Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would the Danish crown prince couple name their child after Cleopatra's daughter? She was an Egyptian queen of Greek descent...no Danish ties there.

for den lillepig:
Anna Catharina Helene Mary
Charlotte Johanne Lovisa Mary

for den lilledreng:
Christoffer William Andre Alexander
Johan Alexander Frederik René

Allow me a minor correction:

There is no equivalent to "the" in Danish, except in some dialects.
Boy = dreng.
Girl = pige.
A boy = en dreng.
A girl = en pige.
The boy = drengen.
The girl = pigen.
That boy = den dreng.
That girl = den pige.

So if we are to be pedantic it's really: Lillepigen & lilledrengen.
Lillepig incidentally means: little spike. ;)

Oscar is IMO a perfect name for the little Prince. It's pronounceable in both Danish & English, as far as I know, it was Queen Ingrid's great-grandfather's name & it's popular - like Isabella's name is.

I hope they don't use Alice...I have this name saved for Prince William and the future Princess Catherine's first child ;) I would love to see a little Princess Alice of Wales (or whatever)...So please Mary and Frederik, if you are reading this, DO NOT USE Alice...

I totally agree! I would love to see a little Princess Alice in Britain! :flowers:

Oscar and Matilda (Mathilde) are in the top 15, still hoping for these two...and since Oliver is also in the top 15, would love to see them using the similar sounding name of Olafur...

eta: Just checked out the popular Danish name link, Kathleen...love those names...these are the ones they can/will possibly use:

Girls: Anna, Mathilde, Frida, Amalie, Olivia, Frederikke, Astrid, Johanne, Filippa
Boys: William, Oscar, Gustav, Sebastian, Oliver, Andreas, Marius, Alfred, Johan

I know a lot of people don't like Oscar, but it's my first choice for the little prince. I don't think they will use Amalie because it is so similar to Amalia (Princess Catharina-Amalia).

Why would the Danish crown prince couple name their child after Cleopatra's daughter? She was an Egyptian queen of Greek descent...no Danish ties there.

for den lillepig:
Anna Catharina Helene Mary
Charlotte Johanne Lovisa Mary

for den lilledreng:
Christoffer William Andre Alexander
Johan Alexander Frederik René

Christoffer is way too close to Christian, I don't see that happening. And even Charlotte may be questionable as the same start as Christian.

Other famous royal twins who may have more of a link to the Danish throne if we want to play on the twins

James II of Scotland and Alexander-There are both in the family tree, I could see either as a middle name, Scottish link to Mary
Louise Elizabeth and Anne Henrietta of France-daughters of Louis XV, Louise his only daughter to marry, again names found in Danish tree
Philip Landgrave of Hesse and Wolfgang of Hess- Philip is in the tree
Prince Christoffe and Prince Richard of Hesse- christoffe too close to christian, but richard is a possibility

There are 13 pairs of royal twins listed, many of them alive today. Including three pairs in the royal house of Yugoslavia.

So if we want to go with a link to twins how about

Princess Johanne Lovisa Mary Renee
Princess Lovisa Anne Mary Adelaide

and for the little prince

Prince Karl James Friedrick Joachim
Prince Eric Friedrick Alexander Joachim

I really would like to see Joachim used for the baby's Uncle. It is also reflective of Mary, as the father of the Virgin Mary.

You would rule out Charlotte because it begins with the same letters as Christian?

You would rule out Charlotte because it begins with the same letters as Christian?

I didn't say I ruled it out, I said I had my questions about it. It is a pretty name, is in the Danish family tree, and I'd like it. I am not the first or only person to voice it being close to Christian. I think we can rule out Christoffer or Christina. Charlotte though has also been used in recent royals, in Monaco, though not the same age group so it would be more likely than something like Amalia.

It might not be ruled out in terms of how it sounds - Christian starts with a K-sound and Charlotte starts with a Sh-sound...but Charlotte COULD be ruled out because of a doubling up of initials, and possibly 2 'C' monograms/initials might cause them to rethink it...and in the royal's case, sometimes the first initial is all you have...for example we always refer to the couples as M&F, M&H, J&M, C&I, A&M, N&F, etc...so adding another C child to M&F's brood might cause confusion...maybe not for them but for us ;)

Charlotte is a popular name, it's pretty and has a Danish royal connection.
I don't think it needs to be ruled out on the basis of it's first initial.

The letters are the same as Christian but the sound is quite different -
K and Sh. The ending sounds are also very different.
In spoken language, in the household, Christian and Charlotte would not be too similar.
Even so, some families do like each child to have their own first initial.
This might rule out Cleo or Clara.

I do see a problem with Christoffer and Christina sounding alike.
And their nick names could be exactly the same.

For the names of these twins I see no reason why their first listed name needs to be restricted to only Danish royal names.
I won't be surprised to see gorgeous, maybe more modern or slightly unexpected names....all the while being appropriate for royalty.

Last edited:
Charlotte is a popular name, it's pretty and has a Danish royal connection.
I don't think it needs to be ruled out on the basis of it's first initial.

The letters are the same as Christian but the sound is quite different -
K and Sh. The ending sounds are also very different.
In spoken language, in the household, Christian and Charlotte would not be too similar.
Even so, some families do like each child to have their own first initial.
This might rule out Cleo or Clara.

I do see a problem with Christoffer and Christina sounding alike.
And their nick names could be exactly the same.

For the names of these twins I see no reason why their first listed name needs to be restricted to only Danish royal names.
I won't be surprised to see gorgeous, maybe more modern or slightly unexpected names....all the while being appropriate for royalty.

Maybe not a Danish royal name, but pretty high chance it will at least be Danish. Either it will be a royal name in another tongue but found in the royal tree like James or Albert, or a Danish name. These are a prince and princess of Denmark after all. Is anyone expecting to see a Princess Dagmar of Wales, unless Prince Harry finds a Dagmar to marry? I guess anything could happen, but the chances are slim.

A name like Cleo? Honestly why? Because Cleopatra had twins? The name has no links to Denmark, Scotland or Australia, to any member of the couple's family or anything else.

Yes they could and I hope they do surprise us, but I think it will be
1. a name from the Danish royal family
2. a Danish twist on a family name ie. Johanne for John

There are so many names which could be used to bring in her Oz roots (Adelaide, Abel, Mathilde,Philip), their families (Johanne, Karl, Elizabeth, Henry) and so on, without going off the map for Prince Rodger and Princess Daisy or something such.

melissaadrian said:
Christoffer is way too close to Christian, I don't see that happening. And even Charlotte may be questionable as the same start as Christian.

(...)

I don't think Erik Frederik really flows.

Last edited by a moderator:
i now we will know the names of the babies at christening, but about the godparents, they will announce before the date or it will be a surprise at that day as well?

i now we will know the names of the babies at christening, but about the godparents, they will announce before the date or it will be a surprise at that day as well?

I couldbe wrong, but I believe those remain private as well other than to those obviously chosen, until the day.

Would not Alison and Adrian be nice names?

Karl Frederik Georg Albert Bernard
Victoria Igrid Olga Francesca Desiree

AnnaNotherThing said:
It might not be ruled out in terms of how it sounds - Christian starts with a K-sound and Charlotte starts with a Sh-sound...but Charlotte COULD be ruled out because of a doubling up of initials, and possibly 2 'C' monograms/initials might cause them to rethink it...and in the royal's case, sometimes the first initial is all you have...for example we always refer to the couples as M&F, M&H, J&M, C&I, A&M, N&F, etc...so adding another C child to M&F's brood might cause confusion...maybe not for them but for us ;)

How would it confuse us? I'm sure we could tell the difference between C&I and C& whatever they pick for the boys name. We do have two Henriks in the family which is difficult. Charlotte shouldn't be questioned IMO because it starting with the same letter.

Tilla said:
Would not Alison and Adrian be nice names?

Princess Alison? Interesting.

I really like this Combo:
Mathilde/a Thyra Mary Renee
or
Mathilda Amalie Mary Renee

Oscar, Oliver and William, maybe Jacob, Marius, Noah and Magnus all seem like possible, imo nice names for the prince. Maybe in a combo like this:
William Oliver/Olafur Archibald Frederik
or
Oliver Christoffer Frederik Johan

Allow me a minor correction:

There is no equivalent to "the" in Danish, except in some dialects.
Boy = dreng.
Girl = pige.
A boy = en dreng.
A girl = en pige.
The boy = drengen.
The girl = pigen.
That boy = den dreng.
That girl = den pige.

So if we are to be pedantic it's really: Lillepigen & lilledrengen.
Lillepig incidentally means: little spike. ;)

wow. I didn't know that. I just looked it up on google translate. Thanks Muhler. That, and when Isabella was born they called her 'lillepig' - I thought that meant 'little girl'.

wow. I didn't know that. I just looked it up on google translate. Thanks Muhler. That, and when Isabella was born they called her 'lillepig' - I thought that meant 'little girl'.

Eeh, they did call Isabella lillepige = little girl. It's just that somehow the e in lillepige must have become lost. :)

Caroline is a good name. It can be used in Danish and English. Though the pronounciation is different. It's also a royal name.
Are there anyone among Mary's friends and and family called Caroline?

Oskar/Oscar is also a good name. Fitting for a healthy young boy. It's pronounced the same way in Danish and English, so the poor boy won't get confused. :p It's also a quite popular right now in DK, I understand.

Karl Frederik Georg Albert Bernard
Victoria Igrid Olga Francesca Desiree

Victoria Ingrid Desiree- you do realize dropping the Francesca and changing Olga to Alice, you have the crown princess of Sweden.
Victoria Ingrid Alice Desiree (Desireee being a very Sweedish royal name)

And they tend to use 4 not five names.

I think Allison is likely suggested as it is a middle name of one of Mary's sisters but wouldn't they be more likely to use a sister's name and not a middle name? Only real fans would catch the connection.

I hope if John is used again, it is used for the little princess, as Christian already has John as a name.

Prince Karl Friedrick Peter Joachim

Princess Johanne/Mathilde Thyra Patricia Mary

I like the name Thyra, I really do, but I doubt they'll use it as the last Princess Thyra didn't have the greatest life.

I like the name Thyra, I really do, but I doubt they'll use it as the last Princess Thyra didn't have the greatest life.

If we go by the history of the previous holders, almost any name will be thrown out before used. I can't find anything on the last Princess Thyra other than she never married. What made her life so miserable?

Dagmar: Maria Federovna's original name, watched most of her family including son Nicholas II be executed, died in exile, yet the name has been used numerous times since.
Olaf: the first of his name either commited suicide or was sacrificed by his people due to hunger in the country
Eric: Eric II was much hated by the people, killed by his own noble, said his killer walked away with his life though he murdered him in public
Abel: believed to have killed brother, but was cleared of it officially
Christopher: Christopher I came to throne after Abel, was excommunicated from the church, and was poisoned during communion as revenge of his treatment of powerful bishops. Abel's son rebelled against him, with the help of his sister in law and german princes, driving him south.
Valdemar: Valdemar III was widely opposed by his subjects, and forced to abdicate the throne.
Christian: Christian II was known for executing a man accused of killing his mistreess, after the man was cleared of all charges. He lead the bloodbath of stockholm, which saw the murder of 82 people from decapitation or drowning. His already dead enemy Sten Sture's body and that of his small son were exumed, tied to a stake and burned for heresy. His widow was to have been executed, she was given the choice of buried alive or burned, but saved by the nobles. He was later diposed in favor of his Uncle, and spent the rest of his life a prisoner of his Uncle.

Those are just to name a few. I think any name chosen will come with bad and good connotations if you look into the history of the family. It is what the new baby does with the name that matters.

Princess Ursula?
Isn't Ursula the witch in the Little Mermaid? :whistling:

@melissaadrian: As a matter of fact she did get married, but she fell inlove with a lieutenant and got pregnant. Her lover committed suicide after a confrontation with Thyra's father, the King. Now I really don't have any problem with having out of wedlock children, but Thyra's life wasn't a picnic either.:ermm:

Isn't Ursula the witch in the Little Mermaid? :whistling:

@melissaadrian: As a matter of fact she did get married, but she fell inlove with a lieutenant and got pregnant. Her lover committed suicide after a confrontation with Thyra's father, the King. Now I really don't have any problem with having out of wedlock children, but Thyra's life wasn't a picnic either.:ermm:

Sorry to disappoint you but you said the last one named Thyra. The last was Princess Thyra Louise Carolina Amalia Augusta Elizabeth, daughter of Frederick VIII of Denmark and his wife Princess Louise of Sweden. She was born in 1880 and died in 1945, the only thing I can find on her is this and that she died unmarried.

Frederick VIII named his daughter in honor of his sister, the Princess Thyra of who you spoke. She was born in 1853, 27 years before the birth of her namesake niece, so obviously her sad life was not a hinderance for the name to be used later. Her daughter Maria with her lover was born in 1871 and her lover commited suicide in 1872, eight years before her niece was born. So Frederick already knew his sister had an unhappy teenage life, when he named Thyra after her. His sister did go on to be happily married and have children with Ernst.

And yes Ursula would be to most the octopus witch in Little Mermaid.

Well, I don't think there would be any problem if this little Princess fell in love with a lieutenant later in life.

Sorry to disappoint you but you said the last one named Thyra. The last was Princess Thyra Louise Carolina Amalia Augusta Elizabeth, daughter of Frederick VIII of Denmark and his wife Princess Louise of Sweden. She was born in 1880 and died in 1945, the only thing I can find on her is this and that she died unmarried.

Frederick VIII named his daughter in honor of his sister, the Princess Thyra of who you spoke. She was born in 1853, 27 years before the birth of her namesake niece, so obviously her sad life was not a hinderance for the name to be used later. Her daughter Maria with her lover was born in 1871 and her lover commited suicide in 1872, eight years before her niece was born. So Frederick already knew his sister had an unhappy teenage life, when he named Thyra after her. His sister did go on to be happily married and have children with Ernst.

Princess Thyra became pregnant in 1871. She gave birth to a daughter in Greece and the child was adopted by a Danish couple.
It's interestingly that you say the daughter was named Marie and given the title of princess. The source I have my info from states that all traces of the child was covered up.
Thyra later on gave birth to six children, are you sure Marie wasn't among those?
May I know what source you got your info from, Melissaadrian, I should very much like to know more. :)

I have that story in my archive somewhere. (Found it).
It's interesting in the sense that it provides a picture of how royals back then dealt with such a situation.
Her lover was an adjutant, a dashing looking hussar, and he did indeed commit suicide out of shame.

Last edited:
Princess Thyra became pregnant in 1871. She gave birth to a daughter in Greece and the child was adopted by a Danish couple.
It's interestingly that you say the daughter was named Marie and given the title of princess. The source I have my info from states that all traces of the child was covered up.
Thyra later on gave birth to six children, are you sure Marie wasn't among those?
May I know what source you got your info from, Melissaadrian, I should very much like to know more. :)

I have that story in my archive somewhere. (Found it).
It's interesting in the sense that it provides a picture of how royals back then dealt with such a situation.
Her lover was an adjutant, a dashing looking hussar, and he did indeed commit suicide out of shame.

Where did I say she was named a princess? No where. I said she was named Marie, the source of which is several websites including Princess Thyra of Denmark - Biography - The Biographicon. She was adopted and renamed, but the name was reported as being Marie. Thyra did have six children with Ernst, eldest of whom was also named Maria. But I never mentioned at all that Marie was given the title princess.

Thyra had with Ernst

Princess Maria Louise (not the Marie above) who married Prince Maximillian of Baden and had two children
Prince George William- died in a car accident sadly on the way to the funeral of Frederick VIII of Denmark's funeral, his Uncle, not married.
Princess Alexandra: married the Duke of Mecklenberg-Schwerin and had five children, including a Princess Thyra who died in 1981
Princess Olga- died unmarried
Prince Christian- died of appendicitas and perionitas at age 16
Prince Ernst Augustus-succeeded his father as Duke, married and had five children

But my point had nothing to do with the illegitamite daughter, who I never said was called a princess. My point was you were wrong, that Princess Thyra, daughter of Christian IX was the last holder of the name. Yes, the suicide of her lover is sad. But her niece and namesake Princess Thyra, daughter of Friedrick VIII, born 27 years after her, is the last person in the direct Danish royal family with the name. And more indirect, her grandaughter from her daughter Alexandra, also holds the name (though this is a German princess and not a Danish). So if Friedrick would name his daughter Thyra even knowing the history of his sister, it is not unlikely that the name would pop up once again.

Cool it now, Melissaadrian.
You didn't state Marie was given the title of princess. I just got that into my head. That happens, you know. Human mistakes and all that. - Not least when watching the news at same time...

Anyway, thanks for the link. :flowers:

That the daughter was named Marie and who she was adopted by is new to me. And pretty interesting.
- And no, I'm not questioning your source, I really, honestly find it interesting.

Where did I say she was named a princess? No where. I said she was named Marie, the source of which is several websites including Princess Thyra of Denmark - Biography - The Biographicon. She was adopted and renamed, but the name was reported as being Marie. Thyra did have six children with Ernst, eldest of whom was also named Maria. But I never mentioned at all that Marie was given the title princess.

Thyra had with Ernst

Princess Maria Louise (not the Marie above) who married Prince Maximillian of Baden and had two children
Prince George William- died in a car accident sadly on the way to the funeral of Frederick VIII of Denmark's funeral, his Uncle, not married.
Princess Alexandra: married the Duke of Mecklenberg-Schwerin and had five children, including a Princess Thyra who died in 1981
Princess Olga- died unmarried
Prince Christian- died of appendicitas and perionitas at age 16
Prince Ernst Augustus-succeeded his father as Duke, married and had five children

But my point had nothing to do with the illegitamite daughter, who I never said was called a princess. My point was you were wrong, that Princess Thyra, daughter of Christian IX was the last holder of the name. Yes, the suicide of her lover is sad. But her niece and namesake Princess Thyra, daughter of Friedrick VIII, born 27 years after her, is the last person in the direct Danish royal family with the name. And more indirect, her grandaughter from her daughter Alexandra, also holds the name (though this is a German princess and not a Danish). So if Friedrick would name his daughter Thyra even knowing the history of his sister, it is not unlikely that the name would pop up once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom