The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Is it a boy or girl?
Boy 85 33.33%
Girl 157 61.57%
Twins: boy & girl 6 2.35%
Twins: 2 boys 2 0.78%
Twins: 2 girls 5 1.96%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Courtier

Since Mary's parents are both scottish (which means she's actually scottish, not australian) I'd love to see some scottish names!! Maybe not for a first name but somewhere in there. Also, I love old norse names.

And here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legendary_Danish_kings it caught my eye that there has been a king called Frodo in Denmark!

For a boy they might consider adding Hamish, Aidan/Aodhán and for a girl I suggest Eilidh, Isobel, Lilias/Lileas, Mairead (Scottish form of Margaret).

For more conventional names I'd suggest

For a girl: Josephine Thyra Dagmar Henrietta

For a Boy: Sigfrid Dalgleish Aidan Frederik

Henrietta is Mary's mother's name and Dalgleish is Mary's father's second name.

By the way, does anyone know why Mary's maiden name is Donaldson? I am pretty sure is has originally been MacDonald (Mac meaning 'son').

Old 10-30-2006, 01:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharina
By the way, does anyone know why Mary's maiden name is Donaldson? I am pretty sure is has originally been MacDonald (Mac meaning 'son').
AFAIK it's the English version of MacDonald which was forced upon the Scots after the British troops succeeded over the Scotish legitimate's troops at Culloden in 1746. IIRC those who changed the name to Donaldson were considered loyal to the Crown. Thus said, I'm so glad that princess Mary was not born a "MacDonald" - just think of what the media would have done of this name!!!

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Carl Albert Johann Frederik
Wilhelmina Mary Elizabeth Ingrid :)
Old 10-30-2006, 08:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

If the child is a girl, I would like to see the name Thyra in there somewhere. I think it's a gorgeous name and it has ties to the RF. Maybe Alexandra Thyra Ingrid Margrethe or Thyra Alexandra Ingrid Margrethe.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 10-30-2006, 08:43 PM
Heir Apparent

let couple decide for baby's name

but im really like Ingrid after CP Fred's grandma who died in 2000 and wanted honour of her no matter if Mary wanted another names its their decide whether Mary having girl or boy for names after family's names but i cant blame Mary for more reasons what she wanted it!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:46 PM
Serene Highness

I wish I knew more Danish names because I really don't like most of the names that have been posted for a girl. The only thing I can hope is they dont have a girl because I don't think any of the names are beautiful enough for a Princess, IMO. I hope they follow the other royal houses if they have a girl, Ingrid Alexander, Amelia and Alexis, these are beautiful names. I don't mean this to offend anyone just my personnel opinion.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharina
Since Mary's parents are both scottish (which means she's actually scottish, not australian) I'd love to see some scottish names!! Maybe not for a first name but somewhere in there. Also, I love old norse names.
I don't agree with you, Catharina. My parents are not Australian-born but I was born here, and, more importantly, raised here. I'm most definitely Australian, first and foremost.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:32 PM
Royal Highness

If it's a girl, I'll suggest Dagmar to honor the recent Czarina they reburied in Russia.
If it's a boy, you know the tradition of name skiping in Denmark.

Now, kidding a little, what about these dramatic names like Ragnarok for a boy or Valhalla for a girl? Very retro-viking, could start a whole new trend!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Valdermar Carl Albert Johan Victor Christian Edvard Viggo :)
Old 10-31-2006, 03:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81
I wish I knew more Danish names because I really don't like most of the names that have been posted for a girl. The only thing I can hope is they dont have a girl because I don't think any of the names are beautiful enough for a Princess, IMO. I hope they follow the other royal houses if they have a girl, Ingrid Alexander, Amelia and Alexis, these are beautiful names. I don't mean this to offend anyone just my personnel opinion.
Rebafan, try this link for girls' names http://www.babyklar.dk/artikler/pigenavne.htm and this for boys' names http://www.babyklar.dk/artikler/drengenavne.htm.
This should be the lists of approved names and you can just click the individual letters to see the selection. At a quick glance it seems to comprise a lot of old-fashioned names as well which I don't know anybody who are named today - but of course they may reappear.
I don't know whether for example a name like Alexis is 'natural' to Holland; it wouldn't be in Denmark; I would personally prefer a name which has relevance to Frederik's and Mary's own roots.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:04 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
They use only 4 names i guess
Old 10-31-2006, 04:04 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
Yes I would go with the name VIGGO yes please
Old 10-31-2006, 04:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

If it's a boy, I like Alexander Frederik Edvard Victor.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 10-31-2006, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

A girl:
Annebell Margrethe Synni

A boy:
Sondre Henrik Sven

Old 10-31-2006, 07:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly
I don't agree with you, Catharina. My parents are not Australian-born but I was born here, and, more importantly, raised here. I'm most definitely Australian, first and foremost.
I agree, Polly.

My father is foreign born and my mother is the daughter of European's herself. Speaking as someone with such strong European descent, does this mean that I am not Australian, though I was born and raised here? I think not.

Like you, I'm an Australian first and foremost and recognise within myself the values and beliefs that are attributed to our way of life.

For anyone to say that Mary was not Australian is very much the innacurate statement because she most certainly was. An Australian of European descent.

First, foremost and above all else
Old 10-31-2006, 07:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
If it's a girl, I'll suggest Dagmar to honor the recent Czarina they reburied in Russia.
If it's a boy, you know the tradition of name skiping in Denmark.

Now, kidding a little, what about these dramatic names like Ragnarok for a boy or Valhalla for a girl? Very retro-viking, could start a whole new trend!
In Denmark there are very restrivted rules of what you are alowed to call your children. If its a special name you have to ask the state if its ok.
You simply just cant choose names as "Prince" "Apple" and so on like you can in the states
Old 10-31-2006, 01:51 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
You would have to pursuade the Minister for Family and Consumer Affairs first ... and then the Royal Family.

I not sure which would be harder. *lol*
Old 10-31-2006, 02:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Here you are:

Scottish names http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/sco.php

- for a girl:
Abi from Abigail "my father is joy" ,
Aileen
Bridget
Kirsten

- for a boy
Allan,
Amhlaidh scottish Olaf,
Gilroy
Kenneth
Malcolm
Scot
Old 10-31-2006, 11:17 PM
Aristocracy

Some wildcard names they might choose:

For the Prince: Viggo, Gustav/Gustaf, Sebastian, Rupert, Georg, Olaf/Olav, Arthur

For the Princess: Isabella, Lucinda, Adelaide, Beatrix, Martha, Alice, Annika, Eloise, Xenia, Zara

(Some are names of actual past Royalty and others just sound like they should be )

Jane might be a possible middle name for a girl after Mary's sister and it does sound similar to John...so it might be a bit of a theme...for example:

Christian Valdemar Henri John and

Magrethe Dagmar Henrietta Jane (I don't know, merely speculating)
Old 11-01-2006, 01:48 AM
Nobility

question. was there a scand. prince called viggo?

Tags
godparents, lilleprinsesse, princess isabella