The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Prince Nikolaos would be nice but also why not his wife Princess Tatiana (each for a twin).

Old 01-14-2011, 12:38 AM
Gentry

Boy: Lucas or Oliver, outliers, since they are popular right now in both Australia and in Denmark; if they go more royal it could be William or Michael. I would guess Frederik as one of the middle names.
So: William Frederik Franz Georg

Girl: Sofie or Charlotte, followed by Danish royal family names. Sophia and Isabella are such a typical sister pairing. She could have Margrethe as a middle name like her older sister since they repeated Ingrid for all three sisters in her grandmother's generation.

So: Sofie Charlotte Mathilde Elisabeth

Old 01-14-2011, 12:57 AM
Courtier

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestocking View Post
Boy: Lucas or Oliver, outliers, since they are popular right now in both Australia and in Denmark; if they go more royal it could be William or Michael. I would guess Frederik as one of the middle names.
So: William Frederik Franz Georg

Girl: Sofie or Charlotte, followed by Danish royal family names. Sophia and Isabella are such a typical sister pairing. She could have Margrethe as a middle name like her older sister since they repeated Ingrid for all three sisters in her grandmother's generation.

So: Sofie Charlotte Mathilde Elisabeth
I have to say that Sophie and Lucas sound just about right to me. Modern and popular but normal enough to be taken seriously, in a similar vein to Isabella.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

GIRL:
Abigail
Caroline(a)
Mathilde(a)
sophie(a)
Dagmar
Louise(a)
Mary
Maria
Elizabeth
Anne(a)
Emme(a)
Rachel
Ingeborg
Margrethe
Magdanele(a)
Isolde(a)
Catherine(a)
Therese(a)
Helen
Veronica
Grace
Amelia
Sarah
Susanne(a)
Charlotte
Alexandrine
Laura
Victoria
Isaura
Chritine(a)
Adelaide
Margarita

BOY:
Alexander
Axel
Dominic
Tristan
Richard
John
Johan
Daniel
Erik
Peter
Pavlos
Michael
Jonathan
Louis
William
Andrew
George
Lucas
Oliver
Adam
Noah
Benjamin
Andreas
Phillip
Oscar
Carl
Gabriel
Christoffer
Thomas
Alexios
Jacob
Arthur
Hans

ok im done with names. i hope they choose my personal choice above
Old 01-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Nobility

According to Australia's Daily Telegraph, "An internet poll of more than 13,700 Danes found Harald, Gorm, Sven or Knud were preferred names for the Prince, while Caroline, Sophie, Louise or Charlotte were favorites for the Princess."

Of these names, I prefer Sven and Sophie.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Courtier

I'm not sure I heard right or understood correctly but the reporters asked Mary and Frederik about the names today. Did they say that they had had names ready for a long time already? I only saw a brief glimpse of the press meeting today and thought I heard them say that but now I'm not sure. They might have been joking since after that there was some talk about Elvis.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Courtier

I hope that the newspaper's wrong! I can't imagine Mary, or any Anglophone,agreeing to call their son 'Gorm'. Yes, I'm aware of its historical relevance to Denmark, and even that it has some meaning in Scotland, but 'Gorm' would become 'gorm-less' in English (I can just hear it, now) an especially unappealing word: Prince Gorm(less)....shudder!

I'd love Matilda, but there's already a Princess Mathilde, so perhaps that's not possible. I can't see Mary's agreeing to give her daughter the name of any other princess, though it's true that Australians would be delighted with Matilda. On the other hand, she only needs please herself, her husband and the Danish population, not Australians.

I still believe, as well, that Dagmar would be unacceptable to Mary as it's unattractive in English because of the way it would be pronounced. In Australia, it would look particularly ugly and become a joke, though I'm aware that it really is lovely, like most Scandanavian names.

It's possible, however, that she'll surprise us, as she did before, and the twins will have first names that haven't been considered by any of us.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Serene Highness

Robert or Rupert ("sparkling with glory") and Ricarda ("rich of talents")
or vice versa
Richard and Roberta

Being a fan for so long now I will take it as a personal insult if not at least one of them is named after me . No, I actually don't know whether those names sound good in Danish.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharina View Post
I'm not sure I heard right or understood correctly but the reporters asked Mary and Frederik about the names today. Did they say that they had had names ready for a long time already? I only saw a brief glimpse of the press meeting today and thought I heard them say that but now I'm not sure. They might have been joking since after that there was some talk about Elvis.
You almost got it right They have been thinking af names for a long time, since they knew the genders of the twins. But I┤m not sure that they know their exact names yet
Old 01-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
You almost got it right They have been thinking af names for a long time, since they knew the genders of the twins. But I┤m not sure that they know their exact names yet
And not to forget that they already have two kids and have discussed potential names before. So they didn't have to start from scratch and already knew which names they both liked (and hopefully "Gorm" was ruled out for ever in their very first discussion).

Edit: I hope that Gorm isn't a popular Danish name. I didn't want to offend anyone. But in my ears it sound only fit for a medieval viking!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Aristocracy

haha. :) I must admit Sven would also be a total let down.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

August Frederik Artur Knud
Old 01-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
I hope that the newspaper's wrong! I can't imagine Mary, or any Anglophone,agreeing to call their son 'Gorm'. Yes, I'm aware of its historical relevance to Denmark, and even that it has some meaning in Scotland, but 'Gorm' would become 'gorm-less' in English (I can just hear it, now) an especially unappealing word: Prince Gorm(less)....shudder!

I'd love Matilda, but there's already a Princess Mathilde, so perhaps that's not possible. I can't see Mary's agreeing to give her daughter the name of any other princess, though it's true that Australians would be delighted with Matilda. On the other hand, she only needs please herself, her husband and the Danish population, not Australians.

I still believe, as well, that Dagmar would be unacceptable to Mary as it's unattractive in English because of the way it would be pronounced. In Australia, it would look particularly ugly and become a joke, though I'm aware that it really is lovely, like most Scandanavian names.

It's possible, however, that she'll surprise us, as she did before, and the twins will have first names that haven't been considered by any of us.

Dagmar is pronounced like dow-mar, and I don't think that's too unattractive. I'd love to see the name Thyra make a comeback, though.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Serene Highness

Dagmar is a pretty name, pronounced in danish
Old 01-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Commoner

Prince Dominic or Dominik

Princess Rose Olivia
or
Princess Sophie Rose
or
Princess Olivia Rose
Old 01-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Gentry

Knud and Valdemar are both Danish royal names though Valdemar sounds pretty old fashioned. Harald sounds pretty unattractive in English. I still would lay odds on a fairly modern, popular name for the boy, like Lucas or William or Oliver. Noah is currently very popular in Denmark and Australia as well.

I'd say the Internet poll is on the money with the names for the little girl. Would Danes pronounce Caroline as Car-o-lee-na? They might prefer a name that is pronounced the same in English and Danish. I think Sophie/Sofie sounds like their style. I think the As beginning of Astrid would turn Mary off just like Dagmar would. There are too many juvenile jokes you can make with that name. I doubt they'd go with Ingrid as a first name due to the Norwegian princess. There are Sophias and Louises in this generation of young princesses, but maybe the relationship between countries isn't close enough to turn them off those names.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Dagmar is pronounced like dow-mar, and I don't think that's too unattractive. I'd love to see the name Thyra make a comeback, though.
Yes, but as has been pointed out before many times, it has specific connotations in Australia. Mary won't call her daughter anything which will permit her ex-countrymen and women to call the little girl, Princess Daggy, which is what Australians would do, albeit in jest. In Australia, a 'dag' is either a joker or someone who's so uncool that he's a joke and embarrassment. It also refers to the unlovely bits clinging to a sheep's backside.

No, no Dagmar for this little princess, I hope.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:37 AM

I think Mary will call her son Aleksander, and her little girl Marianna.
I think these names go beautifully with Christian and Isabella.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:56 AM
Gentry

Please not Dagmar. Not only it will be used in jest as far as Australians are concerned but the pronounciation of it in Danish is a four letter swear word starting with F in Vietnamese. Although I am well aware that Vietnam has nothing to do with this

CP Mary could use the name John for her little prince as a tribute to her own father and I like the name Marietta or Fredrica for the princess.

As I'm unaware of all her previous kid's godparents, if she hasn't already I would like to see Maxima and Willem-Alexander as godparents to one as it seems like they all get along so well. Also Daniel since Victoria is already one. Is Caroline Heering a godparent to one of her kids yet? If not then she would be a great choice. Marie, Joachim and Alexandra would be nice too.
Is she close to her current LiW Tanja Doking? If they are I wouldn't be surprised to see her and her husband named as godparents too.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Gentry

My Guesses:

Prince Frederik
Princess Alexandra

Closed Thread