Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me still name the following: Roberta, Gunther and Hathumod.
To tell you the truth, they come all out of a roman catholic calendar.

Princess Roberta? I don't think so.

Seeing as neither Frederik nor Mary are Catholic, I cannot see them consulting a Roman Catholic calendar for baby names.

Prince or Princess Toto?! :lol:

I've always thought was just the dog for the Wizard of Oz not an actual name.

It would be a real bridge to the immigrant community if one of the twins had a third name that's foreign - Noor is a gorgeous name for example....

Noor
Hassan
Rania

Siobhan
Will

Shona
Onkonkwe

I thnk they will go for names that stand for something in thier family.... Isn't she just abou ready to pop anyway?

This weekend Crownprincess Mary was in Scotland.
I thought and heard that the birth is expected for December 31st, but I would not travel to Scotland being pregnant with a December 31st delivery

Thanks Strenchen, I was also sure that it was the falcon and not the Crown Princess. Strange how stories get started.

Last edited:
OK I see.
Did only see Mary and Scotland and thought what the hell does she do when she will give birth on December 31st

Is it confirmed she will give birth on new years eve?

I've been doing some additional thinking about the names. Since Joachim and Marie named their little boy Henrik after his grandfather -- that name is out of the pool of possibilities.

I'm thinking of Johan (the Danish equivalent of John in honor of John Donaldson) or Andre (or whatever the Danish equivalent of that is in honor of Prince Henrik's father and it's Frederik's second name).

As for a girl ... I wouldn't be surprised by a Margarethe.

Johan Andre Frederik?
Margrethe Ingrid Mary?

One of Christians names is John (Christian Valdemar Henri John) :) And one of Isabellas names is Margrethe (Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe) :) I doubt that they would give two of their children the same name ;)

What do you think about these names?
Adam, Ariel, Raphael, Oriphiel, Tahariel, Leilah, Michael, Franz, Sabrael ?????

One of Christians names is John (Christian Valdemar Henri John) :) And one of Isabellas names is Margrethe (Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe) :) I doubt that they would give two of their children the same name ;)

I originally shared that thinking, Sternchen. However, I think it may be a bit daunting to come up with a total of 8 names that haven't been used before. 'Just sayin':ermm:

There are still names like Holger or Joachim for a boy, or Alexandrine, Dagmar, Benedikte, Astrid, Ingeborg,Caroline-Mathilde, Helena, Olga, Thyra, Feodora for a girl :)
And those names are all from the last two generations only :)

Last edited:
The name of Rita is not usual as a royal name, isn´t it? And Leo? And Waltraud?

Wht about Anne-Marie, it is Fredericks aunts name I know but its a nice name

Just some comments about names mentioned in the last few posts...

Johan - I think it is possible, despite John already being used for Christian, it is only one of his middle names and the last one at that, and John and Johan are pronounced differently (john and yo-hahn)

Holger - won't be used, the Reedtz-Thott's have a son named this and although it is one of Joachim's middle name (so obviously a family name) they won't reuse a name of somebody they already know...

Alexander/Alexandrine - possible middle name, but not really first name material, Mary has a nephew, Alexander Stephens (Jane's son) and Alexandra (Joachim's ex-wife)...might be awkward!

Rita - maybe, but only as a nickname if they call their girl Margarita...which I doubt they will do, bit too Iberian for Danish tastes... ;)

Anne-Marie - I don't think they will use this because of the 'Marie' factor...I have suggested 'Anneke' in previous posts as a nod to Anne-Marie, it sort of combines Anne/Frederik/Benedikte without the ambiguity of using Marie, does it honour Marie (Cavallier) or Mary (the Crown Princess)?...I like the idea of Princess Anneke :)

I am still backing something unusual, never been used before but still acceptable for 3rd/4th in line (Olafur, Anneke) or popular names in the real world but also having royal origins (Matilda, Charlotte, Amelia, Sophia, Oscar)...they probably won't use Sophia - although I think this is very Mary's taste - because of Queen Sofia and little Princess Sofia of Spain...a third Sophia (Sofia) might be overkill and unoriginal...

Last edited:
Just some comments about names mentioned in the last few posts...

Johan - I think it is possible, despite John already being used for Christian, it is only one of his middle names and the last one at that, and John and Johan are pronounced differently (john and yo-hahn)

Holger - won't be used, the Reedtz-Thott's have a son named this and although it is one of Joachim's middle name (so obviously a family name) they won't reuse a name of somebody they already know...

Alexander/Alexandrine - possible middle name, but not really first name material, Mary has a nephew, Alexander Stephens (Jane's son) and Alexandra (Joachim's ex-wife)...might be awkward!

Rita - maybe, but only as a nickname if they call their girl Margarita...which I doubt they will do, bit too Iberian for Danish tastes... ;)

So what if they choose names that others have, it my mean something t them. I can think of several familes that have used the same name in most of thier kids, two that I can think of is The British royal family and Astrid of Beligum. It might be the first name but its in the middle names. In my family Elizabeth has been used fo the last 6 or more generations, let alone being used as a middle name.

Mary and Fred will choose names that suit thier little family and consult the Queen on the names. They may be names nobody expected them to usd but they are using them, we might like them or we might not but we'll just have to get use to the names. (I said that t my family and friends when I named my first child)

Me personally, I think Sophie will be in there somewhere

Concerning nicknames, I sometimes heard, that nicknames take a lot of energey off from a person, when the full name is not pronounced, do you not also think so??

By the way, how do you find Gerwald, Folkart, Emming???

Actually it's not so uncommon in DRF. Joachim's youngest is Henrik and one of Felix's names is Henrik. Both Frederik & Joachim share the name Christian. All Margarethe, Benedikte & Anne-Marie share the name Ingrid.

Concerning nicknames, I sometimes heard, that nicknames take a lot of energey off from a person, when the full name is not pronounced, do you not also think so??

I dont think those names are allowed in Denmark. Still I think they will go for names that are easily pronounced in danish

What do you think about these names?
Adam, Ariel, Raphael, Oriphiel, Tahariel, Leilah, Michael, Franz, Sabrael ?????

The names you suggested all seem way too old fashioned to be considered.

I dont think those names are allowed in Denmark. Still I think they will go for names that are easily pronounced in danish

Why are they not allowed?

I cannot wait to hear the names of the twins however I have been trawling Wikipedia and have come up with quite a list of names I like:

Danish Royal Family
Boys: Benedict, Magnus, Eric, Abel, Otto,
George, Niels, Axel, Viggo, Olaf/ur or Michael​

Girls: Helen, Sophie, Matilda, Katherina, Anna, Augusta,
Elisabeth, Amalia, Charlotte, Louise/a, Frederika or Astrid​

Prince Henrik's family
Boys: Andre or Alfred
Girls: Emilie (similar to Amalie) or Clara

CP Mary's family
Boys: Peter, Andrew, Thomas or William
Girls: Annie (similar to Anna) or Catherine (similar to Katherina)

Possible family names that would be used as middle names coud be Joachim, Frederik/a, Mary, Andre​

Princess Amalie would be nice as it is a family name on Margrethe's side and is similar to an Emilie on Prince Henrik's side and it is also modern. Princess Katherina would be nice as again it is on the royal side and very similar to a name on Mary's side. For the same reasons they might choose Anna.​

Last edited:
Why are they not allowed?

In Denmark there is a list of pre-approved names for parents to select when naming thier children, they can also request permission for usage of a name if it does not appear on the list. This can certainly save children from the embarrassment of being named after something totally ridiculous as so many children here are today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom