Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's Second Pregnancy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is it a boy or girl?

• Boy

Votes: 84 33.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 157 61.8%
  • Twins: boy & girl

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Twins: 2 boys

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Twins: 2 girls

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
its really strange that when christian was born he looked like a christian. i have gone back and fourth looking at the names and te pic to see what she looks like and i think she looks like a Louise.

well at the end of the day we will just have to wat and see what her name is going to be .

I personally think Charlotte, Catherine or Juliana are best suited as first names, considering the names of other Danish relatives. I don't however think Dagmar really fits, but after all, it is only my personal opinion.:)

I personally like:

Charlotte, Victoria (one of Queen Ingrid's names), Louise, Juliana, Mathilde, Anna, Elizabeth, Catherine.

I think the order of names will be like Christian's i.e. historical/traditional - unusual/historical - family - family.

We were having a giggle in our household about the new princess' name being Elisabeth Henrietta Ingrid Sydney.

What a hoot that would be, but certainly not very royal!

Princess Martha-Louise of Norway
Princess Alexia of Greece or Princess Alexandra of Berleburg
Patricia Bailey
Ellen Hillingso

Prince Gustav
Peter Heering
Peter Warnoe or Holger Foss
Prince Carl-Philip

Mary was a Presbyterian, although somewhat unusually, her christening is not included in her detailed biography on the royal family's or crown prince couple's websites. When Countess Alexandra was on the royal family's website, both the date of baptism and name of the anglican church in Hong Kong where she was christened were specified in her bio.

According to genweb little Princess's godparents can be:
John Donaldson, Martha Louise of Norway,
Madeleine of Sweden, Laurentien of the Netherlands,
Alexia of Greece, Alexnadra Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
Ne von Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg

Btw the lille pige shares birthday with Queen Elizabeth II.

Last edited:
One or two postings have said that there is no relationship between Queen Elizabeth and Queen Margarethe and that they are not close.

They are, I think, 3rd cousins. King Edward VII was married to Alexandra, the sister of the then King of Denmark.

Also, Queen Margarethe is often among the private guests at Balmoral and Windsor, and I have read that there is quite a good relationship there.

Also, Anne Bowes-Lyon (a niece, I think, of the Queen Mother) was married to Pr George of Denmark, a 2nd cousin of Queen Margrethe.

I know the Queen rarely goes abroad to visit other Royal Families - and usually sends one of her children to represent her at other Royal Family weddings and anniversary parties, etc., - but many visit privately. King Hussain of Jordan was a regular visitor, as is the former Grand-Duke Jean of Luxembourg. The Queen is also quite closely related to the Norwegian Royal Family (the late King Olav was her first cousin), and more distantly to the Swedish Royal Family. There is also an even more distant connection to the Belgian Royal Family through the first King Leopold I. Oh, not to forget close relationships with the Greek Royal Family and the Spanish Royal Family, and the former German and Russian Royal Families. There is also a connection to the Roumanian Royal Family.

Come to think of it, only the Dutch, French, Portuguese, Bulgarian and Italian Royal Families are not related to Queen Elizabeth.

OK, since hyphens seem to be popular for the royals' little girls these days (Catharina-Amalia; Ingrid-Alexandra), how about:

Mary-Ingrid Margarethe Henrietta

Congrats!

I almost agree with you, Lady Blufton.

I plump for Henrietta Margrethe Ingrid Mary

Originally Posted by Lady Bluffton
OK, since hyphens seem to be popular for the royals' little girls these days (Catharina-Amalia; Ingrid-Alexandra)

Ingrid Alexandra isn't hyphenated.

I just did some snooping on who Christian's godparents are and have come to the conclusion that since Christian is boy (duh!) out of his 8 godparents, 5 are men and 3 are women...to give him that male influence...So seeming they have a girl this time, I am hoping 5 women and 3 men to give little Princess Henrietta (???) some female influence...My list is:

The girls:
Princess Madeleine of Sweden
Princess Martha-Louise of Norway
Patricia Bailey
Helle Reedtz-Thott
Caroline Heering

The boys:
John Donaldson jnr. (her brother)
Otto Reedtz-Thott
Peter Heering

I think I am on to something here...a good mix of royals, Mary's siblings/Australians and Danish friends...and that 5:3 ratio of girls:boys ;)

Some issues I only just thought of about the use of Henrietta as a first name...If Mary does use it, she will probably have to discuss it thoroughly with her family (Jane Stephens, Patricia Bailey, John Donaldson jnr and John and Susan Donaldson) because by using it as a first name it will be as if Mary is claiming her mother Henrietta as her own...but the truth is Henrietta was also the mother of Jane, Patricia and John, not just Mary...and how will her father feel calling his little granddaughter by the name of his late wife and how will Susan feel using the name of her husband's late wife (will it be uncomfortable or is Susan a big enough person not to be affected by that aspect)...

I would love Mary to use Henrietta as a first name but it is not only up to her...her Australian family have to consent a little bit because it will then make their mother's name public property...I know it will be a definite middle name but a first name would be great, because it is a royal name, and it is such a great name and it is a way her mother can share in some small way with Mary's happiness...

Her mother's nickname was Etta...but I think if they use it they might be more inclined to use something different like, Princess Henny or Princess Hetty or Princess Hanna?

[
quote=MissSaga]My Guesses: :flowers:

Family:
-John Stuart Donaldson.
-Alexia of Greece
-Alexandra S-W-B (Berleburg)

Friends:
-Amber Petty
-Helle Reedtz-Thott / Caroline Heering / Birgitte Handwerk (can't choose which one)
-Peter Warnoe / Peter Heering (can't chosse which one)

One Royal:
-Märtha-Louise of Norway
[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with your choices and I want to add another high profile royal such as William Alexander or Philippe of Belgium.

Xeara said:
Some issues I only just thought of about the use of Henrietta as a first name...If Mary does use it, she will probably have to discuss it thoroughly with her family (Jane Stephens, Patricia Bailey, John Donaldson jnr and John and Susan Donaldson) because by using it as a first name it will be as if Mary is claiming her mother Henrietta as her own...but the truth is Henrietta was also the mother of Jane, Patricia and John, not just Mary...and how will her father feel calling his little granddaughter by the name of his late wife and how will Susan feel using the name of her husband's late wife (will it be uncomfortable or is Susan a big enough person not to be affected by that aspect)...

I would love Mary to use Henrietta as a first name but it is not only up to her...her Australian family have to consent a little bit because it will then make their mother's name public property...I know it will be a definite middle name but a first name would be great, because it is a royal name, and it is such a great name and it is a way her mother can share in some small way with Mary's happiness...

Her mother's nickname was Etta...but I think if they use it they might be more inclined to use something different like, Princess Henny or Princess Hetty or Princess Hanna?

What is wrong with claiming her mother as her own? That shouldn't affect anything and if her siblings kvetch about Mary naming her daughter after their mother, that's her siblings' problem, not hers. As for her stepmother and her father addressing the child, there are many, many people who name their sons and daughters after deceased relatives and either they call the child by that name, or a nickname that was dear to the relative, something familial. I doubt her stepmother would pitch a fit, her and Mary seem quite close.

I have always had a hard time understanding royal godparents. Godparents should be people close to the couple and the child, if not through blood, then through being friends of the family as a whole or the couple. I get the feeling that when these people have kids, they take all the names of every royal in Europe and just draw names, hence why CPss Victoria is godmother to something like 5 different kids. It takes the importance of the position away, at least to me.

I would like to see Fred and Mary pick people they are close to, people who will have a presence in the child's life as they grow.

I was wondering if it will be the same as when Prince Christian was born, that the new baby's name will not be announced untill the Christening.

theprincess said:
I was wondering if it will be the same as when Prince Christian was born, that the new baby's name will not be announced untill the Christening.

I believe it is tradition in the DRF not to reveal the name of the baby until his/her christening. So I guess we'll all have to wait until July to see if any of us were close on the names they choose. :lol:

Does the poor baby remain nameless until July??? My! This sounds extremely weird!!! :ohmy:

Vanesa.

Vanesa said:
Does the poor baby remain nameless until July??? My! This sounds extremely weird!!! :ohmy:

Vanesa.

No, the child is not nameless until July. The child's name is not revealed until July. I am sure that both Fred and Mary have already named the child and those who need to know, know what the names are. Just like her older brother Christian, the names will be made known to everyone at the christening.

Xeara said:

I would love Mary to use Henrietta as a first name but it is not only up to her...her Australian family have to consent a little bit because it will then make their mother's name public property...I know it will be a definite middle name but a first name would be great, because it is a royal name, and it is such a great name and it is a way her mother can share in some small way with Mary's happiness...?
But including her father's name John as one of Christian's names does not seem to have been a problem in terms of claiming her father as her own. Or do you mean that it will be a bigger problem because the sibling's mother is dead?
I don't think it would persent a problem to Mary's siblings. Do they not all of them have daughters? They have had the chance to use the name Henrietta if they had wanted to.

Vanesa said:

Vanesa.

very common amongst danes first to reveal the name at the christening

My money is know [not literally ;)] on...
Princess Ingrid Henrietta Margerethe Jane of Denmark or
Princess Margerethe Henrietta Ingrid of Denmark [in the slightest chance she might become Queen and they want Denmark to have [own right to rule] Queens with the first name Margerethe.

betina said:
very common amongst danes first to reveal the name at the christening

In Greece also is quite like this. You declare the name only during the christening, so you can have changed thousand of time your mind. Some times parents do not agree for the name till the last moment, so it could be always a surprise.

As for the little Princess, I would like

Desiree Ingrid Margarete Henrietta

Last edited:
I agree with you up to a point, Sister Morphine. Though it is utterly charming to have 6 or 7 people as your godparent, it indeed devaluates the role that a godparent is supposed to have in my eyes. Of course such an extended number makes it easier for the parents to include family, friends and collegues, but one wonders if these people all will have an influence in the life of the child.

Of course one can wonder if the royals that are usually added to the number of godparents are only included because they wanted an impressive name or because they really want the person to be involved in t life of the little royal. I think it has to do with both. The little royal will have a life in the spotlight, and has to live a certain way. It should be helpfull to have a fellow-royal as a sort of mentor (for example Beatrix to Victoria of Sweden). Apart from that many of these royals are actual good friends, and belongs to each others closest circle. As they practically gre up together, attended the same parties, face simular problems regading ther positions, are of simular ages etc. this is not to surprising.

Sister Morphine said:
I have always had a hard time understanding royal godparents. Godparents should be people close to the couple and the child, if not through blood, then through being friends of the family as a whole or the couple. I get the feeling that when these people have kids, they take all the names of every royal in Europe and just draw names, hence why CPss Victoria is godmother to something like 5 different kids. It takes the importance of the position away, at least to me.

I would like to see Fred and Mary pick people they are close to, people who will have a presence in the child's life as they grow.

True for older generations and people like MC and Pavlos but other couples have taken a fair balance in choosing god parents. For Fred and Mary, the royal godparents were

Prince Joachim- the uncle
CP Pavlos- Fred's cousin. they are of the same age and if you look back to Q Ingrid's time, they seem to be close friends too.
CP Haakon & MM- this is a couple close to F & M as there have been pictures of private visits. And I have seen Fred's holiday pictures with Haakon and MM prior to Mary and the kids.
CP Victoria - again a close friend. We have seen them at Count--- 90th B'day party.

For Haakon and MM again
CP Victoria - One of the Scandinavian trio.
CP Fred & Felipe - Close Friends as Eva was introduced to Felipe by him(so I have heard)
CP Maxima - They spent some holidays together as Ingrid and Amalia are of same age.

For WA and Maxima
CP Victoria- Beatrix is her Godmother, not to mention she will be the only queen in her generation.
CP Mathilde - They seem to be close friends.

So not all the godaparents are chosen for showing off. I can bet that the Danish and Norwegian couples would feature prominently in Victoria's children's godeparents list too.

Mary seemed to be getting along with Prince Edward quite well a few months ago (@ Carl Gustaf's birthday party?).

Maybe they'll pick him; he did come out to the wedding after all.

Lady Bluffton said:
Mary seemed to be getting along with Prince Edward quite well a few months ago (@ Carl Gustaf's birthday party?).

Maybe they'll pick him; he did come out to the wedding after all.

He is either Nikolai or Felix's godparent, isn't he?

I wouldn't be surprised if one of Mary's Danish friends like Baroness Helle or her husband Baron Otto Reedtz-Thott would be asked to be a god-parent. Would it be considered improper for Mary's former lady-in-waiting to be a godparent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom