General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 14: September 2015 - December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks again mitchell.

That's Amber Petty with them. (Amber was with them yesterday and has posted a photo of her koala cuddle time on her instagram.)

Perhaps there will be photos from their time at the beach now they are in a more populated area - and known to be there by the professional snappers. These photos were from just a few hours ago.

Last edited:
:previous:
I just want to give a huge Thank You to all for posting the links about the tigers and Dreamworld. I never knew about Kai until now and now knowing that 2 more of these very precious babies have been born is thrilling. I so love the animals of this world, and seeing that these beautiful tigers will always be safe and secure in this type of environment is great. Kai is one very beautiful tiger and I bet those 2 baby cubs will be such a delight.

I am sure that Mary and Frederik and the children are having a wonderful time and this will leave a very lasting impression on the children of this time together. Who knows maybe it will be something of a start towards the conversation of animals in one of them someday.

What a place Dreamworld must be, and to see it would be fabulous. Glad there are places on this earth that still cares for the animals of this world.
Thank you all for the trip!:flowers:

Is it assumed they flew from Western Australia to dreamworld, or possible that they drove there given the different times they were spotted? What a vacation for the kids, the twins would be just old enough to appreciate it. In the article about stopping in Bridgetown, I like that the waitress reported that one of the sons, Christian I assume, reminded his dad about what his mother wanted to order. Shows his English is very good.
And I love what Mary and Isabella wore to go shopping

Is it assumed they flew from Western Australia to dreamworld, or possible that they drove there given the different times they were spotted? What a vacation for the kids, the twins would be just old enough to appreciate it. In the article about stopping in Bridgetown, I like that the waitress reported that one of the sons, Christian I assume, reminded his dad about what his mother wanted to order. Shows his English is very good.
And I love what Mary and Isabella wore to go shopping

These are good questions for our Australian board members: would the famous 'convoy of 4 cars' have driven from southern Australia to the Gold Coast or is an airplane jaunt more likely? My first impression is the airplane version, bearing in mind the size of Australia; the impatience of young children (are we there yet?) and the heat of the Australian summer! However, not having visited Australia (yet!), perhaps I am wrong...and long distances in Australia are drive-able!:flowers::whistling::merryxmas: (we don't have any Australian smileys; does your Santa wear swimming trunks?):lol:

:previous: And little Josephine :flowers: The girls day out shopping.

What an experience this must be for the children - or the whole family - a trip/road trip through mother's homeland. Australia is a huge country, I bet there are many areas/places even Mary and her siblings have never seen. I'm pleased we are now talking over two weeks and they have only been spotted by private persons from time to time. Must be fun for the children to try spending Christmas Eve in 30/40 degrees.

Last edited:
These are good questions for our Australian board members: would the famous 'convoy of 4 cars' have driven from southern Australia to the Gold Coast or is an airplane jaunt more likely? My first impression is the airplane version, bearing in mind the size of Australia;
They were spotted at the Maritime Museum in Fremantle near Perth last Tuesday. I am guessing they flew from Perth.

These are good questions for our Australian board members: would the famous 'convoy of 4 cars' have driven from southern Australia to the Gold Coast or is an airplane jaunt more likely? Myfirst impression is the airplane version, bearing in mind the size of Australia; the impatience of young children (are we there yet?) and the heat of the Australian summer! However, not having visited Australia (yet!), perhaps I am wrong...and long distances in Australia are drive-able!:flowers::whistling::merryxmas: (we don't have any Australian smileys; does your Santa wear swimming trunks?):lol:

They would have flown gerry. Perhaps a private jet as they are with Danish friends and we haven't had any airline/airport sightings?

Plenty of Aussie Christmas cards every year with Santa Claus out bush with all the animals, surfing in his sunglasses, having his sleigh pulled by flying kangaroos.

Some people got themselves in the "Guiness Book of World Records" a week ago by having the biggest group of Santa Clauses surfing all together. Footage made the evening news.

Last edited:
Thanks again mitchell.

That's Amber Petty with them. (Amber was with them yesterday and has posted a photo of her koala cuddle time on her instagram.)

Perhaps there will be photos from their time at the beach now they are in a more populated area - and known to be there by the professional snappers. These photos were from just a few hours ago.

Thanks
Looks like someone snapped them on the beach
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/h...35/12345981_1665921163652458_1614939627_n.jpg

so now they are in eastern Australia ?
Closer to La Brisbane and Sydney

What an adventure for the kids. And a joy for Mary and Frederik .
Spending time with family and friends , learning about their mother's home country.
I'm sure this is something they had hope to do since they got married.

A special thanks to all our Australian posters, I'm learning so much :flowers:

Thanks
Looks like someone snapped them on the beach
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/h...35/12345981_1665921163652458_1614939627_n.jpg

so now they are in eastern Australia ?
Closer to La Brisbane and Sydney

What an adventure for the kids. And a joy for Mary and Frederik .
Spending time with family and friends , learning about their mother's home country.
I'm sure this is something they had hope to do since they got married.

A special thanks to all our Australian posters, I'm learning so much :flowers:

Thanks polyesco for the beach photos.

Can you see the skyscrapers in the background?

The Gold Coast/Surfer's Paradise is sometimes called "BrisVegas" as there are so many high-rise developments along the beach.

The Royal group fortunately missed "schoolies" which has just ended again.

Some students now go overseas to Bali or Fiji, but most spend "schoolies" in this area - different states have different break-up times so the crowds are staggered.

I'm wondering if they will spend the whole holiday on the mainland and not get to Tassie at all - though we are also in a heatwave at the moment, so summer is here too.

Last edited:
:previous: thanks Sun Lion

Maybe they are making their way down to Tasmania .
From west to east. And then further south.
Either way what an experience :flowers:

They would have flown gerry. Perhaps a private jet as they are with Danish friends and we haven't had any airline/airport sightings?

Plenty of Aussie Christmas cards every year with Santa Claus out bush with all the animals, surfing in his sunglasses, having his sleigh pulled by flying kangaroos.

Some people got themselves in the "Guiness Book of World Records" a week ago by having the biggest group of Santa Clauses surfing all together. Footage made the evening news.

Thanks for your insights Sun Lion! Santa and his kangaroos indeed. I found a youtube that gives an idea of what you mean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcokszy5k28
There is also a childrens' book appaently that explains how this works
Santa and his Brother Downunder
:lol::previous:

I just saw on the CBS evening news that it seems like most of Australia is on fire, the wildfires are out of control and all over the country because of the heat and hot weather. Wonder if Mary and Frederik will have to move or go elsewhere because of this.

Gerry, thank you for posting these.

Fancy the Oz embassy putting the kangaroos out for their Christmas decorations - very Aussie of them.

I wonder what the rest of Washington makes of that.

Your youtube Santa looks quite sedate.

A lot of Aussie Santas I've seen have their floral shirts on and their feet up on the esky with a stubbie cooler in their hand, accompanied by equally attired koalas in sunnies.

I think there is a market for these cards amongst the young British/Irish and European backpackers who are out here during summer - for them to send back to their winter-bound relatives. :lol:

Last edited:
I just saw on the CBS evening news that it seems like most of Australia is on fire, the wildfires are out of control and all over the country because of the heat and hot weather. Wonder if Mary and Frederik will have to move or go elsewhere because of this.

No they'll be right SnowBirds.

There were deadly bushfires around the Esperance area just before CP Mary and family arrived there.

This is normal for summer - though some summers have worse fires than other years.

No-one will leave an area unless they are under direct and immediate threat.

Gerry, thank you for posting these.

Fancy the Oz embassy putting the kangaroos out for their Christmas decorations - very Aussie of them.

I wonder what the rest of Washington makes of that.

Your youtube Santa looks quite sedate.

A lot of Aussie Santas I've seen have their floral shirts on and their feet up on the esky with a stubbie cooler in their hand, accompanied by equally attired koalas in sunnies.

I think there is a market for these cards amongst the young British/Irish and European backpackers who are out here during summer - for them to send back to their winter-bound relatives. :lol:

I for one would love to have at least a sample of such a card: now, Sun Lion, what is an esky? is a stubbie cooler a beer ? :cool::lol::flowers:

I for one would love to have at least a sample of such a card: now, Sun Lion, what is an esky? is a stubbie cooler a beer ? :cool::lol::flowers:

An esky is a rectangular plastic container - some are so large now they have wheels - that you take to the beach, bush, cricket match, barbie at someone's house etc, that has all your drinks in it.

On the way you stop at a service station and get a bag of ice and empty this in on top of the bottles and cans.

This keeps everything cold and icy for the rest of your outing.

They are very sturdy and make a good seat or foot rest too.

Yes gerry, a stubbie cooler is a small foam cylinder - in your football teams colours, or promoting a tourist spot etc - that you slip you cold can of beer or fizzy cordial into and it keeps your drink cold and icy till you've finished it.

I for one would love to have at least a sample of such a card:

There are lots of samples of Australian Christmas cards on "Google Images Australian Christmas Card Images" gerry.

My favorite is all the Aussie animals having a game of cricket at the beach.

(I'm on my tablet - can't post a link.)

Prince Christian was caught in a rip while swimming at the Gold Coast on Thursday and was almost lost.

It's Sunday evening here and the 6.00pm news has just broadcast details of how young Prince Christian got into difficulties when a rip knocked him off his feet.

CP Mary and family where swimming between the flags fortunately, and life-saver Nick Malcolm spotted Christian and was able to reach him in time and get him out.

Modest Nick did not want to speak on camera but another, older, member of his surf life-saving team spoke on camera about the incident.

It would have been a frightening experience for all involved.

Yahoo 7 has already posted a news report online about the near drowning of Prince Christian.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Sun Lion.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/a/304...scued-from-dangerous-rip-on-gold-coast-beach/
Article and video.

That's going to hit the news big time here in DK, when the journalists eventually wake up...

It happens all the time on the Jutland west coast here in DK as well at the cost of several tourists each year.
People underestimate the under current or step into horse holes. With the added danger of the water being colder.

Prince Christian was caught in a rip while swimming at the Gold Coast on Thursday and was almost lost.

Modest Nick did not want to speak on camera but another, older, member of his surf life-saving team spoke on camera about the incident.

Should he have blabbed to the press...?

Last edited:
Where were the adults in the family party who supposedly should have been keeping an eye on this young boy, where were his father or family friends?

:previous: Probably nearby.

But it only takes a moment and an overconfident ten year old...
It wouldn't surprise me the least bit if Frederik was already on the way out to Christian.

If Frederik was out in the water with Christian we can rest assured he got one serious dressing down by Mary later on! :hiding:
It was a scare and she will take it out on someone. That's how it is and that's how it should be. Frederik is an experienced husband, he'll just take it and they'll be fine.:p

It's also a learning experience for Christian. - Suddenly not being in control.

ADDED: And now at around 11.00 in the forenoon the combined and ever alert Danish world- press has finally woken up: http://www.b.dk/nationalt/australsk...ian-reddet-af-livredder-under-royal-juleferie
Nothing new though.

Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-old-son-swept-dangerous-rip-Gold-Coast.html

Last edited:
If I am understanding the story, nobody did anything wrong, this is an inherent risk when it comes to swimming in the ocean in that part of Australia. The only thing that could've been done differently was to forbade Christian from going into the ocean, or have someone swimming right beside Christian who is well-trained in the perils of those kinds of waters. If his father or a Danish protection officer was with him, then two people would've needed rescuing.

I think that the outcome of this is going to be praise for Australian lifeguards and a primer on the possible perils of swimming in those waters.

My brother happened to be walking right by them down the beach when all this unfolded...

Welcome to The Royal Forums HRHJAP.

Did your brother have any other details than those so far reported?

I've just seen an article saying CP Mary and CP Frederik were on the beach as the surf life-saver paddled Prince Christian back to safety, in a "distressed" state.

(Fully understandable.)

Thank you Sun Lion!

He wasn't paying too much attention, the beach was very quiet and there wasn't a big commotion and at the time he wasn't aware of who they were but from what i gather.. Frederik was in the water when it happened and Mary was on the sand with Isabella and Josephine and another lady. They were very panicky when it was all going down. Afterwards though, all of them including Christian were fine and Frederik and Mary were getting their photo taken by the other lady they were with, while the kids continued playing on the sand (Minus Vincent, according to my brother he wasn't around). Afterwards, Mary and the other lady were also pointing out into the ocean and Mary said "i'll let the lifeguard know" (not sure what they were talking about? Maybe where the rip was?) That's basically all they're reporting and all i know, like i said my brother didn't hang around too much!

Also, when my brother passed them before it happened, Christian had a surfboard.

Last edited:
Thank you Sun Lion!

He wasn't paying too much attention, the beach was very quiet and there wasn't a big commotion and at the time he wasn't aware of who they were but from what i gather.. Frederik was in the water when it happened and Mary was on the sand with Isabella and Josephine and another lady. They were very panicky when it was all going down. Afterwards though, all of them including Christian were fine and Frederik and Mary were getting their photo taken by the other lady they were with, while the kids continued playing on the sand (Minus Vincent, according to my brother he wasn't around). Afterwards, Mary and the other lady were also pointing out into the ocean and Mary said "i'll let the lifeguard know" (not sure what they were talking about? Maybe where the rip was?) That's basically all they're reporting and all i know, like i said my brother didn't hang around too much!

Thank you - and your brother too - HRHJAP for filling in some more of the details of the incident.

I hope you enjoy your time here at TRFs.

And we have an official statement from the DRF: Kongehuset: Prins Christian var på intet tidspunkt i fare - Danmark | www.bt.dk

Lene Balleby says that the situation was not dramatic at all: "Prince Christian was in no danger at any time. The lifeguards must always be attentive and in this case they knew was in the water and (they) were perhaps extra attentive. They therefore did an extra check to see if Prince Christian was OK, which he was.
In other words: The situation was completely undramatic".

The article concludes that the reports that Christian was in (at least some) danger, was exaggerated.
And that the lifeguards did not know who he was is also not correct.

- That the lifeguards still do a most valuable job cannot be detracted IMO. Nor should it detract from anything if, repeat if, one of them intervened when it may not have been necessary.
Like I said in a previous post the sea take a number of tourists every year here in DK as well, so better safe than sorry.

Congratulations on your first post, HRHJAP. :)
And thanks for your account.

:previous: Probably nearby.

But it only takes a moment and an overconfident ten year old...

Exactly. Life is never without risk, is it? Not to go swimming in the ocean is not an alternative so all protection was in place. After this experience, and you can only first hand experience how powerful nature can be, Christian will probably more careful next time.

I remember when I went to Yallingup Beach near Perth, the waves were ok, after swimming I was resting on the shore for some time when out of the blue a wave knocked me off my feet. I don't know the particular beach where the family went but I found the Goldcoast beaches equally unpredictable.

And we have an official statement from the DRF: Kongehuset: Prins Christian var på intet tidspunkt i fare - Danmark | www.bt.dk

Lene Balleby says that the situation was not dramatic at all: "Prince Christian was in no danger at any time. The lifeguards must always be attentive and in this case they knew was in the water and (they) were perhaps extra attentive. They therefore did an extra check to see if Prince Christian was OK, which he was.
In other words: The situation was completely undramatic".

The article concludes that the reports that Christian was in (at least some) danger, was exaggerated.
And that the lifeguards did not know who he was is also not correct.

- That the lifeguards still do a most valuable job cannot be detracted IMO. Nor should it detract from anything if, repeat if, one of them intervened when it may not have been necessary.
Like I said in a previous post the sea take a number of tourists every year here in DK as well, so better safe than sorry.

Congratulations on your first post, HRHJAP. :)
And thanks for your account.
My impression from the video actually was that this was more a precautious action from the lifeguard than a real rescue. It's their job to foresee dangers and not let it come to the worst (like Christian not being able to make it back).

Thank you all for the information. Having experienced lifeguards who understand the changing nature of the ocean floor, beaches and wave patterns is an absolute necessity! Especially when every summer there are millions (with varying levels of swimming proficiency) who come to spend the day at the beach. I'm constantly reminding our kids that even though they are "pool safe" swimmers at 15 and 13 , the ocean is an entirely different situation.

:previous: I tend to agree with you, Ricarda.

If you listen to what was said in the video, they did not say that Christian, was in danger, but that they intervened before he was in danger and ending up in a situation he couldn't handle.

BB has apparently phoned Lene Balleby and this is what she said to BB: Livredder tjekkede om prins Christian var okay | BILLED-BLADET

Prince Christian was Thursday and the beach Mermaid Beach near Brisbane in Australia with his parents, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and his three younger siblings.
Here the whole family went into the water and swam between the flags. At some point a lifeguard spotted the 10 year old Prince and paddled out to him on his board to see if he was okay. Fortunately everything was as it should be.
"The situation was completely undramatic. The lifeguards were very attentive and checked whether Prince Christian was alright, just to be on the safe side", says the DRF communications chief Lene Balleby to Billed Blade and adds:
It's good the lifeguards do their jobs so well, but in this case there was no danger".

It was the Australian 7 News that Sunday reported that Prince Christian had been rescued to the shore by a lifeguard at the beach at the Gold Coast in eastern Australia, because the undercurrent had got him.
But according to Lene Balleby the Prince wasn't in direct danger, when he was out bathing during the family holiday in Crown Princess Mary's homeland

"The DRF take very calm because the situation was as said before undramatic", says the communications chief of the DRF.

Follow up.

The Danish press have had a closer look at the matter: Livredder kom prins Christian til undsætning: Så farlig er stranden, prinsen badede fra - Danmark | www.bt.dk

They have looked at the beach, Mermaid Beach and the lifeguard site, ripcurrents.com.au
According to that the beach is known to have strong currents, so it's safer to swim near the shore.

Even though the DRF labelled the incident as undramatic, far from all swimmers get a visit by a lifeguard.
At this beach, since July, there have been one rescue (i.e. a swimmer in danger), five cases of first aide being applied and 279 precautionary actions.
The paper concludes that the incident with Christian must be considered a precautionary action. (Especially I imagine if the lifeguards had been told to watch out in particular for that family. Perhaps by putting an extra lifeguard on duty, whatever).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom