said she was named Marie, the source of which is several websites including Princess Thyra of Denmark - Biography - The Biographicon. She was adopted and renamed, but the name was reported as being Marie. Thyra did have six children with Ernst, eldest of whom was also named Maria. But I never mentioned at all that Marie was given the title princess.

Thyra had with Ernst

Princess Maria Louise (not the Marie above) who married Prince Maximillian of Baden and had two children
Prince George William- died in a car accident sadly on the way to the funeral of Frederick VIII of Denmark's funeral, his Uncle, not married.
Princess Alexandra: married the Duke of Mecklenberg-Schwerin and had five children, including a Princess Thyra who died in 1981
Princess Olga- died unmarried
Prince Christian- died of appendicitas and perionitas at age 16
Prince Ernst Augustus-succeeded his father as Duke, married and had five children

But my point had nothing to do with the illegitamite daughter, who I never said was called a princess. My point was you were wrong, that Princess Thyra, daughter of Christian IX was the last holder of the name. Yes, the suicide of her lover is sad. But her niece and namesake Princess Thyra, daughter of Friedrick VIII, born 27 years after her, is the last person in the direct Danish royal family with the name. And more indirect, her grandaughter from her daughter Alexandra, also holds the name (though this is a German princess and not a Danish). So if Friedrick would name his daughter Thyra even knowing the history of his sister, it is not unlikely that the name would pop up once again.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:03 AM
Majesty

Cool it now, Melissaadrian.
You didn't state Marie was given the title of princess. I just got that into my head. That happens, you know. Human mistakes and all that. - Not least when watching the news at same time...

Anyway, thanks for the link.

That the daughter was named Marie and who she was adopted by is new to me. And pretty interesting.
- And no, I'm not questioning your source, I really, honestly find it interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
Where did I say she was named a princess? No where. I said she was named Marie, the source of which is several websites including Princess Thyra of Denmark - Biography - The Biographicon. She was adopted and renamed, but the name was reported as being Marie. Thyra did have six children with Ernst, eldest of whom was also named Maria. But I never mentioned at all that Marie was given the title princess.

Thyra had with Ernst

Princess Maria Louise (not the Marie above) who married Prince Maximillian of Baden and had two children
Prince George William- died in a car accident sadly on the way to the funeral of Frederick VIII of Denmark's funeral, his Uncle, not married.
Princess Alexandra: married the Duke of Mecklenberg-Schwerin and had five children, including a Princess Thyra who died in 1981
Princess Olga- died unmarried
Prince Christian- died of appendicitas and perionitas at age 16
Prince Ernst Augustus-succeeded his father as Duke, married and had five children

But my point had nothing to do with the illegitamite daughter, who I never said was called a princess. My point was you were wrong, that Princess Thyra, daughter of Christian IX was the last holder of the name. Yes, the suicide of her lover is sad. But her niece and namesake Princess Thyra, daughter of Friedrick VIII, born 27 years after her, is the last person in the direct Danish royal family with the name. And more indirect, her grandaughter from her daughter Alexandra, also holds the name (though this is a German princess and not a Danish). So if Friedrick would name his daughter Thyra even knowing the history of his sister, it is not unlikely that the name would pop up once again.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:46 AM
Gentry

This is going to sound like a very stupid question but here goes. Does QMII have to ok the children's names before they are anounced like in the BRFor is it compleately up M&F?

Please excuse my spelling and gramar, I have dislexiya.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:48 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I didn't know QEII had to okay childrens names?
Old 03-12-2011, 07:03 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I didn't know QEII had to okay childrens names?
I've heard it a couple of times but mostly in my legal practice class. To be honest I think these days it's more of curtousy thing e.g. if/when William & Kate have a child they visit QEII and say "Granny we'd like to call him/her xyz" and if QEII likes it she'll say "yes that's a nice name" and if she doesn't she'll say something like " well have you thought about abc" and then there's a little negotion between QEII and the parents

Please excuse my spelling and gramar, I have dislexiya.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Stocking View Post
I've heard it a couple of times but mostly in my legal practice class. To be honest I think these days it's more of curtousy thing e.g. if/when William & Kate have a child they visit QEII and say "Granny we'd like to call him/her xyz" and if QEII likes it she'll say "yes that's a nice name" and if she doesn't she'll say something like " well have you thought about abc" and then there's a little negotion between QEII and the parents
That sounds very plausible to me.

I can't imagine QMII vetoing a name, unless it's completely idiotic.

I can fully understand if M&F inform QMII and PH. If for no other reason than that she is the Monarch, but I wonder if they also tell the other close relatives, like Joachim and Benedikte?
Old 03-13-2011, 05:57 AM
Gentry

These are my suggestions:

Prince William Andrč Frederik Henri

Princess Mathilde/a Elizabeth Ingrid Margrethe

Or what about princess Pernille? Not very royal maybe, but Pernille is such a nice Danish name!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Royal Highness

How about Princess Margareth Mary Elisabeth and Prince Eric Francis Alexander? As for godmothers, Princesses Maxima ( for the girl ) and Chantal Miller ( for the boy ) and for godfathers, Princes Willem Alexander ( for the girl ) and Paul from Greece ( for the boy ). Remember that the Danis and the Greek Royal families are related...
Old 03-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazuli View Post
How about Princess Margareth Mary Elisabeth and Prince Eric Francis Alexander? As for godmothers, Princesses Maxima ( for the girl ) and Chantal Miller ( for the boy ) and for godfathers, Princes Willem Alexander ( for the girl ) and Paul from Greece ( for the boy ). Remember that the Danis and the Greek Royal families are related...
I like Prince Eric but the children will likely have 4 names not 3. Also Prince Pavlos is already godfather to Prince Christian
Old 03-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
I like Prince Eric but the children will likely have 4 names not 3. Also Prince Pavlos is already godfather to Prince Christian
I like Eric too, but due to the fact that the baby will likely have Friedrick as a middle name due to naming practices, I have to agree with others who doubt the combination. I am continuing to hope they do not double up on any baby names from Christian and Isabella, like reusing both Ingrid and Margrethe. If they reuse Margrethe for Grandma, I'd like to see a Princess Margrethe, not once again as a second/third/fourth christian name. Even among royal names there are so many I don't see the need to use them twice. They honored those family members already, how about honoring some others.

Along with more than 3 names, they tend to have more than 2 godparents as well.

Perhaps for the princess

godparents: Prince Gustav (Benedikte's son), Patricia Bailey (Mary's sister), Princess Maxima, two family friends

and the prince

godparents: Prince Daniel, Princess Theodora of Greece, John Donaldson (Mary's brother), two family friends

A cousin of Fred's for both, a royal friend for both, a member of Mary's family for both (Jane was already godmother) and than 2 family friends.

My favorites for names are Karl and Johanne (or Margrethe if they want to reuse it but only as a first christian name).
Old 03-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Royal Highness

Oh, i didn´t know that Isabella was already named after her grandmother, neither that Prince Paul was already godfather for Christian. I then propose the name Catherine Mary Elisabeth Ann for the little princess and John Eric Francis Alexander for the little prince; as for godparents i choose the hereditary couple of Holland for her and Felipe and Letizia for the little boy...
Old 03-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Courtier

Natalie and Noel ?

Closed Thread