Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see any point in giving the twins names that Christian and Isabella already have !

Nei
I can't see any point in giving the twins names that Christian and Isabella already have !
Neither can I :flowers:

I am convinced that the CPC will find new unused (in their little family) names for the twins :)

Ok so not Olivia then...Sticking with original suggestions (in order of probability):

Boys: Oscar, Olafur, Harald, Archibald, Marius, Johan, Jorgen, William, Wilhelm, Thomas, Elvis ;)
(middle names: Frederik, Aage, Vilhelm, Henrik, Holger, Stuart)

Girls: Matilda, Adelaide, Frederikke, Victoria, Anneke, Annika, Charlotte, Xenia, Sophia, Amelia, Dorothea
(middle names: Dagmar, Thyra, Ingeborg, Thorhildur, Patricia, Jane, Olympia, Benedikte)

Hurry up and announce the date so I can start another countdown :)

Ok so not Olivia then...Sticking with original suggestions (in order of probability):

Boys: Oscar, Olafur, Harald, Archibald, Marius, Johan, Jorgen, William, Wilhelm, Thomas, Elvis ;)
(middle names: Frederik, Aage, Vilhelm, Henrik, Holger, Stuart)

Girls: Matilda, Adelaide, Frederikke, Victoria, Anneke, Annika, Charlotte, Xenia, Sophia, Amelia, Dorothea
(middle names: Dagmar, Thyra, Ingeborg, Thorhildur, Patricia, Jane, Olympia, Benedikte)

Hurry up and announce the date so I can start another countdown :)
Olivia could be one of the names :flowers: Don´t rule it out :)

I thought they looked at past Danish Monarchs and their families when it came to nameing the kids.

Last edited:
I still stick with TRISTAN and MATHILDA or MAGDALENA. I don't know why. Somehow I have this feeling.

But nevertheless, why do you all think a name is out of discussion if it is already used in another royal family? I can see the difficulties with the middle names of Christian and Isabella, but why those others?

Alexandrine: Countess Alexandra, ex-wife of Joachim, Ingrid Alexandra of Norway, Alexia (Netherlands), Willem-Alexander (Netherlands), Alexandra (of Hannover), Alexander (nephew of Mary).

- Why not another version (Alexandrine or Alexa) of this name if there are so many already? The only argument is Joachims Ex-Wife, but since they still do have a good relationship with her, it's only half an argument IMO.

Louise/Luise: Louise of Belgium (daughter of Laurent), Lady Louise Windsor (daughter of The Earl of Wessex)

- Same here. Why not a Louise of Denmark too? Or a Louisa of Denmark? Because then the name is at least slightly different.

Sophie: Sofia of Spain (the Queen and the Infanta). Sophie (Countess of Wessex), And maybe, just maybe, someday there could be a Sofia of Sweden to (if Carl Philip sticks to his current girlfriend)

- So again, why not a Sof/phie or Sof/phia of Denmark too?

Marie/Maria: Marie of Denmark (sister-in-law) and Mary herself

- OK, this one I can completely understand. Or they choose Maria just because there are the other two already. Then I could totally see it as the DRFs privat little joke.

Mathilde: Mathilde of Belgium

- The aformentioned could be the godmother. Wouldn't that be nice?

Magdalene: Madeleine of Sweden

- See above.

Anne/a: Anne, Princess Royal

- Anna would be nice, because that's not exactly the same name. Or why not Annabelle? Then there would be a little connection between the two sisters.

Christina/Christine: Christina of Sweden, Cristina of Spain

- Again, why not a third one with this name. There isn't (like it is with all the name versions below) a little royal girl around with this name. It's about time again.

Eleanor/Eleonora: Leonore (Oranien-Nassau), Infanta Leonor, Eleonore of Belgium

- (just needed for my argument above)

Helena: Elena of Spain, Sophie Helen of Wessex

- just see my Christina argument

Elisabeth: Elizabeth II., Elisabeth of Belgium, Mary's middle name and a form of Isabella

- Honestly, why not? This is an old, traditional royal name and I don't see Isabellas name as a problem, because it may be a version of Elisabeth but it's not the same name. It's not even similar written or pronounced, so honestly, why would this name be a problem? And also, why not just a short-form like Elisa/Eliza?

OK, that's just my opinion to all the names. Because I think just because they're used in royal families doesn't mean they're forbidden if F&M really like them.

As for the little prince, what would speak against Andreas (version of one of Freds middle names (André), Holger (one of Joachims = princes uncles middle names) or Johannes (version of Henriks = princes grandpas middle name)? Just something to think about.

Mathilde: Mathilde of Belgium

- The aformentioned could be the godmother. Wouldn't that be nice?
But she is already godmother to Princess Isabella. And with all the family and friends around, I can´t see them reusing the godparents :flowers:

I hope that they will ask one of the cousins from Berleburg, they are not godparents to neither Prince Christian nor Princess Isabella.

But she is already godmother to Princess Isabella. And with all the family and friends around, I can´t see them reusing the godparents :flowers:

Ah! OK, I didn't know that (and was to lazy to look it up at the same time :whistling: )

My choices for names: Prince Dominic and Princess Catherine

The girl's first name will, imo, be something like Louise, Sophie, Amalie, Ida, Laura, Clara, Julia, Victoria, Josephine or Cathrine.

I'm pretty sure that the middlenames will be names like Alexandrine, Dagmar, Louise, old danish queen names, or Elizabeth, and then of course the name of the mother - Mary.

I think the boy will be called one of the following names: Philip, Carl, William, Oscar, Victor, Lucas, Adam, Albert, Daniel, Benjamin, Noah, Oliver.

As middlenames he will surely be called Frederik after his father, and old royal names like Eric, Axel, Alexander, Philip, Carl and William.

My dream-scenario's would be: Louise Dagmar Mary Alexandrine and Philip Eric Axel Frederik

GODPARENTS:

for the boy
Princess Marie
Patricia Donaldson Bailey
Gustav of Berleburg
Holger Foss
Birgitte Handwerk

for the girl
John Donaldson
Alexandra of Berleburg
Amber Petty
Helle Redtz-Thott
Jørgen Skeel
;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I still stick with TRISTAN and MATHILDA or MAGDALENA. I don't know why. Somehow I have this feeling.
[/SIZE]
I dont think Tristan and Christian. To similiar but LOVE Mathilda and Magdalena

I've gone through the thread up until the twins were born (this post), and tallied up the most common/mentioned names. Names which were mentioned 25 times or more are lised below, variations were combined:

Boys
John/Johan/Hans/Johann/Johannes - 43
Alexander/Alexei - 37
William/Vilhelm/Wilhelm - 34
Carl/Charles - 32
Eric/Erik - 32
Andre/Anders/Andreas - 28
Axel/Aksel - 27

Girls
Charlotte - 48
Mathilda/Mathilde/Matilda - 47
Louise/Lovisa/Luise/Louisa - 43
Sophie/Sophia/Sofie/Sofia - 41
Mary/Marie/Maria - 39
Dagmar - 37
Caroline/Carolina/Carola - 33
Alexandra/Alexandrine/Alexandrina - 32
Margrethe/Margaret/Margaretha/Margarita - 31
Victoria/Viktoria/Victoire - 30
Amalie/Amalia/Amelia/Amelie - 27
Elisabeth/Elizabeth - 25

--

My opinions on the 'most common/favoured names':
Boys
John/Johan/Hans/Johann/Johannes - Unlikely as a first name, as 'John' is already one of Christian's middle names, if it is used it will be in a Danish variant.
Alexander/Alexei - Slim to none chances of being used as a first name, as Mary's nephew is called Alexander.
William/Vilhelm/Wilhelm - I really like the name William, if used it will probably be in the English variation 'William' as it is the more popular variant used in Denmark and more 'international' then the other two.
Carl/Charles - This could be used as a middle name, I doubt it would be used as a first name as it seems much 'older' than the names Christian and Isabella.
Eric/Erik - I prefer 'Erik' over 'Eric', but I could see either variant being used as a first name, as neither would be viewed as 'odd' in an international sense.
Andre/Anders/Andreas - I'd say there is a chance 'Andre' could be used as a middle name (Frederik has it as one of his, after his paternal grandfather), in the French variant.
Axel/Aksel - Very Scandinavian and I like it, would be spelt 'Axel' though (not 100% sure 'Aksel' is a used spelling?), could be used as either first or middle name.

Girls
Charlotte - I had hoped Isabella would be a 'Charlotte', so I will transfer those hopes over to LillePigen; it is both Danish and international, the only issue might be if Frederik and Mary do not want to double-up on first name initials (Christian and Charlotte).
Mathilda/Mathilde/Matilda - Honestly, I hate the name Matilda, cannot stand it with or without the 'h', so if they use a variant, I hope it is the Danish 'Mathilde', has a higher chance of being used, I'd say more as a middle name.
Louise/Lovisa/Luise/Louisa - 'Louise' or 'Louisa' have a higher chance of being used than the middle two variants, I'd say 'Louise' more so than 'Louisa' looking at it from an international view.
Sophie/Sophia/Sofie/Sofia - Would love for LillePigen to be a 'Sophie', it seems like a name that Mary would like and goes well with Christian and Isabella, is also both Danish and international.
Mary/Marie/Maria - If anything, 'Mary' will be a middle name, definately not a first; 'Marie' or 'Maria' would be hard-pressed to find themselves in there.
Dagmar - Likely middle name material, I don't think it will be used as a first name because it is more Danish than 'international', pretty much guaranteed to cause nicknames like 'Princess Daggy' in the Australian media (something I'm sure Mary would be aware of).
Caroline/Carolina/Carola - 'Caroline' would be the most likely out of these variants, not sure it would have a high chance of being used though (unless Caroline Heering will be godmother and LillePigen will get 'Caroline' as a middle name).
Alexandra/Alexandrine/Alexandrina - 'Alexandrine' or 'Alexandrina' would be my two picks out of these, 'Alexandra' is too close to Mary's nephew Alexander.
Margrethe/Margaret/Margaretha/Margarita - See John, although with this name, even a variant won't be used.
Victoria/Viktoria/Victoire - Doubt it will be used.
Amalie/Amalia/Amelia/Amelie - 'Amelia' and 'Amelie' are my favourites of the variants, I'd say the two most likely candidates out of the variants to be used as a first/middle name.
Elisabeth/Elizabeth - Only likely as a middle name, after Mary/Mary's grandmother.

I'm hoping for Matilda, or one of its variants, which is so quintessentially Australian, at least in song. I'd be very surprised if Dagmar were used because it would be so easily mocked in Australia. As JezzRulz says, Mary would be quite aware of this. I love Axel, too.

On the other hand, I remember how Mary and Frederik surprised nearly everyone with 'Isabella'. Perhaps we should prepare ourselves for something completely unexpected.:)

My opinions on the 'most common/favoured names':
Boys
John/Johan/Hans/Johann/Johannes - Unlikely as a first name, as 'John' is already one of Christian's middle names, if it is used it will be in a Danish variant.
Alexander/Alexei - Slim to none chances of being used as a first name, as Mary's nephew is called Alexander.
William/Vilhelm/Wilhelm - I really like the name William, if used it will probably be in the English variation 'William' as it is the more popular variant used in Denmark and more 'international' then the other two.
Carl/Charles - This could be used as a middle name, I doubt it would be used as a first name as it seems much 'older' than the names Christian and Isabella.
Eric/Erik - I prefer 'Erik' over 'Eric', but I could see either variant being used as a first name, as neither would be viewed as 'odd' in an international sense.
Andre/Anders/Andreas - I'd say there is a chance 'Andre' could be used as a middle name (Frederik has it as one of his, after his paternal grandfather), in the French variant.
Axel/Aksel - Very Scandinavian and I like it, would be spelt 'Axel' though (not 100% sure 'Aksel' is a used spelling?), could be used as either first or middle name.

Girls
Charlotte - I had hoped Isabella would be a 'Charlotte', so I will transfer those hopes over to LillePigen; it is both Danish and international, the only issue might be if Frederik and Mary do not want to double-up on first name initials (Christian and Charlotte).
Mathilda/Mathilde/Matilda - Honestly, I hate the name Matilda, cannot stand it with or without the 'h', so if they use a variant, I hope it is the Danish 'Mathilde', has a higher chance of being used, I'd say more as a middle name.
Louise/Lovisa/Luise/Louisa - 'Louise' or 'Louisa' have a higher chance of being used than the middle two variants, I'd say 'Louise' more so than 'Louisa' looking at it from an international view.
Sophie/Sophia/Sofie/Sofia - Would love for LillePigen to be a 'Sophie', it seems like a name that Mary would like and goes well with Christian and Isabella, is also both Danish and international.
Mary/Marie/Maria - If anything, 'Mary' will be a middle name, definately not a first; 'Marie' or 'Maria' would be hard-pressed to find themselves in there.
Dagmar - Likely middle name material, I don't think it will be used as a first name because it is more Danish than 'international', pretty much guaranteed to cause nicknames like 'Princess Daggy' in the Australian media (something I'm sure Mary would be aware of).
Caroline/Carolina/Carola - 'Caroline' would be the most likely out of these variants, not sure it would have a high chance of being used though (unless Caroline Heering will be godmother and LillePigen will get 'Caroline' as a middle name).
Alexandra/Alexandrine/Alexandrina - 'Alexandrine' or 'Alexandrina' would be my two picks out of these, 'Alexandra' is too close to Mary's nephew Alexander.
Margrethe/Margaret/Margaretha/Margarita - See John, although with this name, even a variant won't be used.
Victoria/Viktoria/Victoire - Doubt it will be used.
Amalie/Amalia/Amelia/Amelie - 'Amelia' and 'Amelie' are my favourites of the variants, I'd say the two most likely candidates out of the variants to be used as a first/middle name.
Elisabeth/Elizabeth - Only likely as a middle name, after Mary/Mary's grandmother.

Love your analysis! I totally agree on most of your comments except for on the name "Carl" being "old".. Actually it's in the top 20 of most used baby boy names in DK, so it appears to be quite trendy in Denmark, AND it's a royal name.. Plus, I still think Victoria could be used..

I like the way you wrote out a name analysis - very interesting to read! One thing though - Alexei and Alexander are actually two different names, although they're very close, as are their meanings - Alexander means 'defending men' while Alexei simply means 'to defend/to help'. I don't see Alexei being used either, since it's almost strictly a Russian name.

I like the name Mathilde (but it was my great-grandmother's name so I admit, I'm a bit bias) and I agree with you on Sophie, Charlotte and Elisabeth. I don't really know that I'd like her to be a Sophie so much as a Charlotte though, since Sofia of Spain already has the name. lol Amelie would be interesting to see too.

I personally despise the name Carl, its just so "creepy old man next door". I'm liking the list Jess, I'm now thinking Axel Frederick Oscar Alexander and Ingrid Elizabeth Dagmar Loivse.

Christian Valdemar Henri John

Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe

* Alexander Frederik Axel Erik

* Mat(h)ilda Thyra Mary Lovisa

They may choose names that they like this time as opposed to ones from the Royal family, as Maxima and Willem did for their third daughter Ariane.

Something elegant or classic but not necessarily in the family tree, they will maybe use the family names for the other names.

As I don't ever get this right anyway :), here are a few suggestions:

Girls: (from the family tree) Kirsten, Charlotte, Juliana (or variants), Philippa
Others: Amelia, Olivia, Stephanie, Emma/Emily, Victoria

Boys: Gabriel, Oliver, Theodore, Nicholas, Sebastian, Dominc

I am hoping for a Princess Sophie/Sophia, but I kind of doubt it will happen, due to Infanta Sofia of Spain. Personally, I believe Frederik & Mary will choose first names they truly like. I'm sure they will take a look DRF tree for potential names, as they say they did when choosing Isabella's name, but I hope they choose names they love. As for the little prince, I can't really think of a name that I'd love for them to give him. At least they (& I ;)) have about 3 months to decide.

Another good reason for them to use Oscar...nickname: Ossie (Aussie)...Ossie and Matilda would be cool :)

I hope they don't give the poor little boy a name like Oscar!

But many of the other choices are nice.
I think they should use Danish names that also are international.

Christian Valdemar Henri John

Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe

Oscar (or Axel) Peter Andre Friedrick

Juliana (or Mathilde) Renee Elizabeth Mary

Isabella's middle names are her two grandmothers, and one great grandmother, and Christian is named for his grandfathers (Henri for Henrik and John)

Juliana: royal name, for much Dutch, but families are so linked
Elizabeth: Mary's maternal grandmother so princess' great grandmother
Renee: Friedrick's patneral grandmother so princess' great grandmother
Mary: Both for Princess Mary and Mary's paternal grandmother

Oscar: old royal name as is Axel
Peter: Mary's paternal grandfather, prince's great grandfather
Andre: Friedrick's paternal grandfather (and middle name)
Friedrick: for the crown prince, as well as crown prince's maternal grandfather

Girl:
Thyra Mathilde Patricia Mary

Boy:
Georg William Frederik Peter

Godparents:
Prince Joachim
Prince Gustav (Frederik's cousin)
Amber Petty
Prince Nikolaos of Greece
Prince Daniel of Sweden
a couple more family friends