The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Yes, William is godfather to Constantine Alexios, Prince Pavlos' eldest son. The Greeks, at this stage, are the only royals I can see asking the Wales boys to be godfathers to their children (Princess Diana was also godmother of Prince Philippos in the '80s).

Old 02-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Courtier

Well, if William is godparent to a Greek royal child, then I see a pattern...Isn't William's grandfather, Prince Philip part of the Greek royal family? So maybe that is to create ties between the two houses...And as for Prince Edward being Nikolai's godparent, could that be related to Alexandra's part-Englishness (her mother is English and her father is part-English)...So employing a English royal grandparent covers both bases (English and a royal)...

So I was wondering with Mary's Scottish roots, if there were any royal houses/titles related to Scottish royals...Well, of course there is Prince Philip again, being the Duke of Edinburgh and all But he is way too old...Maybe Prince Harry will be the next Duke of Edinburgh and he can be a godparent and if the baby boy is called Prince Harald like I am hoping, Prince Harry of Denmark will have Prince Harry of Wales as his godparent...too cute!

Old 02-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Well, the GRF does have ties to the BRF. I know Phillip was a Prince of Greece and Denmark...but honestly, he has never spent a lot of time there from what I can see.

Constatine is the godfather of William. Charles is the godfather of Pavolos and Maria Olympia. I don't even know why Edward is the godfather of Nikolai (and I don't think it has anything to do with Alexandra) ...basically I don't understand know if any relationship exists between Joachim and Edward. I can't even find any proof that Edward even attended Nikolai's christening. If anyone has proof, that would be great!

I can understand if Edward and/or Sohie was made a godparent to one of the twins, as they have the tour of the Continental weddings as the BRF representative. But that just goes to show IMO that we really don't know anything about the relationships of the royals. We think we know but we don't.

So if any member of the BRF is going to be a godparent...I would think it would be Edward and/or Sophie. But I think that Mary and Frederik are a lot closer to other royals, friends and family so they will honor them as godparents instead of Edward and/or Sophie. And certainly not William and/or Catherine.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:27 AM
Courtier

So what about Prince Harry...? Nah, maybe not, he's too young and controversial
Old 02-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Charles is the godfather of Pavolos and Maria Olympia. I don't even know why Edward is the godfather of Nikolai (and I don't think it has anything to do with Alexandra) ...basically I don't understand know if any relationship exists between Joachim and Edward. I can't even find any proof that Edward even attended Nikolai's christening. If anyone has proof, that would be great!
He was definetly not in the official pics, so I think it is safe to assume, that he wasn't present.

Christening nikolai denmark image by Waterstn on Photobucket
Old 02-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81 View Post
Off topic but isn't Prince William Godparent to one of the Greek grandchildren. I remember cause he had surgery and was holding the baby with one arm. I think Prince William or Harry would be great but I doubt it, I think it will be only one royal per each child& the rest family&friends.
William is godparent to Constantine Alexios of Greece. But I think the british royals are closer to the greeks than the danes.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
William is godparent to Constantine Alexios of Greece. But I think the british royals are closer to the greeks than the danes.
I think another factor here is, that the Greek Royals live in London
Old 02-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317

Constantine Alexios has a lot of heirs as godparents. Maybe Pavlos just asked everyone?
Old 02-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
Constantine Alexios has a lot of heirs as godparents. Maybe Pavlos just asked everyone?
I think he asked like four of them? Much like Ingrid Alexandra of Norway.

For the twins I think it will be royalty who are family and that's it.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Courtier

I would like to think Mary's trip to Australia last year has some bearing on the 'regal' name she give her girl twin...Mary, in the past has never been to Adelaide before, I think even when Amber lived there, Mary's Australian friends have always come to her in Sydney, Melbourne and Hobart...So with that being the first ever time (maybe as Crown Princess) that Mary has visited the city, I am hoping that is a massive hint as to what the girls name will be...Would love:

Adelaide Matilda Patricia Jane

and for the boy, well since Mary didn't become a big movie star and win an Academy Award, the next best thing is to name your child:

Oscar Archibald Peter Frederik

And coincidently, two Aussie actors have kids with these names, Rachel Griffiths has a Adelaide and Hugh Jackman has a Oscar...And the trifecta is that Nicole Kidman has a Isabella :)

Hurry up April 14th!!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Serene Highness

As an aside, what are they going to do about the christening gown? They can't both wear it at the same time!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:06 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Either two new ones, or use the one that Henrik was christened in?
Old 02-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Serene Highness

Hm, I would guess that it is either two new ones or a replica of the original one
Old 02-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Courtier

Which Henrik Lumutqueen? And if there is another 'old' christening robe doing the rounds then it stands to reason it will be used alongside the other really old one that Margrethe, Frederik, Christian and Isabella were christened in...
Old 02-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Henrik Jr. I believe there was a gown made for Nikolai and Felix, another made for Henrik Jr.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Serene Highness

Lumutqueen, you are right, there was one for Nikolai and Felix and one for Henrik Jr.
I think they were both designed by Henrik Hviid?
Old 02-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Indeed they were, just found where I originally asked. :)
Old 02-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post
Well, if William is godparent to a Greek royal child, then I see a pattern...Isn't William's grandfather, Prince Philip part of the Greek royal family? So maybe that is to create ties between the two houses...And as for Prince Edward being Nikolai's godparent, could that be related to Alexandra's part-Englishness (her mother is English and her father is part-English)...So employing a English royal grandparent covers both bases (English and a royal)...

So I was wondering with Mary's Scottish roots, if there were any royal houses/titles related to Scottish royals...Well, of course there is Prince Philip again, being the Duke of Edinburgh and all But he is way too old...Maybe Prince Harry will be the next Duke of Edinburgh and he can be a godparent and if the baby boy is called Prince Harald like I am hoping, Prince Harry of Denmark will have Prince Harry of Wales as his godparent...too cute!
Why is he way too old? There have been great grandparents who have been godparents.

And since when is Harry the future Duke of Edinburgh? The title reverts to the throne, when Philip dies, but it has been stated Elizabeth intends for the title to pass to Edward, why he is only an Earl right now. So if you want the future Duke of Edinburgh, you'd be looking at Edward or his wife. And considering Edward and Sophie seem to have more links to the continent, they attend more weddings and such, they are far more likely. Mary and Fred are not likely to pick just some random royal, but someone they have a connection to. If they were going random, it may not be royal, but Scotland has no shortage of nobility aka non royal dukes, earls, marquess and so on.

Mary is a Donaldson, a sept of the MacDonald clan, so if she went for an impersonal link to her Scottish heritage, not someone she has personal link to:

Godfrey James Macdonald, 8th Baron MacDonald of Slate, chief of clan Donald, Donaldsons are a sept of Clan Donald.
or
Alexander Douglas-Hamilton, 16th Duke of Hamilton and Brandon, the family is the descendents of the Earls of Angus, who before the union of the crowns over saw the Selkirk area, of which Mary's family comes from
or
the younger brother of the Duke of Hamilton, James Douglas-Hamilton who is Baron Selkirk, a life peerage. He was 11th earl of selkirk, but he disclaimed his title, to retain his position in the house of lords. His son is heir to the title of Earl still though.

I personally think they'd go with people they know, then some distant Scottish connection like a British royal just because she has Scottish blood.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Courtier

Thanks Melissa for the info...Just boredom on my part waiting for the big day on April 14th...And Prince Philip IS old, just heard this week that he is 90 years old, I never knew that he was THAT old!!! Because royalty are forever in our radar and always around, that's why to me they seem ageless or immortal
Old 02-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post
Thanks Melissa for the info...Just boredom on my part waiting for the big day on April 14th...And Prince Philip IS old, just heard this week that he is 90 years old, I never knew that he was THAT old!!! Because royalty are forever in our radar and always around, that's why to me they seem ageless or immortal
Well I guess in fairness Prince Philip (who will be 90 in June) is older then Queen Victoria Eugenie when she was named godmother to her great grandson, the current prince of Astrurius. She was only 81 at the time, died a year later. As was Queen Mary, when she served as godmother to her great grandson Prince Charles. She at least survived till he was 5. But there are a number of grandparents/great grandparents/granduncles who were named godparents.

Closed Thread