Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Why is Caroline a no-no?

Old 08-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Why is Caroline a no-no?
IMO, I don't think that it'll be a Caroline because of Caroline Heering & Caroline Fleming.

To call a boy Olafur in Denmark would be the same as calling a girl Dagmar or Thyra. Kinda old-ish, but still, it's actually kinda fashionable in the moment.

IMO, I don't think that a girl would be named Olympia because of Maria Olympia, the daughter of CP Pavlos & Marie-Chantal.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
To call a boy Olafur in Denmark would be the same as calling a girl Dagmar or Thyra. Kinda old-ish, but still, it's actually kinda fashionable in the moment.
Really? Seems to be different in Denmark than in Germany. In Germany Dagmar, Harald and Olaf are also oldfashioned. But they would be considered "not old enough". These are names of the generations, born between 1930 and 1955. They are still "worn out", because people would think of their narrow-minded aunt with permanent wave and the 60-years-old guy next door, who mows the lawn in an undershirt....

(I have no idea about Thyra or Olafur, as they are not used over here. To me they sound pretty awkward and hard ).

Old-fashioned but fashionable are names used earlier (before about 1920) like Emma, Ella, Louise/a, Marie, Hannah, Paula, Charlotte, Pauline, Justus, Anton, Johannes...
Old 08-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAmalia View Post
Really? Seems to be different in Denmark than in Germany. In Germany Dagmar, Harald and Olaf are also oldfashioned. But they would be considered "not old enough". These are names of the generations, born between 1930 and 1955. They are still "worn out", because people would think of their narrow-minded aunt with permanent wave and the 60-years-old guy next door, who mows the lawn in an undershirt....

(I have no idea about Thyra or Olafur, as they are not used over here. To me they sound pretty awkward and hard ).

Old-fashioned but fashionable are names used earlier (before about 1920) like Emma, Ella, Louise/a, Marie, Hannah, Paula, Charlotte, Pauline, Justus, Anton, Johannes...
Haha
Well, Olafur really isn't that popular here, that's also why I don't think that people should have so high hopes for that name (btw, it sounds very Icelandic to me, idk why).
But Dagmar, Thyra, Magda, Regitze, Anton, Elliot etc. are extremely popular, in my sisters school-class every single child is named with an old-fashioned name, it's crazy. Lol.

Old-fashioned names are popular, but I think that Mary & Frederik will choose a more international name. Like Isabella. Popular in both Denmark & I don't really know if it's popular in other countries, but I can imagine it is.
But I do believe that the children will get at least one old-fashioned middle name.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
IMO, I don't think that it'll be a Caroline because of Caroline Heering & Caroline Fleming.
And?
Why not name the child after either of them, especially Caroline Heering.

Same goes for the name Alexandra or version of the name, just because she has a nephew called that and a ex sister-in-law shouldn't matter.
There were never any bad feelings between Mary and Alexandra after the divorce, same goes now I think for Alex and Joachim so if they like the name they should go for it.
As for calling a boy Alexander, I'm sure relatives will be able to differentiate from Prince Alexander and Alexander etc.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
And?
Why not name the child after either of them, especially Caroline Heering.

Same goes for the name Alexandra or version of the name, just because she has a nephew called that and a ex sister-in-law shouldn't matter.
There were never any bad feelings between Mary and Alexandra after the divorce, same goes now I think for Alex and Joachim so if they like the name they should go for it.
As for calling a boy Alexander, I'm sure relatives will be able to differentiate from Prince Alexander and Alexander etc.
Idk. Just my opinion.

I'm almost 100% sure that a girl wouldn't be called Alexandra, that would be defined as "innapropriate", BS in my opinion but yeah.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Aristocracy

It would be lovely to have some names from Australia somewhere in there!
Matilda -(Aussie's love to own this once traditional English name)
Victoria -(Mary lived in Victoria for awhile)
Adelaide -(Mary's best friend Amber lives there ... Mary is there now celebrating Amber's 40th B'Day, Happy Birthday Amber)

with both Mary's Sister names as well

Patricia
Jane

Godparents - Her sister Patricia
(Jane is already a Godparent to HRH Prince Christian)
Mary's Brother
Princess Marie of Denmark
and maybe Prince Edward & Sophie Wessex, they are often photographed together at Royal events, and are the Royal Family of Australia as well as England.

I think its lovely that so many people are interested, and can't wait to hear the names chosen.

This wonderful news has put Mary back on the covers of Magazine's which is nice!

xoxos
Old 08-22-2010, 03:49 AM
Commoner

Twin boys- Luis Hans and Nikolaos Ferdinand

Twin Girls- Louise Antoine and Renee Therese

RIP
Old 08-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisXVI View Post
Twin boys- Luis Hans and Nikolaos Ferdinand
Twin Girls- Louise Antoine and Renee Therese
Definitely not Nikolaos... when there is a royal cousin named Nikolai.

In Europe, is it popular to give twins names which begin with the same letter, e.g., Henrietta and Holger? This is often done in the US.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
In Europe, is it popular to give twins names which begin with the same letter, e.g., Henrietta and Holger? This is often done in the US.
I'm sure there are a few families with same letter twins. I personally know a few twins or triples, but none of them has same letter names.
But i know a few other brothers and sisters with the same letter: e.g. Lars and Lena, Anja and Annabelle, Anja and Annika, Jonah and Julia....
With two kids it is still kind of cute, but with three or four it remindes me to dog breeding.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

My suggestions:

Girl: Charlotte Louise Mary Astrid
Godparents: Princess Madeleine of Sweden, Prince Nikolaos of Greece and Denmark, John Donaldson (her brother)

Boy: Albert Gustav Frederik Carl
Godparents: Princess Marie of Denmark, Patricia Bailey (her sister), Prince Gustav of Sayn Wittgenstein-Berleburg
Old 08-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:

Well the only twins I know of at the moment,
Princess Claire and Prince Laurent's two boys are called Aymeric and Nicholas.
The Duke and Duchess of Anjou also have twin boys called Luis and Alfonso.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Courtier

Princess Christina of the Netherlands (sister of Queen Beatrix) have twins: Margarita and Jaime.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Definitely not Nikolaos... when there is a royal cousin named Nikolai.
Doesn't mean a thing. Alot of people have the same names and it doesn't mean they are copies or any less of a person. Whatever they decide I'm sure it will be grand.

RIP
Old 08-23-2010, 12:43 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanvanmaxima View Post
Princess Christina of the Netherlands (sister of Queen Beatrix) have twins: Margarita and Jaime.
It is not Christina, but Princess Irene.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Royal Highness

For girls first name maybe:

Anna, Emma, Mathilde or Clara

Middle names:

Dagmar, Thyra, Sophie, Louisa/Lovisa, Amalie, Victoria or Caroline
Susan might be a long shot but i think it would be a nice nod to Mary's stepmother

For boys first name:

Lucas, Magnus, Sebastian or Jacob

Middle names:

Frederik, Haakon (historic and a friend), Carl, Andree
Old 08-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisXVI View Post
Doesn't mean a thing. Alot of people have the same names and it doesn't mean they are copies or any less of a person. Whatever they decide I'm sure it will be grand.
True. Princess Astrid of Belgium's lille girl's name is Luisa and Prince Laurent's daughter is Louise. It's the same name. I'm still sure they'll pick something different.

Girls :
Sophie Charlotte Alexandrine Renée
Caroline Mathilde Alexandrine Renée
Louise Helene Alexandrine Renée

Boys :
William Erik Knud André
Carl Axel Knud André
George Philip Knud André
Old 08-24-2010, 09:24 PM

Hi Everyone

New Poster here. Hope you all are well
Here are my names for the twins. These are actually my names for my future twins I hope to have in about 7 years (laughs)...But I'm giving Mary and Fred permission to copy me... I've mixed Danish and Gaelic names to represent both of the parents. French heritage is represented by Olivier.

Julia Catharine Caroline Cassandra
Scarlett Daniella Olivia Aileen

Johann Erik Magnussen Skagen
Kieran Aiden Soren Olivier

Other godparent suggestions:
Marie-Chantal and Pavlos
Tati and Nik
Princess Madeleine (as suggested earlier)

Oh, this is fun. Here are a few more:

O'Hara Amanda Patricia Aimee (Aimee MUST have the accente)
Lauren-Celine Phillipa Claire

Frederik Kristofer Iver Adair
Marc-Laurent Birkholm Valentin
Old 08-25-2010, 04:19 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

O'hara? as a first name?
Old 08-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
Susan might be a long shot but i think it would be a nice nod to Mary's stepmother
Is there a Danish/Scandinavian form of Susan???