The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Is it a boy or girl?
Boy 85 33.33%
Girl 157 61.57%
Twins: boy & girl 6 2.35%
Twins: 2 boys 2 0.78%
Twins: 2 girls 5 1.96%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
I'm sure Adolf is an absolute no-no in all Scandinavian states as well as in Germany, even though the war is already 60 years behind us!
There was 226 Adolf's in 2005 declining with 19 to 207 in 2006. My guess is they are older and dying out fast.

Anyway if you want to check how many carry your great idear, here the place to find out how creative you were :

http://www.dst.dk/Statistik/Navne/Do...C-E038190BA8DB}

Fornavn : First name
Efternavn : Last name

Mand : Man
Kvinde Woman

Sg : Search
Ryd : Clear

Old 10-29-2006, 05:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeara
With regards to Valdemar, I meant "unusual" in the fact that it is Old Danish...correct me if I am wrong, but Valdemar is not used much these days, expect maybe as a middle name and by the ruling elite...Check Jo of Palatine's post with the most popular names for Danish males in 2003...Not a Valdemar to be seen (post #50...I am not sure how to quote?)
I think it is becoming more widespread; a few years ago I wouldn't have believed it either, but it seems it is coming back, like everything else.
If you use the link MargretheI has provided in her post (#26) and try 'Valdemar' for a 'mand', you can see there are more than 1700 i 2006.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
I'm sure Adolf is an absolute no-no in all Scandinavian states as well as in Germany, even though the war is already 60 years behind us!
Especially for royalty.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

What about Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden?
Old 10-29-2006, 09:00 PM
Aristocracy

Does anyone know how the name "Aage" is pronounced? I think it is a really odd pronunciation (to us non-Danes) given how it looks...like you might assume it is "ayj" or "ahg"...but I have a feeling it is more like "ord" or "oh-ah" or something...please tell me, Danes!!!
Old 10-29-2006, 09:39 PM
Commoner

If it is a boy, he will have to have Christian in there somewhere in case he becomes the heir. I think he will also get Frederik.
Maybe
Soren Magnus Frederik Christian
Old 10-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Gentry

Girl: Isabella Ingrid Victoria Margrethe

Boy: Stephen Eric Alexander Frederick
Old 10-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Alexander Hubert Roland Hans Nicholas Michael Anton
Elisabeth Hannah Mary Henrietta Margrethe Nina Eugenie
Old 10-30-2006, 02:04 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane1
Soren Magnus Frederik Christian
that's a great suggestion!

i'm all for following tradition! yet Mary and Frederik did a great job with Christian's name of combining traditional names with 'modern' ones. i haven't got any clues as to what they can name a baby boy apart from Jane1's suggestion, but if a princess is more i agree with most folks on Dagmar, Alexandra and Henrietta. i prefer the name Elisabeth though, spelled with an 's.' naming her Margrethe would be nice too.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
What about Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden?
As Gustaf Adolf was born in 1882, more than 50 years before another Adolf became notorious for his murders of jews and other innocent bystanders, I think we can accept his name. But nowadays IMHO that name is still burnt ground, especially as there is no close relative with this name (while you surely can find other Adolfs in the family-tree of the Schleswig-Holsteins with their different branches).
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargreteI
There was 226 Adolf's in 2005 declining with 19 to 207 in 2006. My guess is they are older and dying out fast.

Anyway if you want to check how many carry your great idear, here the place to find out how creative you were :

http://www.dst.dk/Statistik/Navne/Do...C-E038190BA8DB}

Fornavn : First name
Efternavn : Last name

Mand : Man
Kvinde Woman

Sg : Search
Ryd : Clear
Hey, there are only 8 woman with my original first name in Denmark (Josephine is my second and the one I use since childhood)... I knew it was rare but still...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:05 AM
Gentry

Okay, here are my suggestions:

Girl: Caroline Frederikke Henrietta

Boy: Viggo Alexander Frederik (yes, Viggo was used in the family before, it is one of the names of Prince Knud's son Ingolf.)
Old 10-30-2006, 03:17 AM
Commoner

Some families just make boys. I bet its a boy...

But a girl would be lovely

Debby
Old 10-30-2006, 04:09 AM
Courtier

At this stage I say she is carrying a boy but I might change my mind later on when she shows more tummy.

Stellad
Old 10-30-2006, 05:27 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeara
Does anyone know how the name "Aage" is pronounced? I think it is a really odd pronunciation (to us non-Danes) given how it looks...like you might assume it is "ayj" or "ahg"...but I have a feeling it is more like "ord" or "oh-ah" or something...please tell me, Danes!!!
Its difficult to explain in writing: The double A really means - the old-fashioned way of writing was two As. The sound is not an A - it's more rounded; the best way I can describe is that it is somewhere between the sound 'ohhh' you make when you are surprised and an A. In Danish, we write 'hhhh' for 'ohhh' when indicating surprise etc.

The 'g' is not too pronounced, not completely a j sound either.
The pronounciation is probably somewhere between your suggestions 'ayj' and 'oh-ah'. (Sorry, hope I didn't just make you more confused! Hope someone will come to your rescue with a better explanation )

Aage is IMO a very oldfashioned name; my father has it as part of a double name and so did my grandfather. I would never choose it for one of my own as I never thought it to be a 'pretty' name.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:18 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
I also hope for a little girl because Denmark has been too long due for a little princess. But I think it will be a boy. Boy-then-another-boy for Margrethe and Henrik; boy-then-yet-another-boy for Alexandra and Joachim; boy for Fred and Mary.... there seems to be a pattern here!
I agree, this one will be a boy and the next a girl
Old 10-30-2006, 06:29 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostriver
I vote a princess.
yeah me too... shell be as beautiful as her mother
to be honest..wouldnt mind if it was a boy...
Old 10-30-2006, 06:55 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylonluva
yeah me too... shell be as beautiful as her mother
to be honest..wouldnt mind if it was a boy...
None of us really would - as always, if it's a healthy child that's all that matters. The rest we're doing her is just fun. Hopefully, the parents to be don't read this ; it can be quite annoying hearing about how a child of the opposite sex would be more in demand than the one(s) you already have (know this from experience as I have three of the same sex)
Old 10-30-2006, 07:06 AM
Nobility

I hope Princess Mary will have a little girl fingers crossed!
Old 10-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Nobility

for a girl: Henrietta, Ingrid, Josefine.
and for a boy: Gustav, Viktor, Jakob, Rasmus, George.

Closed Thread

Tags
godparents, lilleprinsesse, princess isabella