Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right in saying John has never been short for anything in English. John and Johannes both come from the Latin Ioannes. See here: Behind the Name: Meaning, Origin and History of the Name John (that website is probably the most reliable name etymology website on the internet).

Jack is an English diminutive form, Ian is the Scottish form, and Seán is the Irish form of John (Shawn is the Anglicized form of Seán). Ewan is actually not related to John, although it sounds like Ioan, the Welsh form of John.

If you couldn't tell, name etymology and usage is my pet hobby. :flowers:

I write fanfic, and I always give my characters who have a baby, a baby name with meaning. My reviewers always like the little explanation of what the name means and why I chose it. Behind the names is actually bookmarked on my computer, I use it all the time, that and baby names.com. And you're right, Jack is a diminutive not a variation.

I agree with Anna, I love the idea of switching female/male. I have a feeling though the little boy will be Friedrick and little girl Mary for middle names but can hope.

But I think Bendt is the Danish masculine form of Benedikte though.

Last edited:
I know no matter what I select or guess, it will be wrong, the only thing I am certain of is I am glad this is the only royal family that makes us wait for 3 months, I can't wait til we see those beautiful little children and finally find out their names.
Does anyone know, and I hope I am not being redundant, but why do they wait so long? Was it because there was such a high moralitry rate for infants? Not trying to be morbid, just interested. Thanks

I know no matter what I select or guess, it will be wrong, the only thing I am certain of is I am glad this is the only royal family that makes us wait for 3 months, I can't wait til we see those beautiful little children and finally find out their names.
Does anyone know, and I hope I am not being redundant, but why do they wait so long? Was it because there was such a high moralitry rate for infants? Not trying to be morbid, just interested. Thanks

It has nothing to do with three months but the Christening. Some other royal children we've had to wait on. Louise Wessex was quite a wait, not this long but still.

It simply old tradition. The priest or in this case bishop asks the parents when they bring their child for baptism, what name they are to be called. The Danes just wait until this question to reveal it.

It has nothing to do with three months but the Christening. Some other royal children we've had to wait on. Louise Wessex was quite a wait, not this long but still.

It simply old tradition. The priest or in this case bishop asks the parents when they bring their child for baptism, what name they are to be called. The Danes just wait until this question to reveal it.
Thanks for your answer!

I would love them to use the masculine/feminine versions of name already in the family...for example:

Marius - male form of Mary
Benedict - male form of Benedikte, would love a Prince Ben ;)
Frederikke - female version of Frederik
Johanna - female version of John

36 days to go!

i know how to say Ben in english, but in danish ben means leg. poor boy ;-)

No, children were baptized very shortly after the birth in the old days, because of the high infant mortality rate.
It was actually the christening that was considered the most important thing, not the birth. The child's salvation or affilliation with the Christian faith had top priority. - Should the child die anyway later on, it least its soul would be safe.

The tradition about not mentioning the name of a child before the christening is also very old. That was to avoid the Devil luring the child to him by calling out the name of the child, before the child had been baptized.

No, children were baptized very shortly after the birth in the old days, because of the high infant mortality rate.
It was actually the christening that was considered the most important thing, not the birth. The child's salvation or affilliation with the Christian faith had top priority. - Should the child die anyway later on, it least its soul would be safe.

The tradition about not mentioning the name of a child before the christening is also very old. That was to avoid the Devil luring the child to him by calling out the name of the child, before the child had been baptized.

Back in the days of Shakespeare and such there were often not birth records, just baptism. Shakespeare's birthday is a guess, because they have record of his baptism, and it was usually about three days after the birth. It is one thing back then to wait three days to announce the baby's name, but now a days when it is often months for a christening, not so practical. I think I was almost a year, old for a catholic baby. Names would have been registered with baptism, so that would be the official first records centuries ago.

Is it tradition in Denmark or only in the Danish Royal Family not to name the children until the christening?

I'm hoping for Prince Oscar and Princess Charlotte.
Both classic names that are in fashion, both can be found in the DRF history and the Danish and English pronounciation is not too different

Last edited:
Is it tradition in Denmark or only in the Danish Royal Family not to name the children until the christening?

It is not only a tradition in the DRF. My brothers and sisters didn't decide on the names for their children until a few weeks or days before the christenings. My sister once said that she and her husband had to get to know the babys before it was possible to pick the right names. Meanwhile they used cute nicknames. The names they had in mind before the boys were born just didn't fit to their little personalities. All of them ended up with compleatly different names.

If this is the case in all Danish families I don't know but I am sure it is quit common in Denmark.

And thanks Muhler for telling about the history behind the tradition (post 1116).

Last edited:
It isn´t that common in Denmark to keep the name a secret until the christening :)

It isn´t that common in Denmark to keep the name a secret until the christening :)

Perhaps you are right:flowers:. Perhaps I am right:flowers:. Who knows? I wonder if there has ever been made a study on the subject?

I'm hoping for Prince Oscar and Princess Charlotte.
Both classic names that are in fashion, both can be found in the DRF history and the Danish and English pronounciation is not too different

Love these name suggestion BUT I am not sure if Mary and Fred will go for a doubling up of name initials Christian and Charlotte...although they sound different (Kristian and Sharlotte)...the similar future monogram might be an issue for them...although I really do love Charlotte, I am kind of thinking it won't happen...

I like the name Charlotte, but not Oscar.

I've no idea if this a name that is popular or likely in Denmark but I suddenly had the thought of Alice for the girl, and Alexander for the boy. But not as a pair, like don't have Alice & Alexander, just Alice & something else for the boy or Alexander & something else for the girl because personally I kinda dislike when twins have sort of matchy names (same first letters or 2 names that form a famous pairing like Bill & Ben or stuff like that...just my personal thing ;) ).

Still thinking Erik is going to turn up in the boy's name, no idea why, it just keeps popping into my head...not that that means anything at all :lol:

I've no idea if this a name that is popular or likely in Denmark but I suddenly had the thought of Alice for the girl, and Alexander for the boy. But not as a pair, like don't have Alice & Alexander, just Alice & something else for the boy or Alexander & something else for the girl because personally I kinda dislike when twins have sort of matchy names (same first letters or 2 names that form a famous pairing like Bill & Ben or stuff like that...just my personal thing ;) ).
Alice isn't currently in Denmark's top 50 most popular names, although it is very popular in Sweden.

Denmark's top 15 names from the first half of 2010:

Ida, Isabella, Anna, Mathilde, Freja, Maja, Caroline, Sofie, Emma, Sara, Lærke, Laura, Alberte, Josefine, Clara

William, Noah, Lucas, Magnus, Mikkel, Mathias, Victor, Frederik, Oscar, Mads, Emil, Gustav, Sebastian, Oliver, Alexander

See the whole top 50 here: Mest populære navne for danskere født i et bestemt år - Danmarks Statistik

I hope they don't use Alice...I have this name saved for Prince William and the future Princess Catherine's first child ;) I would love to see a little Princess Alice of Wales (or whatever)...So please Mary and Frederik, if you are reading this, DO NOT USE Alice...

Oscar and Matilda (Mathilde) are in the top 15, still hoping for these two...and since Oliver is also in the top 15, would love to see them using the similar sounding name of Olafur...

eta: Just checked out the popular Danish name link, Kathleen...love those names...these are the ones they can/will possibly use:

Girls: Anna, Mathilde, Frida, Amalie, Olivia, Frederikke, Astrid, Johanne, Filippa
Boys: William, Oscar, Gustav, Sebastian, Oliver, Andreas, Marius, Alfred, Johan

Last edited:

Thanks Muhler, after I read your response, it made perfect sense and my question sound really silly, I must of been tired. LOL:lol: Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question, I am jealous that you live in Denmark and get to have a Royal Family:flowers::flowers:

I hope they don't use Alice...I have this name saved for Prince William and the future Princess Catherine's first child ;) I would love to see a little Princess Alice of Wales (or whatever)...So please Mary and Frederik, if you are reading this, DO NOT USE Alice...

After William's Great-grandmother?
(I really thought Prince Andrew would use this for one of his daughters, but he didn't. Too bad).

Look at all the other famous Oscar's out there...surely we don't need to worry about ONE little grouch in a trashcan ;)

Oscar Wilde
Oscar de la Renta
King Oscar (various of Norway or Sweden)
Oscar Hammerstein
Oscar Schindler

Popular both in Denmark and Australia, that should count for something?

Still thinking Erik is going to turn up in the boy's name, no idea why, it just keeps popping into my head...not that that means anything at all :lol:

I think we'd see Alice before Alexander, since Mary has a nephew named Alexander, as well as it has been used recently among the royal babies. I'm not sure about Alice though, doesn't sound too Danish to me. I think it would be more likely for a daugher of Will and Kate if they have one.

Alice comes from the French word Adelais, which comes from the Old German Adelheidis. Though Alice may be used in modern Denmark, the traditional seems to be either Adelaide or Adeli, both in the Danish family tree.

Look at all the other famous Oscar's out there...surely we don't need to worry about ONE little grouch in a trashcan ;)

Oscar Wilde
Oscar de la Renta
King Oscar (various of Norway or Sweden)
Oscar Hammerstein
Oscar Schindler

Popular both in Denmark and Australia, that should count for something?

Aah but Oscar the Grouch is the best, if they name him Prince Oscar I will think of him as the little Mupppet prince.

He could also be nicknamed Sam. Make a good sailor like his dad. There is a cat named Oscar, nicknamed the unsinkable sam, who was on three naval ships in WWII. He survived the sinking of all three, including the Bismark.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I have guessed a range of names.
Upon consideration, these are my final suggestions...

The Little Princess:
Cleo Victoria Rosemary Filippa
Rosa Adelheid Daisy Filippa - Rosie
Sophie Alexandrine Mary Filippa
Filippa Rose Alexandrine Lovisa
Bridget Rosa Alexandrine Mary

The Little Prince:
Thomas Frederik Nicholas Ulrik
Archibald Frederik Nicholas Ulrik - Archie

Inspired by floral representations of grandmothers; names associated with names of twins - Cleo, Philip and Thomas; Mary and Frederik; Christmas names; the first name of Lord Sydney; horse lover name;
some royal names associated with places in Australia; Saint Ulrik is
patron of safe childbirh; Saint Nicholas is patron saint of seafarers.
Royal names in Danish history -Ulrik, Alexandrine, Sophie, Lovisa.
And I chose names with nice meanings that I, personally, see as attractive for a little girl and boy of these times.

Would love Prince Archibald now...I had forgotten about the Sydney references and connections, where Mary and Fred met (in Sydney), the Archibald fountain and the Archibald art prize...and luckily it is also a family name in Mary's family, being the name of her grandfather, her mother Henrietta's father...My suggested combo might be:

Prince Archibald Peter Oscar Frederik (Prince Archie)

Oscar sounds too much like Nascar, and is the name of a film award.

Archibald is much nicer, although I can't imagine actually calling a baby Archibald. Archie. I have pleasant associations to Archie.

And sure - why not name him all of the above? Prince Archie.

Oh, and Astrid for the girl. Astrid and Archie. Adorable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I have guessed a range of names.
Upon consideration, these are my final suggestions...

The Little Princess:
Cleo Victoria Rosemary Filippa
Rosa Adelheid Daisy Filippa - Rosie
Sophie Alexandrine Mary Filippa
Filippa Rose Alexandrine Lovisa
Bridget Rosa Alexandrine Mary

The Little Prince:
Thomas Frederik Nicholas Ulrik
Archibald Frederik Nicholas Ulrik - Archie

Inspired by floral representations of grandmothers; names associated with names of twins - Cleo, Philip and Thomas; Mary and Frederik; Christmas names; the first name of Lord Sydney; horse lover name;
some royal names associated with places in Australia; Saint Ulrik is
patron of safe childbirh; Saint Nicholas is patron saint of seafarers.
Royal names in Danish history -Ulrik, Alexandrine, Sophie, Lovisa.
And I chose names with nice meanings that I, personally, see as attractive for a little girl and boy of these times.

I am not getting the association of Cleo with twins, or Rose with a grandmother, I know Daisy is Margrethe's nickname. Or for that matter the Christmas names.

I can see honoring her family and Oz roots in middle names, but I still think it will be Danish names for the first name, they are members of the Danish royal family after all.

The little prince

Prince Karl Friedrick Archibald Joachim

Karl-Danish for Charles means free man, name found in both families
Friedrick- peaceful ruler
Archibald-bold for Mary's family
Joachim-raised by God,not only Uncle, but Saint Joachim was father to the Virgin Mary

Prince Anders Friedrick Peter Joachim

Anders-Danish name but not from Danish royal tree, variation of Andrea for Henrik's father and Andrew for one of Mary's relatives, means manly
Friedrick-dad
Peter-Mary's family
Joachim-again Uncle

Anders a Danish name, with connections to the family, but not a royal name. Kind of like Joachim's eldest son. I like Karl better.

The little princess

Princess Johanne Thyra Mary Renee

Johanne-god is gracious, feminine of John for Mary's dad and brother
Thyra-derived from Thor which means thunder, Danish royal name
Mary-for mum
Renee- Henrik's mother, born again

or

Princess Mathilde Renee Mary Elizabeth

Mathilde: strength in battle, from Danish family tree, but also Oz link
Renee: Henrik's mother
Mary: mum
Elizabeth:god is my oath, name taken from both families

so if sticking to royal names Prince Karl and Princess Mathilde

or Danish names but with more family ties like Joachim's sons Princess Johanne and Prince Anders

I personally like Prince Karl and Princess Johanne, a mix of both

Thanks Muhler, after I read your response, it made perfect sense and my question sound really silly, I must of been tired. LOL:lol: Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question, I am jealous that you live in Denmark and get to have a Royal Family:flowers::flowers:

You are welcome. :)

There is no such thing as silly questions, only silly answers. ;)

Yes, Melissaadrian, I do see your logic in Karl and Johanne.
They are sweet names.

Cleo - Queen Cleopatra had twins - the girl was called Cleopatra Selene
Mary and Nicholas - Saint Nicholas/Santa Claus & Mary mother of Jesus
Rosa - I read an article that stated that Mary's late mother loved her rose garden and that roses were her favourite flower.

Why would the Danish crown prince couple name their child after Cleopatra's daughter? She was an Egyptian queen of Greek descent...no Danish ties there.

for den lillepig:
Anna Catharina Helene Mary
Charlotte Johanne Lovisa Mary

for den lilledreng:
Christoffer William Andre Alexander
Johan Alexander Frederik René

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom