Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
godparents

lumutqueen,didn't realise you were so knowledgeable about the various Royals comings and goings,unofficial visits,unofficial phone calls etc. Obviously they must let you know everything they do and don't do.
It was afterall only a suggestion,good grief!:bang:

I don't think grandparents would ever be considered as godparents...they are grandparents and give guidance and wisdom in other ways and being older also hinders their ability to be there when the godchild comes of age...I think the godparent is usually someone of the same age group as the parents or younger, someone with similar values to the parents and someone who can offer a insight into the character and life of their parents (which is why it is important for Mary to always choose an Australian godparent)...

So I really don't see grandparents, John Donaldson, and wife Susan Moody and QM and Prince Henrik EVER being considered for this role at all...I see Patricia Bailey being chosen as (one of) the girls godparents and John Donaldson jnr being chosen for the boy...then all siblings (of Mary) have a godchild and make up the Australian criteria...or vice versa ;)

There is royal precedence. Infanta Leonor of Spain's godparents are the King and Queen of Spain, her grandparents.

Prince Felipe's godparents are not only his grandfather Infante Juan, Count of Barcelona, but his Great-grandmother Victoria-Eugenia.

Prince Willem-Alexander's godfather includes his grandfather, Prince Bernhard (it seems in the Netherlands there is also a tradition for a godparent to be a member of parliament, both he and his daughter Catharina, have)

The Duke of Brabant, Prince Philippe's godparents include his paternal grandfather King Leopold III, and his maternal grandmother Donna Luisa, Princess Ruffo di Calabria.

Crown prince Hakon has his grandfather Olav V,

Ingrid-Alexandra's godparents include King Harald her grandfather, and her maternal grandmother

Sverre-Magnus has his grandmother Queen Sonja

Princess Eugenie of York has her maternal grandfather's second wife as a godmother so step grandma (Kind of like Susan Moody)

Charles has his grandfather, Queen Mary (great-grandmother), Prince George of Greece (his granduncle), the dowager Marchioness of Milford Haven (his paternal great-grandmother), and David Bowes-Lyon (his maternal great-uncle). Not to mention King Haakon VII who was of age of his grandfather. (there were several younger ones as well)

Andrew only has among his much shorter list of godparents than his brother, his granduncle Duke of Gloucester (so brother to a grandfather).

Anne has her maternal grandmother the queen mum, Princess Andrew of Greece and Denmark (paternal grandmother) Earl mountbattan of burma (granduncle),

Edward is the only one without older godparents from Elizabeth's kids

So while I doubt they will, I stated in another post my thoughts on possible godparents, there is plenty of precedence for a grandparent, or a great/grand aunt or uncle (sibling of a grandparent), to be godparent.

Hey not just royal, my godmothers (for some reason 2, not a godfather) are my grandmother's two eldest sisters. They are both alive today, and I'm 30.

Thanks for the info, Melissa...so it still might happen but it doesn't mean I won't think it is weird ;)

I dont like the 14th of april because maxima and wa cant be there... Although I hope that one of them can come over from germany to be one of the godparents!

I like the name Mads Arthur Nikolai Frederik for the boy with grandparents Prince Daniel, Prince Nikolai and some family and friends
And the names for the girl, Hege Dagmar Mary Amber, with grandparents Princess Máxima, Alexandra (joachims ex wife), Amber petty and Marys sister

lumutqueen,didn't realise you were so knowledgeable about the various Royals comings and goings,unofficial visits,unofficial phone calls etc. Obviously they must let you know everything they do and don't do.
It was afterall only a suggestion,good grief!:bang:

These are royals, they don't go anywhere without being seen. Also considering Catherine isn't going to be a fully fledged royal until after the christening, hardly fair.
Thank you for the compliment about my knowledge though. :)

I might be wrong but I think British Royals are rarely asked to be godparents to European Royals, at least in the current generation of Royal babies. I think the Countess of Wessex is a godmother but I can't remember who to.

godparents

lumutqueen,you started this tiff with your smug comments and you don't know when is enough is enough. I am not going to roll over and play dead though even if it gets me banned from the forum.
I do hope that we have some guests who have been following our "banter" and seeing that an innocent post like my first can erupt into something so nasty will make them think twice about joining. A mere suggestion about what would be a nice gesture has turned into a huge quarrel thanks to the likes of you!
Glad you think I was complimenting your "knowledge" (you're not the only one who can be sarcastic)

I might be wrong but I think British Royals are rarely asked to be godparents to European Royals, at least in the current generation of Royal babies. I think the Countess of Wessex is a godmother but I can't remember who to.

That's my impression too.

Is there a reason for that? I mean, the BRF are not completely isolated from the continental royals, I trust.

Welll Edward (Earl of Wessex) is the godfather of Nikolai, and Anne is the godmother of Haakon of Norway.

So anything is really possible, although I doubt this will be the case for the twins.

Muhler said:
That's my impression too.

Is there a reason for that? I mean, the BRF are not completely isolated from the continental royals, I trust.

I guess it's the age gap? Edward, the youngest of the Queen's children, is a good deal older than most of the European heirs. And the rest of the children are old old enough to be godparents to the heirs themselves.

Last edited:

Edward is a godfather to Nikolai of Denmark. Currently I don't find any informations on Sophie :ermm:

Sternchen said:
Edward is a godfather to Nikolai of Denmark. Currently I don't find any informations on Sophie :ermm:

That must be it then. I vaguely remember Wessex coming up somewhere in a wikipedia article.

I guess it's the age gap? Edward, the youngest of the Queen's children, is a good deal older than most of the European heirs. And the rest of the children are old old enough to be godparents to the heirs themselves.

That makes sense.

But how about Charles and Andrew's children? They are if I remember correctly in their 20's or around 20. I.e. old enough to be considered godparents.
Have any of them developed a relationship to the younger continental royals, who are having children? A relationship serious enough for them to be considered potential godparents?

I know this is perhaps slightly off topic, but I ask because William and Catherine have several times been suggested as godparents. - So by which royals would it be more obvious they were chosen as godparents, if not by the Danish royals? - Which I personally doubt very much.

My guess is, that neither William nor Harry have a close relationship to the other European Royal Families. You never see them at any events, be it birthdays, weddings, christenings, you name it. IIRC the Wessexes are friends with Dutch Royals, isn't Laurentien a good friend? And Joachim is good friend with the Wessexes, too. The WEssexes were at the wedding of Victoria and Daniel, and also at the Wedding of Fred and Mary.

Edward seems to be the closest of the BRF to the European royal houses. It would be nice for either him or Sophie to be named godparents.

And Edward was at the wedding of Joachim and Alexandra :)

But how about Charles and Andrew's children? They are if I remember correctly in their 20's or around 20. I.e. old enough to be considered godparents.
Have any of them developed a relationship to the younger continental royals, who are having children? A relationship serious enough for them to be considered potential godparents?

It's hard to know what goes on behind closed doors, but in terms of information that's public and verifiable, I haven't seen anything that would indicate a close relationship between Charles' sons and continental royals. Given how high profile William and Harry are I think someone in the British press would have picked up on a close friendship. I imagine they'll develop stronger links with continental royals with time, as they begin to take part in state and official visits, etc, but for now their official duties seem to revolve more around Britain and The Commonwealth.

It wouldn't surprise me if the twins' godparents were mostly not royal.

Isabella has 2 Royal godparents (Mathilde of Belgium and Alexia of Greece). Christian has 5 but then he's the heir. Maybe a Greek and Berleberg cousin for each twin, two of Mary's siblings and a few friends?

Maybe a Greek and Berleberg cousin for each twin

I think almost certainly one of the Berleburg cousins and his/her partner... the Crown Princely couple seems to have a very nice relationship with all three of the siblings. Maybe Princess Nathalie and her husband, since CP Mary is godmother to their baby who's so close in age to the twins. Princess Marie is also close to a sure thing, IMO. I could see the rest of the godparents coming from the couple's Danish and Australian friends and from the Donaldson family.

Off topic but isn't Prince William Godparent to one of the Greek grandchildren. I remember cause he had surgery and was holding the baby with one arm. I think Prince William or Harry would be great but I doubt it, I think it will be only one royal per each child& the rest family&friends.

:previous:

Yes, William is godfather to Constantine Alexios, Prince Pavlos' eldest son. The Greeks, at this stage, are the only royals I can see asking the Wales boys to be godfathers to their children (Princess Diana was also godmother of Prince Philippos in the '80s).

Well, if William is godparent to a Greek royal child, then I see a pattern...Isn't William's grandfather, Prince Philip part of the Greek royal family? So maybe that is to create ties between the two houses...And as for Prince Edward being Nikolai's godparent, could that be related to Alexandra's part-Englishness (her mother is English and her father is part-English)...So employing a English royal grandparent covers both bases (English and a royal)...

So I was wondering with Mary's Scottish roots, if there were any royal houses/titles related to Scottish royals...Well, of course there is Prince Philip again, being the Duke of Edinburgh and all ;) But he is way too old...Maybe Prince Harry will be the next Duke of Edinburgh and he can be a godparent and if the baby boy is called Prince Harald like I am hoping, Prince Harry of Denmark will have Prince Harry of Wales as his godparent...too cute!

Well, the GRF does have ties to the BRF. I know Phillip was a Prince of Greece and Denmark...but honestly, he has never spent a lot of time there from what I can see.

Constatine is the godfather of William. Charles is the godfather of Pavolos and Maria Olympia. I don't even know why Edward is the godfather of Nikolai (and I don't think it has anything to do with Alexandra) ...basically I don't understand know if any relationship exists between Joachim and Edward. I can't even find any proof that Edward even attended Nikolai's christening. If anyone has proof, that would be great!

I can understand if Edward and/or Sohie was made a godparent to one of the twins, as they have the tour of the Continental weddings as the BRF representative. But that just goes to show IMO that we really don't know anything about the relationships of the royals. We think we know but we don't.

So if any member of the BRF is going to be a godparent...I would think it would be Edward and/or Sophie. But I think that Mary and Frederik are a lot closer to other royals, friends and family so they will honor them as godparents instead of Edward and/or Sophie. And certainly not William and/or Catherine.

Charles is the godfather of Pavolos and Maria Olympia. I don't even know why Edward is the godfather of Nikolai (and I don't think it has anything to do with Alexandra) ...basically I don't understand know if any relationship exists between Joachim and Edward. I can't even find any proof that Edward even attended Nikolai's christening. If anyone has proof, that would be great!

He was definetly not in the official pics, so I think it is safe to assume, that he wasn't present.

Christening nikolai denmark image by Waterstn on Photobucket

Off topic but isn't Prince William Godparent to one of the Greek grandchildren. I remember cause he had surgery and was holding the baby with one arm. I think Prince William or Harry would be great but I doubt it, I think it will be only one royal per each child& the rest family&friends.

William is godparent to Constantine Alexios of Greece. But I think the british royals are closer to the greeks than the danes.

William is godparent to Constantine Alexios of Greece. But I think the british royals are closer to the greeks than the danes.

I think another factor here is, that the Greek Royals live in London :)

crm2317 said:

Constantine Alexios has a lot of heirs as godparents. Maybe Pavlos just asked everyone?

Constantine Alexios has a lot of heirs as godparents. Maybe Pavlos just asked everyone?

I think he asked like four of them? Much like Ingrid Alexandra of Norway.

For the twins I think it will be royalty who are family and that's it.

I would like to think Mary's trip to Australia last year has some bearing on the 'regal' name she give her girl twin...Mary, in the past has never been to Adelaide before, I think even when Amber lived there, Mary's Australian friends have always come to her in Sydney, Melbourne and Hobart...So with that being the first ever time (maybe as Crown Princess) that Mary has visited the city, I am hoping that is a massive hint as to what the girls name will be...Would love:

Adelaide Matilda Patricia Jane

and for the boy, well since Mary didn't become a big movie star and win an Academy Award, the next best thing is to name your child:

Oscar Archibald Peter Frederik

And coincidently, two Aussie actors have kids with these names, Rachel Griffiths has a Adelaide and Hugh Jackman has a Oscar...And the trifecta is that Nicole Kidman has a Isabella :)

Hurry up April 14th!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom