Mary is Pregnant

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lots of babies coming into this world this year!!!

Does anyone know if she has had a "baby shower" yet?Is it even exceptable in the royal family?:confused: :)

polop said:
Does anyone know if she has had a "baby shower" yet?Is it even exceptable in the royal family?:confused: :)
I would say baby showers is a very US thing to have, at least I have never heard of them here in Sweden or other countries in Europe where I have friends. Do they have these in Australia? Maybe that could then be a reason to have one, but not otherwise. At least this is my thoughts on this topic.

GrandDuchess said:
I would say baby showers is a very US thing to have, at least I have never heard of them here in Sweden or other countries in Europe where I have friends. Do they have these in Australia? Maybe that could then be a reason to have one, but not otherwise. At least this is my thoughts on this topic.

Yes we have baby showers in Australia, but it is optional, its not a set tradition, alot of Aussie families do it, and some dont. :)

Australian said:
Yes we have baby showers in Australia, but it is optional, its not a set tradition, alot of Aussie families do it, and some dont. :)

What's a baby shower?I'm sorry but my English is not so good...Thanks a lot

A baby shower is a party held for the mom-to-be before the baby is born. Basically, the mother chooses gifts (a stroller, bottles, clothes, etc.) at various stores that she'd like and guests buy the items. Then they bring them to the shower and the mother has everything she'll need for her child. It's just like a bridal shower before a wedding if you're familiar with that.

Personally, I think you should only have a baby shower for your first child. I think it's tacky and in poor taste to ask people for gifts everytime you have a child. Just my two cents though!

Noelle9982 said:
A baby shower is a party held for the mom-to-be before the baby is born. Basically, the mother chooses gifts (a stroller, bottles, clothes, etc.) at various stores that she'd like and guests buy the items. Then they bring them to the shower and the mother has everything she'll need for her child. It's just like a bridal shower before a wedding if you're familiar with that.

Personally, I think you should only have a baby shower for your first child. I think it's tacky and in poor taste to ask people for gifts everytime you have a child. Just my two cents though!

Thaks a lot Noelle! I have never heard anything about baby showers until now. In Italy there aren't such parties.

baby showers are fun!

I've been to some where there are some little parlor games and cake and nice lunch too!

They are!
My sister in law actually has her's coming up in a few weeks.
I wonder if we'll know what sort of gifts Mary gets like we did for her wedding (providing her has one!)

Baby showers are sooooooooo not fun. A bunch of women screaming about how cute stuff is and playing those awful games- AHHHHHHHHH! lol :)

I'd chime in with GrandDuchess and say that babyshowers definitely aren't very European, at least not northern European. You might buy something for the baby when it is born, such as a couple of items of clothing, or a toy, but nothing excessive, and the parents/grandparents are usually the ones buying strollers/cribs, etc.

Mary might have had one, though, but that's probably considered to be private, and not something we'd be a part of.

Is it common in Europe for expecting parents not to find out the sex of the baby before its born? Almost all couples I know who've had babies or are expecting here in the US find out if it's a boy or girl before hand.

Maybe they do know and won't release the info to the public?

i think the royals know the gender of the babies but they don't want to spread the news before the birth. :)
In Portugal the couples know the gender of their babies. It's normal.

rchainho said:
i think the royals know the gender of the babies but they don't want to spread the news before the birth. :)

This was certainly the case for Phillippe and Mathilde of Belgium. They knew taht Elisabeth would be a girl months before she was born but did not reveal it publicly. It was only after Elisabeth was born and Phillippe and Mathilde met with the press that they knew she would be a girl back in the summer (she was born in October) but kept it private.

Phillippe's brother Laurent and his wife Claire knew that Louise would be a girl too, and confirmed so and that her name would be Louise. (But perhaps only after it had been leaked to the media.)

I really don't think Mary needs any gifts for her baby. Maybe people who want to give presents should send a check to the charity of their choice. Just an opinion. :)

rchainho said:
i think the royals know the gender of the babies but they don't want to spread the news before the birth. :).
I think so. I don't hear more news about a busy movement in Denmark parliament to ratify the new rule of succession (or may be I'm wrong). Just curious if they already know that the baby will be a boy then they don't need to do it soonest.

Roxsteve said:
I really don't think Mary needs any gifts for her baby. Maybe people who want to give presents should send a check to the charity of their choice. Just an opinion. :)
A good idea Roxsteve:)

galuhcandrakirana said:
I think so. I don't hear more news about a busy movement in Denmark parliament to ratify the new rule of succession (or may be I'm wrong). Just curious if they already know that the baby will be a boy then they don't need to do it soonest.

I might be wrong, but I think you can´t do such a big change faster. It always has to be accepted of "two elected parliaments" (in other words in two election periods). And this is, what is done now. So it doesn´t matter, if and when Mary and Frederik found out about the sex of the baby. A girl wouldn´t be born as heir, but would become automatically heir, when the change is confirmed of the second parliament. Denmark has elected this year (just when Mary got pregnant). So the next government (high likely) won´t reign before 2009. So it´s anyway too late for a fast change. If you ask me, it would have been much better to do this change years ago. When the baby is now a girl and gets later a brother within 4 years this would mean, that the boy would be heir to the throne for a while. Some children wouldn´t care, but some children are more sensitive...and who can know now, what character Frederik´s and Mary´s children will have...:confused:

Last edited:
i heard now the news that the Prime Minister could know the gender of mary's baby by changing the law before the birth.

rchainho said:
i heard now the news that the Prime Minister could know the gender of mary's baby by changing the law before the birth.
Seriously, some people have been pushing the Prime Ministers for years for that change, well before the current baby was in the works anyway. Just because they're changing it now, doesn't mean that Anders Fogh knows more than us. He might, though, if Mary and Frederik knows, and wants to share. ;)

"This is a principal change to the royal succession law that we want and that we will present before the Crown Princess gives birth," Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen said, after discussing the proposal with the country's political leaders. (from the site has posted by rchainho http://www.thecouriermail.news.com....255E954,00.html).

Is it possible that the rule might approved by parlement before the baby born? How about the new rule has to be accepted of “two elected parliaments” ( I just know it from other post, I don't know much about Dannes parliament, government and their rule). Is that possible to boost the new rule without follow the way they should be done? (let say its like an emergency situation):confused: . I hope some Danish in this forum could help me more on it. Personally, I prefer if it could happened before the baby born.

I think that they want the law written before the baby is born. I heard that it won't be law until 2007 if it passes a referendum too. They might want to make it clear that the law is changed if Mary and Frederik are have a girl and then they have a boy before the law is changed.

Oppie said:
I think that they want the law written before the baby is born. I heard that it won't be law until 2007 if it passes a referendum too. They might want to make it clear that the law is changed if Mary and Frederik are have a girl and then they have a boy before the law is changed.

what would happen then? I do hope that if the law changes after a girl and boy are born that they don't do the retroactive switch like they did in Sweden.

This is just a guess because I'm not Danish and I don't know a lot of the situation. From what I read I think they would want it to be clear that the law is going to change. If this baby is a girl and then they have a boy before the law is changed, even though the boy will be the heir for a short time it will be clear that the girl will be the eventually heir. So you will have the same situation as Sweden except that everyone will understand that the girl will be the heir.

I believe I read that Haakon and Mette-Marit, and Willem-Alexander and Maxima chose to be surprised with the gender of their babies.

I also prefer it to be like that. I think it would be more thrilling if both parents would know the gender of their baby once it is delivered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom