The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Is it a boy or girl?
Boy 85 33.33%
Girl 157 61.57%
Twins: boy & girl 6 2.35%
Twins: 2 boys 2 0.78%
Twins: 2 girls 5 1.96%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Majesty

thyra and dagmar sound like lovely names for girls... what are the translations for them in enliglish?

what would be the exact title of the new prince(ss)? hereditary prince or just prince?

i doubt though they will put the name henrietta at the beginning. i think that on the question of names, the queen's name, if it's in the name, needs to go first than the other grandmother of the baby. i'm not sure if it's a rule, but the other royal couples certainly did it that way (even with christian, his name is christian valdemar henri john, so the royal name seems to go first normally).

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 10-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
For a boy, I guess it is safe to rule out Frederik and Christian, and probably can rule out the names of Joachim's sons. I doubt they will use Nikolai, although it is a beautiful name and the best spelling for it imo.
Well if its a boy they might put Frederik in his list of names- just like Joachim has Christian in his list of names. Nikolai has Frederik & Felix has Christian in their list of names. I guess it keeps the continuation going if something were to happen to the one ahead of them in the list

Old 10-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Victor Nikolas Otto Constintine Marcos Stephen Johan
Sofia Magdelana Mary Henrietta Ingrid Andrea Cathryn :)
Old 10-28-2006, 06:44 PM

what about a real aussie name .....like Kylie :). Princess Kylie has a ring to it
Old 10-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Serene Highness

Ingrid and Henrietta sound so old -fashioned to me , i hope they don´t use them
Old 10-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Royal Highness

I think Ingrid, Henrietta, and Margrethe are all in the running as middle names for a girl but not as a first name. We all kind of knew with Christian what his name would be because there's such a long-standing tradition of Frederik/Christian for future kings. Since there isn't such a precedent for girls, I think any "royal" sounding name is fair game if it hasn't already been used yet. If they have a boy, I have no idea!
Old 10-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Nobility

Has anyone mentioned "Frederikke" if it's a girl???

How about

"Mary Frederikke Margrethe Ingrid"

That should cover just about all the bases!
Old 10-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Aristocracy

I think there is a real formula to constructing a "royal name"...as someone has mentioned, Joachim has Christian as one his names, as do Nikolai (Frederik) and Felix (Christian)...so if something happen in the line of succession, they could use those name to rule under...for example, if God forbid something was to happen to Frederik and Christian...Joachim would be known as King Christian ??

So with the first child their is more leeway with subsequent names, but the first name HAS to be Christian (or Margrethe?)...That is probably why Mary was able to squeeze "John" in there somewhere, after her father and brother...

I think the formula is, using *Christian Valdemar Henri John* as an example is: essential, unusual, family, family...So if they had a girl it will follow the same formula, but a second boy might be: unusual, family, family, essential

So here are some combos:

The Prince:
Harald Joachim Aage Frederik (Prince Harry)
Wilhelm Henrik Abel Frederik (Prince Wil)

The Princess:
Margrethe Thyra Olympia Maria
Margrethe Thyra Matilda Maria
Margrethe Ingrid Dagmar Maria, etc

Possible pool of names for boys: Aage, Vilhelm, Harald, Johannes, Abel, Joachim, Holger, Henrik, Frederik

Possible pool of names for girls: Margrethe, Henrietta, Ingrid, Olympia, Maria, Dagmar, Matilda, Thyra, Ingeborg, Thorhildur

Sorry for such a long post...but I love names and especially hypothetical Danish royal ones
Old 10-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Courtier

Matilda! Now there's a suggestion!

Although Australian sensibilities don't need to be considered for one moment as the baby's name is Denmark's business, 'Matilda' would delight most Aussies as much as 'Dagmar' might dismay them. I cringe at the thought of snide newspaper reports here about 'Princess Daggy'.

For those who don't know, and that's probably everyone who's not in Australia, New Zealand or the UK, 'Waltzing Matilda' is Australia's most famous national, and to many Aussies, most beloved song.

Polly
Old 10-28-2006, 11:35 PM
Nobility

A nickname for Dagmar could be "Dasha"...maybe that's only in Slavic countries?

What's a Danish nickname for Dagmar? I really like it; I always think of the Dagmar necklace that all the daughters of Christian IX got when they married (Alexandra's is still worn by Queen Elizabeth, I think).
Old 10-29-2006, 12:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly
Matilda! Now there's a suggestion!

Although Australian sensibilities don't need to be considered for one moment as the baby's name is Denmark's business, 'Matilda' would delight most Aussies as much as 'Dagmar' might dismay them. I cringe at the thought of snide newspaper reports here about 'Princess Daggy'.

For those who don't know, and that's probably everyone who's not in Australia, New Zealand or the UK, 'Waltzing Matilda' is Australia's most famous national, and to many Aussies, most beloved song.

Polly
I personally hate the song 'Walzing Matilda' so I hope the baby doesn't get Matilda has one of the names. Somebody suggested Emma if Mary and Frederik are thinking of giving the baby a name that is used in both counties Emma would be a good choice.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:44 AM
Courtier

I'm not wild about the song, but I don't hate it. And there's no denying that it's the most popular of all Australian songs.

I like the name Matilda/Mathilde, and there's already a royal with that same name, too.

Polly
Old 10-29-2006, 01:15 AM
Commoner

i pray and hope its a little princess but my gut feeling is a boy.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:20 AM
Commoner

i reckon if it's a little princess, the name henrietta will be somewhere in there.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:49 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeara
I think there is a real formula to constructing a "royal name"...as someone has mentioned, Joachim has Christian as one his names, as do Nikolai (Frederik) and Felix (Christian)...so if something happen in the line of succession, they could use those name to rule under...for example, if God forbid something was to happen to Frederik and Christian...Joachim would be known as King Christian ??

So with the first child their is more leeway with subsequent names, but the first name HAS to be Christian (or Margrethe?)...That is probably why Mary was able to squeeze "John" in there somewhere, after her father and brother...

I think the formula is, using *Christian Valdemar Henri John* as an example is: essential, unusual, family, family...So if they had a girl it will follow the same formula, but a second boy might be: unusual, family, family, essential
Frederik and Mary did follow some kind of "formula" for Christian's name (I thought it was touching how they gave tribute to both grandfathers) but Valdemar is by no means unusual in Denmark. It is a very Danish name and has been the name of several Danish Kings.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:19 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by soCal girl
...but Valdemar is by no means unusual in Denmark. It is a very Danish name and has been the name of several Danish Kings.
For example Valdemar Sejr = Valdemar the Victorius
- married to a queen Dagmar.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:33 AM
Aristocracy

With regards to Valdemar, I meant "unusual" in the fact that it is Old Danish...correct me if I am wrong, but Valdemar is not used much these days, expect maybe as a middle name and by the ruling elite...Check Jo of Palatine's post with the most popular names for Danish males in 2003...Not a Valdemar to be seen (post #50...I am not sure how to quote?)
Old 10-29-2006, 08:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Bluffton
A nickname for Dagmar could be "Dasha"...maybe that's only in Slavic countries?

What's a Danish nickname for Dagmar? I really like it; I always think of the Dagmar necklace that all the daughters of Christian IX got when they married (Alexandra's is still worn by Queen Elizabeth, I think).
In Denmark you do not really have a tradition for nick names derived from altering first name. You usually use first name without alterations.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Girl: Elizabeth Ingrid Alice Maud Mary Henrietta Emma
Boy:Adolf-Luwig Henrik Carl Edmund Wilhelm Franz Michael
Old 10-29-2006, 03:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
Boy:Adolf-Luwig Henrik Carl Edmund Wilhelm Franz Michael
I'm sure Adolf is an absolute no-no in all Scandinavian states as well as in Germany, even though the war is already 60 years behind us!

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Closed Thread

Tags
godparents, lilleprinsesse, princess isabella