General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 15: January 2016 - August 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^ My bad. You're right, Fred is there but not Mary

^^^ My bad. You're right, Fred is there but not Mary

Frederik is, as usual, watching tennis with his friend Christian Buchwald.
Maybe Mary and Elisabeth Buchwald are out on the town. ;)

Looks like Frederik has had a good day at Wimbledon.

Frederik usually visit Wimbledon one day every summer with Christian Buchwald - it also fits with he has an official event home in Copenhagen tomorrow before he can return the Mary and children in Gråsten.

I think Mary and the children have stayed in Gråsten until dad comes back tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to everyone for the links. A busy summer of sport,- Wimbledon and Le Tour de France. Our Football then Rio games. Some late nights for us (Australians) coming up.

:previous: Here's the link.
First look: Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Denmark cover Vogue Australia’s August 2016 issue - Vogue Australia

love the sweet picture with their kids.
Love that she uses this opportunity as a platform for her work

"Going on to discuss sustainable fashion and the rights of workers in the garment industry, which was at top of mind as HRH opened theCopenhagen Fashion Summit*just after the shoot, she said, “It will take time to create real and sustainable change. If we are talking about the textile and fashion industry, it is one of the most female-dominated industries in the world and yet many of these working women are voiceless. I do use the platform I have built up over the years as a vocal and passionate voice for the empowerment of women and girls and the protection and respect of their human rights to bring attention to this.”*

I love the cover photo of Mary and Frederik; and the family photo in the article posted by polyesco is so sweet and has a warm feel to it. IIRC Mario Testino took Princess Charlotte of Cambridge's christening photos as well. It would be interesting to read the full spread, I wonder if it will ever be available online (I live in England and I don't know if the Australian edition of Vogue would be on sale here).

Wow Cover of Vogue! I will definately buy this one. I like the photo with the children, but really love the photo with a handsome (never aging) Prince, an interesting gown but the dappled light from the trees makes this shot romantic and slightly mysterious. Wonderful. A poster of this would look great. The Almost Sepia tone of this photo looks very clever.

Last edited:
my thoughts on M&F posing for magazines such as vogue and the like are well known, so i won't mention that again. i enjoyed seeing these pictures from mario testino, there had been rumours for some months on pictures of them taken by him, so i wondered if there was truth in them - i guess now we have the answer! i liked the family pic, but have to admit that the picture under the trees isn't my favourite. i like the idea behind it, but i think the shadows make both the faces of M&F look strange - mary's chin protruding too much, fred's eyes look different to his. i liked that they donned their full gala attire, tiaras and all - after all, this is what people think of when they think of princes and princesses. the fabric of mary's dress is interesting, i have no doubt she will probably wear it again at some point in the future so will be interesting to know what it is made of.

Again the family photo is wonderful. Such genuine smiles. You can feel the positive energy. It's nice that she uses a fashion magazine like Vogue that reaches many to promote the topic of sustainability in the fashion industry, which Denmark takes a big part in. A great platform. Pose for some pictures but her serious message is coming across

Article from dailymail
Crown Princess Mary stuns on the cover of Vogue Australia | Daily Mail Online

"McCann said the Crown Princess 'kindly welcomed' Vogue Australia into her home, despite it being 12 years since their first encounter.*'I have enormous admiration for both HRH Crown Prince Frederik and HRH Crown Princess Mary and the work they do,' McCann said.*

'We discovered a woman at ease with her public life and position, who is driven to use her influence and the privilege it awards her to further causes close to her heart: gender equality and sustainability.*

'She is knowledgeable, fiercely intelligent and well-informed about the issues. The Crown Princess is making her mark as a world leader and passionate advocate in these areas. With her energy and drive I suspect this is still only the beginning of the enormous contribution she will make"

Last edited:
The photos are charming, even though I think Mario Testino is severely overrated: always the same poses, and the photoshopping is just too much. These are healthy, well cared for, well groomed people (and children after all) and now they just look like... dolls or something. Absolutely unnecessary.

I also don't get why this whole Australian Vogue thing is needed. I would completely understand it if it were for Frederik & Mary's enthronement. (I know only F. succeeds his mother but let's face it, M.'s just as important for the media and image machine). Why does this family need such an exposure in Australian magazines (formerly also Woman's Weekly, Australian Vogue and German Vogue)?

It would be so interesting to know how this works exactly: who approaches whom and what are the advices given.

The photos are charming, even though I think Mario Testino is severely overrated: always the same poses, and the photoshopping is just too much. These are healthy, well cared for, well groomed people (and children after all) and now they just look like... dolls or something. Absolutely unnecessary.

I also don't get why this whole Australian Vogue thing is needed. I would completely understand it if it were for Frederik & Mary's enthronement. (I know only F. succeeds his mother but let's face it, M.'s just as important for the media and image machine). Why does this family need such an exposure in Australian magazines (formerly also Woman's Weekly, Australian Vogue and German Vogue)?

It would be so interesting to know how this works exactly: who approaches whom and what are the advices given.

I think the children look natural and happy. We Aussies love Mary and any mag with her photo on it sells and therefore her causes are highlighted
Beautiful photos beautiful family

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

spot on, same thoughts here!

I don't think the family "need" an exposure in Australian magazines. Why would they?

Judging from the excerpt, this interview happend because of Copenhagen Fashion Summit (and WD2016 conference). Vogue and Mario Testino were at the summit, which Mary is patron of.
The interview took place just before the opening of the summit.

These interviews are not, IMO, done just for the sake of it and some nice pics. Mary does have something to say, which can't be said for all the royals who are in Vogue articles.

Simply because Mary still feels close to the country she was raised in. You take Mary out of Australia, but you cannot take the Australian out of Mary. Frederick himself has on my occasions spoken of the admiration he has for this country and how he cannot believe how quickly we have accepted him as one of us. He loves it here and loves the warmth of the people.

If Mary had turned her back on Australia, believe me, this kind of publicity would not occur. And in most of the cases, it is Mary inviting Vogue Australia and the Australian Womens Weekly into her home.

I don't think the family "need" an exposure in Australian magazines. Why would they?

Judging from the excerpt, this interview happend because of Copenhagen Fashion Summit (and WD2016 conference). Vogue and Mario Testino were at the summit, which Mary is patron of.
The interview took place just before the opening of the summit.

These interviews are not, IMO, done just for the sake of it and some nice pics. Mary does have something to say, which can't be said for all the royals who are in Vogue articles.

Exactly. Spot on.
I don't see Frederik and Mary just posing, they use these photo shoots as vehicles and platforms to get their causes across.
Vogue has a huge outreach and it looks like the interview will focus on sustainability in the fashion industry .

"Going on to discuss sustainable fashion and the rights of workers in the garment industry, which was at top of mind as HRH opened the Copenhagen Fashion Summit*just after the shoot, she said, “It will take time to create real and sustainable change. If we are talking about the textile and fashion industry, it is one of the most female-dominated industries in the world and yet many of these working women are voiceless. I do use the platform I have built up over the years as a vocal and passionate voice for the empowerment of women and girls and the protection and respect of their human rights to bring attention to this.”*

And judging from her work, the commitment and knowledge is there .

It's pretty obvious to me that this is about PR in Australia.
It's not something where M&F one day woke up and decided to appear in Australian Vogue. It's calculated and aimed at a certain segment of Australians and also as wide a segment as possible.

Over the years I've learned that while Women's Weekly and women's whatever would dream about an interview with M&F they are simply not serious enough to be trusted to write two serious sentences in a row.
And as for the Australian papers. While such an interview would be read, I don't think that it would hit right in the middle of the target audience in Australia. I.e. women.

So how serious is Vogue compared to other magazines in Australia?
Who are the readers?
Is Vogue considered trustworthy - again compared to other magazines?
How would the average reader react to this article in this magazine, rather than in another women's magazine?

- And here our Australian friends come in. :)

It's pretty obvious to me that this is about PR in Australia.
It's not something where M&F one day woke up and decided to appear in Australian Vogue. It's calculated and aimed at a certain segment of Australians and also as wide a segment as possible.

Over the years I've learned that while Women's Weekly and women's whatever would dream about an interview with M&F they are simply not serious enough to be trusted to write two serious sentences in a row.
And as for the Australian papers. While such an interview would be read, I don't think that it would hit right in the middle of the target audience in Australia. I.e. women.

So how serious is Vogue compared to other magazines in Australia?
Who are the readers?
Is Vogue considered trustworthy - again compared to other magazines?
How would the average reader react to this article in this magazine, rather than in another women's magazine?

- And here our Australian friends come in. :)

Mary HAS given interviews to the Australian Women's Weekly! The AWW is not the trashy magazines like New Idea and Woman's Day. Vogue Australia rates higher than AWW.

I think you need to realise that the average Australian woman, including myself, have a lot more in common with Mary than Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. Why? Because she's Australian. That is why AWW have interviewed her many times over the past 12 years. Mary is 9 years older than me and Catherine is 3 months younger than me. Yet I can relate to Mary a lot more. Mary and my background are more aligned than mine and Catherine's.

In this case, Frederik and Mary are targetting Vogue Australia because of their platform - fashion sustainability. This has been a MAJOR issue in Australia due to our geographical location - we are a lot closer to South-East Asia and the Subcontinent than the US or Europe, where issues with big fashion houses using these countries because of the low wages, etc.

I hope this explanation helps :flowers:

Thanks, CrownPrincessJava. :flowers:

Most helpful. :)
I must confess that I don't know enough about Australian magazines to distinguish between them, so I didn't know Women's Weekly is more serious than the others.

I should very much like to read a summary. Hint, hint, Aussies. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks, CrownPrincessJava. :flowers:

Most helpful. :)
I must confess that I don't know enough about Australian magazines to distinguish between them, so I didn't know Women's Weekly is more serious than the others.

I should very much like to read a summary. Hint, hint, Aussies. ;)

My pleasure Muhler :flowers:

What is the Danish equivalent of Vogue, and does Mary do this sort of thing in Denmark or just Australia?

The photos are nice but typical of Testino in that he uses heavy photoshop and image manipulation.

Last edited:
:previous: As in high-class fashion magazines?
Or the more serious women's mags?

As for the last question, the answer is yes. Not only Mary but our Marie as well.
And also the more serious men's mags, where Frederik has been featured.
Euroman and Eurowoman being examples of such magazines.

As for fashion. I could ask Mrs. Muhler, but she's on her way to London, so other Danish members must take over here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom