General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 17: January 2018 - June 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:

Nice video! Looks like they had a lovely family evening... a relaxed and happy group. Wish I knew what young Vincent had to say to the reporters as they left.

Billed Bladet's reporter asks them what they thought of the play, to which Vincent replies that "it was good." The reporter then asks what he thought was the best thing about it and Vincent responds a bit shyly (perhaps not expecting to whip up a whole conversation :lol:): "Uh, I don't know." (Which is what makes Josephine laugh).

https://www.bt.dk/samfund/kongelige-soeskende-begynder-i-skole-i-schweiz-efter-nytaar

The court says that M&F's children will start school in Switzerland on 6th January.
There they will stay for twelve weeks.
During that time it will mainly be Mary who will stay with them on a day to day basis, with Frederik joining his family when he can.
As such Mary will take on fewer duties as usual.

- So until the end of March or so it will be very quiet in regards to the DRF!
We can hope they will make up for it when QMII turns 80. ;)

A great adventure awaits for the CP family especially the kids.
In connection with the start of their stay and start of school there will be a photo oportunity.

Advisory for editors: Photographing in connection with school stay in Switzerland | The Danish Monarchy - Front Page

" Photographing in connection with school stay in Switzerland

Their Royal Highnesses Prince Christian, Princess Isabella, Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine begin a 12-week school stay at Lemania-Verbier International School in Switzerland on Monday, 6 January 2020. In connection with the start of the school term, there will be an opportunity for photographing of the Crown Prince Family in Verbier, Switzerland.

With this photo opportunity, the desire is that the royal children’s first day at Lemania-Verbier will be kept as private as possible and take place with respect for the new classmates and their families. Furthermore, it is the Crown Prince Couple’s wish that, in the coming months, the media abide by the previous agreement that the royal children should be able to move about privately without the media’s attention both inside and outside of the school."

And as announced Frederik will be in Switzerland as well for the youth Olympics from January 9 to 22

I am sorry I missed this but is it normal for Danish kids to be pulled out of school like that? Or is this a program related to their current school that allows them to study abroad?

To me it seems strange. If it were like a summer program I could easily understand that.

I am sorry I missed this but is it normal for Danish kids to be pulled out of school like that? Or is this a program related to their current school that allows them to study abroad?

To me it seems strange. If it were like a summer program I could easily understand that.

Well, define "normal"? Far from everyone can afford or have the opportunity to take their children abroad for a period of time. So no, in that sense it isn't the norm.

But it's also not uncommon – especially not in lower secondary school. I've had classmates who were pulled from school for 6 months and were homeschooled while their family travelled through different parts of the world. I've also had classmates who have been pulled from school because their parents have been stationed somewhere for a shorter period of time. It doesn't have a major impact on your "normal" education so long as it doesn't interfere with exams.

If I was to guess, I'd say the reason they're doing it now and this way is that it was simply their last chance of sending all four children abroad at the same time. Next year, Christian will be taking his final exams and wouldn't be able to take 3 months out of the school year for a stay abroad.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...rederik-bliver-hos-mary-og-boernene-i-schweiz

Frederik will stay or at least be near his family for most of January.

While it is presumed Mary will stay with the children most of the time near their school in Verbier, Frederik will attend the Youth Olympics in Lausanne from 9th to 22nd January.
- To that I can add that the somewhat meager paper edition of BB this weeks says that Lausanne is about an hours drive from Verbier so except Frederik has commitments late in the evening he can IMO join his family regularly and sleep there.
So without a crystal-ball I will predict that January is going to be very quiet in regards to the DRF.
But for those who are fond of QMII that means I will have time to write running commentaries to the Frederik IX docu and a docu about the production of the Snowqueen, where QMII is very much featured working BTS.

First pictures ❤️
http://content.invisioncic.com/r38859/monthly_2020_01/image.png.adbcbd9bf5865da50d438bf694c3d208.png
http://content.invisioncic.com/r38859/monthly_2020_01/image.png.4c32bfd246280676ad54a12ab32bc0f1.png
http://content.invisioncic.com/r38859/monthly_2020_01/image.png.dfc1577837a55f59ae64ef82af605953.png

Videos with interwiewing the family:

Lovely interviews with the family and Christian and Isabella gave some good answers. And all kids looked much forward to learn a new country but agreed they looked most forward to when skiing was on the school schedule ? :blink:

As the ‘heir to the throne family’ their life is so planned and locked, so I’m so happy for Frederik, Mary and kids they have taken out these 12 weeks now to make a family experience. They may never get that opputurnity again. They really deseves that. I think its gonna be a wonderful time for them and so in this beautiful nature and landscape. Living in a home they have lived in for 10 years and in a town they know so well. But still a little break from the everyday life at home. And a wonderful present for the children to meet friends from other cultures. And then they can all do it together. I wish them such lovely weeks. They deserve it.

I will miss them though. It will be quite weird not to see the Crown Prince couple on work almost every day as we have been used to in so many years. But I’m so happy for them and they really derserve it, and 12 weeks go fast. So enjoy.

The school get very warm rewiews on Google:

“Brilliant school, great education, lots of skiing and lovely family feel. Our children attended LVIS for 2 years and loved every bit of it. The teaching is excellent, the student body wonderful, fun, family like feel. We couldn't have enjoyed our experience more, nor have higher recommendations. If you're considering moving to Verbier, or doing a ski term or year or two in Switzerland, I can't recommend this school highly enough.”

“ We thoroughly enjoyed our time at LVIS. The school is very familial and loving. New children are embraced and brought into the mix very quickly. Due to the size of the school, the teaching staff have the opportunity to form special bond's with the children. They are passionate and committed to teaching and creating projects of great interest along with instilling eco-values and the importance of caring for the environment in daily activities. The sports program is varied and strong with a great emphasis on local resources such as skiing, biking, and tennis. Excellent experience for the children!”

“The quality of the staff is excellent with an exceptional level of dedication. A hands on headmaster who has a great overview of academic, sporting and pastoral care. A warm and caring atmosphere makes the school feel like home for the children.“

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's learn what they said:

Frederik was asked what he expects from this stay.
That the children will have a great experience and they will speak English and a little French all day.

Mary was asked: Why this school and this location?
Because it provides many opportunities and experiences for the children. The whole family enjoy being outside. They skiing and it's an area they are familiar with. Providing a comfortable/feeling of safe setting. And it's a fantastic school.
They will get the opportunity to meet other children and get an international experience. And learn how it is to go to school in another country.
Frederik added that even though they are close to Denmark, it's different. They get an extra sporting experience.

Christian was asked what they have been looking forward to the most:
To get to know a new country a little better. To learn how to go to school in Switzerland. Get to know new people and skiing.

Isabella was asked whether they speak English and French.
She and Christian are taught French at home and at school. they are looking forward to becoming much better at both English and French.

Where will they live?
In the same chalet they have used for the past ten years. It's a house they purchased some ten years ago. So it's a familiar home.

Christian is asked what subject he is looking forward to the most.
Skiing.
Isabella too.

M&F are asked whether they will miss each other as they will spend much time separately.
Yes, but it's a shared experience and that's the condition.

Christian is asked what he will be missing most at home:
His classmates.

M&F explains they will live a completely different rhythm.
And Christian will take his final exams next year, so it will not make sense to pull him out later. But this year all four can be pulled out of their regular school.

The story is on Daily Mail. Can't link directly, so that I'll leave for someone else. ?

So is the letter to Australian PM story.

Last edited by a moderator:
M&F are asked whether they will miss each other as they will spend much time separately.
Yes, but it's a shared experience and that's the condition.

More of that part from DR:

"- Vi savner altid hinanden, når vi er væk fra hinanden, men det er en fælles oplevelse, vi er ude på, siger hun."

"- We always miss each other when we are away from each other, (which Frederik agreed to in the video) but it is a shared experience we are on, she says."

:flowers:

Last edited:
I think this is a wonderful idea of Frederik and Mary to consider an idea outside the normal way of doing things for their children.

I noticed that Christian has had his braces removed. Isabella is quite tall. Vincent looks like he wanted to be elsewhere. While Josephine seems to enjoy everything. I have always enjoyed watching this family and greatly admire the way F&M have created great opportunities for their children.

Here is a full translation of what Frederik, Mary and children said at this morning's press conference:

The Crown Prince couple’s wishes with this press conference is that the children get privacy during the rest of their stay.

Crown Prince Frederik started by telling us what he expects from this stay:

- “We want them to have an exciting stay with an international profile. They will speak English most of the day, and a little French will also be included. They are going to have a huge international experience, ”he says.

Crown Princess Mary was asked how they chose this school and this place?

- “It brings together many great opportunities and experiences for the children. We all like to be out in nature, and it is magnificent nature that we stand in.
We like to ski, and then it is an area we know, so it provides some safe environment in this way.
It is a fantastic school academically, and it allows the children to meet some other young people and, as my husband has just said, to give the children an insight into going to school in another country, ”she says.

Frederik added that although they are close to Denmark, it is a different environment. They get an extra sporting experience.

Prince Christian was asked what they looked most forward to:

- “We are really looking forward to getting to know a new country and getting to know the schooling in Switzerland. And of course also ski a little more and then get to know some people from different countries, ”he says.

Princess Isabella was asked if they speak both English and French?

- "Well me and Christian have French at home in school, and yes we are going to be much better at English, and also French, so we are looking forward to that," she says.

Crown Prince Frederik is asked where they as a family will stay during the 12 weeks?

- "We will be staying in the same cabin we have been using for the last ten years. It is a house that we bought over ten years ago. So it's a home we know."

Prince Christian is asked what subject he is most looking forward to?

- "Skiing," it sounds from Prince Christian with a big smile, while Princess Isabella agreed:
- "Yes, also skiing," she says with a smile.

During the short stay there will be times when Crown Prince Frederik has to go home to take care of official duties and alas has to be away from the family sometimes. The press asks the Crown Prince couple if they will miss each other in those situations?

The Crown Prince couple smiles to each other.

- "We always miss each other when we are away from each other, but it is a shared experience we do here and that is the condition it has," Crown Princess Mary tells.

Prince Christian is asked what he will miss at home?

- "Uh .. My classmates. And eh.......”.

Christian looks inquiring at his parents. He can't think of more right in the moment. The family laughs and Mary affirmatively tells Christian that missing his classmates is a really good answer.

Is it also an opportunity to get a little break from daily life at home?

- "Yes it will be a completely different daily rhythm we will have and it will also be exciting for us all to try something completely new," explains Crown Princess Mary.

Crown Prince Frederik adds:

- “Christian goes in 8th grade, so next year it won't be easy to take him out of school. There are graduation exams that he will be preparing for, so that would not make sense as it does this year. That's why it's great that we can take all 4 children out this year and together give them these 11.5 weeks experiences. ”

What does it mean for the Crown Prince family to be able to do this together as a family?

- “Well, as I said, now we have the opportunity to take all children out. Next year, it will not be so easy due to graduation from the 9th grade for Christian.
That's why it's fantastic we can give them - and ourselves - a huge experience in the three months here, ”concludes Crown Prince Frederik.

The Crown Prince couple says a thousand thanks to the press and Crown Princess Mary says excitedly to the children that now its time.. and the family goes to school.

Video with the interview in full lengde, but without the first 10 minutes before the family arrive:

Last edited:
Last edited:
:previous: I don't think it was common knowledge that they actually own a house in Verbier.
Personally I was under the impression the borrowed a house from some of their friends there.
Seems like a good investment though, considering the prices there!

Little French will be included. No enough between School and Ski to speak the language fluently.
Verbier is known for being the place to be , they will not meet people of the Street !
Many airplanes travels from the Crown Prince from Denmark to Verbier also !

:previous: I don't think the intention has ever been for them to become fluent in French in three months. As Isabella said, she and Christian are both learning it at home and will be able to use it in practise while in Switzerland. No one's ever said anything about meeting "people of the street" (the fewest of royals ever do), Christian said that they were looking forward to meeting people from different countries. Regarding the travels, you technically speaking have no idea how (and how much) they'll make their way back and forth yet, so there's nothing to base that assumption on.

I gotta say, I have never understood these token jabs at M&F on here. Like criticism on a reasonable ground, sure, but this just feels like a certain crowd has a need to get in there with their gall every time either of them do anything, and usually this gall is rooted in absolutely nothing. I mean, there's an entire other forum dedicated to that. Why not just take criticism for the sake of criticism there?

Last edited:
Thank you Zelia

Little French will be included. No enough between School and Ski to speak the language fluently.

The school is bilingual and they ski twice a week. ;) There's plenty of time to speak and improve the French that they've already been taught in Denmark.

I dont see photos of the home
There are two pics of the house in the gallery at the beginning of the article. Click on the picture of the family.

Is this Peter Warnoe's Chalet that they always used to stay in years ago. Or have they bought their own place or are they renting?
I hope Mary will get the chance to learn some French while staying over the 3 months.

Is this Peter Warnoe's Chalet that they always used to stay in years ago. Or have they bought their own place or are they renting? .

They bought and have owned a chalet in Verbier for more than 10 years which means that they didn't always stay in Peter Warnøe's chalet...
That's just something that the Danish press has always reported.

The Realityportalen article mentions that they purchased the chalet post the 2008 financial crisis and that it was rather dilapidated at the time of the purchase which meant it wasn't nearly as expensive as chalets in Verbier usually are.

They bought and have owned a chalet in Verbier for more than 10 years which means that they didn't always stay in Peter Warnøe's chalet...
That's just something that the Danish press has always reported.

Thanks for that Nordic. I am only ten years out of date. ? I must have missed reading about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom