The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:43 AM
Commoner

godparents

lumutqueen,didn't realise you were so knowledgeable about the various Royals comings and goings,unofficial visits,unofficial phone calls etc. Obviously they must let you know everything they do and don't do.
It was afterall only a suggestion,good grief!

Old 02-13-2011, 04:31 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post
I don't think grandparents would ever be considered as godparents...they are grandparents and give guidance and wisdom in other ways and being older also hinders their ability to be there when the godchild comes of age...I think the godparent is usually someone of the same age group as the parents or younger, someone with similar values to the parents and someone who can offer a insight into the character and life of their parents (which is why it is important for Mary to always choose an Australian godparent)...

So I really don't see grandparents, John Donaldson, and wife Susan Moody and QM and Prince Henrik EVER being considered for this role at all...I see Patricia Bailey being chosen as (one of) the girls godparents and John Donaldson jnr being chosen for the boy...then all siblings (of Mary) have a godchild and make up the Australian criteria...or vice versa

There is royal precedence. Infanta Leonor of Spain's godparents are the King and Queen of Spain, her grandparents.

Prince Felipe's godparents are not only his grandfather Infante Juan, Count of Barcelona, but his Great-grandmother Victoria-Eugenia.

Prince Willem-Alexander's godfather includes his grandfather, Prince Bernhard (it seems in the Netherlands there is also a tradition for a godparent to be a member of parliament, both he and his daughter Catharina, have)

The Duke of Brabant, Prince Philippe's godparents include his paternal grandfather King Leopold III, and his maternal grandmother Donna Luisa, Princess Ruffo di Calabria.

Crown prince Hakon has his grandfather Olav V,

Ingrid-Alexandra's godparents include King Harald her grandfather, and her maternal grandmother

Sverre-Magnus has his grandmother Queen Sonja

Princess Eugenie of York has her maternal grandfather's second wife as a godmother so step grandma (Kind of like Susan Moody)

Charles has his grandfather, Queen Mary (great-grandmother), Prince George of Greece (his granduncle), the dowager Marchioness of Milford Haven (his paternal great-grandmother), and David Bowes-Lyon (his maternal great-uncle). Not to mention King Haakon VII who was of age of his grandfather. (there were several younger ones as well)

Andrew only has among his much shorter list of godparents than his brother, his granduncle Duke of Gloucester (so brother to a grandfather).

Anne has her maternal grandmother the queen mum, Princess Andrew of Greece and Denmark (paternal grandmother) Earl mountbattan of burma (granduncle),

Edward is the only one without older godparents from Elizabeth's kids

So while I doubt they will, I stated in another post my thoughts on possible godparents, there is plenty of precedence for a grandparent, or a great/grand aunt or uncle (sibling of a grandparent), to be godparent.

Hey not just royal, my godmothers (for some reason 2, not a godfather) are my grandmother's two eldest sisters. They are both alive today, and I'm 30.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:49 AM
Courtier

Thanks for the info, Melissa...so it still might happen but it doesn't mean I won't think it is weird
Old 02-13-2011, 07:42 AM
Commoner

I dont like the 14th of april because maxima and wa cant be there... Although I hope that one of them can come over from germany to be one of the godparents!

I like the name Mads Arthur Nikolai Frederik for the boy with grandparents Prince Daniel, Prince Nikolai and some family and friends
And the names for the girl, Hege Dagmar Mary Amber, with grandparents Princess Máxima, Alexandra (joachims ex wife), Amber petty and Marys sister
Old 02-13-2011, 08:06 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat lover View Post
lumutqueen,didn't realise you were so knowledgeable about the various Royals comings and goings,unofficial visits,unofficial phone calls etc. Obviously they must let you know everything they do and don't do.
It was afterall only a suggestion,good grief!
These are royals, they don't go anywhere without being seen. Also considering Catherine isn't going to be a fully fledged royal until after the christening, hardly fair.
Thank you for the compliment about my knowledge though.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:43 AM
Serene Highness

I might be wrong but I think British Royals are rarely asked to be godparents to European Royals, at least in the current generation of Royal babies. I think the Countess of Wessex is a godmother but I can't remember who to.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Commoner

godparents

lumutqueen,you started this tiff with your smug comments and you don't know when is enough is enough. I am not going to roll over and play dead though even if it gets me banned from the forum.
I do hope that we have some guests who have been following our "banter" and seeing that an innocent post like my first can erupt into something so nasty will make them think twice about joining. A mere suggestion about what would be a nice gesture has turned into a huge quarrel thanks to the likes of you!
Glad you think I was complimenting your "knowledge" (you're not the only one who can be sarcastic)
Old 02-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
I might be wrong but I think British Royals are rarely asked to be godparents to European Royals, at least in the current generation of Royal babies. I think the Countess of Wessex is a godmother but I can't remember who to.
That's my impression too.

Is there a reason for that? I mean, the BRF are not completely isolated from the continental royals, I trust.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Welll Edward (Earl of Wessex) is the godfather of Nikolai, and Anne is the godmother of Haakon of Norway.

So anything is really possible, although I doubt this will be the case for the twins.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler

That's my impression too.

Is there a reason for that? I mean, the BRF are not completely isolated from the continental royals, I trust.
I guess it's the age gap? Edward, the youngest of the Queen's children, is a good deal older than most of the European heirs. And the rest of the children are old old enough to be godparents to the heirs themselves.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Edward is a godfather to Nikolai of Denmark. Currently I don't find any informations on Sophie
Old 02-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen

Edward is a godfather to Nikolai of Denmark. Currently I don't find any informations on Sophie
That must be it then. I vaguely remember Wessex coming up somewhere in a wikipedia article.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I guess it's the age gap? Edward, the youngest of the Queen's children, is a good deal older than most of the European heirs. And the rest of the children are old old enough to be godparents to the heirs themselves.
That makes sense.

But how about Charles and Andrew's children? They are if I remember correctly in their 20's or around 20. I.e. old enough to be considered godparents.
Have any of them developed a relationship to the younger continental royals, who are having children? A relationship serious enough for them to be considered potential godparents?

I know this is perhaps slightly off topic, but I ask because William and Catherine have several times been suggested as godparents. - So by which royals would it be more obvious they were chosen as godparents, if not by the Danish royals? - Which I personally doubt very much.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Serene Highness

My guess is, that neither William nor Harry have a close relationship to the other European Royal Families. You never see them at any events, be it birthdays, weddings, christenings, you name it. IIRC the Wessexes are friends with Dutch Royals, isn't Laurentien a good friend? And Joachim is good friend with the Wessexes, too. The WEssexes were at the wedding of Victoria and Daniel, and also at the Wedding of Fred and Mary.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Edward seems to be the closest of the BRF to the European royal houses. It would be nice for either him or Sophie to be named godparents.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Serene Highness

And Edward was at the wedding of Joachim and Alexandra
Old 02-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
But how about Charles and Andrew's children? They are if I remember correctly in their 20's or around 20. I.e. old enough to be considered godparents.
Have any of them developed a relationship to the younger continental royals, who are having children? A relationship serious enough for them to be considered potential godparents?
It's hard to know what goes on behind closed doors, but in terms of information that's public and verifiable, I haven't seen anything that would indicate a close relationship between Charles' sons and continental royals. Given how high profile William and Harry are I think someone in the British press would have picked up on a close friendship. I imagine they'll develop stronger links with continental royals with time, as they begin to take part in state and official visits, etc, but for now their official duties seem to revolve more around Britain and The Commonwealth.

It wouldn't surprise me if the twins' godparents were mostly not royal.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Serene Highness

Isabella has 2 Royal godparents (Mathilde of Belgium and Alexia of Greece). Christian has 5 but then he's the heir. Maybe a Greek and Berleberg cousin for each twin, two of Mary's siblings and a few friends?
Old 02-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Maybe a Greek and Berleberg cousin for each twin
I think almost certainly one of the Berleburg cousins and his/her partner... the Crown Princely couple seems to have a very nice relationship with all three of the siblings. Maybe Princess Nathalie and her husband, since CP Mary is godmother to their baby who's so close in age to the twins. Princess Marie is also close to a sure thing, IMO. I could see the rest of the godparents coming from the couple's Danish and Australian friends and from the Donaldson family.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Serene Highness

Off topic but isn't Prince William Godparent to one of the Greek grandchildren. I remember cause he had surgery and was holding the baby with one arm. I think Prince William or Harry would be great but I doubt it, I think it will be only one royal per each child& the rest family&friends.

Closed Thread