The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Is it a boy or girl?
Boy 85 33.33%
Girl 157 61.57%
Twins: boy & girl 6 2.35%
Twins: 2 boys 2 0.78%
Twins: 2 girls 5 1.96%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Aristocracy

If it's a little prince my choices are:

Erik
Harald
Svend
Frederik or Christian as it's a tradition.

If it's a little princess:

Ingeborg
Dagmar
Ingrid
Margrethe, but they could call her Gretel.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Courtier

Thyra

I read in an Internet-lexicon that Thyra (daughter of King Frederik or King Christian) had a child out of wedlock, the child´s father committed suicide and later she married again and had more children.
So maybe the name Thyra might not be that popular because of the tragical case.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

I guess I'm in the minority, but I hope it's a boy so they have a "spare", then a girl next time.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Aristocracy

I was just going to say what *Saturn* did...you beat me to it

The Princess HAS to be *Margrethe Olympia Dagmar Maria* or something to that effect...but her nickname could be:

Princess Greta...which is absolutely gorgeous!!!
Old 12-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Courtier

Well, I was looking at Danish geneology for the royal house and picked out all the names that could be potential baby names. I didn't include names I felt were too "oldfashioned" or "unusual."

Girl: Amalia, Frederica, Sophie, Amalie, Sophia, Elenora, Dagmar, Thrya, Alexandra, Alexandrine, Anna, Christina, Margrete, Dorthea, Charlotte, Christiane, Katarina, Margaret, Ingeborg, Marie, Caroline, Juliane, Elisabet.

Boy: Wilhelm, Ulric, Erik, Christoffer, Magnus, Valdemar, Oluf, Johan.

I also think Henrietta or Mary may be used. As well as Maragrete or Ingrid for a girl.

For a boy is could be Joachim or Knud even would be part of it.

But here are my choices:
Princess: Sophia, Dagmar, Anna, Christina, Charlotte
Prince: Erik or Johan.

I think Christina or Christiane are strong front runners and so it Sophia.
I am hoping for Erik for a prince.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Courtier

I know a lot of you like Dagmar, but in Germany it is a very oldfashioned, rather boring name... I don´t know the stuation in Denmark though.
I think it would be ok as a second,third etc name, but as a first name...
The same is with Valdemar in Christian´s name, as a second name ok, tradition etc, but imagine it would have been his first name...
I don´t want to offend anyone, that´s just my personal opinion.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ulrich Johann Christian Peter Frederik Stephen Georg
Old 12-08-2006, 10:45 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilytornado
I know a lot of you like Dagmar, but in Germany it is a very oldfashioned, rather boring name... I don´t know the stuation in Denmark though.
I think it would be ok as a second,third etc name, but as a first name...
The same is with Valdemar in Christian´s name, as a second name ok, tradition etc, but imagine it would have been his first name...
I don´t want to offend anyone, that´s just my personal opinion.
Actually, old names are increasingly popular in Denmark. For instance, according to Statistics Denmark, 43 children were named Dagmar in 2003 as opposed to 4 children i 1993.

/Lasse
Old 12-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Commoner

Frederik and Marys baby if it is a girl she well have the name Magrethe. Thats a danish low.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Commoner

I don´t think that the baby, will have more than 4 names.

Like Christian, Nikolai and Felix have.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yassina
Frederik and Marys baby if it is a girl she well have the name Magrethe. Thats a danish low.

Where did you get that from?? Its not a law at all in Denmark that girls have to be named Margrethe. The reason why our Queen has that name is in honour of her grandmother.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Commoner

Baby Names

Boy names

1. William
2. Gabriel
3. Juian
4. Alexander
5. Valdemar

Girl names

1. Victoria
2. Katarina
3. Klara
4. Xenia
5. Natalie
Old 12-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Commoner

It is a law !!!!!!

It is not a danish low that all girls are named Margrethe. But it is a law that the daugther of the crown prince, have the name Margrethe. Not as a first name. Just one of her names have to be Margreth.
It is also a law that if a girl is born, and she is not named befor she is 6 month old she gets the name Margrethe.
Like boy get the name Frederik.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi
It is not a danish low that all girls are named Margrethe. But it is a law that the daugther of the crown prince, have the name Margrethe. Not as a first name. Just one of her names have to be Margreth.
It is also a law that if a girl is born, and she is not named befor she is 6 month old she gets the name Margrethe.
Do you have a reference? I've heard the first one before, and I've not found anything to support it?
Old 12-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi
I have no references to give, but I am confident that there are absolutely no laws dictating the names of Danish royalty, whether they be heirs to the throne or not. In theory, TRH The Crown Prince Couple could have named their first born son Prince Olfert Hansi Lars Peter. Of course there are traditions regarding the names of boys, traditions which the Crown Prince Couple chose to stick to. But there are no written laws regarding this.

As it has already been emphasised, HM The Queen was named Margrethe, not after Queen Margrete I, but after her Swedish grandmother who died before she was born. Her Majesty has said so herself on several occasions, among others an interview conducted on the occasion of Her Majesty's 40th birthday.

Cheers
Lasse
Old 12-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasse Pedersen
I have no references to give, but I am confident that there are absolutely no laws dictating the names of Danish royalty, whether they be heirs to the throne or not. In theory, TRH The Crown Prince Couple could have named their first born son Prince Olfert Hansi Lars Peter. Of course there are traditions regarding the names of boys, traditions which the Crown Prince Couple chose to stick to. But there are no written laws regarding this.

As it has already been emphasised, HM The Queen was named Margrethe, not after Queen Margrete I, but after her Swedish grandmother who died before she was born. Her Majesty has said so herself on several occasions, among others an interview conducted on the occasion of Her Majesty's 40th birthday.

Cheers
Lasse

Just my word. Lets call it a tradition pls and not a law that you are naming your children after persons in the family
Old 12-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I do not believe Lasse meant laws, Betina. In his post he clearly says traditions in his above post.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Commoner

A little princess!!
Old 12-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Nobility

I wonder if they will reveal the gender of the baby before it's born like Felipe and Letiza did with their second daughter.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Lane
I wonder if they will reveal the gender of the baby before it's born like Felipe and Letiza did with their second daughter.
Probably not. The only reason Felipe & Letizia announced what they were having was to spur things on with changing the law of succession. But it would be neat if did announce what they were having.

Closed Thread

Tags
godparents, lilleprinsesse, princess isabella