Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's Second Pregnancy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is it a boy or girl?

• Boy

Votes: 84 33.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 157 61.8%
  • Twins: boy & girl

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Twins: 2 boys

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Twins: 2 girls

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
MargreteI said:
There was 226 Adolf's in 2005 declining with 19 to 207 in 2006. My guess is they are older and dying out fast.

Anyway if you want to check how many carry your great idear, here the place to find out how creative you were ::)

http://www.dst.dk/Statistik/Navne/Document.aspx?path=%2fhomedk%2fstatistik%2fnavne%2fhvormange&layout={AB08C697-2973-4A81-98AC-E038190BA8DB}

Fornavn : First name
Efternavn : Last name

Mand : Man
Kvinde Woman

Søg : Search
Ryd : Clear

Hey, there are only 8 woman with my original first name in Denmark (Josephine is my second and the one I use since childhood)... I knew it was rare but still...

Okay, here are my suggestions:

Girl: Caroline Frederikke Henrietta

Boy: Viggo Alexander Frederik (yes, Viggo was used in the family before, it is one of the names of Prince Knud's son Ingolf.)

Last edited:
Some families just make boys. I bet its a boy...

But a girl would be lovely :)

Debby

At this stage I say she is carrying a boy but I might change my mind later on when she shows more tummy.

Stellad

Xeara said:
Does anyone know how the name "Aage" is pronounced? I think it is a really odd pronunciation (to us non-Danes) given how it looks...like you might assume it is "ayj" or "ahg"...but I have a feeling it is more like "ord" or "oh-ah" or something...please tell me, Danes!!!

Its difficult to explain in writing: The double A really means Å - the old-fashioned way of writing Å was two As. The sound is not an A - it's more rounded; the best way I can describe is that it is somewhere between the sound 'ohhh' you make when you are surprised and an A. In Danish, we write 'åhhhh' for 'ohhh' when indicating surprise etc.

The 'g' is not too pronounced, not completely a j sound either.
The pronounciation is probably somewhere between your suggestions 'ayj' and 'oh-ah'. (Sorry, hope I didn't just make you more confused! Hope someone will come to your rescue with a better explanation;) )

Aage is IMO a very oldfashioned name; my father has it as part of a double name and so did my grandfather. I would never choose it for one of my own as I never thought it to be a 'pretty' name.

CasiraghiTrio said:
I also hope for a little girl because Denmark has been too long due for a little princess. But I think it will be a boy. Boy-then-another-boy for Margrethe and Henrik; boy-then-yet-another-boy for Alexandra and Joachim; boy for Fred and Mary.... there seems to be a pattern here! :lol:

I agree, this one will be a boy and the next a girl :)

Lostriver said:
I vote a princess.
yeah me too... she´ll be as beautiful as her mother:wub:
to be honest..wouldn´t mind if it was a boy...:rolleyes:

nylonluva said:
yeah me too... she´ll be as beautiful as her mother:wub:
to be honest..wouldn´t mind if it was a boy...:rolleyes:
None of us really would :flowers: - as always, if it's a healthy child that's all that matters. The rest we're doing her is just fun. Hopefully, the parents to be don't read this ;) ; it can be quite annoying hearing about how a child of the opposite sex would be more in demand than the one(s) you already have (know this from experience as I have three of the same sex)

I hope Princess Mary will have a little girl fingers crossed!:flowers:

for a girl: Henrietta, Ingrid, Josefine.
and for a boy: Gustav, Viktor, Jakob, Rasmus, George.

Since Mary's parents are both scottish (which means she's actually scottish, not australian) I'd love to see some scottish names!! Maybe not for a first name but somewhere in there. Also, I love old norse names.

And here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legendary_Danish_kings it caught my eye that there has been a king called Frodo in Denmark! :lol:

For a boy they might consider adding Hamish, Aidan/Aodhán and for a girl I suggest Eilidh, Isobel, Lilias/Lileas, Mairead (Scottish form of Margaret).

For more conventional names I'd suggest

For a girl: Josephine Thyra Dagmar Henrietta

For a Boy: Sigfrid Dalgleish Aidan Frederik

Henrietta is Mary's mother's name and Dalgleish is Mary's father's second name.

By the way, does anyone know why Mary's maiden name is Donaldson? I am pretty sure is has originally been MacDonald (Mac meaning 'son').

Catharina said:
By the way, does anyone know why Mary's maiden name is Donaldson? I am pretty sure is has originally been MacDonald (Mac meaning 'son').

AFAIK it's the English version of MacDonald which was forced upon the Scots after the British troops succeeded over the Scotish legitimate's troops at Culloden in 1746. IIRC those who changed the name to Donaldson were considered loyal to the Crown. Thus said, I'm so glad that princess Mary was not born a "MacDonald" - just think of what the media would have done of this name!!!

Carl Albert Johann Frederik
Wilhelmina Mary Elizabeth Ingrid :)

If the child is a girl, I would like to see the name Thyra in there somewhere. I think it's a gorgeous name and it has ties to the RF. Maybe Alexandra Thyra Ingrid Margrethe or Thyra Alexandra Ingrid Margrethe.

let couple decide for baby's name

but im really like Ingrid after CP Fred's grandma who died in 2000 and wanted honour of her no matter if Mary wanted another names its their decide whether Mary having girl or boy for names after family's names but i cant blame Mary for more reasons what she wanted it!

I wish I knew more Danish names because I really don't like most of the names that have been posted for a girl. The only thing I can hope is they dont have a girl because I don't think any of the names are beautiful enough for a Princess, IMO. I hope they follow the other royal houses if they have a girl, Ingrid Alexander, Amelia and Alexis, these are beautiful names. I don't mean this to offend anyone just my personnel opinion.

Catharina said:
Since Mary's parents are both scottish (which means she's actually scottish, not australian) I'd love to see some scottish names!! Maybe not for a first name but somewhere in there. Also, I love old norse names.
I don't agree with you, Catharina. My parents are not Australian-born but I was born here, and, more importantly, raised here. I'm most definitely Australian, first and foremost.:)

If it's a girl, I'll suggest Dagmar to honor the recent Czarina they reburied in Russia.
If it's a boy, you know the tradition of name skiping in Denmark.

Now, kidding a little, what about these dramatic names like Ragnarok for a boy or Valhalla for a girl? Very retro-viking, could start a whole new trend!

Last edited:
Valdermar Carl Albert Johan Victor Christian Edvard Viggo :)

Rebafan81 said:
I wish I knew more Danish names because I really don't like most of the names that have been posted for a girl. The only thing I can hope is they dont have a girl because I don't think any of the names are beautiful enough for a Princess, IMO. I hope they follow the other royal houses if they have a girl, Ingrid Alexander, Amelia and Alexis, these are beautiful names. I don't mean this to offend anyone just my personnel opinion.
Rebafan, try this link for girls' names http://www.babyklar.dk/artikler/pigenavne.htm and this for boys' names http://www.babyklar.dk/artikler/drengenavne.htm.
This should be the lists of approved names and you can just click the individual letters to see the selection. At a quick glance it seems to comprise a lot of old-fashioned names as well which I don't know anybody who are named today - but of course they may reappear.
I don't know whether for example a name like Alexis is 'natural' to Holland; it wouldn't be in Denmark; I would personally prefer a name which has relevance to Frederik's and Mary's own roots.

Royal Fan said:
They use only 4 names i guess

Royal Fan said:

Yes I would go with the name VIGGO yes please :ROFLMAO:

If it's a boy, I like Alexander Frederik Edvard Victor.

A girl:
Annebell Margrethe Synni

A boy:
Sondre Henrik Sven

Polly said:
I don't agree with you, Catharina. My parents are not Australian-born but I was born here, and, more importantly, raised here. I'm most definitely Australian, first and foremost.:)

I agree, Polly.

My father is foreign born and my mother is the daughter of European's herself. Speaking as someone with such strong European descent, does this mean that I am not Australian, though I was born and raised here? I think not.

Like you, I'm an Australian first and foremost and recognise within myself the values and beliefs that are attributed to our way of life.

For anyone to say that Mary was not Australian is very much the innacurate statement because she most certainly was. An Australian of European descent.

First, foremost and above all else :flowers:

Last edited:
Toledo said:
If it's a girl, I'll suggest Dagmar to honor the recent Czarina they reburied in Russia.
If it's a boy, you know the tradition of name skiping in Denmark.

Now, kidding a little, what about these dramatic names like Ragnarok for a boy or Valhalla for a girl? Very retro-viking, could start a whole new trend!

In Denmark there are very restrivted rules of what you are alowed to call your children. If its a special name you have to ask the state if its ok.
You simply just cant choose names as "Prince" "Apple" and so on like you can in the states

Toledo said:

You would have to pursuade the Minister for Family and Consumer Affairs first ;) ... and then the Royal Family.

I not sure which would be harder. *lol*

Here you are:

Scottish names http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/sco.php

- for a girl:
Abi from Abigail "my father is joy" ,
Aileen
Bridget
Kirsten

- for a boy
Allan,
Amhlaidh scottish Olaf,
Gilroy
Kenneth
Malcolm
Scot

Last edited:
Some wildcard names they might choose:

For the Prince: Viggo, Gustav/Gustaf, Sebastian, Rupert, Georg, Olaf/Olav, Arthur

For the Princess: Isabella, Lucinda, Adelaide, Beatrix, Martha, Alice, Annika, Eloise, Xenia, Zara

(Some are names of actual past Royalty and others just sound like they should be ;) )

Jane might be a possible middle name for a girl after Mary's sister and it does sound similar to John...so it might be a bit of a theme...for example:

Christian Valdemar Henri John and

Magrethe Dagmar Henrietta Jane (I don't know, merely speculating)

question. was there a scand. prince called viggo? :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom