The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Is it a boy or girl?
Boy 85 33.33%
Girl 157 61.57%
Twins: boy & girl 6 2.35%
Twins: 2 boys 2 0.78%
Twins: 2 girls 5 1.96%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinacg
I think Marietta is gorgeous and would be very appropriate!

Marietta isn't even an actual conventional name, hence why I doubt they'd use it. Why not name the kid Atlanta or San Francisco?

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Courtier

I looked Marietta up today, and it is an actual name !

Old 04-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Heir Apparent

MARIETTA
Italian pet form of MARIA

Related names to Marietta Behind the Name: Search Results
Old 04-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
MARIETTA
Italian pet form of MARIA

Related names to Marietta Behind the Name: Search Results

It's the name of a city in Georgia. It is not an appropriate name to give a princess. Like I said, let's go ahead and name the kid Atlanta or Dallas.....I know people who gave their children those names.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Georgia, Nevada, Virginia, Carolina, Idaho...
Old 04-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Georgia, Nevada, Virginia, Carolina, Idaho...
I don't know anyone named Marietta [I've never even heard of the name being used in the United States] but I know plenty of Georgias and Virginias. Same goes for Carolina. My best friend in grammar school was named Carolina. But those 3 names are commonly accepted names for girls.....I've never heard of Marietta being one of them.

Nevada and Idaho? Who names their kid Idaho? That's not even remotely attractive.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Heir Apparent

There was one (Duncan) Idaho on Herebert's Dune.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
There was one (Duncan) Idaho on Herebert's Dune.
That's a last name. Not a first name. That's not the same thing. That's not the name chosen for a child. There are a ton of last names that would never make an appropriate first name for any child, especially a royal one. Idaho is a great example. Besides, that's fictional.

I'd like to see them give their daughter a traditional, yet beautiful name. Charlotte, Louise, Marie, Alexandra, Sophia, Theresa, Ingrid, Margrethe....something like that.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Right. What about Astrid?
Old 04-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Right. What about Astrid?

That's a gorgeous name. I think it would be very fitting.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Courtier

I doubt Mary and Frederik even know there's a city called Marietta in the States .. I'm sure most of the world population doesn't even know ..

I've looked this entire thread through and here are my very faves for Mary and Frederik:

Sophie (or even better Sophia, but I doubt that one, since the new spanish princess' name is Sofia)
Louise
Emma
Catherine
Isabella
Laura
Marietta
Clara
Ida

And then three VERY regal middlenames : Ingrid Magrethe Henrietta.
I hope it has an "A" at the end ..
Old 04-29-2007, 02:48 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
Marietta isn't even an actual conventional name, hence why I doubt they'd use it. Why not name the kid Atlanta or San Francisco?
It's an actual name here... a very old one ...
and I quite like this name!
(even if I had to think about Marietta Slomka (a German ZDF NEWS Lady) all the time ).

Old 04-29-2007, 03:01 PM
Courtier

Hope they donīt decide to name her some kind of "Sophie" īcause since today we have a new little infanta in Spain and her name will be Sofia
Old 04-29-2007, 03:02 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty
It's an actual name here... a very old one ...
and I quite like this name!
(even if I had to think about Marietta Slomka (a German ZDF NEWS Lady) all the time ).

There are 81 Marietta's in Denmark. Just to get the stats right. It is surely a name here and old names are back in style so maybe.

Stil prefere Thyra though
Old 04-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie
Hope they donīt decide to name her some kind of "Sophie" īcause since today we have a new little infanta in Spain and her name will be Sofia
Maybe they have already decided the name.. I'm pretty sure, that whatever they have decided right now, won't be chamged just because a princess in another country has been named the same..
Old 04-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I vote for her big friend from Australia to be the godmother!
Old 04-30-2007, 02:12 AM
Commoner

Red face

Marietta is a great idea but I'm pretty sure there's a song or musical called "Naughty Marietta".... and I can see the headlines in a few years time.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:22 AM
Gentry

I thought one thing: maybe they will name her Ingrid. The princess in Norway is not Ingrid, it's Ingrid Alexandra and she will be known as queen Ingrid Alexandra. The little Danish princess won't be queen. Her calling name would be only Ingrid. It's a little difference between these two princesses
Old 04-30-2007, 08:53 AM
Gentry

I'd expect Ingrid Alexandra to drop the second name when she grows up, like her father dropped Magnus from his name. It's a rather unwieldy name and she's likely called simply Ingrid, just like her brother is probably called simply Sverre.

I think Ingrid may be part of this princess's name, but I doubt it will be a first name. I think the first name will be traditional, well-used in the royal family, and probably not used for any small children in this generation of European royal families. I'm still liking Caroline as a first name, with Ingrid, Henrietta, and Margrethe as middle names.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestocking
I'd expect Ingrid Alexandra to drop the second name when she grows up, like her father dropped Magnus from his name. It's a rather unwieldy name and she's likely called simply Ingrid, just like her brother is probably called simply Sverre.
Norwegian Ingrid Alexandra is already just called ( and known as) Ingrid, that's what her parents call her, Mette-Marit said that in an interview. Her brother Sverre Magnus is actually called Magnus by his family.

Tags
godparents, lilleprinsesse, princess isabella