General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 14: September 2015 - December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Sun Lion though I an Australian you put it all together very nicely .. but you did forget one ting on Boxing Day ... the Boxing Day Test [lol] and Australian Tradition will Frederick watch I wonder... oh! it is cricket.
But I again say your words are really charming ...

Hi Muhler, Roskilde, bertie5252003 -

You are so right about the cricket and summer in Australia bertie5252003 - I don't know how I forgot it, seeing it's been on telly all week already.

The sound of an Australian summer Roskilde is the broadcast of the cricket whether you are at home, in a pub, at the caravan park or even these days in the food court of a shopping centre.

If the cricket is on, summer is here!

The school holidays in Tasmania have been changed in recent years Muhler from a three term year to a four term year and so the children go back in early February now - a shame because the best weather days are in that month.

A lot of parents now have to work on Christmas Eve, though their companies may close at lunch that day, or early afternoon, but school breaks up earlier in December.

Private schools seem to break up and return a week or so earlier than the state government schools.

I hope CP Mary and her family don't have to settle for a flying visit to Tasmania.

The nice thing about summer is the lazy days of doing nothing very much at the beach, the shack, the caravan - or if you stay home, just in the garden.

At least in Tasmania you don't have to spend summer indoors.

I've had years of every second summer in Adelaide in South Australia.

Some days there you have the blinds drawn against the sun and sit in front of the air-conditioner watching movies. (Or go to the shopping centres which are air-conditioned.)

Last edited:
You didn't miss anything.

It was obviously fake and completely made up by the media, I assume.

It's great that F&M get to spend Christmas in Tassie this year. The timing makes sense. Their kids are older and it ties in perfectly with Jane's 50th birthday.

:previous: Thanks, Sun Lion. :flowers:

Your descriptions help those of us who are winter-challenged to understand the atmosphere when Australia goes into summer-holiday-mode.

I wouldn't surprise if Mary, Frederick and children quit their holiday in Australia at some point. Australian press became very intrusive. I can't imagine their 3 weeks in Australia without very privat photos in local magazines.

They managed it last time they visited I cant see how it will be any different from what they have been exposed to at home. If anything its easier to avoid the paps as Australia has some really remote places. One of the previous visits they rented a property for the whole family and Paps didnt get anywhere near it. So Im sure it wont be a problem.

I'll be in Tasmania for christmas and New Year. We are having christmas morning at home opening presents and almond croissants and coffee for breakfast. Then its off to friends for turkey, potatoes (always at least 2 kinds we love our taters in tassie) greens such as brusselsprouts. For dessert we have summer pudding and fresh cream. For dinner and boxing day we have cold cut ham salad. Brakfast the day after christmas is christmas cake and coffee. We eat the leftovers for the week finishing the ham on new years eve if there is any left!

In my experience, there is not much of importance happening in schools the lasts week (or two) before Christmas (and summer) holiday. Maybe it's different in Denmark?

M&F have been patrons of some events that they have not (been able to) attended. Maybe Frederik is present at the opening (5th?) and that's that.

I think so too, for missing school. They are still young Christian and Isabella, that they wont miss too much. Im sure a homework packet can be prepared. Plus its the first time, I dont think they will be able to do this again, spend Christmas in Australia, at least for a long time.
at least 11 years since Mary spent Christmas with her family, Im sure she is beyond excited. :)

I thought Frederik might attend the opening of the handball tournament on the 5th but the regency dates were changed. He was going to be regent until the 6th but now its until the 4th.
But like you said its not the first time for F&M to be patrons but not being able to attend (its rare that they miss)

and thank you Sun Lion for the wonderful posts on Christmas in Australia:flowers: Im sure the family will enjoy, they are an outdoorsy family.

at least 11 years since Mary spent Christmas with her family, Im sure she is beyond excited. :)

Not sure, but I think it's as long as 14 years since Mary spent Christmas in Australia/Tasmania. Counting from when they met in 2000.

Not sure, but I think it's as long as 14 years since Mary spent Christmas in Australia/Tasmania. Counting from when they met in 2000.

thanks. I just remembered that they spent 2003 in Denmark.
Not sure on the other years before, I thought i had read she spent 2002 in Australia. :flowers:

Either way it will be big to be able to spend Christmas again in Australia.
A photo of the CP family in Tasmania in 2011 (not in Christmas though), that Mary shared for her 40th birthday.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YbA69uAdD...U/VEX92PJmyh0/s1600/W13285180712544851_10.jpg
It's about time the kids return ;)

Not sure on the other years before, I thought i had read she spent 2002 in Australia. :flowers:
2001 was in the UK, Oxford I think, with her father and Susan and New Year in Copenhagen.
Years ago, I read somewhere, that Mary had spent Christmas 2002 with the family at Marselisborg, but the press and public didn't know about it at the time.
She had met Queen M for the first time spring 2002 and had got "the green light".
I can't remember where I've read it or if it's true, of course.

I've been chatting with another member and after having rubbed my forehead against a wall I have a prediction to make. Mary will travel straight to Tasmania in a few days with the twins only.
The weekend before Christmas Frederik will fly in with Christian and Bella. In that case they won't miss school, or at least no more than a day or two and he can still be present at the handball-thing.
Is CP Frederik supposed to fly with his heir Prince Christian?

:previous: There is no law saying that he can't. It's just been the standard practice.
But as flying has become such a safe way of travel and as this isn't Greenland with bad weather, it wouldn't be that big an issue IMO. After all if Mary travel with the twins, there would still be two spares to take over in the worst case scenario.
And they have traveled and even flown together before.

Ok! However, I think that the last time all 4 left Tasmania, CP Mary flew with Christian and Josephine while CP Frederik flew with Isabella and Vincent.

Hi Muhler, Roskilde, bertie5252003 -

You are so right about the cricket and summer in Australia bertie5252003 - I don't know how I forgot it, seeing it's been on telly all week already.

The sound of an Australian summer Roskilde is the broadcast of the cricket whether you are at home, in a pub, at the caravan park or even these days in the food court of a shopping centre.

If the cricket is on, summer is here!

The school holidays in Tasmania have been changed in recent years Muhler from a three term year to a four term year and so the children go back in early February now - a shame because the best weather days are in that month.

A lot of parents now have to work on Christmas Eve, though their companies may close at lunch that day, or early afternoon, but school breaks up earlier in December.

Private schools seem to break up and return a week or so earlier than the state government schools.

I hope CP Mary and her family don't have to settle for a flying visit to Tasmania.

The nice thing about summer is the lazy days of doing nothing very much at the beach, the shack, the caravan - or if you stay home, just in the garden.

At least in Tasmania you don't have to spend summer indoors.

I've had years of every second summer in Adelaide in South Australia.

Some days there you have the blinds drawn against the sun and sit in front of the air-conditioner watching movies. (Or go to the shopping centres which are air-conditioned.)

Sun Lion, reading your post reminded me of something. The new movies come out on Boxing Day of Christmas week. (They normally come out on Thursday) It's common for people to go to the Cinema between Christmas and New Year.

I would say arriving in Tasmania :flowers:

Similar article by BB
Kronprinsesse Mary og kronprins Frederik: Australien glæder sig | BILLED-BLADET

and a nice gallery of Frederik and Mary in Australia
SE BILLEDERNE: Kronprinsesse Mary og kronprins Frederik elsker Australien | BILLED-BLADET
you can tell they enjoy their time there even if it was during official events.

Now this picture is just perfection, they both look so good :cool::cool:
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...c/storage_1/media/bb-874278.jpg?itok=yYs1L6Uj

Yes polyesco - "in" Tasmania.

Though Tasmania has more than three hundred other islands around it Muhler, and people would then say "on" for those.

(So, "he arrived in Tasmania last week", but, "he has a property on Flinders", "they have a house on King Island" etc.)

So right about the big movies opening on Boxing Day lise.

Another thing I forgot is that a lot of people now light up their houses and yards.

The newspapers print the addresses of the houses and people go out as it gets dark - around 9.00pm if the sky is clear.

One person navigates and one person drives and everyone else squeezes in the back - or you take a load in a second car.

Little children, grandparents and everyone in between - and off you go for a few hours ooing and aahing at the marvels people have created.

Nodding mechanical reindeer grazing on the lawn, a pair of boots and red trousers half-way down the chimney showing Santa's got stuck again etc.

Some council have competitions for the best house.

No international flights go to Hobart now, so I guess the CP Family will have to change planes in either Melbourne or Sydney.

I wonder if the children will be allowed to have a look around the duty-free at Dubai - most flights between Europe and Australia now stop for a short time at Dubai.

It would be a bit gob-smacking for them with all the colourful Middle Eastern items. Camel's milk chocolate anyone?

Last edited:
A photo of the CP family in Tasmania in 2011 (not in Christmas though), that Mary shared for her 40th birthday.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YbA69uAdD...U/VEX92PJmyh0/s1600/W13285180712544851_10.jpg
It's about time the kids return ;)

There was also a photo from this trip polyesco of CP Mary on the beach with one little twin stapped to the front and the other on her back.

I always thought that photo was from Spring Beach where Mary's sister Jane has her holiday home.

I was looking at the website for "Blue Lake Lodge" at Lake Arthur in the highlands of Tasmania the other day.

It was reported this is where the family slipped off to, away from the reporters and photographers on one of their previous visits.

They've also been reported as being seen in Strahan on the west coast before.

I wonder if they've made it to Cradle Moutain and Dove Lake - an easy bushwalk for the children now they're older if they stay on the boardwalk.

Last edited:
Things they might do is go to Port Arthur Historic Site or unzoo probably MONA and taste of tasmania other than that just relaxing I guess. My house is just up the road from them Im looking forward to seeing them out and about. Hope the paps dont ruin it. Tassie is a very laidback not into airs and graces I think thats why Fred seems to enjoy it when he has been here.

Now helenbeee, I for one am hoping you will forgo any holiday activities of your own so you can get straight onto The Royal Forums with you're reports of the Royal comings and goings down the road. :lol::lol::lol:

(Have a great holiday and seriously, I hope you see CP Mary or her family members at least once.)

There was also a photo from this trip polyesco of CP Mary on the beach with one little twin stapped to the front and the other on her back.

I always thought that photo was from Spring Beach where Mary's sister Jane has her holiday home.

I was looking at the website for "Blue Lake Lodge" at Lake Arthur in the highlands of Tasmania the other day.

It was reported this is where the family slipped off to, away from the reporters and photographers on one of their previous visits.

They've also been reported as being seen in Strahan on the west coast before.

I wonder if they've made it to Cradle Moutain and Dove Lake - an easy bushwalk for the children now they're older if the stay on the boardwalk.

This one?
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XUUoQsZWv...fE/r2aUFEcbLkk/s1600/W13285180712544851_8.jpg
the landscape looks amazing

Sun Lion, you ought to be a reporter. :)
Your descriptions are so vivid.

Now, we simply have to have an illustrated guide to Australian/Tasmanian Christmas. If not here, then in the Christmas thread.

Cheers Muhler.

Has there been any word of when the CP family are to depart Denmark - or will we only know when they are spotted somewhere?

I saw the very large and beautiful Christmas tree CP Mary lit up in Copenhagen - very nice to have a real tree.

I'm of the generation who grew up with real trees, always making the house smell of pine and such a Christmas smell that you don't get with artificial trees.

(But didn't our poor mothers bemoan all the dropped needles and the mess, and didn't the cats of the house need to climb and explore - such dramas.)

Sydney has a very large tree inside a very grand old building called the "Queen Victoria Building" - artificial of course - but Swarovski put a million dollars worth of crystal ornaments on it every year.

Our other city trees are all very stylised and not trying to look like a real tree but more like a tree symbol.

I wonder if Nicole Kidman is coming home this year - she has a flat on the other side of the train station from me and has again had someone put up her big blow-up Santa Claus on her balcony - so things are starting to get festive now.

Another tradition throughout Australia is "Carols by Candlelight" - perhaps you have that too - or maybe it is too cold for families to sit outside for hours on a Danish night.

:previous: I think you'll know before we do, Sun Lion.

As to carols with candles: Well, yes and no.
We don't go outside as families and sing, it's a bit too cold and too much trouble putting on warm clothes, so it's better to stay indoors.
But during December-evenings it happens very frequently, especially in the larger towns and cities, that groups of friends (often music students) take op position on balconies or other public place and sing a few Christmas songs.
Of course Salvation Army bands are also mobilized. - It adds to the festive spirit.

The American (or Disney, I'm not sure) tradition about children walking around in a neighborhood to knock on doors and sing for the residents, has AFAIK never been a tradition here.

Sun Lion, I, for one, would love to see a picture of the tree loaded with Swarovski crystals!

Muhler, I think the custom of caroling from door to door began in England, but I'm not sure. There are old carols that refer to ''wassailing'' (we've been awhile a-wandering among the leaves so green, but now we come a-wassailing, so plainly to be seen; for it's Christmas time when we wander far and near, may God bless you and send you a happy new year) Maybe some of our English members can enlighten us. I have never been ''caroled'' but my parents were. Surprisingly, it was their Amish and Mennonite neighbors who sang for them.

The Hispanic residents in our area sometimes do the custom of ''posada'' - not sure if that's the right word. Help, Polyesco! They reenact the story of Mary and Joseph looking for lodging by going from house to house.

It's time to revisit and update the Christmas customs thread! :wreath:

Perhaps CP Mary and her family will get to attend Hobart's "Carols by Candlelight" as they are having three events this year - two next weekend.

This is probably Australia's biggest Christmas tradition and events are held throughout December across all the towns and cities.

The very biggest one is from Melbourne and held on Christmas Eve. It is broadcast across national TV.

Sydney's is usually held the weekend before and called "Carols in the Domain" - and also broadcast.

I didn't realise the background, but there is a very nice wiki page about it.

A radio presenter in the 1930s in Melbourne, walking home, saw an old woman singing along to the radio by candlelight - and started to organise an outdoor event for all the people on their own at Christmas.

Now it is very common to go to your local "Carols by Candlelight" in your town park or other public place.

I hope the little Royals get the chance - it is a real Aussie Christmas thing.

Last edited:
The Hispanic residents in our area sometimes do the custom of ''posada'' - not sure if that's the right word. Help, Polyesco! They reenact the story of Mary and Joseph looking for lodging by going from house to house.

Yes Posadas!
gatherings of friends and family to eat, and sing Christmas songs. Some do prayers. It goes along with Mary and Joseph looking for a refuge and a place to give birth to baby Jesus.
Some go to different houses for 12 days (i think), each singing songs and looking for "refuge" like Mary and Joseph did. Think warm drinks, good food, and being together. Each night a different home.

Now back to Frederik and Mary. Today was the last day for Frederik being regent, Joachim has taken over for the weekend.
I think the family is making its way down under. Safe travels to them and I hope they enjoy their first Christmas in Australia :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom