The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Now Charlotte and Oscar are modern yet traditional. Thyra and Knud are old and not modern. IMO.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Could I ask why people think Mary and Frederik are going to pick traditional names, like Thrya, Dagmar, Waldermar etc?
Well, I don't think that it would be the baby's first name, more like 2nd or 3rd, but if we take Dagmar, to honor Princess Dagmar, the Tsarina of Russia. Idk :P

Old 08-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Could I ask why people think Mary and Frederik are going to pick traditional names, like Thrya, Dagmar, Waldermar etc?
Because traditions are everything in monarchies. The same names get recycled over and over again. Most, if not all royal names are picked from the royal family tree. Especially names that have deep meaning to a country, such asValdemar and Knud. It's continuity and continuity is very important within a monarchy. Even Isabella, which might sound like a modern, trendy name is actually a very old name many Royal families have used for many generations. Ferdinand and Isabella? And Isabella was a consort to a King Christian in Denmark in either the 1500 or 1600's.

I don't think Fred and Mary will be naming any of their children Knud or Gorm anytime soon, but you never know.

I think Thyra is a beautiful name.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Yeah Isabella is more of a modern name then a traditional one though. Thyra, Knud, Dagmar, Valdemar are old traditional names.
If tradtion is everything, why does Joachim have two boys named Nikolai and Felix?

IMO Tradition and continuity isn't that important in this monarchy, you can see it in the way they are, they are a modern family, and I would expect modern names from the couple. They did the traditional for Christian because they had to.

I will be shocked if they go old school. Ingrid I can understand, Margrethe maybe.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfc149 View Post
Christian was sure but Isabella is a very modern name. Don't think they will chose traditional ones, at least not for the first name.
Isabella sounds modern to us but it is also very traditional. A 16th century Queen of Denmark, Norway and Sweden was Isabella of Austria, the granddaughter of Isabella I of Castile.

I don't know whether they will choose traditional names but I think they should. Those children will one day be children of the King of Denmark. Their chances of succeeding to the throne of Denmark are not as small as their cousins'.

I agree that Charlotte and Oscar are good names. The babies' ancestors have been named Oscar: King Oscar I and King Oscar II of Sweden
Old 08-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Royal Highness

I don't think they had a choice when it came to naming Christian, same as Christian's first son will be called Frederik. Isabella is modern but also has links to their family history so I am counting on something similar for the twins.

Some posters are suggesting Valdemar, John, Ingrid and Margrethe but Christian and Isabella already have these as middle names. Is it likely they will be used again?
Old 08-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Royal Highness

There can be a lot of reasons why Frederik & Mary choose the name Isabella. Isabella is another version of the name Elizabeth which is Mary's middle name, there's also been several Queen's named Isabella & P Isabella was born on April 21st which is also Queen Elizabeth's birthday & maybe that is also why they named her that? :P

I think that if they get a daughter, they'll name her either Dagmar or Thyra as 2nd, 3rd or 4th name, the reason why I believe that is that I think that they want the name to be as international as possible, also because Mary is australian.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Nobility

I believe that choosing anything other than name forms used in Denmark would be a mistake. John would be awful. The babies will one day be children of the King of Denmark. I do not believe that Mary's ancestry should affect choosing their first name. Wouldn't the Danish people be alienated from the royal family if the heir to the throne named his son John instead of Johan or Hans or whatever form is used in Denmark?
Old 08-08-2010, 01:15 AM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post
I believe that choosing anything other than name forms used in Denmark would be a mistake. John would be awful. The babies will one day be children of the King of Denmark. I do not believe that Mary's ancestry should affect choosing their first name. Wouldn't the Danish people be alienated from the royal family if the heir to the throne named his son John instead of Johan or Hans or whatever form is used in Denmark?

I share entirely your opinion, Kotroman. The names of the twins must be Danish. If not, it's like they are not members of DANISH Royal family. I suppose that Princess Mary and Prince Frederik would not name any of their children with a foreign name.

Vanesa.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
Given that the pronunciation is "Dowmar" I fail to see what the ozzie slang "Dag" has to do with it.
Well, if you can't see the tabloid press' alluding to a new princess as 'Princess Daggy.........'

Perhaps the twins' mother can.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:45 AM
Nobility

Well, i can think of a few danish names like Preben(good fotballplayer in the 80ths) or Brian(also good foballplayer in teh 80ths, brother to Preben). Peter is a common name.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:58 AM
Aristocracy

I think if they are twin girls they will be Ingrid and Viktoria, or Ingrid and Marie

If they are boys - I have no idea!
Old 08-08-2010, 03:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

How about Benedikte and Anne Marie for girls.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:48 AM
Heir Apparent

i think princess marie is a safe bet when it comes to godparents. i also think they will choose another european crown prince or princess. it seems they have chosen victoria and mette marit already, so my guess would be maxima and letizia this time, one for each of the twins (although they are both catholic, but they picked mathilde before). caroline heering, tanja doky, carina axelsson or helle reedtz are also good bets.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-08-2010, 04:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
How about Benedikte and Anne Marie for girls.
I have also been thinking about Benedikte for a girl, followed perhaps by Jane.
They might choose Waldemar for a boy - it's an old traditional royal name which has gained some popularity in recent years, so it would be both modern and traditional. One of Joachim's boys has Waldemar as his middle name but I don't think that would be a problem.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:32 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
I have also been thinking about Benedikte for a girl, followed perhaps by Jane.
They might choose Waldemar for a boy - it's an old traditional royal name which has gained some popularity in recent years, so it would be both modern and traditional. One of Joachim's boys has Waldemar as his middle name but I don't think that would be a problem.
Christian's first middle name in Valdemar.

Well if they name the children Dagmar or Thyra or something old, I will truely feel sorry for the children when they grow up.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:03 AM
Courtier

I have come back with some possible combos:

Matilda Dagmar Olympia Jane
Anneke Thyra Renee Patricia

Olafur Vilhelm Archibald Frederik
Harald Johan Aage Christian

Matilda Dagmar Olympia Ingrid
Oscar Harald Archibald Frederik

Basically, I would like them to include a bit of australian flavour (Matilda), few of Mary's family names (Jane, Patricia, Archibald), a name signifying where they met (Olympia) and some obscure Danish royal family names (Aage, Dagmar, Thyra), even a Icelandic dark horse (Olafur)...I have no idea and can't wait, I think because they put the world into a spin because they used John with Christian and Isabella, I think we should just expect the unexpected...

I like the idea of:
Matilda & Anneke
Matilda & Charlotte
Matilda & Olympia
Matilda & Oscar
Matilda & Olafur
Charlotte & Oscar
Charlotte & Olafur
Oscar & Harald
Olafur & Harald
Old 08-08-2010, 06:24 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I don't know. It bugs me so much that I don't know how old you have to be to be a godparent, because then I would totally go for Prince Nikolai, him & Frederik seems so close.
In lutheran churches you can be godparent, when you had your confirmation. The Confirmation is usually with 14 (or sometimes 13) years old.
So Nikolai would be ways to young.

i think they will take godparents out of their private circle (friends etc.). Already Isabella's godparents where hardly known before, besides Mathilde and Alexia. So now they might take Princess Marie and 5 friends for one twin, and Prince Daniel and 5 friends for the other twin.

I cannot image they will use something as old and clunky as Dagmar for a first name.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:29 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post

Because how many people would actually know to pronounce Dagmar as "Dowmar" and not Dagmar as it is written? I know I certainly didn't before I watched the The Royal Family documentary. That would be the problem with Dagmar (they could use Thyra if they wanted to use a historical Danish name - reads much nicer)..
There is a pronunciation problem with Thyra also. Most people would pronounce it to rhymn with thyroid rather than Tewra which is the correct pronunciation. Some simple education of the press when the names are announced would be all that was needed. Yeah, sure there will be some gutter press who come up with thing like "Princess Daggy" & "Princess Thyroid" but I cannot see they would be in the majority. Look at Princess Eugenie. No one comments much about her name now and yet when she was born it was considered very old fashioned and pronounciatian went as far as Ewwww Jeanie!!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:36 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
There is a pronunciation problem with Thyra also. Most people would pronounce it to rhymn with thyroid rather than Tewra which is the correct pronunciation. Some simple education of the press when the names are announced would be all that was needed. Yeah, sure there will be some gutter press who come up with thing like "Princess Daggy" & "Princess Thyroid" but I cannot see they would be in the majority. Look at Princess Eugenie. No one comments much about her name now and yet when she was born it was considered very old fashioned and pronounciatian went as far as Ewwww Jeanie!!
i'm totally unsecure how to pronounce this names. Is there a way of listening to the names? You tube eg?
I say "Tüüüra", "Dagmar", and "Öschenie" (french pronunciation). But that writing only works with german.

Edit: Dagmar (pronunciation by a danish) http://de.forvo.com/word/dagmar#cs
(German pronunciation is a lot more similar to the Czech one in the same link)

Eugenie in the french way: http://de.forvo.com/word/eug%C3%A9nie_de_montijo#fr

(from you tube) Here a Danish man says Thyra (the very first word):