Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's Second Pregnancy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is it a boy or girl?

• Boy

Votes: 84 33.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 157 61.8%
  • Twins: boy & girl

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Twins: 2 boys

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Twins: 2 girls

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
H.M. Margrethe said:
We pronounnce the name just lige Tyra Banks you know a famus model..

The name sounds like Thy-ra in Danish and in English and American it is Ty-ra

When watching my DVD of "A Royal Family" I noticed that Queen Margrethe pronounced the name as "Tew-ra".

wymanda said:
When watching my DVD of "A Royal Family" I noticed that Queen Margrethe pronounced the name as "Tew-ra".

Well, I think the Queen is a suitable source for the pronounciation of the name. The way you said she pronounced it matched the way someone else said (a Dane) said it should be pronounced: T- the "u" in the French word une - ra.

So I think that's our definitive answer. The name Thyra is pronounced Tew-ra.

BeautyLeonor said:
Why not Elizabeth? I like it

I dont think they will call her Elizabeth as her first name because we already have a princess Elisabeth in Denmark(8th in line to the throne)

Sister Morphine said:
I doubt they'll name her Sophie now that the Infanta in Spain is named Sofia.

Sofia and the danish princess have a absolutely nothing to do with each other, so why not ?

MissSaga said:
Sofia and the danish princess have a absolutely nothing to do with each other, so why not ?

They don't need to have anything to do with each other. I can't see them naming the baby Ingrid, with Ingrid Alexandra in Norway. With the babies this close in age to one another, it's doubtful they'd give them similar or identical names.

Sister Morphine said:
They don't need to have anything to do with each other. I can't see them naming the baby Ingrid, with Ingrid Alexandra in Norway. With the babies this close in age to one another, it's doubtful they'd give them similar or identical names.

But it's just a coincidence that the Danish Royal Family announce the name at the christening and that the Spanish royal family do not, so, IF Frederik and Mary have already decided their daughter to be named Sophie, they will not change it just because, 8 days after their daughter is born, the spanish princely couple get a daughter, whom they choose to call Sofia.

Names of Kings of Denmark wives:
Caroline Matilda Pss of Great Britain, Ireland and Hannoverspouse of Christian VII
Marie Landgravine of Hesse-Kassel spouse of Frederik VI
Charlotte Dss of Mecklenburg-Schwerin 1st spouse of Christian VIII
Pss Karoline of Schleswig-Holstein- Sonderburg-Augustenburg 2nd spouse of Christian VIII
Wilhelmine Pss of Denmark 1st spouse of Frederik VII
Caroline Dss of Mecklenburg-Strelitz 2nd spouse of FVII
Lovisa Christina, cr Lehnsgräfin Danner 3rd spouse of FVII
Luise Pss of Hesse-Kassel spouse of Christian IX
Luise Pss of Sweden and Norway spouse of Frederik VIII
Alexandrine Dss of Mecklenburg-Schwerin spouse of Christian X
Ingrid Pss of Sweden spouse of Frederik IX
Margrethe II Queen of Denmark

Btw. how about Christina Margrethe Henrietta Ingrid?

Maybe Fred and Mary do the same what Willem and Maxima had done with tripple A - double C/Ch?

Last edited:
magnik said:
Names of Kings of Denmark wives:
Caroline Matilda Pss of Great Britain, Ireland and Hannoverspouse of Christian VII
Marie Landgravine of Hesse-Kassel spouse of Frederik VI
Charlotte Dss of Mecklenburg-Schwerin 1st spouse of Christian VIII
Pss Karoline of Schleswig-Holstein- Sonderburg-Augustenburg 2nd spouse of Christian VIII
Wilhelmine Pss of Denmark 1st spouse of Frederik VII
Caroline Dss of Mecklenburg-Strelitz 2nd spouse of FVII
Lovisa Christina, cr Lehnsgräfin Danner 3rd spouse of FVII
Luise Pss of Hesse-Kassel spouse of Christian IX
Luise Pss of Sweden and Norway spouse of Frederik VIII
Alexandrine Dss of Mecklenburg-Schwerin spouse of Christian X
Ingrid Pss of Sweden spouse of Frederik IX
Margrethe II Queen of Denmark
Margrethe is not wife of a king :flowers: She is the "king" herself.

I know and that's why I wrote her with the title of the Queen of Denmark not a with "spouse of ...":flowers:

Last edited:
In my opinion the best names for the little princess are Charlotte or Astrid/Estrid

Well, if Henrik gets his way she will be the spouse of a King soon enough ;)

I would love to see her bein named something a little old, royal and still feminine. As someone suggested I think Astrid would be quite suitable. It´s royal (Crown princess Astrid of Belgium) and there´s no other royal cutie named that. Another suggestion is Tea. I don´t know if there ever was a royal named that but it could fit for one and as the modern parents Frederik and Mary are they would be likeable to use a not so traditional royal name. Princess Tea/ Princess Astrid of Denmark :) what do you think?

Matilda, Charlotte or Louisa with the middle names Ingrid Margrethe Henrietta:wub:

Ingrid Margrethe Henrietta
or
Astrid Margrethe Henrietta.

Louisa or Charlotte would also be nice.

LaPlusBelle: I think Marengo meant that if Henrik is one day named King instead of Prince, then Queen Margrethe will be the spouse of a King!:)

Louisa would be a good choice. Just Louisa. I don't like long names

H.M. Margrethe said:
We pronounnce the name just lige Tyra Banks you know a famus model..

The name sounds like Thy-ra in Danish and in English and American it is Ty-ra

Thanks HMM for the explanation.

Btw, I still find it very curious that the little princess has to wait until baptism for a name to be given. Two days waiting for little Dutch princess Ariane to be named was way too much ... this is just exasperating! :ROFLMAO:

Verde Esmeralda said:
Thanks HMM for the explanation.

Btw, I still find it very curious that the little princess has to wait until baptism for a name to be given. Two days waiting for little Dutch princess Ariane to be named was way too much ... this is just exasperating! :ROFLMAO:

I know, but on the plus side it does give us good practice with our patience!:) However, I personally like how the Spanish and Dutch families did it, not waiting a long time. But I think its Danish tradition to wait until the christening to announce the name, and you can't break with tradition.

acdc1 said:
I know, but on the plus side it does give us good practice with our patience!:) However, I personally like how the Spanish and Dutch families did it, not waiting a long time. But I think its Danish tradition to wait until the christening to announce the name, and you can't break with tradition.

You´re right it is a tradition, a very old one I think, and it got started because people thought it "saved" the little baby from the evil and the devil.

Personally I agree with everyone else that it is painful to have to wait that long. But I also like the anticipation that comes with not knowing it and we get to get some very good discussions out of it. The whole thing is not just done in a few days. Not really that exciting to watch the christening if you know the name already imo.

I'm sure the child has a name already. Some of you saying that it's silly to wait until the Christening to name the baby are thinking the child is nameless until then. Fred and Mary probably picked the names before the child was born and are merely waiting to make them public until the Christening. This whole waiting thing is for the public to know the names, not for them to make up their minds. Most parents know what they'll name the child before the birth anyhow.

I am steering away from Henrietta as a first name now...I really think they will/have go/gone for an unusual but royal, traditional but obscure name...

Xenia Dagmar Henrietta Ingrid

Xeara said:
I am steering away from Henrietta as a first name now...I really think they will/have go/gone for an unusual but royal, traditional but obscure name...

Xenia Dagmar Henrietta Ingrid

Xenia is a beautiful name. So is Tatiana, but I doubt they'd use it.

Queen Anne-Marie - The last Princess born in Denmark
Queen Elizabeth II - As she was born on her birthday
Prince Joachim
Jane Stephens

Last edited:
She does look a little like a little Isabella! :)

Sister Morphine said:
I'm sure the child has a name already. Some of you saying that it's silly to wait until the Christening to name the baby are thinking the child is nameless until then. Fred and Mary probably picked the names before the child was born and are merely waiting to make them public until the Christening. This whole waiting thing is for the public to know the names, not for them to make up their minds. Most parents know what they'll name the child before the birth anyhow.

Of course she has a name already. It's just silly to wait til July 1 to announce it. It's just a name. I know it's a tradition, but what is really the point of waiting, you know?

She looks like a little Alice to me:wub:

Now that we've gotten a good picture of her I think she looks like a Sophie. She's such a cute little girl, she needs a cute fresh name. Save Henrietta and Margrethe for the middle names.

Having seen the new photos of the adorable little princess, I think that the name Asta would suit her well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom