Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's Second Pregnancy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is it a boy or girl?

• Boy

Votes: 84 33.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 157 61.8%
  • Twins: boy & girl

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Twins: 2 boys

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Twins: 2 girls

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My humble suggestions...

Well I have been a "lurker" at this site for so long andwith this most recent announcement, I thought I would like put in my *two cents*...For what it is worth...I was pretty close with #1...I thought "Christian Valdemar Henrik John"...but they went with the French spelling, which also then honours Mary's mother...

So my new revised names are:

The Prince: Johannes Abel Harald Frederik

The Princess: Henrietta Ingrid Olympia Maria or
The Princess: Margrethe Dagmar Ingrid Maria

I could explain my reasons behind each name but this is my first post and I want to get off to a good start ;)

Xeara said:
Well I have been a "lurker" at this site for so long andwith this most recent announcement, I thought I would like put in my *two cents*...For what it is worth...I was pretty close with #1...I thought "Christian Valdemar Henrik John"...but they went with the French spelling, which also then honours Mary's mother...

So my new revised names are:

The Prince: Johannes Abel Harald Frederik

The Princess: Henrietta Ingrid Olympia Maria or
The Princess: Margrethe Dagmar Ingrid Maria

I could explain my reasons behind each name but this is my first post and I want to get off to a good start ;)

Welcome to the forum Xeara and I can see you have made a very good effort at suggesting names for Frederik's and Mary's next child.

Happy posting!

I'm not sure about a name for a prince but I like these for a princess

Ingrid Margrethe Henrietta Marie

or

Henrietta Marie Ingrid Margrethe

I must say if they have a girl and use Ingrid, I hope it will be a second/third/fourth name! Two princess Ingrid's would get confusing! :ohmy: Not to mention the Ingrid in the Berleburg branch of the family as well.
My suggestions for a Princess:
Alexandrine Ingrid Dagmar Louise
Margrethe Thyra Ingeborg Dagmar
Marie Henrietta Thyra Sophie

And for a Prince:
Henrik Christian Carl Valdemar
Axel Gustav John Frederik
Valdemar Frederik Harald Mathias

i am voting that it will be a girl.
billie-jo

I also voted for a girl!
A lovely little mini-Mary!! :)

I think this second child should diffenetly have a stronger link to mary and her routs, in tearms of the name. So if it is a girl I think a combination of Henrietta and Ingrid would be nice. Perhaps also with Elizabeth.

As for a boy, and really also for a girl, there are many old royal names, most of them have already been mentioned...Axel, Gustav, Harald, Valdemar...

I think I might ne nice if they used the name Hobart as one of the names, from Mary's birthplace...I think since this is the second child, they can be a little less formal and I like Hobart....

I guessed a girl....But mostly I just think Mary deserves a little girl...

I think that if the baby is a girl, Henrietta and Ingrid are pretty much sure bets. Henrietta being after Mary's mother, and Ingrid after Fred's gradmother. I think they might also add a 'Margrethe' in the name if it's a girl, but not as the first name...maybe as the third or fourth.
A couple of possible name formations:
> Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe Dagmar
> Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe Mary/Marie
> Henrietta Ingrid Mary/Marie Dagmar
> Ingrid Henrietta Dagmar Margrethe

For a boy, I have no clue! I don't really know many Danish boy names, the only ones I know are really Hamlet, Christian, Frederik and Knud. I hope they don't use Knud as a first name though....

Someone asked in an earlier post whether it would be hard for an Australian to pronounce 'Dagmar'. I'm Australia, and I don't find it hard to pronounce Dagmar. But I am also half-European and can speak 2 other languages so I can pick up on the pronunciation of words quickly. Althought I had no idea how to pronounce Haakon...
I don't think it would be hard for Aussies to pronounce Dagmar, but maybe some other Australian members could respond as well :flowers:

I as an Aussie, have no problems pronouncing Dagmar, it's pretty straightforward, at least i think so:)

I remember when it was announced, Prince Christian's birth, New Idea published a 6 page cover story about baby names, godparents, changes to the succession, maternity fashion and the events that Mary participated in right from when she became Crown Princess to announcing the birth of Christian.
From what I can remember:
Girl:
-Henrietta
-Louise
-Ingrid
-Margrethe
Boy:
-Christian
-Frederick
-Nikoli
-Henrik
-Knud
-Axel
Personally, I think that they will use:
[Girl]
Henrietta
Louise
Ingrid
Margrethe
Alexandra
Martha (I have an inckling feeling ;) that Princess Martha-Louise of Norway might be one of many, god-mothers)
-Princess Martha/Louise Ingrid Margrethe Henrietta of Denmark :flowers:
-Princess Ingrid Margrethe Martha/Louise Henrietta of Denmark :flowers:
-Princess Ingrid Henrietta Margrethe Martha/Louise of Denmark :flowers:

Last edited:
JessRulz said:
I think that if the baby is a girl, Henrietta and Ingrid are pretty much sure bets. Henrietta being after Mary's mother, and Ingrid after Fred's gradmother. I think they might also add a 'Margrethe' in the name if it's a girl, but not as the first name...maybe as the third or fourth.
A couple of possible name formations:
> Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe Dagmar
> Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe Mary/Marie
> Henrietta Ingrid Mary/Marie Dagmar
> Ingrid Henrietta Dagmar Margrethe

For a boy, I have no clue! I don't really know many Danish boy names, the only ones I know are really Hamlet, Christian, Frederik and Knud. I hope they don't use Knud as a first name though....

Someone asked in an earlier post whether it would be hard for an Australian to pronounce 'Dagmar'. I'm Australia, and I don't find it hard to pronounce Dagmar. But I am also half-European and can speak 2 other languages so I can pick up on the pronunciation of words quickly. Althought I had no idea how to pronounce Haakon...
I don't think it would be hard for Aussies to pronounce Dagmar, but maybe some other Australian members could respond as well :flowers:
Australian said:
I as an Aussie, have no problems pronouncing Dagmar, it's pretty straightforward, at least i think so:)
I have no troubles pronouncing the name, Dagmar. Is it or is it not pronounced, Dag (like in [T]ag) - mar (like in Mar[ch]) and Haa-kon :flowers: . Oh well, I have no idea. If my german skills is anything to come by pronouncing the name Dagmar...Deagmaar...Haar[d]coon...oh, I have no idea. :flowers:

I voted for a girl, just like JessRulz said, "A little-Mary". :flowers:
But I also have a strong feeling that it might be a boy, why science/biology.
I have no idea whether Prince Henrik has siblings and whether those siblings are mostly male :ermm: but I read somehwere that if one partner is from a family that has a lot female members (sisters, that become aunts and henceforth)and the other partner comes from a family with a lot of female members born into it, any child[ren] they have will be, likely, female, and vice versa.

Lady Jennifer said:
It would be great to see a cute little girl surrounded by by her big brother & older cousins watching over her & making sure no one picks on her :) .
That would be very adorable :wub: . Little-Mary relying on her big brother, Christian, and the whole Gluckbourg family coming together, watching over her.

I vote for a little girl with Mary's coloring this time :flowers:

I voted for a boy but I would really love it to be a little girl.

It does appear though that boys are more common in the Danish Royal Family.

flctylu said:
If my german skills is anything to come by pronouncing the name Dagmar...Deagmaar...Haar[d]coon...oh, I have no idea. :flowers:

In German it would be twice a clear and long "a" like in "bar". Dagmar. While I heard that the norwegian double "a" is spoken like an English "o" like in "hole", only slightly longer, as if a "h" was added. - it's Hohkon. IMHO.

LadyS said:
I voted for a boy but I would really love it to be a little girl.

It does appear though that boys are more common in the Danish Royal Family.

Can't be as there were three girls in the currently ruling generation. As the father determines the gender of the child, probably the superior numbers of males comes from prince Henrik's side. Well, you never know. That's what makes it so much fun to guess...:flowers:

I voted for a girl, but I have impression it is gonna be a second boy... I don't know why! :lol:Wheather boy or girl, the baby will be as cute as his/her big brother and cousins:wub:

Important thing to note with Dagmar is that g in the middle of words in Danish tend to be "swallowed" - so one guess at the pronounciation is Dahwmahr - and not with the heavy German/Swedish/Norwegian G in the middle.

Where doea Dagmar come from, were there any Queen Dagmar?

Elizabeth Margrethe Ingrid Henrietta

rosana said:
Where doea Dagmar come from, were there any Queen Dagmar?
There was - about 800 years ago married to Valdemar Sejr (Valdemar the Victorius):
"Queen Dagmar is one of the most important characters associated with Riberhus Castle. Nevertheless, most of what we know about her we know from folksongs, legends and myths. Dagmar was a Bohemian princess, christened Margaretha Dragomira (“the peace-loving one”) and daughter of Premysl Ottokar I, king of Bohemia, and Adela of Meissen"

There's a bit more about her here: http://www.ribevandrerhjem.dk/index.php?id=70

If it were up to Mary alone, I don't think that Dagmar would be a choice at all. Australians have a habit of shortening names or using diminutives, and 'Dag' isn't an attractive option in my opinion. In the first place, in some parts of the country a 'dag' (which is how Australians would pronounce it - with a hard 'g') can mean someone seriously un-cool; a fool; or a hopeless person. In others, it can mean a buffoon or a clown. I think that Mary might instinctively reject it because of these connotations, but I mean no reflection on the suitability or appeal of the name in an European context.

Someone here also said that 'Henrietta' doesn't sound very good in Danish. Presumably, that won't be any little princess' first name, either. However, there are so many pretty girls names which must resonate well in both languages. I think that 'Ingrid' is a lovely name, incidentally.

Polly

Polly said:
If it were up to Mary alone, I don't think that Dagmar would be a choice at all. Australians have a habit of shortening names or using diminutives, and 'Dag' isn't an attractive option in my opinion.

Hm, here in Germany we shorten Dagmar to Daggi, but thanks to Norwegianne :)flowers: ) I just learned that the Danish to speak the "g", so I have no idea how they would shorten the name. Any idea?

Henrietta would be great, as it refers to both Mary's mother and frederick's father.

I found this list on a German website, they claim it's from the Danish Statistical authority:

Prefered names for girls in 2003:

1. Emma
  2. Julie
  3. Mathilde
  4. Sofie
  5. Laura
  6. Caroline
  7. Cecilie
  8. Ida
  9. Sarah
  10. Freja
  11. Anna
  12. Josefine
  13. Emilie
  14. Amalie
  15. Clara
  16. Katrine
  17. Maja
  18. Signe
  19. Camilla
  20. Marie
For boys in 2003:
  1. Mikkel
  2. Frederik
  3. Mathias
  4. Mads
  5. Rasmus
  6. Emil
  7. Oliver
  8. Christian
  9. Magnus
  10. Lucas
  11. Nikolaj
  12. Victor
  13. Tobias
  14. Jacob
  15. Jonas
  16. Kasper
  17. Marcus
  18. Simon
  19. Andreas
  20. Sebastian
And these were most popular names in Denmark of the whole population (from January 2004)

Women:
  1. Kirsten
  2. Anne
  3. Hanne
  4. Mette
  5. Anna
  6. Helle
  7. Karen
  8. Susanne
  9. Lene
  10. Inge
  11. Inger
  12. Else
  13. Marianne
  14. Bente
  15. Lone
  16. Maria
  17. Jette
  18. Pia
  19. Charlotte
  20. Birthe
Men:
  1. Jens
  2. Peter
  3. Lars
  4. Michael
  5. Hans
  6. Niels
  7. Joergen
  8. Soeren
  9. Henrik
  10. Thomas
  11. Jan
  12. Erik
  13. Ole
  14. Martin
  15. Per
  16. Christian
  17. Anders
  18. Poul
  19. Morten
  20. Jesper

I am usually completely off the mark when it comes to this guessing names and sex of babies but I like these few names:

Girl: Louise, Elizabeth, Victoria, Sophie, Caroline, Henriette, Charlotte

Boy: Alexander, Karl, Michael, Erik

This site lists the genealogy of the Danish Royal family so maybe a few ideas from there
http://pages.prodigy.net/ptheroff/gotha/denmark.html

well, so many Dagmars, so I will opt the other danish royal name:

Thyra Ingrid Margrethe Henriette

Boy:

Axel Joachim Michael Frederik

Thyra is cool :)
There are other very pretty girls name available from Danish history - Leonore Christine, Charlotte Amalie, etc.
And someone mentioned Cecilie - which I would really like (guess who have a daughter by that name...:rolleyes: )

Given the fact that Mary must have just had her pregnancy confirmed when they went to St Petersburg

Princess Dagmar Alexandra Ingrid Peta Adelaide (The final name in honour of Oz)

Prince Peter Alexander Frederick Sydney

Marengo said:
well, so many Dagmars, so I will opt the other danish royal name:

Thyra Ingrid Margrethe Henriette

Boy:

Axel Joachim Michael Frederik

Even though the baby will be born in 2007, thus is grown-up at around 2025 and times are changing rapidly, I don't believe the Danish RF will want another "Thyra". Though the name is beautiful.

What about a Sven Frederick? Sven means "little" and I heard it's quite liked in combination with the name of the father.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom