Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's Second Pregnancy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is it a boy or girl?

• Boy

Votes: 84 33.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 157 61.8%
  • Twins: boy & girl

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Twins: 2 boys

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Twins: 2 girls

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quoth:
"Anna-Sophie Ingrid Henrietta"

Anna-Sophie, I love it, two of my favorite names in one :wub:

I would remove the Henrietta and add Margrethe, I just like it better plus every time I think of Henrietta I think of the somewhat neurotic Hen from Four Weddings and a Funeral :lol:

Das Erste - Royalty - Gottes Segen für Lillepige - die Taufe der dänischen Prinzessin
There are speculations about the name in this article , too.
According to them following names are likely to be chosen:
Margrethe
Henrietta
Ingrid
Mathilda
Kylie

I understand most suggestions, but Kylie??? Would they really name the girl Kylie? Maybe it's a name of one of Mary's relatives, I don't know much about her family, but it doesn't strike me as a very royal name. Thankfully we'll finally soon.

I think something like Emma, Désirée, Josefine/Josephine (though Mary's new godchild is named like that, but I really like the name), Thyra, Helene, Louise Astrid...
I don't think Christine/Kristine (with Christian as a brother, but other than that it is very pretty), Leonore/Eleonore (to many), Ingrid, Catharina, Alexandra, Marie/Maria, Victoria, Elisabeth, Sophie/Sofie, Caroline (same reasons)...
I hope it is not Dagmar, Henrietta or Frederikke as a first name... I hope though they choose a fairly traditional name, and nothing like Tatiana or Antonia...
I guess in the end any name is better than none...:rolleyes:

Astrid Margrethe Henrietta Ingrid
Charlotte Margrethe Henrietta Ingrid

I understand most suggestions, but Kylie??? Would they really name the girl Kylie? Maybe it's a name of one of Mary's relatives, I don't know much about her family, but it doesn't strike me as a very royal name.

Don't worry Princess Leonor, I think a 'Princess Kylie' is highly unlikely...the Kylie reference is to pop star Kylie Minogue. She's an Australian singer from Mary's homeland. I'm guessing the article is from an Australian newspaper?

Charlotte Ingrid Margrethe Henrietta

So does that mean us Aussie fans have to stream the christening online?

Probably, as I doubt SBS or any other station will air the christening (they didn't air Christian's, why would they air Lilleprinsesse's?)

Don't worry Princess Leonor, I think a 'Princess Kylie' is highly unlikely...the Kylie reference is to pop star Kylie Minogue. She's an Australian singer from Mary's homeland. I'm guessing the article is from an Australian newspaper?

Not Aussie, German Nichola :) And I agree, I'm 99.99% sure we can rule out "Princess Kylie" - or any "Kylie" in the princess' name

I do not think they will choose a traditional name as first name. They will choose a beautiful name, they want for their daughter, and then leave the royal traditional names to the middle names. :flowers:

They're gonna surprise us.

If we're going to see the christening live online, what websites could we go on to watch it?

Oh, and what is the christening time in Denmark? I know the time difference between Denmark and where I live, so that's not a problem.

Odds on princess to be named Margrethe

Odds are on the newborn daughter of Danish Crown Prince Frederik and his Australian-born wife Mary being named Margrethe after the Danish queen, bookies say.

According to the article, people are betting on names such as Ingrid, Lotte, Nanna, Alexandra (after Joachim's ex) and Henrietta.
Odds on princess to be named Margrethe - Breaking News - World - Breaking News

Last edited:
I am sure that they names that they choose will have some sort of royal and historical provenance.

Ingrid Henrietta Margrethe Frederika

I think they'll definitely have Margrethe as a middle name, but I don't think as a first name. Henrietta probably as well. Charlotte is a pretty first name, so is Astrid.

Just because Amber won't be attending the christening doesn't mean she won't be named a godmother for Lilleprinsesse. I mean, Frederik is godfather to Ingrid Alexandra of Norway, but didn't attend her christening; so there is no reason why Amber can't be godmother even though she ain't flying half way around the world :)

Studid question maybe, but who is Amber? Haven't the godparents been made public yet, the christening is sunday allready isn't it?

Hello! I think that first name would be:
Dagmar,
Ingeborg,
Frederica (is after crown prince Frederick),
Elizabeth (is after Elizabeth II and crown princess Mary),
Sophia
Isabella

The middle names probably would be:
Ingrid
Margrethe
Henrietta

Hello! I think that first name would be:
Dagmar,
Ingeborg,
Frederica (is after crown prince Frederick),
Elizabeth (is after Elizabeth II and crown princess Mary),
Sophia
Isabella

The middle names probably would be:
Ingrid
Margrethe
Henrietta

Those are exactly the middle names I chose, in that order too. Elizabeth, or Elisabeth, is one of my bets for the name, Isabella is a good one too. I don't think that they'll have a Frederika, just because it might get too confusing with Frederik. I don't think that we'll have a Sophia either (even though it is a beautiful name) because the new little Infanta of the same age is Sofia, also confusing. I don't think she'll be a Christina or a Kirsten or anything of that sort, since they are too much like her older brother's name.

Oh yes, I forgot infanta Sophia but anyway I think that the first name should be Danish name - because her father is crown prince of Denmark. I prefer that they follow traditions and choose some danish princess name :).
Well lets wait and see - only 3 days now!

I am still really hoping for Princess Elizabeth or Elisabeth, with the other names Ingrid Margarethe Henrietta...

When will the little princess get her name?

I'm not very informed about the royal House of Denmark:ermm:

By the way, I really like the name Sophia!

When will the little princess get her name?
On Sunday (July 1st) at the baptism, we would firstly get to hear it.

I like the names Josephine, Louise, Mathilde and (Ingrid) for a girl.

Those I´m liking too. Same for Charlotte, Alice, Anastasia Anna/Anne, Amelie, Magdalena, Marlene, Valerie, Florentine, Helene, Caroline, Sofie, Victoria, Therese, Isabell. Timeless names.

Maybe not so traditional (but fitting for a princess): Leonie, Aurelia/Aurelie

Some of the very danish/nordic names, I´m liking as well (Freja, Thyra, Astrid, Ida...)

Ingrid is beautiful too. But firstly it´s already the name of Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway and Countess Ingrid von Pfeil und Klein-Ellguth and secondly I´d be somehow quite happy, if they would choose the call name apart from
Mary
Ingrid
Henrietta
Margrethe
Elisabeth

Don´t like too much of a burden for a child...and even more...I´d somehow consider it as a very tender gesture, if they would go in this case for a call name, they are simply liking and considering as fitting for the little girl.
Mary always seems, as if she desperately wants to adjust, so I don´t think, she is much for experiments.
And Frederik...well, I simply can´t imagine him screening books for first names. I´ve a feeling, he doesn´t care much for such things. So the more I´d be happy about being proven wrong and so an individual call name for the princess (the other names are usually not that important anyway...and in many families reserved for traditional names)
Of course I wouldn´t want it to be too exotic (*cough* dutch RF *cough*)
So a classy, not too family related call name...and I´d be satisfied. The "Ingrid", "Margrethe" and "Henriette" one can take then for name nr. 2/3/4...

Last edited:
First to answer Coco the princess gets her name this coming Sunday July 1st.

Well maybe I'm in the minority here but I kind of think since she is not the first heir of Frederik I think she will get a new name just for her. Yes, it may have some significant value as far as it being somewhat of a royal name but I don't think her first name will be directly taken from one of the previous Danish princesses. Just look at history and other royal families, the second born seems to get a royal sounding name but with less historic family value. But that is just my guess. I also think though that her middle names will be very typical Danish and both grandmothers will be honored. We'll see but I'm kind of thinking the first name will be a little bit of a suprise to many.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about it, and I think that it would be nice for her to have an uncommon name. Not uncommon as in weird, or unpronounceable names, but something that isn't often used in the Danish Royal Family, or any Scandenavian Royal Family.

There have been very many little Princess Ingrid's, Thyra's, Astrid's, and Dagmar's running around the Scandenavian palaces for hundreds of years. They're normal and new.

Mathilde and Caroline are among the top ten names for girls in Denmark, if I'm not mistaken (feel free to say if I am!), and are also royal names (Mathilde of Belgium, Caroline of Monaco are two modern day examples. I'm not sure about Mathilde, but Caroline has been used as a royal name numerous times for many years). However, giving her one of those pretty names could be a challenge, because it would be hard for her (and any other little girl) to go to a preschool where there are five Mathilde's and three Caroline's in her class. However, she would be the only Princess Caroline or Mathilde in the room!

If they did go classic, I like Astrid as a name. There haven't been as many Astrid's around as there were fifty years ago or so. I don't think they should go with Ingrid as a call name, as there have been more little Ingrid's popping up in Denmark and Norway's royal families (Ingrid Alexandra, who will one day be Queen of Norway is her biggest threat; Countess Ingrid, her cousin, may also get confusing at family get togethers). Is Denmark still male-dominated in terms of who is first in line to the throne? If so, then it may get even harder if she is followed by two or three little brothers, who will be ahead of her in the line to succession. She would probably be even more likely to get confused with Ingrid Alexandra. "So YOU'RE the princess/ Crown Princess/ QUEEN of Norway?" "No, I'm just a princess of Denmark who has two/three brothers and their families in front of me to the throne." Not much fun for our poor Princess Ingrid.

For middle names, I think they can use the stuffier, more tradional names to honor loved ones, or names that might get her confused with another princess or famous lady. Margrethe (pretty much a given), Thyra, Ingrid, Ingeborg, Astrid, Anne, Benedikte, Marie, Alexandra, Alexia, or Theodora could all honor a woman on the paternal side of the family. Henrietta, Jane, Patricia, Susan, Elizabeth, or Mary could honor someone on the maternal side. Sophia/Sophie, Amalia/Amelia/Amalie, Arianna, Eleanor/Leonor/Leonore and more are names that could confuse her with another princess.

Or Frederik and Mary could go all out with an original name that gets everyone surprised. Kylie, Emily, Emma, Laura, Brianna, Bridget, Ashley, Nicole, India, Ireland, a Greenlandic or Icelandic name,the list could go on and on! But whatever Frederik and Mary choose, it will be a name that they like and makes them happy, and that is the most important thing!

Last edited:
My final and hoped for choice is Elisabeth Ingrid Henrietta Margrethe (or some combination of the last three) Christian and Elisabeth sound so adorable together :wub::flowers:

I would also like Louise or Marie, those are pretty too. Marie Elizabeth Ingrid Henrietta Margrethe, if they would be bold and pick five instead of four. I put Margrethe at the end, because it seems custom for the "younger heirs" (ie Joachim, Nikolai and Felix) to have the name of a monarch at the end of theirs (Joachim Holger Valdemar Christian, Nikolai William Alexander Frederik and Felix Henrik Valdemar Christian) so maybe they will have Margrethe at the end, definitely Ingrid in there, and most likely Henrietta too, although I would think that Christian's 'Henri' is for his paternal grandfather AND maternal grandmother, but we'll see come Sunday.

Studid question maybe, but who is Amber? Haven't the godparents been made public yet, the christening is sunday allready isn't it?

I'll do your questions seperately princess leonor, as not to get confused :flowers:
First question: Amber Petty is Mary's best friend. She lives in Australia, and was a bridesmaid at her wedding (the one with the blonde hair if you've seen pics).
Second question: The godparents will be made public on Sunday, at 10:30 I believe, just before the christening begins.

And if you have any other questions, please post them and I'm sure myself or one of our fellow posters will answer you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom