The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Royal Highness

Or Dorthe and Dennis

I would love to see Axel for the boy.....

Old 01-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
This theory about the names has to be in the pedigree of CP Frederik, where does it comes from? I don´t think it has to be in the pedigree, at least there´s no law about it, so that leaves it to tradition and who knows - they might surprise us here
I thought they will use traditional names which have been before in the pedrigree, because they stick to tradtion, when calling Christian. Also Valdemar and Isabella(= Isabella/Elisabeth of Austria) are in the pedigree. The other names (Margrethe, Henrietta, Ingrid, Henri, John) are the names of family members and also in the pedigree of the children.

Mary mentioned in an interview that she saw "Isabella" in F's pedigree. (from Wikipedia: Prinsesse Isabella - Wikipedia, den frie encyklopædi "Kronprinsesse Mary nævnte over for den australske avis The Mercury at hun havde fundet navnet på kronprins Frederiks stamtavle." )

Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Royal Highness

For the girl : Adelaide, Josefine, Charlotte, Louisa, Louise
For the boy: Valdemar, Carl, Gabriel, Christoffer, Johan
Old 01-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAmalia View Post
I thought they will use traditional names which have been before in the pedrigree, because they stick to tradtion, when calling Christian. Also Valdemar and Isabella(= Isabella/Elisabeth of Austria) are in the pedigree. The other names (Margrethe, Henrietta, Ingrid, Henri, John) are the names of family members and also in the pedigree of the children.
The name Valdemar is growing on me for the little prince. I think it would be a great name for him. I really hope they choose Ingrid for the little princess.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

there is every possibility the new little princess will be called Margrethe.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Mary mentioned in an interview that she saw "Isabella" in F's pedigree. (from Wikipedia: Prinsesse Isabella - Wikipedia, den frie encyklopædi "Kronprinsesse Mary nævnte over for den australske avis The Mercury at hun havde fundet navnet på kronprins Frederiks stamtavle." )
Yes, it´s very plausible that they will use names from the pedigree out of tradition But they could surprise us, just like QMII and Prince Henrik did when they named their youngest boy Joachim and later on when Prince Joachim and his first wife, the then Pss Alexandra, named their two sons
Old 01-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Aristocracy

I'm actually not only waiting for the name of the twins, my cousin (whose boys 1 and 2 years old call me auntie Sakah :) ) is expecting a girl in the beginning of february and they are not telling anyone before the day the little princess is born. :)

Exciting to see if it'll be the same name as the princess with a real title. :)
The boy are Emil and Adam, probably not likely as names for the prince. :)
Old 01-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Sorry, i was mentioning Sofie/Sophie. I love that name and if it were up to me to name the twins, i would name the girl Sofie, Mathilde or Feodora (or a combination of them) and the boy William Frederik Peter Andre.
Actually, if M+F do not want to use the name of another living royal person, it will be hard to find a nice name which is also in F's pedigree (e.g. List of Danish consorts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

just the girl names:
Margrethe: the Queen and already used for Isabella
Ingrid: Ingrid, grandchild of Benedikte of Denmark, Ingrid Alexandra of Norway and middle name of Isabella
Alexandrine: Countess Alexandra, ex-wife of Joachim, Ingrid Alexandra of Norway, Alexia (Nederlands), Alexander (nephew of Mary).
Louise/Luise: Louise of Belgium (daughter of Laurent), Lady Louise Windsor (daughter of The Earl of Wessex)
Caroline: Caroline of Monaco/Hannover, ( Caroline Heering - not royal, but makes it unlikely that the name is used)
Amalie: Catharina-Amalia (Nederlands), (somebody wrote that in their circle of friends is a little Emily - so also unlikely).
Sophie: Sofia of Spain (the Queen and the Infanta)
Marie/Maria: Marie of Denmark (sister-in-law) and Mary herself
Mathilde: Mathilde of Belgium
Magdalene: Madeleine of Sweden
Anne/a: Anne, Princess Royal
Charlotte: Charlotte, daughter of Princess Caroline of Hannover
Catherine: Catherine Middleton, Catharina-Amalia (Nederlands)
Isabella: the newborn's sister
Christina/Christine: Christina of Sweden, Cristina of Spain
Eleanor/Eleonora: Leonore (Oranien-Nassau), Infanta Leonor, Eleonore of Belgium
Helena: Elena of Spain, Sophie Helen of Wessex
Emma: Emma Tallulah Behn
Ingegerd: very similar to Ingrid
Elisabeth: Elizabeth II., Elisabeth of Belgium, Mary's middle name and a form of Isabella

So that leaves the following to M+F:

Thyra
Gyda
Gunnhild
Bodil
Ulvhild
Malmfred
Lutgard
Berengaria
Adelheid
Dagmar
Gertrude
Tove
Sigrid
Gyrid
Helvig/Hedvig
Euphemia
Ingeborg
Augusta
Agnes
Mechthild
Frederikke (but very close to the father's name)
Vilhelmine
Ulrikke
Jutta
Philippa: nobody (Catherine Middleton's sister came to my mind, but she is not royal)
Juliana: ? (nobody comes to my mind, although it is used as middle name in the Nederlands (Alexia Juliana..))
Dorothea: nobody

The bold ones, are the ones who are well-known first names today. The others are just awkward.
But likely are only Philippa, Frederikke, Juliana and Dorothea. The others (Mechthild, Agnes, Ingeborg....) are sounding to medieval to my ears.

I still think, M + F do not mind, if somebody else used the name. I think it is more important for them, that they really like the names and that they are somehow traditional. But i do not think they will use names used for nieces/nephews, like e.g. Ingrid and Alexander
I was thinking more along the lines of this generation, like royal children born in the same generation as the twins. I know the twins are 4th and 5th to the throne,but they could. It might be a nice honor to include the name of an older royal, like the CP of the Netherlands, William (well danish variation), perhaps if he was godfather in that case. I just think when in twenty years when these are the adults and future heirs not heir to heirs, they will likely stay away from doubling up on names. It would be one thing if a younger son or such perhaps did, but Friedrick will be king.

It's not traditional in Denmark, but I am starting to like Juliana. It perhaps has something to do with the fact I am Canadian, and the Dutch royal family lived in Canada during the war so I feel a sort of link to them.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Courtier

They might choose something totally different with no royal precedent at all but still a traditional, old name...I was thinking of Olivia for a girl...Olivia does have an Australian association in Olivia Newton-John and it is popular at the moment...Princess Olivia would work, wouldn't it? Livvy and Bella are cute nicknames for sisters...
Old 01-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Serene Highness

My first thought was Olivia Oyl
Old 01-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
My first thought was Olivia Oyl
Popeye's girlfriend was just Olive Oyl, wasn't she? Not Olivia Oyl?
Old 01-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Serene Highness

In Germany her name is Olivia
Old 01-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
In Germany her name is Olivia
Also in Denmark
Old 01-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Aristocracy

I can't see any point in giving the twins names that Christian and Isabella already have !
Old 01-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Serene Highness

Nei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystiblue View Post
I can't see any point in giving the twins names that Christian and Isabella already have !
Neither can I

I am convinced that the CPC will find new unused (in their little family) names for the twins
Old 01-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Courtier

Ok so not Olivia then...Sticking with original suggestions (in order of probability):

Boys: Oscar, Olafur, Harald, Archibald, Marius, Johan, Jorgen, William, Wilhelm, Thomas, Elvis
(middle names: Frederik, Aage, Vilhelm, Henrik, Holger, Stuart)

Girls: Matilda, Adelaide, Frederikke, Victoria, Anneke, Annika, Charlotte, Xenia, Sophia, Amelia, Dorothea
(middle names: Dagmar, Thyra, Ingeborg, Thorhildur, Patricia, Jane, Olympia, Benedikte)

Hurry up and announce the date so I can start another countdown :)
Old 01-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post
Ok so not Olivia then...Sticking with original suggestions (in order of probability):

Boys: Oscar, Olafur, Harald, Archibald, Marius, Johan, Jorgen, William, Wilhelm, Thomas, Elvis
(middle names: Frederik, Aage, Vilhelm, Henrik, Holger, Stuart)

Girls: Matilda, Adelaide, Frederikke, Victoria, Anneke, Annika, Charlotte, Xenia, Sophia, Amelia, Dorothea
(middle names: Dagmar, Thyra, Ingeborg, Thorhildur, Patricia, Jane, Olympia, Benedikte)

Hurry up and announce the date so I can start another countdown :)
Olivia could be one of the names Don´t rule it out
Old 01-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Courtier

Princess Frida and Prince Marcus?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Aristocracy

I thought they looked at past Danish Monarchs and their families when it came to nameing the kids.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Courtier

I still stick with TRISTAN and MATHILDA or MAGDALENA. I don't know why. Somehow I have this feeling.

But nevertheless, why do you all think a name is out of discussion if it is already used in another royal family? I can see the difficulties with the middle names of Christian and Isabella, but why those others?

Alexandrine: Countess Alexandra, ex-wife of Joachim, Ingrid Alexandra of Norway, Alexia (Netherlands), Willem-Alexander (Netherlands), Alexandra (of Hannover), Alexander (nephew of Mary).

- Why not another version (Alexandrine or Alexa) of this name if there are so many already? The only argument is Joachims Ex-Wife, but since they still do have a good relationship with her, it's only half an argument IMO.

Louise/Luise: Louise of Belgium (daughter of Laurent), Lady Louise Windsor (daughter of The Earl of Wessex)

- Same here. Why not a Louise of Denmark too? Or a Louisa of Denmark? Because then the name is at least slightly different.

Sophie: Sofia of Spain (the Queen and the Infanta). Sophie (Countess of Wessex), And maybe, just maybe, someday there could be a Sofia of Sweden to (if Carl Philip sticks to his current girlfriend)

- So again, why not a Sof/phie or Sof/phia of Denmark too?

Marie/Maria: Marie of Denmark (sister-in-law) and Mary herself

- OK, this one I can completely understand. Or they choose Maria just because there are the other two already. Then I could totally see it as the DRFs privat little joke.

Mathilde: Mathilde of Belgium

- The aformentioned could be the godmother. Wouldn't that be nice?

Magdalene: Madeleine of Sweden

- See above.

Anne/a: Anne, Princess Royal

- Anna would be nice, because that's not exactly the same name. Or why not Annabelle? Then there would be a little connection between the two sisters.

Christina/Christine: Christina of Sweden, Cristina of Spain

- Again, why not a third one with this name. There isn't (like it is with all the name versions below) a little royal girl around with this name. It's about time again.

Eleanor/Eleonora: Leonore (Oranien-Nassau), Infanta Leonor, Eleonore of Belgium

- (just needed for my argument above)

Helena: Elena of Spain, Sophie Helen of Wessex

- just see my Christina argument

Elisabeth: Elizabeth II., Elisabeth of Belgium, Mary's middle name and a form of Isabella

- Honestly, why not? This is an old, traditional royal name and I don't see Isabellas name as a problem, because it may be a version of Elisabeth but it's not the same name. It's not even similar written or pronounced, so honestly, why would this name be a problem? And also, why not just a short-form like Elisa/Eliza?

OK, that's just my opinion to all the names. Because I think just because they're used in royal families doesn't mean they're forbidden if F&M really like them.

As for the little prince, what would speak against Andreas (version of one of Freds middle names (André), Holger (one of Joachims = princes uncles middle names) or Johannes (version of Henriks = princes grandpas middle name)? Just something to think about.

Closed Thread