Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's Second Pregnancy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is it a boy or girl?

• Boy

Votes: 84 33.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 157 61.8%
  • Twins: boy & girl

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Twins: 2 boys

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Twins: 2 girls

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
can some explain why they give a child 5 or 4 names?

can some explain why they give a child 5 or 4 names?
It's just tradition - they way they do it. With the present queen and her two sisters, the late King Frederik and queen Ingrid limited the number to 4 - the queen's cousin, princess Elisabeth, 'suffered' from an even older tradition and was given 10 names - Elisabeth Caroline-Mathilde Alexandrine Helena Olga Thyra Feodora Estrid Margarethe Désirée!;)

It's just tradition - they way they do it. With the present queen and her two sisters, the late King Frederik and queen Ingrid limited the number to 4 - the queen's cousin, princess Elisabeth, 'suffered' from an even older tradition and was given 10 names - Elisabeth Caroline-Mathilde Alexandrine Helena Olga Thyra Feodora Estrid Margarethe Désirée!;)

Oh my god imagine having 10 names... but they are onlly called by the first name correct?.. they dont use the other names?

Oh my god imagine having 10 names... but they are onlly called by the first name correct?.. they dont use the other names?
Yes, it's rather overwhelming! No, they only use the first name, thankfully! But imagine being a little one starting at school and having to learn to write your entire name...:rolleyes:

Is it also tradition to chose a name that is very commonly run through the royal family in Denmark? I was thinking that since Mary is from Austrailia that maybe she may prefer a more common english name. Then again, if you add 4 or 5 names on to it, tradition will be covered to some extent.

Is it possible for Mary to name the child anything, for example say she liked the name Jenny or Halley or Kimbery. Or another common name because she wanted to name her after one of her own relatives. Is it possible? or are their choices limited by Denmark royal family traditional names?

I was wondering if her Austrailian or more specifically more English background can play a part. Any thoughts?

When it comes down to the day, isn't it just two that will be picked. One godmother and one godfather?

Or is this a group thing now? I guess I am just traditional.

Is it also tradition to chose a name that is very commonly run through the royal family in Denmark? I was thinking that since Mary is from Austrailia that maybe she may prefer a more common english name. Then again, if you add 4 or 5 names on to it, tradition will be covered to some extent.

Is it possible for Mary to name the child anything, for example say she liked the name Jenny or Halley or Kimbery. Or another common name because she wanted to name her after one of her own relatives. Is it possible? or are their choices limited by Denmark royal family traditional names?

I was wondering if her Austrailian or more specifically more English background can play a part. Any thoughts?
http://www.familiestyrelsen.dk/navne/1/ has a list of names that Danes can give their children. Press Godkendte pigefornavne and choose HTML, then press the button below. Any names other than these names, will have to be applied for.

Jenny, Hailey, & Kimberley/Kimberly are all on the list. :ROFLMAO:

It's tradition to use some family names for the child - for example one of Frederik's names is André, after Henrik's father - ergo - the non-royal part of the family.

....just like Christian has John as one of his names - after his non-royal maternal grandfather :)

When it comes down to the day, isn't it just two that will be picked. One godmother and one godfather?

Or is this a group thing now? I guess I am just traditional.

I think in total its 4 or 5 that are chosen

As far as I remember, it wasn't until the day of the christening that the court released a list with names of the godparents (not 100 % sure though....)
Yes, I think the list was released just a few hours before the baptism.
I remember because it was a bit of a surprise that Haakon and Mette-Marit were chosen as godparents.
Everyone exspected Haakon as a godfather but MM was a surprise. And it was quite difficult for them to be there at time if I remember correctly.

The naming (to the public) of the godparents usually doesn't happen until a couple of days prior to the christening. Or less.

Furthermore, not to sound rude, it's probably a good idea from here on out for members to stop asking the question, "Who will be the godparents?!!" that no one has the answer to at this moment (unless of course you are a Palace insider and want to break the Confidentiality Agreement contract you signed and thus spilling the beans on TRF regarding the guestlist and godparents.)

Regarding the guestlist, the usual Scandinavian royals will be there including Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette Marit and so forth. At this time there is no complete and final list of who will attend, nor do I know (because she has not confirmed it despite the rumors floating around on the net) if Amber will be there.

Finally, TV2 has set up a special page dedicated to the upcoming christening on July 1. You can watch it live on TV2 Sputnik, straight from their page, or you can reach the Danish channel via ITV.com. Scroll down on your left side until you see the name Denmark. Click it and there you will be able to log on to the channel. Also, several other European channels will carry the christening, but I'll let you know who they will be and how to access the program the day before.

:flowers:

I will stick to Louise Ingrid Margrethe Henriette

Stellad

Are there any other non-royal family names that could be picked possibly from Henrik's family or Mary's grandmothers etc?

I think it might be Louise also. Princess Louise Margrethe Henrietta Elizabeth of Denmark. Oh well only a week and a half until we find out.:flowers:

Posting this on the right thread :)

I just looked up some names of Queens (I don´t know if they´re all Danish or what) but Isabella just caught my eye. I don´t think it´s a very cute name or anything but many little girl´s are named that right now and it is a royal name too. There are also Emma (not so royal but very cute), Olga (little too old-fashioned), Caroline and Josephine (popular and also quite royal and I like Caroline in the Danish way to pronounce it).. and there´s also my favourite... Astrid. *Prinsesse/Princess Astrid* :D

Are there any other non-royal family names that could be picked possibly from Henrik's family or Mary's grandmothers etc?
Frederik's paternal grandmother was called Renee - a name fit for a princess :)

I still think one of my names would work. I'm rooting for them.
Anna-Sophie Ingrid Henrietta
Thyra Ingrid Henrietta Margerethe
Christina Ingrid Henrietta Margarethe
Anna Elenora Henrietta Ingrid
Ingrid Dagmar Henrietta Margrete

I definately think she looks like an Anna. So I think her first name will definately be Anna. She will be known by two names like Anna-Sophie or Anna Elenora.

Ingrid Margrethe Henrietta for sure !!!!!! :D (missing the 4th name ... still looking for it :D)

I´m starting to doubt that she will have the name Ingrid as one of the 4 names. Frederik and Mary haven´t always "gone with the crowd" if you know what I mean. They got married on a friday and not in the traditional royal church to perform weddings for heirs to the throne, Holmens Kirke but chose Vor Frue Kirke, to everyone´s surprise, they chose Henri istead of Henrik as one of Christian´s names which most ppl were also surprised about. Maybe they won´t choose Ingrid as one of the names just because Frederik and his grandmother were very close. as ppl assume they are going to.

I still think one of my names would work. I'm rooting for them.
Anna-Sophie Ingrid Henrietta
Thyra Ingrid Henrietta Margerethe
Christina Ingrid Henrietta Margarethe
Anna Elenora Henrietta Ingrid
Ingrid Dagmar Henrietta Margrete

I definately think she looks like an Anna. So I think her first name will definately be Anna. She will be known by two names like Anna-Sophie or Anna Elenora.
Christina is very pretty I would love for them to use that one as her first name but it's so close to Christian I doubt they will.I like your choice of Anna-Sophie Ingrid Henrietta:flowers: they sound good together.I personally prefer three names over four I think they generally have a better flow but those four have sound right together:)

Here my chioces:
-Charlotte
-Desirée
-Dagmar
-Emma
-Anna

+ Ingrid Margrethe Henrietta

Frederick is/was close to Felipe. I say no to Madeline and Carl Phillip because they are still a little young IMO. But anything is possible. If we are going to pick a younger royal..I would go with Martha Louise of Norway. I say Willem-Alexander only because they are both heirs to the throne, they seem like they get along great (I remember the pics from the Olympics, etc.).

Don't think Carl Philip is to young, he is 28

Carl Philip and Madeline are not too young. Prince William was named a godfather to Prince Pavlos' son when he was about 17 or 18.

As far as the new little baby, I think that Willem will probably be one of the godfathers. I also think that either Mary's brother or her sister Patricia would be a godparent as she named her eldest sister Jane one of Christian's godparents.

I think that Patricia D, Willem-Alexander, Marie-Chantal, Märtha-Louise.... will be godparents :)

I don´t even know how to pronounce Desirée in Danish :ermm::ROFLMAO:

Does Desiree belong to a royal name? I don´t know any Princess Desiree. I know that CP Victoria has Desiree as one of her names, but it´s from her commoner maternal grandmother if I remember it correctly.

I also think Patricia D will be asked, as will P. Felipe, P. Pavlos, Pr. Madeleine and perhaps P. Alexandra or Nathalie (his cousins).

I´m starting to doubt that she will have the name Ingrid as one of the 4 names. Frederik and Mary haven´t always "gone with the crowd" if you know what I mean. They got married on a friday and not in the traditional royal church to perform weddings for heirs to the throne, Holmens Kirke but chose Vor Frue Kirke, to everyone´s surprise, they chose Henri istead of Henrik as one of Christian´s names which most ppl were also surprised about. Maybe they won´t choose Ingrid as one of the names just because Frederik and his grandmother were very close. as ppl assume they are going to.

There is nothing traditional about Holmens kirke (church) for heirs to the throne. She was the first heir to be married in there. The "normal place was normaly the castles where the bride came from in her home country or pro forma weddings in the brides country if we go very long back. Queen Alexandrine and Christian X was married in Cannes (her parents summer home) and Frederik 9. was married in Stockholm to Queen Ingrid.
Sorry if I am pecky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom