The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #761  
Old 01-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Tilia C.'s Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: O, Germany
Posts: 4,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfdane View Post
I was joking about the fairytale. Yes it is written by German authors, however, Hans was a King of Denmark and Hans is a Danish name. Grethe is the short form of Margrethe. Hans is also the short form of John. So I don't think those two names are out of the running, imo. Also, Hans as in Hans Chr. Andersen...lol...ok, I am done defending now!

Whatever names, the CPC chooses, I am sure they will be appropriate for them.

Hans Christian Valdemar Joachim
Margrethe (Grethe) Isabella Ingrid Henrietta
I understood your joke and thought it funny. I meant my suggestion of the little Mermaid as a joke as well.
__________________

  #762  
Old 01-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan

It's simple a tradition of the Family that sons have either Frederik or Christian under their names. So if one of them should became King the could either Frederik or Christan as their regnal Name.
They only of Queen margrethe's grandson who has neither Christian orFrederik under his names is Prince Henrik jr. probably he is not high in the line of succession. And Konstantin has no succession rights neither are the greek Princes.
If it comes down to regal names then a middle name isn't going to mean a lot. This new Prince could call himself Frederik or Christian if he becomes King without using the middle name excuse.
Names get boring, even if it's for traditional reasons.
__________________

__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #763  
Old 01-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Viv's Avatar
Viv Viv is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Funen, Denmark
Posts: 756
Maybe we should define the various name classes in order to avoid misunderstandings??
According to the Danish name act of 2005, we are talking about (supposedly) four first (or Christian) names! This is what the twins are going to get!

A 'middle name' is defined as a name which has the characteristics of a surname. Thus the twins are not going to get any middle names!

A surname is a surname! Not applicable in this case!

I'm not really into the name guessing thing and yet, the other day Patricia popped up ! One of CP Mary's sisters is named Patricia and there's also HM's 'aunt Patricia' (The Lady Patricia Ramsay, formerly Princess Patricia of Connaught) who used to be close to the Danish RF because of her niece Queen Ingrid. In short, Patricia is an Anglosaxon name which runs in both families.

Other 'firsts' of the four Christian names IMO could be Louise or Elizabeth.

I have no suggestions for the entire name chain; it could be anything except that Margrethe is likely to be included!

As for the boy:
I'm clueless! Alexander ? We had a Prince Alexander of Denmark for a couple of years, before his parents were shipped off off to Norway in 1905 and his name was changed to Olav.

William or perhaps Georg(e) are other other, albeit faint possibilities IMO.

Because of the their place in the line of succession, the names need not adhere strictly to royal tradition, but I'm almost certain that some of them will! I'm also 99 percent convinced that they will be Anglosaxon per se or easily translated into an Anglosaxon equivalent!

Viv
  #764  
Old 01-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: snowsville, Canada
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfdane View Post
I was joking about the fairytale. Yes it is written by German authors, however, Hans was a King of Denmark and Hans is a Danish name. Grethe is the short form of Margrethe. Hans is also the short form of John. So I don't think those two names are out of the running, imo. Also, Hans as in Hans Chr. Andersen...lol...ok, I am done defending now!

Whatever names, the CPC chooses, I am sure they will be appropriate for them.

Hans Christian Valdemar Joachim
Margrethe (Grethe) Isabella Ingrid Henrietta
I'm sorry but seriously? their first son is Christian Valdemar, so lets reuse both those names for their second son? and their first daughter is Isabella Ingrid Henrietta Margarethe, so lets not give the new princess her own identity at all, just rearrange her sister's name? I am sorry but that is a bit ridiculous. Hans is cute, I think as a middle name, and I like Joachim for his Uncle, but there are hundreds of names, why reuse the names used by their siblings.

since they changed succession, so a daughter can reign, I kind of like the idea of the feminine version of Fridrick, for a girl.

I still see using as middle names, great grandparents, as the grandparents were honored in the older two.
  #765  
Old 01-19-2011, 07:20 PM
CharlotteAmalia's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: in the south of Germany, Germany
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If it comes down to regal names then a middle name isn't going to mean a lot. This new Prince could call himself Frederik or Christian if he becomes King without using the middle name excuse.
Names get boring, even if it's for traditional reasons.
Well, even if a name is quite boring, there is a tradition to call every Danish prince born to the Crown Prince or King/Queen is called either Christian or Frederik. That is why i think Mary and Frederik will call their new son Frederik with 2.,3. or 4. name. They used already Christian, so i think it will be Frederik.

just to show the tradition a list of the kings and the sons of the last kings and queens or crown princes :
Frederik André Henrik Christian (CP)
Joachim Holger Waldemar Christian (sons: Nikolai William Alexander Frederik and Felix Henrik Valdemar Christian )
Knud Christian Frederik Michael (Knud) (sons: Ingolf Christian Frederik Knud Harald Gorm Gustav Viggo Valdemar Aage (Ingolf) and Christian Frederik Franz Knud Harald Carl Oluf Gustav Georg Erik (Christian af Rosenborg))
Christian Frederik Franz Michael Carl Valdemar Georg (Frederik 9.)
Christian Carl Frederik Albert Alexander Vilhelm (Christian 10.)
Christian Frederik Vilhelm Carl (Frederik 8.)
Christian Frederik Carl Georg Valdemar Axel (Haakon VII)
Harald Christian Frederik (Harald)
Christian Frederik Vilhelm Valdemar Gustav (Gustav)
Christian Wilhelm Ferdinand Adolf Georg (Vilhelm, later Georg of Greece)
Frederik Carl Christian (Frederik 7.)

I didn't count the Greece princes.

Bette Henrik is not called Christian or Frederik, but he was 7. in the line of sucession at the time of his birth.
  #766  
Old 01-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
I'm sorry but seriously? their first son is Christian Valdemar, so lets reuse both those names for their second son? and their first daughter is Isabella Ingrid Henrietta Margarethe, so lets not give the new princess her own identity at all, just rearrange her sister's name? I am sorry but that is a bit ridiculous. Hans is cute, I think as a middle name, and I like Joachim for his Uncle, but there are hundreds of names, why reuse the names used by their siblings.
Don't forget that Queen Margrethe has two sisters, and all three of the girls were given Ingrid as one of their names!

That's why I'd be willing to bet money that the new little princess will also get Margrethe as one of her names, probably not the first name but one of the four.

It wouldn't surprise me that, should Joachim ever have a daughter, one of her names would also be Margrethe.
  #767  
Old 01-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 49
this is not a gues, but if I was M&F I Would name my twins:

Prince Victor Hugo Frederik Andrè (godparents : Prince daniel, Countess Josephine of Rosenborg John Donaldson (Mary's brother) and a friend of M&F)

Princess Juliane Alexandrine Mary mathilde (godparents: Princess Maxima, CountessCamilla of rosenborg Jane Stephens (mary's sister) and a friend of M&F
  #768  
Old 01-20-2011, 12:50 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Monterey, United States
Posts: 2,323
Albert Carl Frederik Ulrich
Victoria Ingrid Desiree Mary
  #769  
Old 01-20-2011, 01:40 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: snowsville, Canada
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Don't forget that Queen Margrethe has two sisters, and all three of the girls were given Ingrid as one of their names!

That's why I'd be willing to bet money that the new little princess will also get Margrethe as one of her names, probably not the first name but one of the four.

It wouldn't surprise me that, should Joachim ever have a daughter, one of her names would also be Margrethe.
It is one thing to reuse 1, which even I don't understand as there are so many other names, but to reuse all four of Isabella's names which is what the post I was commenting on suggested? It would like naming me and my sister Melissa Leigh Jayne and Jayne Leigh Melissa

As for Joachim he has no daughter yet, so if he used Margrethe as a first or middle name for a future daughter that would not be odd. He would not be reusing the name, he has no daughters with it.
  #770  
Old 01-20-2011, 01:55 AM
JessRulz's Avatar
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Don't forget that Queen Margrethe has two sisters, and all three of the girls were given Ingrid as one of their names!

That's why I'd be willing to bet money that the new little princess will also get Margrethe as one of her names, probably not the first name but one of the four.
IIRC, Ingrid was given to the three daughters of Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid to signify who they descended from - as Ingrid was a Swedish Princess.
__________________
**TRF Rules and FAQ**
  #771  
Old 01-20-2011, 05:13 AM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
IIRC, Ingrid was given to the three daughters of Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid to signify who they descended from - as Ingrid was a Swedish Princess.
That´s correct
__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.
  #772  
Old 01-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAmalia View Post
Well, even if a name is quite boring, there is a tradition to call every Danish prince born to the Crown Prince or King/Queen is called either Christian or Frederik. That is why i think Mary and Frederik will call their new son Frederik with 2.,3. or 4. name. They used already Christian, so i think it will be Frederik.
Except this new Prince is 3rd in line for the throne. So names shouldn't matter.
This new Prince would have to witness the death of his father, eldest brother and sister before becoming King. I can understand the tradition for the first born male, but not for subsequent males.
Joachim isn't a Frederik or a Christian.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #773  
Old 01-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Viv's Avatar
Viv Viv is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Funen, Denmark
Posts: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Except this new Prince is 3rd in line for the throne. So names shouldn't matter.
This new Prince would have to witness the death of his father, eldest brother and sister before becoming King. I can understand the tradition for the first born male, but not for subsequent males.
Joachim isn't a Frederik or a Christian.
Wait a minute, Joachim IS a Christian!: Joachim Valdemar Holger Christian.

I agree that it would take a catastrophe of some proportions before Prince Twin inherits the throne but, there's no way around one of the two regal names. Omitting it would be a breach of tradition! The first first name however, the name he will go by in everyday use need not be a name in the DRF tradition!

Viv
  #774  
Old 01-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
I meant Joachim isn't a Christian by first name.
CharlotteAmalia listed all the previous Kings who have had the name Frederik or Chrisitan.
If the traditional rule for naming your sons "Frederik and Christian" applies to all boys, then Joachim should have been named Christian in case he inherited. Which is the situation CharlotteAmalia suggested as the reason for calling this new Prince, Frederik.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #775  
Old 01-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 2,959
In keeping with Prince Joachim's "Snoopy" comment...I'll offer "Linus and Lucy."
  #776  
Old 01-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 8,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
In keeping with Prince Joachim's "Snoopy" comment...I'll offer "Linus and Lucy."
Why not? Are they Peanuts characters?

A guess: Lucy is the dark haired girl, who always trick a boy into kicking a ball?
And Linus always go: "Good grief"?

How about Woodstock as a middle name?
  #777  
Old 01-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Sternchen's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: xxx, Germany
Posts: 1,282
List of Peanuts characters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Linus is the boy with the blanket
__________________
Soccer is a game for 22 people that run around, play the ball, and one referee who makes a slew of mistakes, and in the end Germany always wins.
Gary Lineker
  #778  
Old 01-20-2011, 07:48 PM
JessRulz's Avatar
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I meant Joachim isn't a Christian by first name.
CharlotteAmalia listed all the previous Kings who have had the name Frederik or Chrisitan.
If the traditional rule for naming your sons "Frederik and Christian" applies to all boys, then Joachim should have been named Christian in case he inherited. Which is the situation CharlotteAmalia suggested as the reason for calling this new Prince, Frederik.
The tradition is having all sons, besides the first-born who will be King, have 'Frederik or 'Christian' as one of their middle names. Which is what I gathered that CharlotteAmalia meant in this phrase, "will call their new son Frederik with 2.,3. or 4. name". As has been said before, the only Danish prince in quite a long while who has not had 'Frederik' or 'Christian' as one of his names is Henrik Jr - which might be explained by his low place in the line of succession. The newborn prince is currently 4th in line, he will be 3rd in line when his father succeeds the throne. There is a chance, however small/catastrophic it might be, that he could one day sit on the throne himself.

If Frederik and Mary do not use 'Frederik' or 'Christian' (the former being the most likely of the two) as one of Lille Dreng's middle names, it will be very very very surprising to a lot of people.
__________________
**TRF Rules and FAQ**
  #779  
Old 01-21-2011, 04:19 AM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I meant Joachim isn't a Christian by first name.
CharlotteAmalia listed all the previous Kings who have had the name Frederik or Chrisitan.
If the traditional rule for naming your sons "Frederik and Christian" applies to all boys, then Joachim should have been named Christian in case he inherited. Which is the situation CharlotteAmalia suggested as the reason for calling this new Prince, Frederik.
Prince Joachim IS a Christian. If he should inherit the throne, then IMHO he would choose to use Christian as king-name, in order to keep the tradition of a Frederik/Christian on the danish throne
__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.
  #780  
Old 01-21-2011, 05:35 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,121
I know Joachim is a Chrisitan, someone pointed that out to be earlier. But like I said Joachims first name isn't Christian, which is what I believed CharlotteAmalia was suggesting.
If they do give him a middle name as Frederik, i'll be very dissappointed, I don't see why the name has to be used over and over again. It's boring.
__________________

__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince Albert & Charlene Wittstock Wedding Suggestions & Musings Zonk Prince Albert, Princess Charlene and Family 2467 07-03-2011 09:21 AM
Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's Second Pregnancy Zonk Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family 1185 07-01-2007 07:00 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll fox news grahamm grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdulah ii king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles prince constantijn princess eugenie eveningwear princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania revolution royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:15 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises