Mary and Frederik's Circle of Friends (Danish and Australian)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
"Princess Mary's Circle of Friends (Danish and Australian)"

This thread can be used for discussing news about Mary's friends, discussing their relationships with Mary, etc.

Please remember the TRF rules/faq when posting :)

Last edited:
Princess Mary's Circle of Friends (Danish and Australian)

Does no one here think that Amber will be a godmother to one of the twins?

I really hope so. Adelaide has really helped Amber into a stable career, and her recent writings on topics like domestic violence have been exemplary. (She isn't a churchgoer, though, as far as I know, and THAT might prevent her from the role of Godmother to the fourth or fifth in line to the throne!)

Princess Mary's Circle of Friends (Danish and Australian)

I am bit cynical of Amber and I don't think she will be a godparent...Maybe if she was married by now which would enforce the family values espoused by the DRF, perhaps, but that hasn't happened, so I doubt she will be asked...

My cynicism begins around the time of Mary's solo trip after the twins announcement...The sequence of event were:

1. Amber's actual birthday spent in Melbourne with a small group of friends at a restaurant
2. Mary's pregnant with twins, plans to visit Australia, sisters in Hobart and Amber in Adelaide
3. Amber decides to show her BFF how well connected SHE is and arranges another birthday bash for herself (Amber)...totally over the top, 150+ guests, Amber wears the princess gown and Mary wears the disco jumpsuit...

In these matters, they are probably as bad as each other, Amber wants to show off and show she is worthy of her BFF but on the other hand Mary now expects people to fawn over her and make a grand entrance and hob nob with the rich and influential, it is in her blood now...I am trying to think of the alternate scenario, in which Mary is invited to a intimate birthday dinner no. 2 for 6 friends in an Adelaide restaurant...Would this low key 'event' be enough for Mary? I am reading too much into it but I think they both need each other for different reasons and they use each other for different reasons also...

Sorry about the rant, but I don't think Amber will ever be allowed into the inner circle, too risky and volatile...

CP Mary did not need to go to Adelaide to "hob nob" with the rich and influential. She has done that for the past 6 years in Denmark and will continue to do so where ever she goes in the world! And CP Mary attends intimate gatherings in Denmark without a whole lot of media attention, but she is a public person, and when she leaves her home, she attracts public and media attention. Same as in Australia - It is the media that pursues CP Mary when she is in Australia. What is CP Mary supposed to do? Hide in the hotel or her sister's home?
At least CP Mary knows the meaning of loyalty. And so does Amber -she has never revealed any details about Mary and her past life in Australia. As a matter of fact, none of Mary's Australian friends have. Mary didn't drop her Aussie friends when she met, became engaged to and married CP Frederik. The stories about Amber Petty in Denmark always try to make her out to be living a life of one scandal after another. That simply isn't true. Despite the media's attempts, CP Mary has remained loyal to old friends from Australia. And I admire her for that.
If CP Mary had cut all ties with her friends in Australia, she would have been roundly criticized for lacking character.
In addition to that, Amber is already in the inner circle as she is the best friend of the Crown Princess and future Queen of Denmark. Amber was invited to Prince Christian's christening and CP Frederik's 40th birthday. CP Mary also makes it a point to visit Amber when she goes to Australia. Amber can't get any closer to the inner circle than that. Whether or not Amber is named as a godparent isn't going to change the close relationship between Mary and Amber.

Thanks Terri, I think you have just reinforced the points I was trying to make about their friendship, they both have vested interests to sustain and maintain it...Amber motivations might be, to have an important friend allows you access to areas otherwise restricted to the general public and she gets to write about it, her entry password is 'BFF of a Princess' beat that! And my criticism was not to say Mary should have stayed in her hotel (she stayed in Amber's apartment, didn't she?) my point was, why did Amber go to all the effort of a 2nd mega party as soon as she knew Mary would be coming to town, if not to impress and show off to her friend...Look at me, I might not have married a Prince but I am a success too!!

And Mary's motivations are to demonstrate that she is loyal, she is normal, she is accessible...And invitations to weddings, christenings and parties do not constitute inner circle...Inner circle to me means a person of the court who is able to counsel, influence and encourage Mary to do certain things in a professional or personal capacity...I don't even think her sisters, Patricia and Jane are in Mary's inner circle!!! And it is probably easier to be in ther inner circle if the geographical barrier weren't there either...

I think you have just reinforced the points I was trying to make about their friendship
Actually, I think you missed my point entirely!
Mary and Amber were friends for a very long time...way before she met Frederik. And the fact that they have continued to remain friends is testament to that enduring friendship that they had before. Since Mary and Amber were friends before she met Frederik, should Mary have cut ties with Amber after she married Frederik? And since Amber was chosen by Mary as her maid of honor, that's how the Danish and Australian media continues to portray her and what she became "famous" for. Yes, Amber works for radio and other such media - and she is entitled to be able to work in any profession she so desires. It shouldn't be held against her that her best friend is a Danish royal.

Her entry password is 'BFF of a Princess' beat that!
So?...Amber is stating a known and public fact. She is CP Mary's best friend, she was after all Mary's maid of honor. And again, given that she and Mary are friends, what intimate details have Amber ever revealed about Mary's life (before she became a Crown Princess and after) that damaged Mary in anyway? None. Amber and Mary's other Aussie friends have been very loyal to Mary. If Amber calling herself "BFF of a Princess" is all that CP Mary has to worry about...then Mary is very lucky indeed! Some royals aren't as lucky as Mary. One of Princess Marie's ex-boyfriends went public about their sex life to one of the Danish tabloids - that hasn't happy to CP Mary.

And my criticism was not to say Mary should have stayed in her hotel (she stayed in Amber's apartment, didn't she?)
No. CP Mary did not stay in Amber's apartment when she visited Adelaide. She and her security detail stayed at the Adabco Boutique Hotel near Amber's apartment.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...arty-in-adelaide/story-e6frea83-1225907583821

why did Amber go to all the effort of a 2nd mega party
Why shouldn't she have a 2nd bigger party to celebrate her 40th birthday? She had an intimate one in Melbourne and a big bash in Adelaide. The party in Adelaide was a very elegant black tie event! Amber is allowed to celebrate her birthday in any way she pleases just like everyone else. Are big birthday bashes only to be reserved for the royal and rich? Amber was celebrating a milestone in her life, and I say, good on her for celebrating it the way she wanted! Supposed Amber had the big bash in Adelaide only - would you be critical of that as well? As long as Amber had to foot the bill herself and it wasn't taxpayers money - I don't see a problem with her having as many parties as she likes!

And Mary's motivations are to demonstrate that she is loyal, she is normal, she is accessible
Mary doesn't need to be motivated to be those things. She has already shown that despite the negative media light in which Amber is portrayed (sometimes unfairly), she has not abandoned the true friends that knew her when she was Mary Donaldson. That shows true character on her part! It also demonstrates that Mary genuinely cares about her friends and that she has been just as loyal to them as they have been to her! We all have close friends in our lives - are our motivations to demonstrate to anybody that we are loyal or do we genuinely care about those who are our close friends? Why should it be any different for Mary and Amber because their friendship is so public?

And invitations to weddings, christenings and parties do not constitute inner circle..
Amber was not any ordinary wedding guest who was invited to the wedding...she was part of the wedding party as maid of honor. Amber was the only non-family member who was in Mary's wedding party. CP Mary also called Amber when she was on her honeymoon. Mary called Amber and other Aussie friends when she was in hospital after she gave birth to Christian. That sounds very much like an inner circle to me.

Inner circle to me means a person of the court who is able to counsel, influence and encourage Mary to do certain things in a professional or personal capacity
Inner circle can also be those people you are comfortable being yourself with or who knew you "back when" so to speak. Amber is one of the select few Aussie friends who knew CP Mary when she was just Mary Donaldson. In Denmark, Mary always has to be aware that she is the Crown Princess and future Queen, even in some of the friendships she has formed in Denmark. In Australia, she is able to be around people who have no pretentions about her being royalty now. In her sisters' homes, she can just be the little sister. With Amber, she can just be an old friend. And I think her sisters and Aussie friends are just as important in Mary's inner circle as the people in the Danish court who assist her in her role as Crown Princess and future Queen.

Inner circle can also be those people you are comfortable being yourself with or who knew you "back when" so to speak. Amber is one of the select few Aussie friends who knew CP Mary when she was just Mary Donaldson. In Denmark, Mary always has to be aware that she is the Crown Princess and future Queen, even in some of the friendships she has formed in Denmark. In Australia, she is able to be around people who have no pretentions about her being royalty now. In her sisters' homes, she can just be the little sister. With Amber, she can just be an old friend. And I think her sisters and Aussie friends are just as important in Mary's inner circle as the people in the Danish court who assist her in her role as Crown Princess and future Queen.

Well put, Terri. I haven't kept up to date on the royals lately, with school and all, but it sounds like Amber has been a very good friend to Mary throughout her teen and young adult years up until now. It wouldn't surprise me if Amber was indeed listed as one of the godparents. I hope it's boy/girl twins. That way, Frederick and Mary will have 2 of each, no one will be left out.

but it sounds like Amber has been a very good friend to Mary throughout her teen and young adult years up until now. .

Mary and Amber have only known each other since 1996 when they were work colleagues at MOJO advertising/marketing in Melbourne...The friendship supposedly developed after 1998, after Henrietta's death (in 1997), when Mary decided to go backpacking through Scotland/Europe...Apparently, Amber's words in a workplace farewell card really stuck with Mary...And I think after returning to Australia, Mary moved to Sydney....So while I am not begrudging Mary or Amber anything regarding their friendship, they did only know each other for a short time (2-3 years) and had a long distance friendship (Mary in Sydney and Amber still in Melbourne) when Mary met Fred in 2000...

So maybe it's that newness and association with life change (travelling, taking risks, moving to Sydney, meeting Fred) that cemented their connection and deepened their friendship?

:previous:
I guess this is a question only Mary and Amber can answer to.
Anyway fact is that Mary considers Amber as her best friend, no one can argue about that.

Best friends don't have a time limit...it doesn't matter how you long you know someone else...its how you connect...if they are there for you when you are at your worst...and they are happy enough for you to celebrate the high points of your life. A best friend can be someone who you don't talk to on a regular, but the very next time you speak...its like you just spoke yesterday.

Only Amber and Mary know if the definition listed above applies to their friendship.

On the other hand...when one gets to be close to 40...do you have a best friend...or a very dear and close friend?

We see snippets of the royals going about their live's and interacting with certain people. There must be huge chunks of their live's we know nothing about, like who they have coffee with, eat with, call on phone for a chat, send e mail's to etc. We do not and never will, see the 'whole' of their lives. So IMO, our judgments are based on very little really. (that doesn't stop me being interested)!

Quite true.

Personally, I don't particulary care who they are friends with, who they call, who they email, what they eat, where they eat, who with . . . it's none of my business and it doesn't interest me.

Relations between royal houses interests me, but those of a much more personal nature I find entirely uninteresting, to be honest.

Yes, I mean I am interested in their live's in general, the more intimate stuff - not so much. They are intitled to privacy, just like us.

The only female friend of Mary I heard is Amber. I am not sure if Amber is really loyal friend, she seems more like an opportunist.

The only female friend of Mary I heard is Amber. I am not sure if Amber is really loyal friend, she seems more like an opportunist.

Mary does have quite a few female friends who are Danish.
BB had an article on them. Fred & Mary spend quite a few holiday with them as in Sardinia in 2009, summer house in Denmark in 2010. Mary is a godmother to one of her danish friends daughters/son (not sure which).

Not sure about Amber, personally I think she took some advantages of her being Mary's friend after Mary got married.

Re: BFF etc.

I'm pretty sure Mary and Amber are honest friends that remain as loyal to one another, as one can, when being on either side of the planet. I don't doubt, that Amber has her own life to live, and as such can't spend every waking moment wondering what Mary would think of this and that.

I don't know of anybody who remain close friends merely because it has some sort of professional or social benefit - at least not ones you'd ask to be Maid of Honour at your wedding! And if Mary thought Amber was decieving her, I'm pretty sure she'd have cut her off years ago - not keep travelling across the globe to attend birthday parties etc.

I don't see this alleged socio-professional symbiosis working at all.

Some of her female friends (apart form Amber):

Caroline Herring
Birgitte Handwerk
Helle Reedtz-Thott
Julie Mølsgaard
Dr. Nadine Johnston
Rose Gad
Anja Camilla Alajdi
Tanja K. Doky
Caroline Fleming
Kylie Matthews

How could anyone possibly know this:flowers: Mary seems to trust her. That's what matters.

Some of her female friends (apart form Amber):

Caroline Herring
Birgitte Handwerk
Helle Reedtz-Thott
Julie Mølsgaard
Dr. Nadine Johnston
Rose Gad
Anja Camilla Alajdi
Tanja K. Doky
Caroline Fleming
Kylie Matthews

Sternchen I think some of these friends came to Mary via her husband, which doesn't mean they aren't real friends, but in a very different category from Amber. Nadine Johnston went to the same uni as Mary but wasn't close to her at uni, she knows her really through her Arctic science work, which involved Frederik. Tanja and Caroline H are ladies in waiting, rather than personal friends. Anja is Mary's paid stylist. I think Kylie Matthews and Helle, and also Caroline Fleming, are the likeliest "true friends" on your list ...

It appeared that after the announcement of Mary's engagement and then the wedding, that Amber appeared to ride on Mary's coattails. The last few years she seems to have taken her own course in life. Obviously, Amber and Mary appear to be very close still. It can be hard due to one living in Australia and one in Denmark, but that's what cell phones and computers are for, much
quicker communication than the old days.;)

Tanja and Caroline H are ladies in waiting, rather than personal friends

I disagree. Whether employed or not, both these ladies, particularly Caroline I'd endeavour to suggest, seem quite close. So much so their families have vacationed together in Switzerland on more than one occasion I believe. Mary and Frederik have also attended various dinner parties hosted by Caroline and her husband.

Because they work for the Crown Princely couple cannot then suggest that their relationship is strictly professional. All 'signs' indicate that their relationship goes beyond a working environment, and quite often at that.

I disagree. Whether employed or not, both these ladies, particularly Caroline I'd endeavour to suggest, seem quite close. So much so their families have vacationed together in Switzerland on more than one occasion I believe. Mary and Frederik have also attended various dinner parties hosted by Caroline and her husband.

Because they work for the Crown Princely couple cannot then suggest that their relationship is strictly professional. All 'signs' indicate that their relationship goes beyond a working environment, and quite often at that.

I agree with this statement as well, they seem more like friends than employee IMO.

Weren't Mary & Caroline friends before Caroline started being her LIW? & if not mistaken, Caroline's husband has known Fred for many years now, correct?

Weren't Mary & Caroline friends before Caroline started being her LIW? & if not mistaken, Caroline's husband has known Fred for many years now, correct?

Did they go to school together or something along those lines?

Yes, and Mary actually chose Caroline as her L-I-W and now personal secretary BECAUSE of their close friendship. And yes, they have been in Switzerland several times together, also Croatia one summer.

Anyway, Mary's close friends involve

Amber Petter
Caroline Heering
Birgitte Handwerk
Julie Mølsgård (they seem to go shopping together very often)

Of course she also has friends like Helle Redtz-Thott, Caroline Fleming, but those don't seem as close and more as friends JUST because they are from danish aristocrathy. Even though she did have a vacation in London with them at one point.

Sternchen I think some of these friends came to Mary via her husband, which doesn't mean they aren't real friends, but in a very different category from Amber. Nadine Johnston went to the same uni as Mary but wasn't close to her at uni, she knows her really through her Arctic science work, which involved Frederik. Tanja and Caroline H are ladies in waiting, rather than personal friends. Anja is Mary's paid stylist. I think Kylie Matthews and Helle, and also Caroline Fleming, are the likeliest "true friends" on your list ...

So what if they are associated through Fred? I have gotten to know some great friends through my htb and they are confidants now, same as he is close friends with some of my old friends now.
I thought the name of this thread is "Princess Mary's Circle of Friends (Danish and Australian)" not "Princess Mary's Circle of Friends from Category XYZ". :p
Tanja and Caroline have been friends of Mary before they became l-i-w. There are plenty of photos especially of Caroline even before the engagement was announced.
I don't know how close Mary is with Helle and Caroline, but I do think they are quiet close, otherwise they wouldn't have asked her to be a godmother to their children, would they?

The only female friend of Mary I heard is Amber.

She has other friends, but they are not public people.

Friends of Australia:

Female Friends

Simone Wolf (childhood's friend and university colleague) and Jane:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nov9u.jpg (Simone, Mary and Jane at the Royal Wedding in Denmark 2004)

http://i42.tinypic.com/335f9t0.jpg (Simone with Christian, December 2006)

Simone Wolf

Simone grew up in Hobart, Tasmania and is a life long friend of Crown Princess Mary. Simone and Mary attended primary school and high school together and then went on to study law at the University of Tasmania.

Dr. Nadine Johnston (University of Tasmania friend, Isabella's godmother)

http://i43.tinypic.com/309o3tj.jpg (2007)

http://i42.tinypic.com/ekfec8.jpg (with Mary, Isabella and Christian, Denmark 2009)

Now its Princess Isabella | Adelaide Now

Seks faddere til prinsessen - dr.dk/Nyheder/Temaer/Prinsesse

Past Fellowship Recipients

Kylie Matthews
(flatmate)

http://i39.tinypic.com/juiwwn.jpg (2003)

http://i34.tinypic.com/35i0xs1.jpg (2003)

Something about Mary - smh.com.au (2003)

The Tasmanian trip marks the second time they have flown out to Australia in recent months, with the couple visiting Sydney last October to attend the wedding of Ms Donaldson's friends Kylie Matthews and
Anthony Jones at St Mark's Church, Darling Point.
(2003)

Princess Mary | Crown Prince Frederick | Danish Royals | Kylie Matthews denies rumours of fling with Frederick | Melissa Singer (2009)

Male Friends

Hamish Campbell (university friend and godfather of Christian):

http://i41.tinypic.com/2hxxd04.jpg (2001)

http://i42.tinypic.com/k0634k.jpg (2001)

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ntiv87.jpg (2001)

http://i37.tinypic.com/1zp4a4x.jpg (2010)

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Future-queen-remains-down-to-earth/2005/02/26/1109180163579.html (Mary, Hamish and Amber - 2005)

Polo royalty | Herald Sun (Hamish 2007)

Video (Mary and Hamish 2010)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSLAXWUQsQY

Amber and Hamish Video (2003/2004)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPz1ME6YISQ&feature=player_embedded

Friends Wedding 2004:

_ Mr. MATTHEW ANNELLS (Brent's brother, former boyfriend of Mary)
_ Mr. HAMISH CAMPBELL;
_ Dr. NADINE JOHNSTON;
_ Mrs. KYLIE JONES (Kylie Mathews);
_ Mr. ANDREW MILES (flatmate);
_ Miss AMBER PETTY;
_ Mrs. BRETT WOLF (Simone Wolf).;
_ Mrs. ??? (Jane).

http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/kongehuset/article.jhtml?articleID=169314 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...rk-and-mary-donaldson-may-14-2004-a-2280.html)

I am not sure if Amber is really loyal friend, she seems more like an opportunist.

Amber worked for the media, but not exposed mary.

Mary seems to trust her.

Amber is a public person, and she has no reason to hide.

Friendship:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=112922

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Future-queen-remains-down-to-earth/2005/02/26/1109180163579.html

http://www.icmi.com.au/Entertainer/MCs_Entertaining/Amber_Petty/Biography

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...e-wedding-festivities-may-2004-a-2212-10.html (Message 192)

Mary doesn't need to be motivated to be those things. She has already shown that despite the negative media light in which Amber is portrayed (sometimes unfairly), she has not abandoned the true friends that knew her when she was Mary Donaldson. That shows true character on her part! It also demonstrates that Mary genuinely cares about her friends and that she has been just as loyal to them as they have been to her! We all have close friends in our lives - are our motivations to demonstrate to anybody that we are loyal or do we genuinely care about those who are our close friends? Why should it be any different for Mary and Amber because their friendship is so public?

Amber was not any ordinary wedding guest who was invited to the wedding...she was part of the wedding party as maid of honor. Amber was the only non-family member who was in Mary's wedding party. CP Mary also called Amber when she was on her honeymoon. Mary called Amber and other Aussie friends when she was in hospital after she gave birth to Christian. That sounds very much like an inner circle to me.

Well put, Terri.

Nadine Johnston went to the same uni as Mary but wasn't close to her at uni, she knows her really through her Arctic science work, which involved Frederik. ...

That is speculation, I suppose.

Nadine studied at the University of Tasmania. Mary studied at the University of Tasmania.

Nadine was originally presented as a friend of Mary.

Seks faddere til prinsessen - dr.dk/Nyheder/Temaer/Prinsesse (Translation: dr. Nadine Johnston, a close friend of Crown princess Mary)

Yes, that is right. Caroline's mother in law, Susanne Heering, and the queen have been friends for more than 30 years, sharing a common interest in the ballet. So Peter Heering, Caroline's husband, has always been mentioned as one of Frederik's friends.

Susanne Heering runs her own ballet school at Næstved, and the queen has become the regular scenographer - here Dronning Margrethe i juleballet - Royale - BT.dk the costumes - designed by the queen - for an upcoming christmas ballet are presented

whatever happened to "friends" like Andrew Miles and Beatrice Tarnawski, I wonder?...or have they been deemed "inappropriate" ???

(Aussie members please feel free to post on this one ..:whistling::whistling::whistling:..........

Care to explain who they are Common?
<...>

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom