Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Girls:
Anneke - or maybe Annika
Matilda - the waltzing connection
Adelaide - Aussie connection
Charlotte - royal, trendy and nice with Isabella
(middle names: Jane, Patricia, Mary, Dagmar)

Boys:
Olafur - sounds like Oliver and is Icelandic..
Harald - nickname Harry
Oscar - trendy and royal
Sebastian - sounds royal
Archibald - Mary's grandfathers name, and Prince Archie would be cute
Arthur - English royalty but could work..
(middle names: Aage, Vilhelm)

4 Godparents:The Earl And Countess of Wessex , Princess Marie and Brother John -(or Prince Albert)

4 Godparents:prince of Oranje and Princess Maxima, Prince Daniel and Sister Jane - (or Mette-Marit)

girls:
Caroline or Inger
Alaíde or Alana
Liliane or Stephanie
Anastasia/Tatiana or Juliana-Middle name(dynasty) :flowers:

boys:
Aksel
Louis or Erik
Marshal or Thierry
Alexei or Carl-Middle name(dynasty) :flowers:

Somehow most women prefer names being popular where they grew up. I and a lot of friends loved the name Emma oder Emilia since ever - suddenly end of the 90th it emerges in Top Ten list of baby names.

Isabella was a very modern und popular name in Australia in 2006/7
So maybe they will choose another name, that ist popular in Australia (just because it coincide with their taste.

so this is the top ten list from Aus. 2007:

1. Ella
  2. Emily
  3. Mia
  4. Isabella
  5. Chloe
  6. Charlotte
  7. Olivia
  8. Sophie
  9. Lily
  10. Sienna

1. Jack
  2. Joshua
  3. Lachlan
  4. William
  5. Thomas
  6. Riley
  7. James
  8. Cooper
  9. Ethan
  10. Noah
McCrindle Research || Market Research | Social Trend Analysis | Generational Studies | Brand-Idea-Service Relevance Audits

Some are just not regal enough: Ella, Emily, Mia, Chloe, Olivia, Lily and Sienna.

Leaves: Isabella, Charlotte and Sophie. So Charlotte and Sophie is my tip for sisters to Isabella

Pretty much the same with the boys names. I just cannot imagine a prince called either Jack, Joshua, Lachlan, Riley, Cooper, Ethan or Noah.

But i could imagine: William, Thomas and James. James sounds strange to me for a danish boy. so Thomas and William are likely to me.

So I'm changing my guess for a second boy from yesterday:
to Thomas Christian Andre Peter

I'm still thinking about the names of the twins.

By now I guess they will be named:

two girls:

Sophie Elizabeth Margrethe Victoria
Charlotte Louise Mary Henrietta

two boys:
William Frederik Henri Jan
Magnus Christian Andre Peter

Mixed:
Sophie Elizabeth Margrethe Victoria
William Frederik Andre Peter

The cousins of the new babies and Isabella und Christian are called:
Nikolai William Alexander Frederik
Felix Henrik Valdemar Christian
Henrik Carl Joachim Alain
Alexander
Erin
Kate
Michael
Madisson
Molly
Sherree
Michelle

plus the grandchildren for Benedikte (close family):
Friedrich Richard Oscar Jefferson
Ingrid Alexandra Irma Astrid Benedikte
Konstantin Gustav Heinrich Richard

So i'm pretty sure, there will be no Alexander (cousin and secondly the exwife of Fred.' brother), no Marie, no Ingrid (by first name), no Nikolai etc., because names are already used in the family.

here the popular names from Danemark: http://www.kindernamen.org/die-beliebtesten-vornamen-in-daenemark.html

It would be nice if Matilda and Banjo could make an appearance in the twins names if they are a boy and girl, as it would be a nice nod to Mary's Australian heritage. (For those that are unfamilair with both names, Matilda refers to the bush ballard or folk song "Waltzing Matilda" written by Banjo Patterson, a famous Aussie poet).

The one name which I'm confident that she won't use is 'Dagmar'. It's a pretty European name but it is has ugly connotations in Australian slang of which Mary would be aware.

Given that the pronunciation is "Dowmar" I fail to see what the ozzie slang "Dag" has to do with it.

:previous:

Because how many people would actually know to pronounce Dagmar as "Dowmar" and not Dagmar as it is written? I know I certainly didn't before I watched the The Royal Family documentary. That would be the problem with Dagmar (they could use Thyra if they wanted to use a historical Danish name - reads much nicer).

I'd say F&M will pick names that they like, throwing us for a loop like Isabella did back in 2007. There are several Charlottes, Sophies and Carolines in the Danish royal family tree, so if one or both of the babies are girls, one of those names could be a contender.

No doubt Christian or Frederik will be in any boys name as a middle name (Henrik Jr is the only boy born in recent years in the main line who doesn't have one of those two somewhere in his name).

I think they will choose a name which is common in Danemark and Australia. Here are my suggestions:

For girl(s):

• Josephine
  • Elizabeth
  • Helena
  • Alexandra
  • Charlotte
For boy(s):

• Michael
  • Alexander
  • Erik
  • Philip
  • Julian
Godparents:

• CP Maxima
  • Princess Marie
  • Princ Daniel
  • (Princess) Tatiana Blatnik
  • One of the Berleburg cousins
  • Carina Axelsson
  • Siblings of CP Mary
My favourites:
2 girls: Josephine Viktoria Mary Alexandrine & Charlotte Louisa Friederike Marie
2 boys: Michael Joachim Knud André & Alexander Georg Frederik Louis
fraternal:
Alexander Georg Frederik Louis & Josephine Viktoria Mary Alexandrine

I think that Maxima will be a godmother to one of the twins

After seeing them very close at the wedding of Victoria and Daniel, i defenetly think that either Maxima or Willem-Alexander will be one of the godparents.

I think they will choose a name which is common in Danemark and Australia. Here are my suggestions:

For girl(s):

• Josephine
  • Elizabeth
  • Helena
  • Alexandra
  • Charlotte
For boy(s):

• Michael
  • Alexander
  • Erik
  • Philip
  • Julian
Godparents:

• CP Maxima
  • Princess Marie
  • Princ Daniel
  • (Princess) Tatiana Blatnik
  • One of the Berleburg cousins
  • Carina Axelsson
  • Siblings of CP Mary
My favourites:
2 girls: Josephine Viktoria Mary Alexandrine & Charlotte Louisa Friederike Marie
2 boys: Michael Joachim Knud André & Alexander Georg Frederik Louis
fraternal:
Alexander Georg Frederik Louis & Josephine Viktoria Mary Alexandrine

Good call on Carina as godmother. She and Mary do seem really close.

Havn't considered names yet however for godparents for the twins I forsee:

Princess Marie
Prince Daniel
Princess Maxima
Prince Willem-Alexander
Carina Axelson
Patricia (Mary's sister)
John (Mary's brother)
A Berleburg or Greek cousin (I think Nikolaus)

Is Marius Hoiby old enough to be a godparent?

Girl(s)

I was going to say that Elisabeth would be a good choice because it's the name of the Queen's cousin and Elizabeth is Mary's middle name but then it occurred to me that Isabella and Elisabeth are actually to forms of the same name. So, no to Elisabeth.

Thyra and Alexandrine are great suggestions. I also like the name Dorothea. Denmark had two queens consort and several princesses named Dorothea. They seem to have named Isabella after the wife of Christian II; perhaps they'll name another daughter after a Danish queen consort.

Boy(s)

I believe Valdemar and Eric are good suggestions.

Female twins: Margarethe & Thyra

Both genders: Dagmar & Waldemar

Male twins: Alexander & Johann

Could I ask why people think Mary and Frederik are going to pick traditional names, like Thrya, Dagmar, Waldermar etc?

I also bet on Margrethe or Ingrid or even Dagmar for girls and Frederik, John or Knud for boys.

Godparents? Princess Marie or Prince Daniel (I wish Princess Letizia as well, but it's very unprobable)

Could I ask why people think Mary and Frederik are going to pick traditional names, like Thrya, Dagmar, Waldermar etc?

Well, because maybe they want to keep the tradition? I particurlary don't like created and different names :ermm:

Well, because maybe they want to keep the tradition? I particurlary don't like created and different names :ermm:

But they broke with tradition with the name Isabella.
IMO they stuck with Christian because they had to, and now for the twins they'll go modern Charlotte, Thomas, John maybe etc.
Names like Thyra, Dagmar, Knud, Waldemar are old.

Is Marius Hoiby old enough to be a godparent?

I don't know. It bugs me so much that I don't know how old you have to be to be a godparent, because then I would totally go for Prince Nikolai, him & Frederik seems so close.

Marius is 13, Nikolai is 10, Felix is 8.

I would say 10 or over would be an acceptable age, Marius would be okay I guess. Some places say 16 or 18.

But they broke with tradition with the name Isabella.
IMO they stuck with Christian because they had to, and now for the twins they'll go modern Charlotte, Thomas, John maybe etc.
Names like Thyra, Dagmar, Knud, Waldemar are old.

That's what I think, too. Christian was sure but Isabella is a very modern name. Don't think they will chose traditional ones, at least not for the first name.
I like Charlotte because it's Danish and English. As a boy's name I'm really into Oscar although I prefer Victoria to chose it if she gets a boy.

Now Charlotte and Oscar are modern yet traditional. Thyra and Knud are old and not modern. IMO.

Well, I don't think that it would be the baby's first name, more like 2nd or 3rd, but if we take Dagmar, to honor Princess Dagmar, the Tsarina of Russia. Idk :p

Because traditions are everything in monarchies. The same names get recycled over and over again. Most, if not all royal names are picked from the royal family tree. Especially names that have deep meaning to a country, such asValdemar and Knud. It's continuity and continuity is very important within a monarchy. Even Isabella, which might sound like a modern, trendy name is actually a very old name many Royal families have used for many generations. Ferdinand and Isabella? And Isabella was a consort to a King Christian in Denmark in either the 1500 or 1600's.

I don't think Fred and Mary will be naming any of their children Knud or Gorm anytime soon, but you never know.

I think Thyra is a beautiful name.

Yeah Isabella is more of a modern name then a traditional one though. Thyra, Knud, Dagmar, Valdemar are old traditional names.
If tradtion is everything, why does Joachim have two boys named Nikolai and Felix?

IMO Tradition and continuity isn't that important in this monarchy, you can see it in the way they are, they are a modern family, and I would expect modern names from the couple. They did the traditional for Christian because they had to.

I will be shocked if they go old school. Ingrid I can understand, Margrethe maybe.

Christian was sure but Isabella is a very modern name. Don't think they will chose traditional ones, at least not for the first name.

Isabella sounds modern to us but it is also very traditional. A 16th century Queen of Denmark, Norway and Sweden was Isabella of Austria, the granddaughter of Isabella I of Castile.

I don't know whether they will choose traditional names but I think they should. Those children will one day be children of the King of Denmark. Their chances of succeeding to the throne of Denmark are not as small as their cousins'.

I agree that Charlotte and Oscar are good names. The babies' ancestors have been named Oscar: King Oscar I and King Oscar II of Sweden

I don't think they had a choice when it came to naming Christian, same as Christian's first son will be called Frederik. Isabella is modern but also has links to their family history so I am counting on something similar for the twins.

Some posters are suggesting Valdemar, John, Ingrid and Margrethe but Christian and Isabella already have these as middle names. Is it likely they will be used again?

There can be a lot of reasons why Frederik & Mary choose the name Isabella. Isabella is another version of the name Elizabeth which is Mary's middle name, there's also been several Queen's named Isabella & P Isabella was born on April 21st which is also Queen Elizabeth's birthday & maybe that is also why they named her that? :p

I think that if they get a daughter, they'll name her either Dagmar or Thyra as 2nd, 3rd or 4th name, the reason why I believe that is that I think that they want the name to be as international as possible, also because Mary is australian.

I believe that choosing anything other than name forms used in Denmark would be a mistake. John would be awful. The babies will one day be children of the King of Denmark. I do not believe that Mary's ancestry should affect choosing their first name. Wouldn't the Danish people be alienated from the royal family if the heir to the throne named his son John instead of Johan or Hans or whatever form is used in Denmark?

I believe that choosing anything other than name forms used in Denmark would be a mistake. John would be awful. The babies will one day be children of the King of Denmark. I do not believe that Mary's ancestry should affect choosing their first name. Wouldn't the Danish people be alienated from the royal family if the heir to the throne named his son John instead of Johan or Hans or whatever form is used in Denmark?

I share entirely your opinion, Kotroman. The names of the twins must be Danish. ;) If not, it's like they are not members of DANISH Royal family. I suppose that Princess Mary and Prince Frederik would not name any of their children with a foreign name.

Vanesa.

Given that the pronunciation is "Dowmar" I fail to see what the ozzie slang "Dag" has to do with it.

Well, if you can't see the tabloid press' alluding to a new princess as 'Princess Daggy.........'

Perhaps the twins' mother can.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom