Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As an aside, what are they going to do about the christening gown? They can't both wear it at the same time!

Either two new ones, or use the one that Henrik was christened in?

Hm, I would guess that it is either two new ones or a replica of the original one :)

Which Henrik Lumutqueen? And if there is another 'old' christening robe doing the rounds then it stands to reason it will be used alongside the other really old one that Margrethe, Frederik, Christian and Isabella were christened in...

Henrik Jr. I believe there was a gown made for Nikolai and Felix, another made for Henrik Jr.

Lumutqueen, you are right, there was one for Nikolai and Felix and one for Henrik Jr.
I think they were both designed by Henrik Hviid?

Indeed they were, just found where I originally asked. :)

Well, if William is godparent to a Greek royal child, then I see a pattern...Isn't William's grandfather, Prince Philip part of the Greek royal family? So maybe that is to create ties between the two houses...And as for Prince Edward being Nikolai's godparent, could that be related to Alexandra's part-Englishness (her mother is English and her father is part-English)...So employing a English royal grandparent covers both bases (English and a royal)...

So I was wondering with Mary's Scottish roots, if there were any royal houses/titles related to Scottish royals...Well, of course there is Prince Philip again, being the Duke of Edinburgh and all ;) But he is way too old...Maybe Prince Harry will be the next Duke of Edinburgh and he can be a godparent and if the baby boy is called Prince Harald like I am hoping, Prince Harry of Denmark will have Prince Harry of Wales as his godparent...too cute!

Why is he way too old? There have been great grandparents who have been godparents.

And since when is Harry the future Duke of Edinburgh? The title reverts to the throne, when Philip dies, but it has been stated Elizabeth intends for the title to pass to Edward, why he is only an Earl right now. So if you want the future Duke of Edinburgh, you'd be looking at Edward or his wife. And considering Edward and Sophie seem to have more links to the continent, they attend more weddings and such, they are far more likely. Mary and Fred are not likely to pick just some random royal, but someone they have a connection to. If they were going random, it may not be royal, but Scotland has no shortage of nobility aka non royal dukes, earls, marquess and so on.

Mary is a Donaldson, a sept of the MacDonald clan, so if she went for an impersonal link to her Scottish heritage, not someone she has personal link to:

Godfrey James Macdonald, 8th Baron MacDonald of Slate, chief of clan Donald, Donaldsons are a sept of Clan Donald.
or
Alexander Douglas-Hamilton, 16th Duke of Hamilton and Brandon, the family is the descendents of the Earls of Angus, who before the union of the crowns over saw the Selkirk area, of which Mary's family comes from
or
the younger brother of the Duke of Hamilton, James Douglas-Hamilton who is Baron Selkirk, a life peerage. He was 11th earl of selkirk, but he disclaimed his title, to retain his position in the house of lords. His son is heir to the title of Earl still though.

I personally think they'd go with people they know, then some distant Scottish connection like a British royal just because she has Scottish blood.

Last edited:
Thanks Melissa for the info...Just boredom on my part waiting for the big day on April 14th...And Prince Philip IS old, just heard this week that he is 90 years old, I never knew that he was THAT old!!! Because royalty are forever in our radar and always around, that's why to me they seem ageless or immortal ;)

Thanks Melissa for the info...Just boredom on my part waiting for the big day on April 14th...And Prince Philip IS old, just heard this week that he is 90 years old, I never knew that he was THAT old!!! Because royalty are forever in our radar and always around, that's why to me they seem ageless or immortal ;)

Well I guess in fairness Prince Philip (who will be 90 in June) is older then Queen Victoria Eugenie when she was named godmother to her great grandson, the current prince of Astrurius. She was only 81 at the time, died a year later. As was Queen Mary, when she served as godmother to her great grandson Prince Charles. She at least survived till he was 5. But there are a number of grandparents/great grandparents/granduncles who were named godparents.

And since when is Harry the future Duke of Edinburgh? The title reverts to the throne, when Philip dies, but it has been stated Elizabeth intends for the title to pass to Edward, why he is only an Earl right now. So if you want the future Duke of Edinburgh, you'd be looking at Edward or his wife.

That has been mentioned at the time of Edward's wedding, but not since.

And suppose Phillip outlives the Queen? Then it will be up to Charles, and he may very well chose to give the title to Harry instead.

That has been mentioned at the time of Edward's wedding, but not since.

And suppose Phillip outlives the Queen? Then it will be up to Charles, and he may very well chose to give the title to Harry instead.

It was stated when Edward married, that Charles had agreed with his mother. Do you really think Charles will over look the direct wishes of both his parents, to name his son Duke of Edinburgh if Philip outlives his wife? There is no shortage of Dukedomes, it would be pretty crass of him to name Harry Duke of Edinburgh, not to mention the public out cry. The public is more than aware Elizabeth stated Edward would have the title. Charles already has enough bad PR from the people in the UK without adding that. Harry will be Duke of something, but not Edinburgh.

And why has it not been mentioned since? Well because talking of Prince Philip like he is dead is a tad bit morbid don't you think. It has been made known, the queen's wishes and intentions, that's enough.

The likely hood is Philip will die first. He is five years the queen's senior. Their birthdays are both June, he will be 90, she will be 85. Her mother was 102 when she died. Prince Philip has suffered a serious heart problem since 1992.

Last edited:
Sorry I have steered this thread off course...but really our speculations are just a game because we never know what direction Mary and Frederik will go in, with either names or godparents...I am sure not maybe people were expecting John or Henri (the French version) to be included in Christian's name or even that they would use a name like Isabella...and as for godparents, well how many more friends can come out the woodwork now and step up as godparents?

But on the question of godparents, when a person is made a godparent does that make their spouse a godparent by default? I am thinking of Prince Daniel (Victoria is already) Princess Marie (Joachim is already) or Caroline Heering (Peter is already)...And another question, you can be approached/invited to be a godparent but you still have the right of refusal, don't you? If you think you aren't up to the responsibility, etc...

My hopes are that the Doky's, the Reedtz-Thott's get a look in this time...Maybe the Varnoe's because I am actually sceptical about the role of a godparent, I don't think it has much to do with religious instruction, more a strategic move, future insurance for their child, return for favours...(like ski holidays in Switzerland ;) )

Okay, time to get back to the main topic of this thread - thanks! :flowers:

But on the question of godparents, when a person is made a godparent does that make their spouse a godparent by default? I am thinking of Prince Daniel (Victoria is already) Princess Marie (Joachim is already) or Caroline Heering (Peter is already)...And another question, you can be approached/invited to be a godparent but you still have the right of refusal, don't you? If you think you aren't up to the responsibility, etc...
No, I don't think a spouse becomes a godparent by default and Prince Daniel is a possiblity. Though I don't know how long he's known Frederik and Mary.

Geez, I'm almost afraid to post again, after the recent attack, but dare I suggest NO British royals and perhaps Prince Daniel and Miss Petty as godparents this time..

No, I don't think a spouse becomes a godparent by default and Prince Daniel is a possiblity. Though I don't know how long he's known Frederik and Mary.

IMO long enough to become a godparent! Royal godparenting is also about inclusion and appreciation:flowers:!

Viv

Prince Daniel and Miss Petty as godparents this time..

Love these suggestions, it was about time Amber Petty was fully recognised as the deserving friend that she it. :flowers:

Last edited:
There are quiet a few close friends of Fred who could be godparents :)

Ellen Helingsoe
Holger Foss
Chris Minh Doky
Ditlef Ahlefeldt-Laurvig
Soeren Jessen
Michael Brockenhuus-Schack
Christian and Gitte Dalum
Christina Obel
Anne Katrine and Lars Wilhjelm
Frederik and Christel Lüttichau
Michael Halbye
Bendt and Pernille Wedell
Rikke Juel Brandt
Julie Meulengracht and Peter Bang
Christian and Mette Ahlefeldt-Laurvig
Thomas and Tina Fabienke
Marc Hom
Julie Moelsgaard
Nina Wedell-Wedellsborg
Niclas Palmstierna
Thomas Blachmann
Henrik Olsen
Soeren Lauritsen
Soeren Bredvig Nielsen
Kasper Harsberg
Charlotte and Thomas Velin
Carl Erik Kjaersgaard
Christian Levin

Bendt and Pernille Wedell
Christian and Mette Ahlefeldt-Laurvig
Thomas Blachmann
I think that we can rule these out for these reasons:
Bendt and Pernille Wedell-Wedellsborg / Christian and Mette Ahlefeldt-Laurvig: They seem to have more contact with Prince Joachim and Princess Marie

Thomas Blachmann: IMO - I love him, but I think he´s to controvesial...

Hm, why is Thomas Blachmann controversial? Because he is a judge on X Factor?

Hm, why is Thomas Blachmann controversial? Because he is a judge on X Factor?
It´s a part of it. Not the judging-thing, but the things he´s saying while on X-Factor-job :whistling:

Names: Eric / Harald / for boy and Anna / Louise / Sophie for girl
Godparents: prince Gustav, prince Nikolaos or prince Daniel, and princess Marie, princess Madeleine and Caroline Heering.

Have either of the Handwer's been chosen as godparents for Christian and Isabella ?

Jeppe Handwerk would be a godfather that I wouldnt mind at all looking at !!!

Have either of the Handwer's been chosen as godparents for Christian and Isabella ?

Jeppe Handwerk would be a godfather that I wouldnt mind at all looking at !!!

Jeppe is godfather to Christian. :flowers:

Here are the godparents of Christian

Hendes Kongelige Højhed Kronprinsesse Victoria af Sverige
Hendes Kongelige Højhed Kronprinsesse Mette-Marit af Norge
Fru Jane Stephens​
Hans Kongelige Højhed Prins Joachim
Hans Kongelige Højhed Kronprins Haakon af Norge
Hans Kongelige Højhed Kronprins Pavlos af Grækenland
Hr. Hamish Campbell
Hr. Jeppe Handwerk

http://www.kronprinsparret.dk/3bf0029

And here the godparents of Isabella

H.K.H. Prinsesse Mathilde af Belgien
H.K.H. Prinsesse Alexia
Dr. Nadine Johnston
Overlæge, dr.med. Christian Buchwald
Direktør, major Peter Heering
Hofjægermesterinde Marie Louise Skeel

http://www.kronprinsparret.dk/4ea0029

I really don't think Amber Petty will be a godparent as everyone is saying...I could be wrong and just jinxing myself...But I think there is a difference between the role of a family friend (Amber) and a godparent...And maybe the role of godparent is too constrained and Amber will provide and play another role that is free of religious boundaries and rules...A godparent has to play a part in the religious education and spiritual life of their godchild, that is the broad definition...And I don't think that sits well with Amber herself...while it would be a nice gesture on Mary's part, it wouldn't make much sense...I don't know, maybe I am confused about the whole godparent thing?

I guess the parents' choice of godparents would be based on what kind of support they want the godparent to provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom