Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Joachim is a Chrisitan, someone pointed that out to be earlier. But like I said Joachims first name isn't Christian, which is what I believed CharlotteAmalia was suggesting.
If they do give him a middle name as Frederik, i'll be very dissappointed, I don't see why the name has to be used over and over again. It's boring.

I think that most Danish male royals have either Christian or Fredrik as one of their names so that if; (for what ever reason), they become king, they can be know as Christian (insert no. here) or Fredrik (insert no. here) in keeping with the DRF tradition

I'm sorry but seriously? their first son is Christian Valdemar, so lets reuse both those names for their second son? and their first daughter is Isabella Ingrid Henrietta Margarethe, so lets not give the new princess her own identity at all, just rearrange her sister's name? I am sorry but that is a bit ridiculous.

Well my suggestions have as much validity as anyone else's. It may be ridiculous to you but really it doesn't matter in this case, because only the parents of these two beautiful babies will decide what is and what is not ridiculous.

And thank you Tilia C. for clarifying that you did indeed get my humour! I have been reading these boards for a few years now and finally found the courage to post. Not only have I become a fan of this forum, but also of a few posters! Wish the CPC would hurry up already and announce the christening date! lol

I'm hoping for Margrethe for the little girl

I think they will not use Christian as a middle name, because of their other son.

That's likely and yet, I won't take a bet on it!

I take it for granted that they will use a traditional danish name as a middle name. They did so when using Ingrid and Valdemar. So Thyra, Dagmar, Gertrud, Hedwig, Ingeborg, Frederikke, Ulrike, Louise, Mathilde might be used as a middle name.
Maybe it's a clash of cultures and definitions but again, we're not operating with middle names in this case. Danish royals do not have middle names technically speaking they have four first names or 'Christian' names, or even better: they have four names only, because they don't have a surname or 'efternavn' as we say in Danish! The Danish word fornavn corresponds to the German Vorname meaning a name which is 'in front' , efternavn corresponds to the German Nachname.

In Denmark a person can have up to several 'fornavne', e.g. Charlotte Amalia (2), Charlotte Amalia Josefine (3), Charlotte Amalia Josefine Ingrid (4) whereas the hyphenated Charlotte-Amalia is one name! But: contrary to the royals a commoner Charlotte-Amalia also has a surname and she may even have a middle name, which for instance could be the 'maiden' name of her mother.
Anyway, I suppose that different countries have different definitions of what a middle name is :). Maybe I'll rest my case :D

I love the name Feodora, but it is to unusual for a first name. Might be middle name, but i think they will not consider Feodora at all.
IMO you are absolutly right !

IMO TRH will observe Danish royal name traditions, and then again: because of the twins place in the line of succession I won't rule out a more unconventional name and especially an Anglosaxon name as the first first name!
Don't forget that in 1969 the spare was named Prince Joachim, which was very unusual at the time!

Viv

OK,OK OK, maybe some of you don't like my previous post, but I must accidentally have inserted the thumbs down icon at the top! :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Deleted!

Viv

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my suggestions have as much validity as anyone else's. It may be ridiculous to you but really it doesn't matter in this case, because only the parents of these two beautiful babies will decide what is and what is not ridiculous.

And thank you Tilia C. for clarifying that you did indeed get my humour! I have been reading these boards for a few years now and finally found the courage to post. Not only have I become a fan of this forum, but also of a few posters! Wish the CPC would hurry up already and announce the christening date! lol
Humour is often tricky in written language, especially when people of so many cultural and language backgrounds come together as on this forums. But on the other hand the cultural diversity is so interesting and enriching. That's one reason why I like this place so much. And it's always good to have a laugh from time to time.:flowers:

I think that they will choose name #1 because they really like it. And the names should sound good with Prince or Princess in front as well when the names of both twins are said together. Name #2-3 are more likely to come from the family, as a sign of tradition. For these names uniqueness doesn't matter much. They are more a sign of where they come from, what their heritage is.

OK,OK OK, maybe some of you don't like my previous post, but I must accidentally have inserted the thumbs down icon at the top! :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Viv
You should still be able to delete the icon if you go to edit and than to 'advanced'.

Thank you for explaining about first and middle names in Danmark. So the middle name is a bit like a second family name? Is it common for Danes to have the mother's family name as middle name?

Thank you for explaining about first and middle names in Danmark.
You're welcome! !

So the middle name is a bit like a second family name? Is it common for Danes to have the mother's family name as middle name

It was just an example, but it's certainly not unusual!
The thing is that many Danish surnames (or 'family names') are traditionally 'frozen' patronymics like 'Hansen' = son of Hans, 'Jensen' = son of 'Jens'. Many have spiffed up their -sen names with a more unusual middle name from a parent or grand parent. Or you may use a middle name to denote a connection with another branch of the family.

It is now very common to have a middle name even if you have a less common family name! Some even have two middle names these days out of consideration to older family members. I feel sorry for those when they have to sign the dotted lines .....:D

Viv

Last edited:
You're welcome! !

It was just an example, but it's certainly not unusual!
The thing is that many Danish surnames (or 'family names') are traditionally 'frozen' patronymics like 'Hansen' = son of Hans, 'Jensen' = son of 'Jens'. Many have spiffed up their -sen names with a more unusual middle name from a parent or grand parent. Or you may use a middle name to denote a connection with another branch of the family.

It is now very common to have a middle name even if you have a less common family name! Some even have two middle names these days out of consideration to older family members. I feel sorry for those when they have to sign the dotted lines .....:D

Viv
Thank you once again. I started learning Danish and am very curious about Danish culture:flowers:.

Maybe it's a clash of cultures and definitions but again, we're not operating with middle names in this case. Danish royals do not have middle names technically speaking they have four first names or 'Christian' names, or even better: they have four names only, because they don't have a surname or 'efternavn' as we say in Danish! The Danish word fornavn corresponds to the German Vorname meaning a name which is 'in front' , efternavn corresponds to the German Nachname.

In Denmark a person can have up to several 'fornavne', e.g. Charlotte Amalia (2), Charlotte Amalia Josefine (3), Charlotte Amalia Josefine Ingrid (4) whereas the hyphenated Charlotte-Amalia is one name! But: contrary to the royals a commoner Charlotte-Amalia also has a surname and she may even have a middle name, which for instance could be the 'maiden' name of her mother.
Anyway, I suppose that different countries have different definitions of what a middle name is :). Maybe I'll rest my case :D
Thank you for correcting me. It was a faulty translation by me. I was translating the german terms in the wrong english words.
I didn't mean the American way of middle name. When i wrote "middle name" i meant second, third, 4th, 5th first name. I'm sorry for that. In real life i have 3 first names (Vornamen) and one last name (Nachname).

A middle name in the American way, e.g. the mother's maiden name, is just not existing in Germany. (There is an exemption for Russian-Germans born in Germany, they might be called Juri Alexejewitsch Gagarin, then Alexejewitsch is the middle name (Zwischenname or Vatersname).) And because a "middle name" has no meaning to me, i used it for the first names, which are not used on daily basis.
(The reason why i did so, was also the dictionary telling me "middle name" is "zweiter Vorname" ("second first name") LEO Ergebnisse für "middle name" )

Thank you for correcting me. It was a faulty translation by me. I was translating the german terms in the wrong english words.)
Don't worry, we learn from each other on these forums :flowers:! Besides many Danes get it mixed up too, but maybe they'll get used to it now that it's 'written in stone'! And today we have both learned that Germans and Danes have the same definition of what a 'Vorname/fornavn' is! In short: regarding the Danish royals, ..es dreht sich um vier Vornamen!"

Viv

You are right. ;) Thank you!
Did you have German at school or is German your mother tongue?

I had German in school, but I don't speak it often these days. However I
can survive when I'm in Germany or in a German-speaking area:flowers: !

Viv

Girl:
Charlotte Elisabeth Thyra Mary

Boy:
Erik William Frederik Peter

Charlotte - the birth name of Christian V's wife (like Isabella is named for Christian II's wife, Isabella of Austria)
Elisabeth - Mary's middle name and the name of the Queen's cousin
Thyra - name of Frederik's great-great grand aunt and great-grand aunt
Mary - for Princess Mary

Erik - name of Frederik's great-grand uncle, Erik of Sweden
William - a Donaldson family name, as well as one of the names of Joachim's son, Nikolai
Frederik - for Prince Frederik
Peter - a Donaldson family name

William Magnus André Frederik
Mathilde Dagmar Renee Elisabeth/Mary

William Magnus André Frederik
Mathilde Dagmar Renee Elisabeth/Mary

The boy's name is fantastic!
And i love Mathilde and Elisabeth. Dagmar is not my taste, because it is too old fashioned to me (but not old enough to be fashionable again. Reason is that Dagmar was very popular in about 1940/1950 in Germany).

Awwww, thank you. :)

I don't like Dagmar either, but I could imagine it beeing there. ;) Don't really like any of the old danish girl names. :)

Maybe:
Mathilde Renee Mary Ella

I don't like Dagmar either! lol It just doesn't scream 'girl' to me. I hope they name the girl Mathilde and the boy, Erik. When were Christian and Isabella's christenings announced? I'd like to compare...

I don't like Dagmar either! lol It just doesn't scream 'girl' to me. I hope they name the girl Mathilde and the boy, Erik. When were Christian and Isabella's christenings announced? I'd like to compare...

The christening of Prince Christian, which occurred January 21/06, was announced Nov 14, 2005, and for Princess Isabella it took place July 1/07, the announcement was made April 27, 2007.

So, for Christian it was nearly a month after his birth, and for Isabella it was almost a week following her arrival. :flowers:

I don't expect we will hear an announcement of when the christenings are to occur until about mid-February myself. With the CPC adjusting to having twins in their home, and Mary's birthday occuring in just under a couple of weeks I suspect they will wait until the twins are under a decent sleep and feeding schedule before concerning themselves with letting the public know anything.
I do feel that they may be releasing official photos on or about CP Mary's birthday, though.

I wonder if one of the twins will be Prince Daniel's first royal god child?

Last edited:
Back to name speculating...So impatient and bored waiting for details!

Definite contenders:

Boys: Oscar, Archibald, Harald, Olafur, Johan/Johannes, Thomas, Hugo, Marius
Girls: Matilda, Charlotte, Adelaide, Frederikke, Anneke

Definite no-no's:
Boys: Alexander, Michael, Christopher
Girls: Caroline, Alexandra, Catherine, Amber

Maybes:
Charlotte - Casiraghi
Victoria - CP of Sweden
Sophia - Spanish royals
Amelia - Heering's daughter Emilie, too close?
William - Wales
Louise - Reedtz-Thott's Eloise too close, Louise Wessex, etc

Middle names:
Boys: Aage, Vilhelm, Stuart, Frederik, Andre
Girls: Patricia, Jane, Olympia, Dagmar, Thyra, Renee

Hurry up Mary and Fred...Suspense is killing me!

I really think Mary and Frederik will want to avoid any name currently associated with another Royal, such as William or Mathilde.
They have quite a few choices to choose from, so I believe they'll select something unique to their own children.

I really don't think that people should have too high hopes about the boy being named Olafur. It sounds really weird in Danish. Just saying.

Definite no-no's:
Girls: Caroline

Why is that a no-no?

Definite contenders:

Boys: Oscar, Archibald, Harald, Olafur, Johan/Johannes, Thomas, Hugo, Marius
Girls: Matilda, Charlotte, Adelaide, Frederikke, Anneke

Definite no-no's:
Boys: Alexander, Michael, Christopher
Girls: Caroline, Alexandra, Catherine, Amber

Are these definite for you or definite for the CP couple themselves?

I really don't think that people should have too high hopes about the boy being named Olafur. It sounds really weird in Danish. Just saying.

I don't see that happening either, even though CP Frederik is said to like the works of the Icelandic-Danish artist Olafur Eliasson. He made lamps for a stair well in the redecorated Amalienborg residence of Frederik and Mary! Olafur is a typical Icelandic name, the Danish version is Oluf. And IMO that's another no-go!

Viv

For the girl Charlotte or Helene/Helena would be nice. I also like Josephine, Cecilie, Emilie and Louise. Maybe Margrethe, Emma, Ingrid, Sophie, Mathilde, Caroline, Thyra but for a couple of those names there are already people close to them that are called that.
For the boy I like Erik, Johann, Carl, Axel, Oscar and Knut.

I don't see that happening either, even though CP Frederik is said to like the works of the Icelandic-Danish artist Olafur Eliasson. He made lamps for a stair well in the redecorated Amalienborg residence of Frederik and Mary! Olafur is a typical Icelandic name, the Danish version is Oluf. And IMO that's another no-go!

Viv

I didn't knew about that artist, but I still don't think it'll be an Olafur. I can just imagine him being nicknamed 'Prins Ole/Olle'. Lol.

What about Marina for the girl?
Kinda sweet because Frederik loves to sail :)

I just have this feeling that no matter how many names I decide I like the CP couple are still gonna surprise me!

I just have this feeling that no matter how many names I decide I like the CP couple are still gonna surprise me!

Exactly my sentiments!...surprise me and perhaps disappoint me...But hey, they aren't my kids to name, they have limitations as to what they can use and think they are conservative namers anyway...So matter how much I flog Xenia and Olafur, I know they are probably thinking more along the lines of Sophie and Thomas...Oh well!

Exactly my sentiments!...surprise me and perhaps disappoint me...But hey, they aren't my kids to name, they have limitations as to what they can use and think they are conservative namers anyway...So matter how much I flog Xenia and Olafur, I know they are probably thinking more along the lines of Sophie and Thomas...Oh well!

LOL! Well, I prefer conservative names because they stand the test of time.
The children are in the direct line to the throne, so I think it's a good thing if their parents decide to stay with tradition and use royal names (but I hope they don't choose one already in use by a current royal).

That was my point, Mirabel...I hope as you say they 'stay with tradition and use royal names'....but just not boring ones, why use Sophie, Amelia, Alexander and Peter when they could go with Adelaide, Xenia, Oscar and Harald...Also traditional, royal names used in the past, just not boring ones! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom