The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
It isn´t that common in Denmark to keep the name a secret until the christening :)
Perhaps you are right. Perhaps I am right. Who knows? I wonder if there has ever been made a study on the subject?

Old 03-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
I'm hoping for Prince Oscar and Princess Charlotte.
Both classic names that are in fashion, both can be found in the DRF history and the Danish and English pronounciation is not too different
Love these name suggestion BUT I am not sure if Mary and Fred will go for a doubling up of name initials Christian and Charlotte...although they sound different (Kristian and Sharlotte)...the similar future monogram might be an issue for them...although I really do love Charlotte, I am kind of thinking it won't happen...

Old 03-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I like the name Charlotte, but not Oscar.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Serene Highness

Oscar always reminds me of the Tin Drum The Tin Drum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Isn't there also a Sesame Street character named Oscar?
Old 03-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen
Oscar always reminds me of the Tin Drum The Tin Drum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, I think he's green and lives in a dustbin. I like the name, though.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Aristocracy

I've no idea if this a name that is popular or likely in Denmark but I suddenly had the thought of Alice for the girl, and Alexander for the boy. But not as a pair, like don't have Alice & Alexander, just Alice & something else for the boy or Alexander & something else for the girl because personally I kinda dislike when twins have sort of matchy names (same first letters or 2 names that form a famous pairing like Bill & Ben or stuff like that...just my personal thing ).

Still thinking Erik is going to turn up in the boy's name, no idea why, it just keeps popping into my head...not that that means anything at all
Old 03-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossop7 View Post
I've no idea if this a name that is popular or likely in Denmark but I suddenly had the thought of Alice for the girl, and Alexander for the boy. But not as a pair, like don't have Alice & Alexander, just Alice & something else for the boy or Alexander & something else for the girl because personally I kinda dislike when twins have sort of matchy names (same first letters or 2 names that form a famous pairing like Bill & Ben or stuff like that...just my personal thing ).
Alice isn't currently in Denmark's top 50 most popular names, although it is very popular in Sweden.

Denmark's top 15 names from the first half of 2010:

Ida, Isabella, Anna, Mathilde, Freja, Maja, Caroline, Sofie, Emma, Sara, Lærke, Laura, Alberte, Josefine, Clara

William, Noah, Lucas, Magnus, Mikkel, Mathias, Victor, Frederik, Oscar, Mads, Emil, Gustav, Sebastian, Oliver, Alexander

See the whole top 50 here: Mest populære navne for danskere født i et bestemt år - Danmarks Statistik
Old 03-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Courtier

I hope they don't use Alice...I have this name saved for Prince William and the future Princess Catherine's first child I would love to see a little Princess Alice of Wales (or whatever)...So please Mary and Frederik, if you are reading this, DO NOT USE Alice...

Oscar and Matilda (Mathilde) are in the top 15, still hoping for these two...and since Oliver is also in the top 15, would love to see them using the similar sounding name of Olafur...

eta: Just checked out the popular Danish name link, Kathleen...love those names...these are the ones they can/will possibly use:

Girls: Anna, Mathilde, Frida, Amalie, Olivia, Frederikke, Astrid, Johanne, Filippa
Boys: William, Oscar, Gustav, Sebastian, Oliver, Andreas, Marius, Alfred, Johan
Old 03-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
No, children were baptized very shortly after the birth in the old days, because of the high infant mortality rate.
It was actually the christening that was considered the most important thing, not the birth. The child's salvation or affilliation with the Christian faith had top priority. - Should the child die anyway later on, it least its soul would be safe.

The tradition about not mentioning the name of a child before the christening is also very old. That was to avoid the Devil luring the child to him by calling out the name of the child, before the child had been baptized.
Thanks Muhler, after I read your response, it made perfect sense and my question sound really silly, I must of been tired. LOL Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question, I am jealous that you live in Denmark and get to have a Royal Family
Old 03-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post
I hope they don't use Alice...I have this name saved for Prince William and the future Princess Catherine's first child I would love to see a little Princess Alice of Wales (or whatever)...So please Mary and Frederik, if you are reading this, DO NOT USE Alice...
After William's Great-grandmother?
(I really thought Prince Andrew would use this for one of his daughters, but he didn't. Too bad).
Old 03-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post

Yes Oscar the grouch, my favorite Sesamea street character ever. He lives in a garbage can.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Courtier

Look at all the other famous Oscar's out there...surely we don't need to worry about ONE little grouch in a trashcan

Oscar Wilde
Oscar de la Renta
King Oscar (various of Norway or Sweden)
Oscar Hammerstein
Oscar Schindler

Popular both in Denmark and Australia, that should count for something?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossop7 View Post

Still thinking Erik is going to turn up in the boy's name, no idea why, it just keeps popping into my head...not that that means anything at all

I think we'd see Alice before Alexander, since Mary has a nephew named Alexander, as well as it has been used recently among the royal babies. I'm not sure about Alice though, doesn't sound too Danish to me. I think it would be more likely for a daugher of Will and Kate if they have one.

Alice comes from the French word Adelais, which comes from the Old German Adelheidis. Though Alice may be used in modern Denmark, the traditional seems to be either Adelaide or Adeli, both in the Danish family tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post
Look at all the other famous Oscar's out there...surely we don't need to worry about ONE little grouch in a trashcan

Oscar Wilde
Oscar de la Renta
King Oscar (various of Norway or Sweden)
Oscar Hammerstein
Oscar Schindler

Popular both in Denmark and Australia, that should count for something?
Aah but Oscar the Grouch is the best, if they name him Prince Oscar I will think of him as the little Mupppet prince.

He could also be nicknamed Sam. Make a good sailor like his dad. There is a cat named Oscar, nicknamed the unsinkable sam, who was on three naval ships in WWII. He survived the sinking of all three, including the Bismark.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Aristocracy

I know I have guessed a range of names.
Upon consideration, these are my final suggestions...

The Little Princess:
Cleo Victoria Rosemary Filippa
Rosa Adelheid Daisy Filippa - Rosie
Sophie Alexandrine Mary Filippa
Filippa Rose Alexandrine Lovisa
Bridget Rosa Alexandrine Mary

The Little Prince:
Thomas Frederik Nicholas Ulrik
Archibald Frederik Nicholas Ulrik - Archie

Inspired by floral representations of grandmothers; names associated with names of twins - Cleo, Philip and Thomas; Mary and Frederik; Christmas names; the first name of Lord Sydney; horse lover name;
some royal names associated with places in Australia; Saint Ulrik is
patron of safe childbirh; Saint Nicholas is patron saint of seafarers.
Royal names in Danish history -Ulrik, Alexandrine, Sophie, Lovisa.
And I chose names with nice meanings that I, personally, see as attractive for a little girl and boy of these times.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Courtier

Would love Prince Archibald now...I had forgotten about the Sydney references and connections, where Mary and Fred met (in Sydney), the Archibald fountain and the Archibald art prize...and luckily it is also a family name in Mary's family, being the name of her grandfather, her mother Henrietta's father...My suggested combo might be:

Prince Archibald Peter Oscar Frederik (Prince Archie)
Old 03-09-2011, 11:46 PM
Serene Highness

Oscar sounds too much like Nascar, and is the name of a film award.

Archibald is much nicer, although I can't imagine actually calling a baby Archibald. Archie. I have pleasant associations to Archie.

And sure - why not name him all of the above? Prince Archie.

Oh, and Astrid for the girl. Astrid and Archie. Adorable.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:11 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
I know I have guessed a range of names.
Upon consideration, these are my final suggestions...

The Little Princess:
Cleo Victoria Rosemary Filippa
Rosa Adelheid Daisy Filippa - Rosie
Sophie Alexandrine Mary Filippa
Filippa Rose Alexandrine Lovisa
Bridget Rosa Alexandrine Mary

The Little Prince:
Thomas Frederik Nicholas Ulrik
Archibald Frederik Nicholas Ulrik - Archie

Inspired by floral representations of grandmothers; names associated with names of twins - Cleo, Philip and Thomas; Mary and Frederik; Christmas names; the first name of Lord Sydney; horse lover name;
some royal names associated with places in Australia; Saint Ulrik is
patron of safe childbirh; Saint Nicholas is patron saint of seafarers.
Royal names in Danish history -Ulrik, Alexandrine, Sophie, Lovisa.
And I chose names with nice meanings that I, personally, see as attractive for a little girl and boy of these times.
I am not getting the association of Cleo with twins, or Rose with a grandmother, I know Daisy is Margrethe's nickname. Or for that matter the Christmas names.

I can see honoring her family and Oz roots in middle names, but I still think it will be Danish names for the first name, they are members of the Danish royal family after all.

The little prince

Prince Karl Friedrick Archibald Joachim

Karl-Danish for Charles means free man, name found in both families
Friedrick- peaceful ruler
Archibald-bold for Mary's family
Joachim-raised by God,not only Uncle, but Saint Joachim was father to the Virgin Mary

Prince Anders Friedrick Peter Joachim

Anders-Danish name but not from Danish royal tree, variation of Andrea for Henrik's father and Andrew for one of Mary's relatives, means manly
Friedrick-dad
Peter-Mary's family
Joachim-again Uncle

Anders a Danish name, with connections to the family, but not a royal name. Kind of like Joachim's eldest son. I like Karl better.

The little princess

Princess Johanne Thyra Mary Renee

Johanne-god is gracious, feminine of John for Mary's dad and brother
Thyra-derived from Thor which means thunder, Danish royal name
Mary-for mum
Renee- Henrik's mother, born again

or

Princess Mathilde Renee Mary Elizabeth

Mathilde: strength in battle, from Danish family tree, but also Oz link
Renee: Henrik's mother
Mary: mum
Elizabeth:god is my oath, name taken from both families

so if sticking to royal names Prince Karl and Princess Mathilde

or Danish names but with more family ties like Joachim's sons Princess Johanne and Prince Anders

I personally like Prince Karl and Princess Johanne, a mix of both
Old 03-10-2011, 04:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81 View Post
Thanks Muhler, after I read your response, it made perfect sense and my question sound really silly, I must of been tired. LOL Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question, I am jealous that you live in Denmark and get to have a Royal Family
You are welcome.

There is no such thing as silly questions, only silly answers.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:19 AM
Aristocracy

Yes, Melissaadrian, I do see your logic in Karl and Johanne.
They are sweet names.

Cleo - Queen Cleopatra had twins - the girl was called Cleopatra Selene
Mary and Nicholas - Saint Nicholas/Santa Claus & Mary mother of Jesus
Rosa - I read an article that stated that Mary's late mother loved her rose garden and that roses were her favourite flower.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Nobility

Why would the Danish crown prince couple name their child after Cleopatra's daughter? She was an Egyptian queen of Greek descent...no Danish ties there.

for den lillepig:
Anna Catharina Helene Mary
Charlotte Johanne Lovisa Mary

for den lilledreng:
Christoffer William Andre Alexander
Johan Alexander Frederik René

Closed Thread