Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's First Pregnancy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you think Mary will have a girl or a boy?

• A girl

Votes: 131 59.0%
  • A boy

Votes: 91 41.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasl

Courtier
Right! "Margrethe" or "Margaret" will definitely be one of the names when Fred and Mary have a daughter!!

Originally posted by Jasl@May 23rd, 2004 - 4:37 am
Right! "Margrethe" or "Margaret" will definitely be one of the names when Fred and Mary have a daughter!!
I don't think there was ever really any doubt about including Margrethe, it is afterall the name that will be used should the child become Queen.

i don´t think that if Mary and Frederiks first child is a girl she will be named Margrethe!
with kings its always Christian and Frederik and i think they will choose a name af and OLD DANISH QUEEN!!

I think that Frederik would have liked to name her Ingrid :heart: but it is already taken by Norway :angry: !

so i think they might name her:

SOPHIE-AMALIE or JULIANE-MARIE

CHARLOTTE-AMALIE or CAROLINE-MATHILDE

MARIE or LOUISE

SOPHIE-MAGDALENE or ANNA-CATHRINE

CHARLOTTE-FREDERIKKE or ANNA-SOPHIE

AND SO ON

then they could taken turns between the new name and Margrethe just like with Christian/Frederik

None of those you named have been ruling monarchs, in the event of the child having to ascend the throne she will need the name Margrethe, just like any male child will need either Christian or Frederik.

I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT NOT EVERY QUEEN CAN BE NAMED MARGRETHE AND IT IS NOT THE MOST MODERN NAME

AND THEIR IS A FIRST FOR EVERYTHING

Originally posted by annaM@May 23rd, 2004 - 2:57 pm
I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT NOT EVERY QUEEN CAN BE NAMED MARGRETHE AND IT IS NOT THE MOST MODERN NAME

AND THEIR IS A FIRST FOR EVERY THING
Please do not use caps when posting it looks like you are yelling

i moved some of the post from the wedding thread to thi sone becouse it was not about the wedding

sorry I was not yelling just wanting to make a point,
I was actually a bit offended by Theilmann.

Originally posted by annaM@May 23rd, 2004 - 3:19 pm
sorry I was not yelling just wanting to make a point,
I was actually a bit offended by Theilmann.
You are absolutely allowed to make a point but with small letters

Be offended all you will, that is your prerogative.
It doesn't change the fact that the names you listed were names of consorts , not ruling Queens. Nor does it change the fact that protocol dictates that ruling Queens in Denmark are to be named Margrethe.
Your "argument" that not every Queen can be named Margrethe, would suggest that not every King has to be named either Christian or Frederik, and with the exception of King Hans no-one has broken the protocol. In other words: What in gods name :angel: compells you to believe that protocol would be broken in this hypothetical situation???

here is my thoughts on it

the deal has been in denmark that the king is named frederik, then christian, then frederik and so on
the last king was King Frederik IX we got Queen Margrethe II now later on it will be ? is it so sure that it will be frederik? his full name is Frederik André Henrik Christian so he could pick Christian

prince Nikolai is named Nikolai William Alexander Frederik is case there will be no children for frederik and his brother is Felix Henrik Valdemar Christian

and frederiks brother got the names Joachim Holger Waldemar Christian

so if a boy is born he will have the name frederik or christian probebly as a first name or as a middle name.

but if a girl is born i am not so sure about Margrethe it may be on oef the names and i think ingrid can also be one of the names. denmark ahs only had two queen regents and both had the name Margrethe but is that a tradition?

thw queens full name is Margrethe Alexandrine Þorhildur Ingrid
her sisters are Benedikte Astrid Ingeborg Ingrid
Anne-Marie Dagmar Ingrid

Theilmann is right on this one. Protocol dictates that the regents are named Frederik, Christian or Margrethe. The reason why there is only one acceptable female name, is that women only have a partial right of succession.
Frederik can't chose to become King under the name of Christian, because the Court wants to use the opportunity which the accension of Queen Margrethe to the throne gave them: to straighten out the line. It has been askew since King Hans. It goes:
Christian I,
Hans,
Christian II,
Frederik I,
Christian III,
Frederik II,
Christian IV,
Frederik III,
Christian V,
Frederik IV,
Christian VI,
Frederik V,
Christian VII,
Frederik VI,
Christian VIII,
Frederik VII,
Christian IX,
Frederik VIII,
Christian X,
Frederik IX,
Margrethe II
In the future the numbers will no longer be askew due to Frederik being named as he is.

it is a tradition and a very short one ( regarding the women)!
I think the hole christian/ Frederik thing is a very nice tradition
and it would be nice if the future queens have a similar tradition.

lets say Mary and Frederik have a girl and they name her Margrethe, and then she has a girl, and she has a girl then the there will only be Margrethes!

but if they were to call her Sophie-Amalie
we could in the future see Margrethe the 3 and then Sophie-Amalie the 2 and so on

just like the hole Christian/ Frederik thing

Originally posted by annaM@May 23rd, 2004 - 10:33 am

lets say Mary and Frederik have a girl and they name her Margrethe, and then she has a girl, and she has a girl then the there will only be Margrethes!

we could in the future see Margrethe the 3 and then Sophie-Amalie the 2 and so on

Since women only have partial right of succession, it would be very unlikely that there would ever be any need for a second name. And it's not a "tradition" it's royal protocol.

Topsy-Turvy i can´t follow this why can´t frederik take the name christian to make it

fFrederik IX, and then Christian XI

is it becouse there is one more King christian then king frederik?

onemore quastain you said that the only queen regent name there is, is Margrethe.

has every first born girl had the name Margrethe in her name since the first queen regent Margrethe I?

Originally posted by Topsy-Turvy+May 23rd, 2004 - 4:44 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Topsy-Turvy @ May 23rd, 2004 - 4:44 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-annaM@May 23rd, 2004 - 10:33 am

lets say Mary and Frederik have a girl and they name her Margrethe, and then she has a girl, and she has a girl  then the there will only be Margrethes!

Since women only have partial right of succession, it would be very unlikely that there would ever be any need for a second name. And it's not a "tradition" it's royal protocol. [/b][/quote]
but if that changes
and frederik and mary have a girl do you think we will see a other name for a girl?

It has been said that protocol dictates that if it were to be a girl she should be named Margrethe... I disagree :innocent:. Not because I don't think that Margrethe is an ugly name, quite the opposite, but because simply having two queens that have had the name Margrethe doesn't mean that it carries a real predecent that has to be followed. (Though people may see it differently, and I thought Princess Ingrid of Norway would be named Margrete because of the predecent... *shrugs*)

Especially since the two Margrethes were so far apart. When Queen Margrethe was named it was not intended that she was to be queen. At that time any brother she would have had would predecede her, as did her uncle and her male cousins.

If Frederik & Mary should get a daughter first, then a son, as far as I understand the danish constitution, the son would inherit the throne. (There are talk of changing this, but it seems like a lot of politicians have a "wait and see what happens" attitude.)

Therefore the predecent is that the girl should have one of her mother's names, as Queen Margrethe, Princess Benedikte and Queen Anne Marie are all called Ingrid. Elizabeth would be a pretty name on a girl. Not very Danish, perhaps, but it would be nice to let her have some connection to her mother's original heritage.

It's four names the Danish royals have, right?

Some suggestions from me.
Female:
Elizabeth
Dagmar (hey, it means Glory of the Danes, not a bad thing.)
Kirsten - a form of Christian.
Margrethe - I do like it.
Gu?run - a faroese name.
Henrietta - Mary's mother's name, but at the same time also a nod to Prince Henrik.

Male:
Christian
Frederik
Valdemar
Gorm
Harald
Knud

These things are impossible to guess. Though the guessing gets easier with a baby actually on the way... or actually there.. ;)

Originally posted by Josefine@May 23rd, 2004 - 10:44 am
Topsy-Turvy i can´t follow this why can´t frederik take the name christian to make it

fFrederik IX, and then Christian XI

is it becouse there is one more King christian then king frederik?

onemore quastain you said that the only queen regent name there is, is Margrethe.

has every first born girl had the name Margrethe in her name since the first queen regent Margrethe I?
About the Christian/Frederik question, the reason is that Christian has got a head start and now there are one more Christian than Frederik, this will be levelled with Frederik.

Women have only had the right of succession since 1953 and it is only partial. So before that they didn't need the name, because they weren't going to ascend the throne anyway. When Margrethe was named the successor of Frederik IX in 1953 it was decreed that Margrethe would take place along-side Christian and Frederik in the protocolled names for regents.

Originally posted by Josefine+May 23rd, 2004 - 10:46 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Josefine @ May 23rd, 2004 - 10:46 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Topsy-Turvy@May 23rd, 2004 - 4:44 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-annaM
@May 23rd, 2004 - 10:33 am

lets say Mary and Frederik have a girl and they name her Margrethe, and then she has a girl, and she has a girl  then the there will only be Margrethes!

Since women only have partial right of succession, it would be very unlikely that there would ever be any need for a second name. And it's not a "tradition" it's royal protocol.
but if that changes
and frederik and mary have a girl do you think we will see a other name for a girl? [/b][/quote]
Who knows, it doesn't look as if it's going to change, because the Danes don't want a change to the constitution, which is necessary to change the law of succession. So in short, no I don't think so.

of course we want to change it!
it has already been dicussed, but the goverment will not change it yet. they want to wait and see what sex the first child has.

but if the first child is a girl the will change the law just like in Sweden.

Originally posted by annaM@May 23rd, 2004 - 11:04 am
of course we want to change it!
it has already been dicussed, but the goverment will not change it yet. they want to wait and see what sex the first has.

but if the first child is a girl the will change the law just like in Sweden
Now hold on there missy.
The commission created by the Parliarment (under the supervision of then president of the Parliarment Ivar Hansen) to research the possibility of having a change to the constitution handed in their report to the present president of the Parliarment Christian Mejdahl, and he then concluded on the basis of the report that the changes which the Parliarment wanted to make wasn't possible. On that basis he sent the question of changing the constitution back to the committee which has existed since 1902 and which hasn't had a meeting since 1951. In other words it was put on ice.
So were not having a change to the constitution, and "we" as you put it don't want one. Polls from both Gallup and Vilstrup Analyse Institut has shown a persistent majority against changing the constitution at circa 70%.
And once again: you can't change the law of succession without a change to the constitution, and that would mean that it has to be approved by parliarment, then a referendum must be held, then general elections must be held and then it must be approved by the new parliarment. So it's not something you just do, especially when the population don't want it.

Even though it hurts me to admit it, you are Dead-right Topsy-Turvy.
And furthermore due to the provisions of paragraph 88 in the constitution it is almost impossible to change the constitution. In order for a change to come through more than 50% of the votes in the referendum must be for a change, and the number of voters who have voted for the change must amass at least 40% of the total number of registred voters. This makes a change virtually impossible, the last time the constitution was changed it took almost 10 years, and at that time it really needed to be changed, because it caused us problems with NATO etc. Right now it doesn't need to be changed, some people just want it to be changed. Luckily they are a minority.

if the first child is a girl she will become queen! trust me

us danish women and the leftoriented will want this.

this is 2004.

people will problaly change their mind when the girl is born.

but lets end this and just see what happens

if the girl will become queen and what she will be called!

Well I may not be a woman, but I do vote to the left of the center, and I don't want it. So your logic leaves me baffled. In any case try and read § 88 in the constitution, and then you will see just how difficult it will be.

Come on, why would anyone want a change to the constitution. Those who vote to the left of the center would be more opposed to this than anyone else.
Cause it's § 20 that is going to be slaughtered if we have a change, and those who vote to the left of the center would be very,very,very angry if that happened.

BTW: the "us danish women... ...will want this" really cracked me up. The female voters don't agree on anything based on gender. Why would they, men don't. Are you implying that women would put their political differences aside and vote contrary to their convictions just to show solidarity with other women.... Not likely to happen. Women, as men, vote with their brains, and won't accept a change they don't want just so they can have a Queen.

I may be alone in this, but I think this Frederik/Christian/Margrethe-thing is really boring. Come on, only three names!

If I have got it right, there is some kind of law that says a king or a queen _has to be_ named either Margrethe or Frederik/Christian, but do they have to be called that as first name, or is it ok if it's only a middlename? And is there really a rule that says this, or is it just a tradition?

I can't say I understand this, but maybe that's because I'm not Danish...

wait and see!

Frederick and Mary on honeymoon currently! but both will have baby maybe before one year or more years! like Earl and Countess of Wessex who tried makes Family because Countess of Wessex had lose baby by out of tubes inside of Countess of Wessex's stomatch.

dont be so excited! let be peace for newly wedding alright!

Sara Boyce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom