General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 12: August 2013 - July 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know where Frederik is going on 6-8th December? Since Joachim will be Rigsforstander. Afghanistan perhaps?

Do we know where Frederik is going on 6-8th December? Since Joachim will be Rigsforstander. Afghanistan perhaps?

hmm, interesting. what makes you think Afghanistan?
They did have him listed for an event today, which Mary took over

:previous: It's the time of year. And I haven't heard about anything official he has to attend. - No IOC meeting and he has stopped sailing.
And Frederik going Christmas shopping for a couple of days? Nah. Not even with Mary, not if he can help it...

I'll leave it to the mods to decide whether this should be placed in the Amalienborg thread.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #49, 2013.
Written by Marianne Singer.

The article is based on a new edition of the book: Amalienborg, by Thomas Larsen & Jørgen Larsen.

And in here Mary talks a little about living at Amalienborg.

Being used to living in slightly more modest homes, Amalienborg made a pretty big impression on Mary when she first came here. As you know M&F initially lived at Kancellihuset near Fredensborg:
"Kancellihuset is a house, while Amalienborg is a mansion. I'm sure it would have been more overwhelming if we were to have oved in at Amalienborg right away. Out there you are protected by the nature. From the moent I entered the house I felt good/at ease. There was warmth and atmosphere (*) and we felt we were in our own home".

Having the first two children and living i an (fairly) modest home was good: "Yes, it was faith, you might say. I had an easier beginning to my new life in that way".

But in December 2010 M&F moved from a house of 1.200 square meters to their new home of more than 4.000 square meters. (**) And they have now settled completely:
"In the right part of the building - and uwards in the building - we have made our private section, which acts as one big apartment. That has been important to us, and it may stem from my upbringing, that we all sleep close to each other. We have our bedrooms and the children's rooms at the mezzanin floor. We have created a bubble which is ours and where we are together as a family.
We both want to give our children all we can. We for them to have a loving, caring and safe upbringing and that they are happy (i.e. really happy). We would like to be a family with a everyday life, where we are together as much as possible".

Mary very much appreciate the fact that she can move about in Copenhagen practically undisturbed.

About the renovation: "It has been an exciting project which started almost right after our wedding. The house were to be renovated from cellar to roof. Over time we worked out how we should create a new home. It has been a big mouthful, but I think it has been sucessful".

They do have a Christmas tree and all: "The Knights Hall/Great Hall is used at several official occasions but it can also be the sitting room where we celebrate Christmas. When I expected the twins I couldn't move to far away from Rigshospitalet so we put up a huge Christmas tree in the middle of the hall".
The KNights Hall is also a place Mary likes to take photos, due to the light.

A nice pic of Mary and Ziggy from BT: http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/14/7/7014031-amalienborg.jpg

And a very nice pic of Mary in her office from BB: https://app.box.com/s/gnstibop8gto9ol8kazd

(*) Frederik has in an interview told how he can sometimes feel the presence of the late Queen Ingrid at Kancellihuset and that feels good and reassuring.

(**) In comparison a fairly typical Danish family house for parents, two children and a medium sized dog is 120-180 square meters, give or take

As always, thanks Muhler.

Great pics!

I know it will never ever happen, but it could be fun to visit M+F in the private and share a good cup of coffee with them while they give a guided tour of their home :cool:
I've always been very fascinated by old buildings with a history and soul.

I read B.T. in the paper version this morning and there was more from the interview - I will translate it later...
http://epaper.infomedia.dk/teaser/BTA

IF I get home without blowing away... :hiding:

DK is currently hit by yet another very powerful storm.

Last edited:
Hope everyone stays safe in DK.
Here in California, US it is close to freezing at least for me, in the 30s at night.

thank you for all the links and translations

Thanks, Muhler.

It's fortunate that the living space lent itself well to being a true family home. I look at some older palaces and think it would be almost impossible to carry on with modern family life in them, at least without completely rebuilding the interiors.

B.T. has more from the interview with Mary - here is a summary from the paper version of B.T:​

Mary tells that Frederik Vlll's palace serves as both a work place for the Crown Prince Couple and their secretariat, but just as mush as a family home with four young children: "The right wing of the building - and upwards have we created our private section which acts as a big apartment. That has been very important to us, and it may come from my childhood that we all sleep close to eachother. We (her and Frederik) have our bedroom and the children's bedrooms on the mezzanin floor where we have created a bubble which is ours and where we gather as a family."

She tells that her and Frederik as much as possible bring and pick up their children to and from school/kindergarten. And this is how it should be according to Mary. With a busy schedule it's important for them that they begin and "close down" the day with the children. Mary knows that she isn't like other Danish women. But she admits: "If I take the official events out, I try to live a little the same life as other women with husband and children."

We are also told that the family's first Christmas Eve (in 2011) was held in the Great Hall with a big Christmas tree right in the middle. Last year (in 2012) they held Christmas Eve in their private living room, which they find a bit more cozy. The Great Hall is mainly used for representation, but sometimes it's also place for the children to play. Here is good place to build a long racetrack or parking a pink doll pram.​

On the ground floor is Mary's working room located. And according to Mary that's both good and not so good. Because the work can easily take too much time, it's so easy to take the work with her even if she decide to be done for today and goes up one floor to the private sector. The good thing is that the children always and easily can run down to her if they need her. Sometimes she lets her persuaded and leave work be work, while at other times she may use the same phrase that other moms (including myself) know all too well: "Mom, will be right there kids..."​

At the end of the article we are told that there are still several large representation rooms which haven't been furnished yet. The reason isn't lack of desire or time, but because Frederik and Mary takes good time to choose the right furniture which fits into a modern palace.​

***​

IIRC, Muhler some months back posted a plan view of the mezzanin floor where the Crown Prince Family private sections is located.​

I'm not the most creative person on earth, so forgive me my bad Paint pictures. But maybe it gives an idea of ​​where it is M+F's private part of the palace is located.

Showing the two officials floors, the Ground floor and the Beletage floor. The right wing of the Beletage floor do have some private rooms - the livingroom, the kitchen and the outdoor terrace:
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1472814_587306231341145_1375523563_n.jpg

The private Mezzanin floor from a look from the other side:
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1499622_587306361341132_1732491088_n.jpg

From Google Maps where the terrace with parasols can been seen and a garden with trampoline and football goals.
https://maps.google.dk/maps?q=Amali...+Slotsplads,+1257+København,+København+K&z=19

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:this is really cool. thank you for taking the time to do it. :flowers:

Thank you Roskilde for your posts and pics regarding CP Mary and family's Copehnhagen home.

I have a "saved" photo from somewhere on the internet - (don't know where I first found it, to be able to attach it here to show what I'm talking about, and I'm on the tablet at the moment, and am not able to post photos from here) - but where your above photo shows the garden paving stones, this arial photo I have, shows these to be in the shape of a stylized kangaroo - :lol::lol::lol:

It seems removed or overgrown by lawn in the Google Earth photo you have.

Does anyone know if that - (the garden paving shaped as a kangaroo) - was the actual case for a while, from the restoration perhaps.

(Wouldn't be suprised if some/all of it is now gone to make the area more "tumbling children" safe.)

Thanks again Roskilde. :flowers:

Would be good if the "Australain Women's Weekly" re-published this article in a future issue -I'm sure a lot of CP Mary's Oz followers would be interested.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting all of the Christmas cards from the previous years, Roskilde :flowers:

2005 (they really ought to visit Greenland with all of the children so we can get a Christmas card of them all in national costumes), 2008 (Steen Brogaard is one of the best photographers out there, it's very rarely that I don't like the pictures he take of the royal family), 2009 (I hope Ziggy will be a part of this years picture as well) & 2010 (just plain old wonderful) are my favourites, they were so lovely.

I hope that all six will be on the Christmas card this year, I've been missing Mary and Frederik on it the last couple of years (though I realise that with six people, it easily gets crowded).

You're welcome :flowers:

Yeah it's hard to pick a favorite, but must say I adore especially the cards from 2009 and 2010.

Not really a picture or news on Frederik and Mary but I found this cute comic

The comic "Scandinavia and the World", the comics are about stereotypes countries have about one another. There is one called "Australian Princess" and loosely based on Frederick and Mary.:ROFLMAO:

Apologies if this isnt the correct thread :flowers:

Australian Princess - Scandinavia and the World

I imagine Mary has a large gift list with all her nephews and nieces and godchildren and probably Carolines children etc. Oh what fun buying toys!! for so many.

I imagine Mary has a large gift list with all her nephews and nieces and godchildren and probably Carolines children etc. Oh what fun buying toys!! for so many.
Yes indeed !! lot of fun to buy presents for all this kids and not to worry how much you spend! it is really nice she does it herself and not to send her secretary to do it! wonder how it is their xmas dinner do they do a formal event or just something casual? and wonde what Fred would buy for Mary may be a new tiara?

When Christian was just a baby it appeared that Fred bought Mary a very nice camera. She had it at Tivoli fun park one year. Perhaps she likes practical gifts.

Mary & Frederik in Today's "Examiner" Newspaper.

Hi Everyone,

New Year's Eve here in Tasmania, and the Northern region's newspaper, "The Examiner", have put a photo of Frederick and Mary on the top of the front page - directing readers to page 10, for today's countdown of the "TOP 50".

Page 10 is headed "NEWSMAKERS OF 2013", and there is another photo of M and F, (both photos from their recent visit), and CP Mary is listed as number 37, with a recap of her being unable to get to Tasmania, but winning "plenty of hearts" with "PRINCE FREDERIK" when they visited the "bushfire ravaged areas of New South Wales".

Cheers, Sun Lion.

A very outdoorsy family. I love that they are all there plus ziggy too:flowers:

Wonderful family photo!
All of Frederik and Mary's kids are so cute ;)

how nice to get a view each year into their very own private family photoalbum and it almost looks like mary has set the camera up and rushed over to be in the photo out there in the wilderness ;-) much like the photo of the family in the nature

Last edited:
Billedbladet can informs that Frederik and Mary first returned to Copenhagen some hours before the New Year banquet. They stayed in Jutland after having celebrated Christmas at Marselisborg. A good guess is they held the New Year with their close friends Jørgen and Malou Skeel at Birkelse. They have done that several times before. Another good option is Trend? But maybe not for a New Year's Eve.

But, I guess they don't have many hangover after their New Year's Evenings, they have to get up quite early when they have to get home in time for the New Year banquet ;)

To have a look of Malou - here's a picture of Mary and Malou out with their sons, Christian and Hannibal some years ago
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/lotte52/PrtSc/BB/BB07/BB212007MCMZ.jpg

Last edited:
I can add that the text to BB's coverage of the Christmas Cards suggests that the pic of M&F and family was taken on Christian's birthday, while at Trend. - That sounds very plausible to me. The landscape is very typical of north, west and central Jutland.

Statue of CP Mary Now in Place in Bicheno Tasmania.

Hi Everyone,

Wednesday January 8th down here in Tasmania, and the local newspaper has two photos, and quite a large article, about yesterday's "bizarre" sight of "Princess Mary" being winched into place yesterday, at the holiday town of Bicheno, on the East Coast.

A helicopter positioned the wooden and painted, larger than life, statue - weighing a tonne - into place, among six previous "notable" Tasmanians - which include movie star of yester-year Errol Flynn, cricketer Ricky Ponting, boxer Daniel Geale, Greens "warrior" Bob Brown, Olympian Shane Gould, (who moved to Tassie), and local chopping champion David Foster.

"Mary" was made from local eucalypt using a chainsaw and various other wood carving implements.

(Anyone familiar with Geelong will know the feature of that coastal city in Victoria that such works have become, and Tasmania now has several carved and varnished trees - old dead, still standing, stumps - that have become a tourist attraction in various places.)

I can see "Mary" ending up in many a photo collection as she is included in the holiday snaps of visiting families over the coming years. :lol:

Cheers, Sun Lion.

:previous: That's a funny idea, Sun Lion. :)

:previous: That's a funny idea, Sun Lion. :)

Hey Muhler,

Well they've paid attention, as they've put her blue sash on her.

"She's" formally dressed with tiara, jewellery and a long gown and gold jacket.

I think she will be the most popular - and there are unlikely to be any more added as they've run out of room.

(All very Australian really - we don't have marble, but we're not short of wood.)

Sun Lion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom