Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's Second Pregnancy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is it a boy or girl?

• Boy

Votes: 84 33.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 157 61.8%
  • Twins: boy & girl

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Twins: 2 boys

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Twins: 2 girls

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt Mary and Frederik even know there's a city called Marietta in the States .. I'm sure most of the world population doesn't even know ..

I've looked this entire thread through and here are my very faves for Mary and Frederik:

Sophie (or even better Sophia, but I doubt that one, since the new spanish princess' name is Sofia)
Louise
Emma
Catherine
Isabella
Laura
Marietta
Clara
Ida

And then three VERY regal middlenames : Ingrid Magrethe Henrietta.
I hope it has an "A" at the end .. :flowers:

Last edited:
Sister Morphine said:
Marietta isn't even an actual conventional name, hence why I doubt they'd use it. Why not name the kid Atlanta or San Francisco?

It's an actual name here... a very old one ...
and I quite like this name!
(even if I had to think about Marietta Slomka (a German ZDF NEWS Lady) all the time :lol: ).

Hope they don´t decide to name her some kind of "Sophie" ´cause since today we have a new little infanta in Spain and her name will be Sofia

Her_Majesty said:
It's an actual name here... a very old one ...
and I quite like this name!
(even if I had to think about Marietta Slomka (a German ZDF NEWS Lady) all the time :lol: ).

There are 81 Marietta's in Denmark. Just to get the stats right. It is surely a name here and old names are back in style so maybe. :)

Stil prefere Thyra though :wub:

Stefanie said:
Hope they don´t decide to name her some kind of "Sophie" ´cause since today we have a new little infanta in Spain and her name will be Sofia

Maybe they have already decided the name.. I'm pretty sure, that whatever they have decided right now, won't be chamged just because a princess in another country has been named the same..

I vote for her big friend from Australia to be the godmother!

Marietta is a great idea but I'm pretty sure there's a song or musical called "Naughty Marietta".... and I can see the headlines in a few years time.

I thought one thing: maybe they will name her Ingrid. The princess in Norway is not Ingrid, it's Ingrid Alexandra and she will be known as queen Ingrid Alexandra. The little Danish princess won't be queen. Her calling name would be only Ingrid. It's a little difference between these two princesses

I'd expect Ingrid Alexandra to drop the second name when she grows up, like her father dropped Magnus from his name. It's a rather unwieldy name and she's likely called simply Ingrid, just like her brother is probably called simply Sverre.

I think Ingrid may be part of this princess's name, but I doubt it will be a first name. I think the first name will be traditional, well-used in the royal family, and probably not used for any small children in this generation of European royal families. I'm still liking Caroline as a first name, with Ingrid, Henrietta, and Margrethe as middle names.

bluestocking said:
I'd expect Ingrid Alexandra to drop the second name when she grows up, like her father dropped Magnus from his name. It's a rather unwieldy name and she's likely called simply Ingrid, just like her brother is probably called simply Sverre.

Norwegian Ingrid Alexandra is already just called ( and known as) Ingrid, that's what her parents call her, Mette-Marit said that in an interview. Her brother Sverre Magnus is actually called Magnus by his family.

I for one think they will stay away from a first name already used by another princess. I know i'd like my child to have her own name and not be always confused with another princess. and there are so many beautiful names out there that it doesn't necessarily have to be ingrid(as a first name i mean). besides i think the name is already decided, and probably has been so for quite some time. it'll just be a very long wait till july 1 st to find it out;)

I like the name Astrid, I have always liked it, it's a beautiful name

I think her name will definitely be:

Henrietta Dagmar Margrethe Ingrid

and her monogram will be a cursive (curvy) H...like Frederik, Mary and Christian's curvy letters...and unlike Henrik's upright basic bold H which is his monogram...that is my prediction...fingers crossed ;)

I had five names for a princess but I think I've narrowed it down. I had:
Anna-Sophie Ingrid Henrietta
Thyra Ingrid Henrietta Margerethe
Christina Ingrid Henrietta Margarethe
Anna Elenora Henrietta Ingrid
Ingrid Dagmar Henrietta Margrete

They are all names from Danish history or family.

But I don't think they will use the name Anna-Sophie b/c of the new Spanish princess being Sophia. They may not use Ingrid b/c of Ingrid Alexandra of Norway. Would they use Christina b/c former Princess Alex of Denmark is now officially know as Alexandra Christina, Coutess of Fredriksbourg? Someone also told me Thyra was old fashioned in Denmark. So that would leave of my choices Anna Elenora. Both are names of daughters of past Danish kings. Can anyone tell me how to pronounce Thyra. Is the t silent?

Fashionista100 said:
I Can anyone tell me how to pronounce Thyra. Is the t silent?

I believe it is pronounced Tier-ah or Tour-ah although I could be wrong.

Perhaps Lasse Pedersen, Userdane, or another one of our lovely Danish friends can tell us.

:flowers:

GlitteringTiaras said:
I believe it is pronounced Tier-ah or Tour-ah although I could be wrong.

Perhaps Lasse Pedersen, Userdane, or another one of our lovely Danish friends can tell us.

:flowers:

I was discussed somwhere back in the thread. The y is pronounced like a french "u" (like in une) or a German "ü", a swedish "y" or a turkish "ü", so if you know any of those languages, that might help. :lol:
Otherwise, hard to explain, you would probably have to listen to it.

Samitude asked earlier how to pronounce the name. Betina, a member from Denmark, replied in post #505 :

And no the danish name Thyra is not pronounced the way you suggest. The danish language is very hard to tell ppl and i have to think about a propper way for you to pronounce it.

She couldn't help us.

Another member, H.M. Margrethe also from Denmark, replied in post #164:

I think that the pronoucing of the name is just as the American way you know like Tyra Banks ?
Her in Denmark we has just added the letter h betwen t and y hope it makes sence

I'm still clueless and lost.:neutral:

Essentially, we non-Danes will have to make up our own style/pronunciation of the name, until someone can tell us clearly and correctly the way to prounounce Thyra.:flowers:

T-"u" like the french word une- rah

So put it together and that's how you say it. I would imagine phonetically it would look something like this: Teu-ra.

These are some Danish names I've always had an affinity for:

Annelise
Arisje
Astrid
Karen (it's my sister's name)
Kirsten

A particularly Danish or even just Scandinavian name would be very nice. Doubt Mary would go for that somehow, which is a shame. Wouldn't it be nicer to have a princess Mette, or Princess Sigrid, Bente or Elin? Rather than yet another Elizabeth, Caroline etc etc?

Nouvelle said:
Was Prince of Asturias there? He's godfather of Ingrid Alexandra but I didn't saw him on the photos

he couldn't go as the christening of ingrid alexandra was just some months before his own wedding.

i heard that frederik and mary are considering felipe and letizia to be godparents of the lillepigen, but since they are catholic i'm unsure. all of christian's godparents were protestants. this would also exclude phillipe and mathilde and therefore we are only left with willem and maxima and haakon and mette marit, but the last ones were chosen for christian, which leaves us with only willem and maxima (and maxima is still catholic as well). so quite a strage situation if they choose heirs and wifes of heirs. :)

GlitteringTiaras said:
Samitude asked earlier how to pronounce the name. Betina, a member from Denmark, replied in post #505 :

She couldn't help us.

Another member, H.M. Margrethe also from Denmark, replied in post #164:

I'm still clueless and lost.:neutral:

Essentially, we non-Danes will have to make up our own style/pronunciation of the name, until someone can tell us clearly and correctly the way to prounounce Thyra.:flowers:

I replied in #507 how i wouldpronounce it :lol:
It was the best i could come up with.

I hope she doesn´t call the baby Henrietta...for me it is an old-fashioned heavy name...Marietta sounds lovely though...I wonder if they ever thought of that name. Does anyone ever think that it´s only because we read so much about the different royal families that it would be more of an inconvenience for us if they named their daughter Ingrid, rather than for the DRF, as although they have contact with the Norwegians it´s not on a daily basis...

I really hope that they won't name her Henrietta. Do they have to name their daughter with a traditional name? They can give her a modern name. This little girl won't be queen so it doesn't matter. I like Astrid, it sounds great:

Astrid Margrethe Henrietta Ingrid

What do you think?

Pavlos is greek orthodox.....

Well, I think it would be nice to make Princess Anne a godparent but I don't think it'll happen. I think the Royal godparents will be of the heirs group. I wouldn't be suprised if William wasn't chosen.

My suggestion for the godparents are:
Crown Princess Maxima of the Netherlands, a sister of Crown Princess Mary, Crown Princess Felipe of Spain, Edward, Earl of Wessex, Marie Cavallier, Prince Laurent of Belgium and two friends of Frederik and Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom