Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's Second Pregnancy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is it a boy or girl?

• Boy

Votes: 84 33.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 157 61.8%
  • Twins: boy & girl

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Twins: 2 boys

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Twins: 2 girls

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to the date of birth, maybe Elizabeth II.

Yes I know she is 81 but that isn't really a reason to exclude her when they have a number of godparents.

If not Elizabeth herself maybe her daughter Princess Anne.

This is only because of the date and for no other reason am I suggesting this.

It would be wonderful if they chose Alexia to be one of the godmothers. What other friends to the crown couple have among the royal circle? Victoria?

Victoria is one of their friends. Can they choose her to be a godparent again? I also think it would be nice to choose someone that isn't godparent to a lot of babies, like Princess Martha-Louise, Prince Carl-Philip, Princess Madeleine, etc.

acdc1 said:
Victoria is one of their friends. Can they choose her to be a godparent again? I also think it would be nice to choose someone that isn't godparent to a lot of babies, like Princess Martha-Louise, Prince Carl-Philip, Princess Madeleine, etc.

I don´t think, that they would choose Victoria again. It would be some kind of awkward sign towards Carl Philip and Madeleine. Something like "Choosing you twice is still 100times better than choosing your siblings"
I´d say Carl Philip and Madeleine are a hot guess. They are of the the high profile godparents (who are offspring of Monarchs) quite closely related to Frederik (2nd cousins) And if the little girl would become only half as spoilt, as some ppl are claiming it now, Madeleine would be the perfect role model ;)
Märtha Louise I could very well imagine too...or one of the dutch Royals.
I don´t think, they would choose Felipe (or Letizia) Even though it would be a nice gesture and maybe a way to get finally over these stories on a competition between Letizia and Mary...
All together I think the combination of godparents would be close to Christian´s. With a sibling of Mary, a greek Royal (or one of the Berleburgs...maybe one of the Berleburgs would be taken instead of Joachim a second time), a personal friend or two and at least one high profile Royal.

Mary's middle sister, Patricia, I have a feeling will be one of the godparents. Perhaps Caroline Heering, Helle Reedtz-Thott, Maxima or Mathilde, Prince Gustav, maybe Amber Petty, and maybe Prince Nickolas of Greece.

I am thinking one of Mary's sisters......a Bereleburg cousin (since Pavols is one of Christian's...they will chose another cousin), Wilhem Alexander or Maxima, and two personal friends. Maybe Amber Petty but not sure if she "clean" enough. Didn't she date some one with a bad reputation.

Not Elizabeth II or the Princess Royal. They have no relationship from what I can see. A majority of Christian's godparents (are somewhat 2nd generation major royals -Victoria, Haakon, Pavlos and Mette Marit). Do they have a relationship with Phillipe or Mathilde?

I honestly think that sometimes we (I am using the royal we) think that people because they attend certain events are a lot closer than they are. Please note that I am not critizing anyone's suggestions for a possible godparent...its just an observation.

While they (all royals) have a somewhat similiar lifestyle, chosen path, etc.....picking a godparent for your child is supposed to be serious...you pick people are you close to, who you trust to raise your child in particular faith, serve as a back up parent, mentor etc. And I am not sure if some of these people (Phillipe, Mathilde, etc.) are that. You can see a relationship between Maxima and Mathilde, and that's why Mathilde being a godparent to Alexia isn't surprising. Victoria and Queen Beatrix as well. Beatrix serves as a mentor from one queen to a future queen...and will have not doubt a place of honour at Victoria's wedding. Didn't Margethe have a seat of honour at The Prince of Orange's wedding? Did Anne even attend Haakon's wedding. No, need to answer...she didn't attend and its WAY OFF topic but hopefully you get my point. And get this, she is one of his godmothers!

Last edited:
I do not think that they will use a name given to another young princess in the european households. So Ingrid and Elisabeth are out for first names i think.

My guesses for the first name (or second name that will be their common name) are:

Anna
Margaret(ha/ta)
Alice
Sofia

I agree with you. Godparents should be people they are close to. I think they'll choose Carl-Philip or Madeleine. They may not be as close to them, because both are much younger, but they are close to the SRF I think. Don't know how close they are with Mathilde or any Dutch Royals.

Frederick is/was close to Felipe. I say no to Madeline and Carl Phillip because they are still a little young IMO. But anything is possible. If we are going to pick a younger royal..I would go with Martha Louise of Norway. I say Willem-Alexander only because they are both heirs to the throne, they seem like they get along great (I remember the pics from the Olympics, etc.).

My guesses:

Prince Gustav of Berleburg
Princess Madeleine of Sweden
Patricia Bailey
Friend of Frederik
Friend of Mary

Charlotte Marie Henrietta Margrethe

Charlotte - pretty name, is not that common in royal circles presently
Marie - Princess Dagmar's name when she became Grand Duchess of Russia and a take on Mary's own name
Henrietta - CPss Mary's mother's name
Margrethe - The Queen and the baby's grandmother

OR

Sophia Alexandra Margrethe Ingrid

Sophia - Given name of Queen Anne-Marie's sister-in-law
Alexandra - name of Danish princess who became Queen of England; common in royal circles
Margrethe - The Queen and the baby's grandmother
Ingrid - Common Scandinavian name, but also the name of Fred's beloved grandmother

Princess Theodora of Greece
Gustav of Berlberg
Madeleine of Sweden
Mette Marit of Norway
Amber Petty
John Donaldson (Marys Brother)

Princess Martha Louise
Prince Gustaf
John Donaldson
Peter & Caroline Heering
Amber Petty

:flowers:

Sister Morphine said:
Sophia Alexandra Margrethe Ingrid

I love that!

I hope its Thyra Margrethe Ingrid Elisabeth

I think Margrethe and Ingrid will def. be used as middle names. Elisabeth and Henrietta are also very possible.

I think either Ingrid (after Frederik's grandmother) or Henrietta (after Mary's late mother).

So many wonderful names have been suggested by our members, and so many of them have been repeated!
I've gone through the thread and found most of the female names, and made a little list, among with a few conclusions:

1) The most popular name was Henrietta, after Mary's mother, although most people thought that this would be a middle name.
2) Most members believe that Princess Denmark will have four names, like her big brother.
3) The other popular names besides Henrietta? Ingrid, Alexandrine, Margrethe, Dagmar, and Mary. However, many people debated the idea of Alexandrine, or Alexandra, because of Countess Alexandra, and because of the large usage of the name in royal circles. Ingrid was also disputed as it is the name of Ingrid Alexandra, the hereditary princess of Norway, and one of the daughters of Alexandra of Berleberg, Frederik's cousin. Both of the little girls are also Fred's goddaughters.

Here is a list of the names so far:
Adelaide---Adriana---Agnetha---Alexandra---Alexandrine---Alice---Amalia---Amalie---Amelia---Anesa---Ania---Anita--- Anna---Anne---Anne Marie---Annebell---Anneliese---Annika---Arabella---Ase---Astrid---Ave---Bente---Birthe---Bridget---
Caroline---Catherine---Cecilie---Charlotta---Charlotte---Christiane---Christina---Christine---Clara---
Dagmar---Dagny---Desiree---Dorthea--- Eilidh---Elenora---Elisa---Elisabeth/Elizabeth---Emilie---Emma---Estrid---Eugenie---Eva--- Frederikke---Fenia---Feodora---Filia---Frederika---Freja--- Gabriela---Gloria---Grace--- Hannah---Hanne---Helena---Helle---Henrietta---Henriette--- Ida---Inge---Ingeborg---Ingelise---Inger---Ingrid---Isobel--- Jane---Janne---Jette---Josephine---Juliana---Juliane---Julie--- Karen---Katarina---Katrine---Kirsten---Klara--- Larine---Laura---Lene---Leonore---Lilian---Lilias---Louise---Lucinda--- Magdalone---Magdalena---Margrethe---Mairead---Maja---Malene---Margaret---Margareta---Maria---Marianne--- Marie---Maris---Marita---Martha---Mary---Mathilde---Matilda---Maud---Mettalise---Mette---Miucca--- Natalie---Nina---Olga---Olivia---Olympia Ophelia--- Perla---Peta---Petra---Petrine---Pia---Rebecca---Renate---Renee---Rose---Rosemarie--- Saffi---Sanne---Sara---Signe---Sigrid---Sofia---Sofie---Stella---Susanne---Theresa---Thorhildur---Thyra---Victoria---Xenia

Last edited by a moderator:
We won't know the name until the christening .. right, like with Prince Christian?

Yes, I believe so, Mari. Essentially, the guessing game continues for the next three months if Mary and Frederik follow the Danish tradition.

Anyhow, any name will work. The little princess may get her name from all danish relatives

either Maxima & williem-alexander
Cp Felipe
either Pavlos or Marie-chantal
Peter &/or Caroline Heering
and someone from Mary's family, probably her sisiter or father.

From WIkipedia:
The princess shares the same birthday as HM Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain.

I wonder if the Queen will congratulate the little princess somehow now that they share a birthday... Maybe she could be one of the godmothers or maybe the baby could be named Elizabeth..? :rolleyes:

Catharina said:
From WIkipedia:

I wonder if the Queen will congratulate the little princess somehow now that they share a birthday... Maybe she could be one of the godmothers or maybe the baby could be named Elizabeth..? :rolleyes:

That's a great idea, Elizabeth, being her mothers middle name also, would be very special for the little princess. :flowers:

Zonk said:
I am thinking one of Mary's sisters......a Bereleburg cousin (since Pavols is one of Christian's...they will chose another cousin), Wilhem Alexander or Maxima, and two personal friends. Maybe Amber Petty but not sure if she "clean" enough. Didn't she date some one with a bad reputation.

Not Elizabeth II or the Princess Royal. They have no relationship from what I can see. A majority of Christian's godparents (are somewhat 2nd generation major royals -Victoria, Haakon, Pavlos and Mette Marit). Do they have a relationship with Phillipe or Mathilde?

I honestly think that sometimes we (I am using the royal we) think that people because they attend certain events are a lot closer than they are. Please note that I am not critizing anyone's suggestions for a possible godparent...its just an observation.

While they (all royals) have a somewhat similiar lifestyle, chosen path, etc.....picking a godparent for your child is supposed to be serious...you pick people are you close to, who you trust to raise your child in particular faith, serve as a back up parent, mentor etc. And I am not sure if some of these people (Phillipe, Mathilde, etc.) are that. You can see a relationship between Maxima and Mathilde, and that's why Mathilde being a godparent to Alexia isn't surprising. Victoria and Queen Beatrix as well. Beatrix serves as a mentor from one queen to a future queen...and will have not doubt a place of honour at Victoria's wedding. Didn't Margethe have a seat of honour at The Prince of Orange's wedding? Did Anne even attend Haakon's wedding. No, need to answer...she didn't attend and its WAY OFF topic but hopefully you get my point. And get this, she is one of his godmothers!

Well, while you are in general not wrong, I though think, that one has to take other measures for Royals. If you are choosing 8 godparents, all can´t be equal close. And as you have already hinted, one would also take some, who are just in the same position, but who can´t go to the zoo with the child or would do other things with it. In many cases it´s probably reduced down to some sent gifts, a call once or twice a year and some meetings, when the parents meet the business way.
There needs to be of course some kind of loose connection between the parents and positive signals...and I´m not seeing that of the Windsors...since they hardly ever attend the big gatherings, where Royals can meet and mingle.
I think for the high profile choices Frederik and Mary have already chosen all those, they are really close to. So I wouldn´t be surprised, if the Royal choices this time would be not that close. For me this would be for example Willem Alexander and Maxima. Having no offspring of reigning Royals as godparents is of course a possibility too. But let´s face it high profile godparents are good PR (something that the Danish court never seems to hate) and it´s a nice symbol to choose someone, who is in a similiar position.

If someone is saying, that Carl Philip and Madeleine are too young for anything, it´s for me usually as if someone would light a bomb. ;) I´m so tired of this "nest protection" these two are still getting.
Carl Philip is close to 28 and only 2 years younger than Victoria...that´s nothing. And also Madeleine isn´t anymore of this age, when you ask "Cutie, when are you going to graduate from high school?"
Both could have been godparents for 10 years. If they are not chosen, then because there could be no connection. There basically is already the one of relation...and they have also met at e.g. the Sofiero castle family meeting. I though could imagine, that Carl Philip wouldn´t be chosen, because he is trying to slip the Royal world and I don´t remember a single foreign Royal, he had closer contact to.
Madeleine on the other hand seems to enjoy these Royal meetings and seems to aim a permanent seat in the Royal world. So I think she would be an very appropriate choice...but as always...we will see ;)

Victoria was godparent for the first time at age 23 so Madeleines age shouldnt be a problem

My guess is Pattricia Bailey, princess Madeleine, prince Pavlos, Caroline Heering and a friend of Frederiks

My guess:

Mary's sister Patricia Bailey
Prince Gustav av Berleberg
Princess Alexia of Greece (or Nicolas)
Mary's first lady-in-waiting Victoria
Ellen Hilsingo

I actually agree with the members suggesting Martha-Louise- I didn't immediately think of her, but you guys are right. The NRF and DRF are very close, and ML was among the people at the Slip Inn when Frederik met Mary.

Of the other royals, I would be amazed if any of the British royal family or the Spanish RF were named godparents. Neither of these families seem to have very close relations with the DRF. Same with the Japanese Imperial family, although choosing Naruhito would be an interesting choice.

If they choose another royal, I would expect it to be either Martha-Louise or Maxima and Willem-Alexander. Maxima seems to be friends with everyone, and WA, well, he'd be a good choice.

Broadcast of the baptism?

Hopefully they broadcast it as they did with Christian. Honestly I´ m not sure if they do since the girl isn´t the heir to the throne. This might be one reason why Frederik this time appeared in Jeans what I think he didn´t when Christian was born but I can´t exactly remember. Might be another hint that the girl is only in second rank....

Originally Posted by Stefanie
Hopefully they broadcast it as they did with Christian. Honestly I´ m not sure if they do since the girl isn´t the heir to the throne.

They broadcasted both Nikolai and Felix' christening, so it would be very surprising if they didn't broadcast this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom