The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Is it a boy or girl?
Boy 85 33.33%
Girl 157 61.57%
Twins: boy & girl 6 2.35%
Twins: 2 boys 2 0.78%
Twins: 2 girls 5 1.96%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 12:18 AM
Aristocracy

My humble suggestions...

Well I have been a "lurker" at this site for so long andwith this most recent announcement, I thought I would like put in my *two cents*...For what it is worth...I was pretty close with #1...I thought "Christian Valdemar Henrik John"...but they went with the French spelling, which also then honours Mary's mother...

So my new revised names are:

The Prince: Johannes Abel Harald Frederik

The Princess: Henrietta Ingrid Olympia Maria or
The Princess: Margrethe Dagmar Ingrid Maria

I could explain my reasons behind each name but this is my first post and I want to get off to a good start

Old 10-27-2006, 12:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeara
Well I have been a "lurker" at this site for so long andwith this most recent announcement, I thought I would like put in my *two cents*...For what it is worth...I was pretty close with #1...I thought "Christian Valdemar Henrik John"...but they went with the French spelling, which also then honours Mary's mother...

So my new revised names are:

The Prince: Johannes Abel Harald Frederik

The Princess: Henrietta Ingrid Olympia Maria or
The Princess: Margrethe Dagmar Ingrid Maria

I could explain my reasons behind each name but this is my first post and I want to get off to a good start
Welcome to the forum Xeara and I can see you have made a very good effort at suggesting names for Frederik's and Mary's next child.

Happy posting!

Old 10-27-2006, 12:47 AM
Nobility

I'm not sure about a name for a prince but I like these for a princess

Ingrid Margrethe Henrietta Marie

or

Henrietta Marie Ingrid Margrethe
Old 10-27-2006, 01:39 AM
Serene Highness

I must say if they have a girl and use Ingrid, I hope it will be a second/third/fourth name! Two princess Ingrid's would get confusing! Not to mention the Ingrid in the Berleburg branch of the family as well.
My suggestions for a Princess:
Alexandrine Ingrid Dagmar Louise
Margrethe Thyra Ingeborg Dagmar
Marie Henrietta Thyra Sophie

And for a Prince:
Henrik Christian Carl Valdemar
Axel Gustav John Frederik
Valdemar Frederik Harald Mathias
Old 10-27-2006, 01:41 AM
Aristocracy

i am voting that it will be a girl.
billie-jo
Old 10-27-2006, 01:45 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

I also voted for a girl!
A lovely little mini-Mary!! :)
Old 10-27-2006, 01:58 AM
Aristocracy

I think this second child should diffenetly have a stronger link to mary and her routs, in tearms of the name. So if it is a girl I think a combination of Henrietta and Ingrid would be nice. Perhaps also with Elizabeth.

As for a boy, and really also for a girl, there are many old royal names, most of them have already been mentioned...Axel, Gustav, Harald, Valdemar...

I think I might ne nice if they used the name Hobart as one of the names, from Mary's birthplace...I think since this is the second child, they can be a little less formal and I like Hobart....
Old 10-27-2006, 02:00 AM
Aristocracy

I guessed a girl....But mostly I just think Mary deserves a little girl...
Old 10-27-2006, 02:15 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

I think that if the baby is a girl, Henrietta and Ingrid are pretty much sure bets. Henrietta being after Mary's mother, and Ingrid after Fred's gradmother. I think they might also add a 'Margrethe' in the name if it's a girl, but not as the first name...maybe as the third or fourth.
A couple of possible name formations:
> Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe Dagmar
> Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe Mary/Marie
> Henrietta Ingrid Mary/Marie Dagmar
> Ingrid Henrietta Dagmar Margrethe

For a boy, I have no clue! I don't really know many Danish boy names, the only ones I know are really Hamlet, Christian, Frederik and Knud. I hope they don't use Knud as a first name though....

Someone asked in an earlier post whether it would be hard for an Australian to pronounce 'Dagmar'. I'm Australia, and I don't find it hard to pronounce Dagmar. But I am also half-European and can speak 2 other languages so I can pick up on the pronunciation of words quickly. Althought I had no idea how to pronounce Haakon...
I don't think it would be hard for Aussies to pronounce Dagmar, but maybe some other Australian members could respond as well
Old 10-27-2006, 02:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

I as an Aussie, have no problems pronouncing Dagmar, it's pretty straightforward, at least i think so
Old 10-27-2006, 02:37 AM
Nobility

I remember when it was announced, Prince Christian's birth, New Idea published a 6 page cover story about baby names, godparents, changes to the succession, maternity fashion and the events that Mary participated in right from when she became Crown Princess to announcing the birth of Christian.
From what I can remember:
Girl:
-Henrietta
-Louise
-Ingrid
-Margrethe
Boy:
-Christian
-Frederick
-Nikoli
-Henrik
-Knud
-Axel
Personally, I think that they will use:
[Girl]
Henrietta
Louise
Ingrid
Margrethe
Alexandra
Martha (I have an inckling feeling that Princess Martha-Louise of Norway might be one of many, god-mothers)
-Princess Martha/Louise Ingrid Margrethe Henrietta of Denmark
-Princess Ingrid Margrethe Martha/Louise Henrietta of Denmark
-Princess Ingrid Henrietta Margrethe Martha/Louise of Denmark
Old 10-27-2006, 02:47 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz
I think that if the baby is a girl, Henrietta and Ingrid are pretty much sure bets. Henrietta being after Mary's mother, and Ingrid after Fred's gradmother. I think they might also add a 'Margrethe' in the name if it's a girl, but not as the first name...maybe as the third or fourth.
A couple of possible name formations:
> Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe Dagmar
> Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe Mary/Marie
> Henrietta Ingrid Mary/Marie Dagmar
> Ingrid Henrietta Dagmar Margrethe

For a boy, I have no clue! I don't really know many Danish boy names, the only ones I know are really Hamlet, Christian, Frederik and Knud. I hope they don't use Knud as a first name though....

Someone asked in an earlier post whether it would be hard for an Australian to pronounce 'Dagmar'. I'm Australia, and I don't find it hard to pronounce Dagmar. But I am also half-European and can speak 2 other languages so I can pick up on the pronunciation of words quickly. Althought I had no idea how to pronounce Haakon...
I don't think it would be hard for Aussies to pronounce Dagmar, but maybe some other Australian members could respond as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
I as an Aussie, have no problems pronouncing Dagmar, it's pretty straightforward, at least i think so
I have no troubles pronouncing the name, Dagmar. Is it or is it not pronounced, Dag (like in [T]ag) - mar (like in Mar[ch]) and Haa-kon . Oh well, I have no idea. If my german skills is anything to come by pronouncing the name Dagmar...Deagmaar...Haar[d]coon...oh, I have no idea.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:57 AM
Nobility

I voted for a girl, just like JessRulz said, "A little-Mary".
But I also have a strong feeling that it might be a boy, why science/biology.
I have no idea whether Prince Henrik has siblings and whether those siblings are mostly male but I read somehwere that if one partner is from a family that has a lot female members (sisters, that become aunts and henceforth)and the other partner comes from a family with a lot of female members born into it, any child[ren] they have will be, likely, female, and vice versa.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:00 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jennifer
It would be great to see a cute little girl surrounded by by her big brother & older cousins watching over her & making sure no one picks on her .
That would be very adorable . Little-Mary relying on her big brother, Christian, and the whole Gluckbourg family coming together, watching over her.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:01 AM
Nobility

I vote for a little girl with Mary's coloring this time
Old 10-27-2006, 03:25 AM
Nobility

I voted for a boy but I would really love it to be a little girl.

It does appear though that boys are more common in the Danish Royal Family.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by flctylu
If my german skills is anything to come by pronouncing the name Dagmar...Deagmaar...Haar[d]coon...oh, I have no idea.
In German it would be twice a clear and long "a" like in "bar". Dagmar. While I heard that the norwegian double "a" is spoken like an English "o" like in "hole", only slightly longer, as if a "h" was added. - it's Hohkon. IMHO.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyS
I voted for a boy but I would really love it to be a little girl.

It does appear though that boys are more common in the Danish Royal Family.
Can't be as there were three girls in the currently ruling generation. As the father determines the gender of the child, probably the superior numbers of males comes from prince Henrik's side. Well, you never know. That's what makes it so much fun to guess...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

I voted for a girl, but I have impression it is gonna be a second boy... I don't know why! Wheather boy or girl, the baby will be as cute as his/her big brother and cousins

Old 10-27-2006, 03:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Important thing to note with Dagmar is that g in the middle of words in Danish tend to be "swallowed" - so one guess at the pronounciation is Dahwmahr - and not with the heavy German/Swedish/Norwegian G in the middle.

Tags
godparents, lilleprinsesse, princess isabella