General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 15: January 2016 - August 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially interesting is the bear container for honey as I have never seen these outside Canada. For Danish members, are such honey containers readily available in Copenhagen or did the family pick this up during their trip to Toronto and Montréal?:lol:
They are available at least here in the Copenhagen area :flowers:

Vogue Australia has hit the streets today and Daily Mail has more on the actual article and what is being said: Crown Princess Mary strikes a solemn figure alongside husband Frederik in Vogue | Daily Mail Online

ADDED: I understand from glancing other royal sites that this issue of Vogue is basically themed about Denmark, with focus (and adverts) on Danish products and concepts. In that context M&F is so to speak the icing on the cake.

ADDED: The editorial from Vogue: http://www.vogue.com.au/blogs/editors+blogs/editors+letter+august+2016,39602

Last edited:
The issue focuses on Denmark, so a good tie in is the Crown Princess. I look forward to reading more on the interview. thank you JessRulz :flowers:

From the pictures, this one of their profiles is fantastic! elegant and classic
https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=5810eeee66767942ae5e7eaf9ce3e733&oe=57F71991
I guess they took it around the time this one came out of them walking
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t...g?ig_cache_key=MTI0NzMxMTU0NDM0Mjc2NzI5Nw==.2
Frederik wearing more of this uniform is something I can get behind;)

with Mario and the editor
http://imageupper.com/s02/1/4/L1468248848312919_1.jpg

from the picture of Josephine we can wee the gold bracelet that the girls in DRF wear
http://66.media.tumblr.com/66cc1e26b879d679dc22e1046cd93f34/tumblr_oa4nrupgmS1uvoe9to6_250.jpg

wonderful pictures.

:previous:

Yes there was quite a bit of Danish focus in this edition of Vogue. Which made a good tie in to the overall theme of Mary's interview.

I've taken photos of the interview pages, excluded some of the photos already seen/circulating.
Page One ** Page Two ** Page Three ** Page Four ** Page Five ** Page Six ** Page Seven ** Page Eight

Thank you very much, JessRulz. :flowers:

As a Dane and a royalist I couldn't be more pleased. :)
If that's the gist of the whole magazine, they'll be smiling broadly in the Ministry of Commerce as well. :D - There is a saying in DK: Many little brooks make a big river. Such a feature being one of these brooks.
It was not an in-depth article a such, but the facts were correct. Especially the hard bit about DK planning and expecting to be independent from fossil fuel by 2050.
The photos in the magazine were better I think than those published so far. I found the photo of M&F in profile very good. But the photo of Mary standing behind her desk was actually elegantly sexy.

Thank for the photos, Polyesco. :flowers:
Frederik in his navy summer dress uniform, then life can hardly be much better, eh? ;):p

Last edited:
:previous: agree.
and thank you again JessRulz for the interview. A well done interview focusing on her work and Denmark's efforts. Both the Copenhagen Fashion Summit and Women Deliver conferences were highlighted as well as Denmark's lead in wind farms.

Love the little story of during their photo shoot, nearby Danes recognizes them and pulled in closer to the boat, Frederik gave them a warm greeting as if they were lifelong friends. Reminds me of the stories of King Frederik and him enjoying a beer and chat with the local sailors

and again the profile photo of them together is so nice. classic and elegant

Thank you very much Jess for scanning the article for us. I read your scans and they were quite interesting. I particularly liked Mary's quote "I am a voice for the voiceless". I've always thought the Danish CP family were rather down to earth, but Mary particularly seems to be quite humble. I liked the black and white portraits of Frederik and Mary, they are regal and sophisticated; and also rather classic looking.

Thank you very much JessRulz :flowers:

I enjoyed reading the interview which indeed can only make a Dane satisfied. Good focus on our country.

Crown Princess Mary may be bad to recieve praise, but she certainly deserves it. She said after the wedding she would make a difference and would do her best to earn her title - and she really has!

Good pictures! The one of Frederik and Mary in profile is beautiful and the one of Mary behind her desk indeed nice.

My internet connection is bad (I'm on vacation) but your scans are appreciated, JessRulz.

Last edited:
Thank you very much JessRulz :flowers:

I enjoyed reading the interview which indeed can only make a Dane satisfied. Good focus on our country.

Crown Princess Mary may be bad to recieve praise, but she certainly deserves it. She said after the wedding she would make a difference and would do her best to earn her title - and she really has!

Good pictures! The one of Frederik and Mary in profile is beautiful and the one of Mary behind her desk indeed nice.

My internet connection is bad (I'm on vacation) but your scans are appreciated, JessRulz.
I also add my thanks for the easily readable scans so that those of us outside Oz can share the magazine content! A very interesting interview; not only profiling the Danes but also the Australian connection! I am intrigued whether the magazine has a larger than usual readership in the normally republican Oz?:flowers::lol:

They are available at least here in the Copenhagen area :flowers:

Thanks! Next time I buy one I will check if it was made in DK:lol::flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
The full transcript of the Vogue interview can be seen on the blog :kronprinsenfrederik.tumblr.com.

The little honey bear containers are available in the eastern US, too. Empty ones can be purchased on amazon.com under the title 'plastic squeeze bottles.' If amazon.com doesn't have it, you can probably get along without it. :flowers:

ETA: all of the pictures from Vogue are with the article, too. Including another one of F & M walking in the shadows, this time facing forward. Too bad there's a shadow on Frederik's face which gives him a most unfortunate-looking mustache. Of all the photoshopping they did, why couldn't they fix that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, the serious Berlingske bring a large interview with Crown Prince Frederik in connection with the Olympic Games in next month.

Crown Prince Frederik in large OL interview: OL reminds me of when I met Mary
Kronprins Frederik i stort interview: OL minder mig om dengang, jeg mødte Mary

The memories of the meeting with Mary at the Olympics is still strong for the Crown Prince.

While Crown Prince Frederik dreamed of being active exercises at the Olympic Games, the meeting with Mary Donaldson on Sydney Harbour is still his strongest Olympic memory

That tells the Danish Crown Prince in an interview with Berlingske today.

Crown Prince Frederik met his woman in 2000, when he visited Australia in connection with the Olympic Games in Sydney. But although the couple's meeting at the games stands as a strong memory, they haven't had so much time to go to the Olympics together in the years after.

"(...) My wife has not been so much to the Olympics since, because she has had to be mother for small children almost since then. But yes, that's special, although I want to say that it's even more when we are in Sydney Harbour that our memories from the Olympics in 2000 are being refreshed. It was there the Olympics at the time were hold, and everything was just fantastic. It was the first time I was in Australia, there was full press activities all day long, and that it also is there you meet your future wife ... well, it was perfect," says the Crown Prince.

You can read the entire interview with Frederik here - a good interview of Frederik and the Olympic Games:

»Jeg har aldrig givet op« - Sport | www.b.dk

:previous: thank you Roskilde, I look forward to reading the interview.
What a nice quote. We can see how clearly the Olympics mean to him, to both.

I would like to echo Polyesco's comments. When I finished reading what Fred said I thought Awww isn't that nice. Of course the Athens Olympics in 2004 -They hadn't started a family by then. And so they enjoyed the time together. I like the way the DRF use the Dannebrog as a floating hotel when they visit countries for a long period of time. (Such as the Olympics) She is like a home away from home.
I remember when in Sydney in 2000 His Excellency Mr Samaranch's (Olympic boss) view of the Sydney Harbour Bridge was blocked from his Hotel Suite by a big Cruise ship. Guess What!! They had it moved so his view was unimpeded.:whistling:

I also add my thanks for the easily readable scans so that those of us outside Oz can share the magazine content! A very interesting interview; not only profiling the Danes but also the Australian connection! I am intrigued whether the magazine has a larger than usual readership in the normally republican Oz?:flowers::lol:

I don't think it is going to be a best-seller gerry - I've just been to the supermarket, and there are stacks and stacks of copies still sitting on the shelves.

And this is in a middle-class suburb of Sydney, not a country town or regional centre where "Vogue" would have a smaller reach I think.

This week's "New Idea" and "Woman's Day" magazines are almost sold out - and they were only published two days ago.

One of those has a colourful spread of the family at Legoland - lots of photos I haven't seen on the internet.

(This wasn't a cover story, so I don't think it had any impact on the sales of that magazine though.)

I also don't think it is the price.

"Vogue" is going for $8.50, whereas most people who buy "New Idea" also buy "Woman's Day" - and that would cost around $35.00 a month.

The republican thing is such a dead horse that those still flogging it here in Oz should be up for animal cruelty. I don't think that would influence sales/lack of sales.

Perhaps the cover was too dark against all the more colourful magazines around it.

Australia is a big magazine market - very cut throat.Many magazines are out every week here, that are never mentioned on TRFs, so I don't think it is a general lack of interest in magazines.

Perhaps they printed more copies than usual.

But in any case, they don't seem to be selling.

P.S. - I've also seen many copies still on the shelves of my two local newsagents - (in a different suburb) - but only one copy of the Duchess of Cambridge's UK "Vogue".

Though that may have been out longer, and probably there were less copies to begin with, being an imported magazine. (Though more expensive at $12.99.)

Last edited:
My news agent had sold out a few days ago

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

My news agent had sold out a few days ago

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Perhaps the supermarket overstocked royal rob.

And they went to the trouble of sealing each copy in a plastic bag, whereas the ones at the newsagents weren't wrapped.

A very nicely done issue too with it's double-front cover.

Quality paper and much more impact with the full-page photos than the computer screen is able to show.

It's still a few weeks before the next month's version comes out, so hopefully more will be sold.

Last edited:
:previous: great little article
I always like these ones of the couple from the 2012 Olympics
http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m837k8VVHF1qgmfwso3_r1_500.jpg
http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m837k8VVHF1qgmfwso4_r1_500.jpg
and of course a nice place to rest your head
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/71/cf/e5/71cfe5913f995372cbe77a918a9cb9c7.jpg ;)
Shame Mary will only be in Rio up to the first day of competitions, as the kids go back to school that week. Frederik in his recent interview said how much he enjoys the Olympics and admires the athletes

The article says not only did she loose her accent, but she now has a strong Danish accent and struggles with some English words.

I'm not sure how you can be born, raised and work in an English speaking country, have English speaking family and friends, and now struggle with the language.

:previous: I think the problem comes when she is switching back and forward between English and Danish. Moving around the Olympics she's mixing with both Danes and Aussies and switching back and forward all the time must be exhausting.

I am not sure if her learning Danish was by full emersion but if she has reached the stage that she is both thinking and speaking Danish, things could get muddled, especially if she is excited.

I imagine it must be quite difficult when you adopt a new language to the extent that it becomes the spoken one full time and you start to actually think in it(!) to keep your original one up to speed. Your accent will also most likely change accordingly over time.

People who just move from one english speaking country to another often take on - at least partially - the accent of their new home over time!

Regarding who she would support at Rio I think Mary could have played it a bit more enigmatically.

To quote a former gaelic football manager here on who his young family would be cheering on when the county he was managing was meeting his home county ..... "Cheering on one and praying for the other ..... they didn't tell me which was which!"

I think it's a matter of switching between two languages.
I've often noted how Mary's Danish is less articulated and her accent is heavier if she's been traveling and speaking English a lot.

I usually think in English when I visit this board, but if I'm for whatever reason distracted I tend to write Danglish.

I imagine it must be quite difficult when you adopt a new language to the extent that it becomes the spoken one full time and you start to actually think in it(!) to keep your original one up to speed. Your accent will also most likely change accordingly over time.
Of course the accent changes. Mary has lived in Denmark for 14 years now.

She speaks and functions in Danish day after day after day. Without going totally OT, maybe it's for her like it was for me at one point, switching between two languages, if she suddenly starts to speak English, it might feel that she doesn't find the right words to everything and has a Danish accent.
Then if she speaks English more, she sort of reverts back to being the English speaking she once was. Sorry, don't know how to describe it properly. ;)

Last edited:
I have noticed this for,a,long time when she speaks English. Correct me if I'm wrong Danes, but to me, it seems as if she is speaking English more like her husband, with his Danish accented English, which would be perfectly normal.couples begin to merge after a while IMO

I =don't think she has but Danish is a very hard sounding language and must have been a real challenge for her to learn and to me she sounds perfect with her Danish and naturally her mother tongue will suffer but that is the way the is ... she has chosen her perfect life there but I think still has the accent

Just last week I had to go to see my mother unfortunately she is not doing well, so when I arrive there I had to take Uber and I went to the bank and both ask me from what country I am from, I said from here, and both answer but you have an accent. I guess after so many years (20 )leaving in other countries I got an accent with my own language. After I started to ask my family and friends and all agree that I have an accent.
Although I have a friend where we leave that she grow up in the same contry and we talk very often, still I got an accent.
So all that being said I guess it is the same for Mary....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom