Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's First Pregnancy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you think Mary will have a girl or a boy?

• A girl

Votes: 131 59.0%
  • A boy

Votes: 91 41.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read in bt.dk/royalty that prince Haakon and Mette Marit arrive at church but I don't undertand or they will be godmother or godfather

Gillian said:
I read in bt.dk/royalty that prince Haakon and Mette Marit arrive at church but I don't undertand or they will be godmother or godfather

Here is the link to that article. Could someone please translate because I don't understand a word:) .

They say that Haakon and Mette-Marit will come to the christening and bring their son to Denmark and that it will be Sverres first trip abroad, It does not seem like it is confirmed by the Norwegian court. They further says its unsure if they will bring Ingrid (Its her birthday though)

Bodil Cath of BT says that Haakon and Victoria are sure to be sponsors for the New Prince but that the Danish court wants it to be a secret.

The rest of the article is about the Norwegian royals going to church this christmas

maybe Haakon AND Mette-Marit will be Godparents I Cant wait for the Ceremony :)

If I can dream a little, I would personally not mind of Fredrik and Mary choose both the Crown Princely Couple of Norway and the Crown Princess of Sweden as the little prince's godfathers/mother/sponsors. That would really mark a Scandinavian unity and closeness, marking the close bond between the three countries and their Royal Families.

But I'm sure that whoever they will choose, it will be a good choice. It's not a choice done at random, they will surely have given it a lot of thought.

Is it ever possible that a Crown Prince or Princess through marriage be chosen as a godparent? (ie Mette Marit as the baby's godmother) I'm assuming the answer is no but I'm curious...

Thanks!

I think Victoria is a good choice as Godmother since she will be able to have much contact with the young prince as he grows older. I know the Danish and Swedish cultures are different, but they are at least a little similar so perhaps Victoria will be a helpful guide in his life. I also think MM would be a splendid choice for a Godmother. I think a Greek cousin could be a Godfather or maybe even just Prince Joachim. Of course it isn't fair to have all royals and no one from Mary's family and friends included. It's half her kid too! Amber Petty or a sister of Mary would make a nice choice as well. :)

Well, it's New Year's Eve and I'm off! Out to have some fuuuuuuuun! See everyone in 2006!

Noelle9982 said:
Is it ever possible that a Crown Prince or Princess through marriage be chosen as a godparent? (ie Mette Marit as the baby's godmother) I'm assuming the answer is no but I'm curious...

Thanks!

I don't know what the tradition in Denmark is but I don't see why not. Mathilde is the godmother of Maxima's second daughter.

Larzen said:
They say that Haakon and Mette-Marit will come to the christening and bring their son to Denmark and that it will be Sverres first trip abroad, It does not seem like it is confirmed by the Norwegian court. They further says its unsure if they will bring Ingrid (Its her birthday though)

Bodil Cath of BT says that Haakon and Victoria are sure to be sponsors for the New Prince but that the Danish court wants it to be a secret.

The rest of the article is about the Norwegian royals going to church this christmas

Thankyou Larzen:)

GrandDuchess said:
If I can dream a little, I would personally not mind of Fredrik and Mary choose both the Crown Princely Couple of Norway and the Crown Princess of Sweden as the little prince's godfathers/mother/sponsors. That would really mark a Scandinavian unity and closeness, marking the close bond between the three countries and their Royal Families.

But I'm sure that whoever they will choose, it will be a good choice. It's not a choice done at random, they will surely have given it a lot of thought.

Seems you've been heard! It seems both Haakon and Victoria will be godfather/mother.

Princess Arabella

I think the names might be: Christian Frederik Joachin Henrik John or Christian Frederik Henrik John:rolleyes:

Victor- Hans Michael Christian Holgar Andre Henrik

I think that Prince Christian Frederik Joachim Henrik Victor would be nice because it would cover all of the baby's closest relatives and would also have Victor for his godmother Princess Victoria. Though I do think they should add in a name from Mary's family too. It won't be too much longer and we will find out his "real" name, LOL! I can't wait!

Layla1971 said:
Ok, I'm NOT critisizing anyone! You have all been very imaginative here in thinking of names, but HOW could we burden this poor child with 8-10 names!:confused:
Having more than 4 names may give a whole new meaning to a child learning to say and spell their own name, let alone remember it!:)
The lovely Princess Elsiabeth of Denmark, who has 11 names, has said she found it amusing to have all these names.

You might even say the royals have the privilige of including each and every name they find relevant without being mocked for it. I mean, the ordinary kid in school with 11 names would definitely get a hard time.

We've had 10 Christians and we will have had 10 Frederiks as well when the Lilleprinsen gets to rule. I think it's the right time to take up an old tradition, or to start a new one with a scent of old times.

http://www.fortidensjelling.dk/jelling10.htm
Here's a list of medieval kings. If they took up for instance Valdemar it would be Valdemar 5. Apart from Valdemar I find the medieval names a little boring and too simple, like Svend and Erik. Chistoffer is nice, but if you read about all the early Christoffers they all ended in not so flattering circumstances, one or two being killed by poison and one losing all of Denmark to other kings.

http://www.fortidensjelling.dk/sagnkongerne.htm
These are the prehistoric kings. They got really odd names, but I found one I really like, and that's Godtfred. Besides, if they choose a prehistoric name they can name this new prince Godtfred 1 since we can't really know if and when and which lands the prehistoric Godtfred ruled over.

Godtfred Valdemar Christian Henrik Frederik

That's my suggestion. In due time the little prince can choose for himself which name he will use when becoming a King. It would be Godtfred 1, Valdemar 5, Henrik 1, or of course Christian 11 or Frederik 11.

Godtfred means 'good' and 'peace' in Danish, so ''King Godtfred'' can be translated into ''King Makepiece''.

His everyday name, and in the press, would be ''Godte'', which translates into a piece of candy.

btw; Henrik has no history in Denmark as a King's name, but on the other hand the name Ingrid doesn't really have a history in Denmark either, but I think we can all agree that by Queen Ingrid it has become totally plausible to use Ingrid as a ruling Queen's name.

I'm sceptical to John though. I think they can keep it in store for their second son. There's absolutely nothing regal about that name.

To us, John is the obvious name from Mary's side, but there must be other names from Mary's grandfathers that she considers using.

H.R.H. Prince Magnus Albert Martin Joachim Hans Frederik Bertil Henrik Christian Victor

Christian Frederik Henrik (or Henri) Joachim Victor Nicholas :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Christian Frederik Henrik John certainly covers all the bases, but i bet they surprise us, hope so

If they include Prince Henrik's name, it would be a nice touch if they used his real French name, Henri. I think it is a pity it was deemed necessary that he should change his name to the Danish version of Henri.

UserDane said:
If they include Prince Henrik's name, it would be a nice touch if they used his real French name, Henri. I think it is a pity it was deemed necessary that he should change his name to the Danish version of Henri.

Are you serios :confused:
I don't know if it would have made Henrik's life in Denmark any easier if he had been prince 'angri' insted of Henrik. It was different times back then, not so international as today's English Mary instead of Danish Marie or whatever.
Some of my elderly relatives pronounce Mary the Danish way, (Maaaary) I can't even imagine how they would pronounce 'angri'. It would be 'Henri' literally and it would sound so :D :D :D

That reminds me; I thought they didn't change Mary's name when she married Fred but what is the closest Danish equivalent to Mary?

i´m surprised after so many months the name hasn´t slipped out...after all don´t close family know the name? Och well, only a few more days left of the will they, won´t they...I´m sure Christian will be there somewhere, but where??

ysbel said:
That reminds me; I thought they didn't change Mary's name when she married Fred but what is the closest Danish equivalent to Mary?
You can say Mary in a Danish way, it sounds very different, I don't know how to phoneticly write it, but it was also suggested (in polls) that it was changed to Marie or Maria, which is the translation of Virgin Mary - Jomfru Maria.

Thanks, Daneborn. I thought that was curious. The Danish pronunciation probably sounds closer to Marie with the stress on the Ma.

ysbel said:
Thanks, Daneborn. I thought that was curious. The Danish pronunciation probably sounds closer to Marie with the stress on the Ma.
You are so right. I can only :rolleyes: at myself for not thinking of that.

If someone says 'myself' in American English, like 'ma'self', that's the 'a' you stretch and use in the Danish Mary (like Maaary).

TV2 has list of popular names from Denmark and from Australia..

kdtjyt.jpg

perhaps Mary & Frederik would choose any of this name.

Royal Fan said:
I Perfer the English spelling of Michael
Do you mean instead of Mikkel? Michael with the same spelling is a commonly used name as well in Denmark (have a nephew who's called that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom