Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's First Pregnancy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you think Mary will have a girl or a boy?

• A girl

Votes: 131 59.0%
  • A boy

Votes: 91 41.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A boy - then I guess Christian is definitely going to be one of the names. I don't see them breaking up a long tradition like that. It's a nice name - and, quite fortunate with English-speaking relatives, the name works just as well in English as it does in Danish.

But what about the other names?

The author of the recent book about Margrethe guessed that the boy would be named the names Christian Frederik John & Henrik. She made no guess to what the order of the names would be...

Do you agree?

Well we have no idea yet - but my thoughts on how I would like to see the group of godparents turn out goes something like this:

- Prince Joachim
- Crown Prince Haakon
- Crown Princess Victoria
- Someone from the Greek Royal Family, perhaps Queen Anne-Marie or the Crown Princely Couple, Pavlos and Marie-Chantal
- One of Mary's sisters or a member of her close family
- A close friend of Crown Prince Fredrik

My guess for the baby princes names is : Christian, John, Henrik the last one i don´t know maby a name from greenland or australia.
We just have to waite and se to his christining.
By the way welcom to the world littel prince of Denmark.
Forresten velkommen til verden lille prins af Danmark :) :) :) :)

I'm going to guess the what most people are Chrisitan John Henerik and either Frederick or a Greenland name.

Also possibilities would be Andre or one of Mary's grandfathers.

im not sure if Fred or Mary would chose that name Christian or other names we have wait and see after birth about 6 weeks if Mary wanted names after her family or Fred wanted names after his family we have wait and see what happened to annoucement till before christening day.

Sara Boyce

sara1981 said:
im not sure if Fred or Mary would chose that name Christian or other names we have wait and see after birth about 6 weeks if Mary wanted names after her family or Fred wanted names after his family we have wait and see what happened to annoucement till before christening day.

Sara Boyce

Well Sara it is and has always been a tradision in the Danish royal family that the boyes either had the names Frederik or Christian and since the next king her in Denmark are going to be HM King Frederik 10. his son are going to be namede the name Christian.
You are rigth in that we are going to waite and se what the other names will be but Christian is for shure the littel princes firstname.

Christian (for Christian X)
Frederik (for his father and Frederik IX)
Johannes (Danish version of his Australian grandfather's name and the last King of Denmark not named Christian or Frederik)
Henrik (for Prins Henrik)

I picked:

Prince William
John Donaldson
Prince Joachim
Crown Princess Victoria
Amber Petty

I don't know how many Godparents they (Danish Royals) normally have so I just guessed 5. Prince William & Crown Princess Victoria almost always seem to be Godparents to the first born heir....I guess maybe its because they are heirs themselves.

ysbel said:
Christian (for Christian X)
Frederik (for his father and Frederik IX)
Johannes (Danish version of his Australian grandfather's name and the last King of Denmark not named Christian or Frederik)
Henrik (for Prins Henrik)

His name was not Johannes but Hans.
I think it would be funny if the boy have a name from Greenland or Faroe islands too as one of his names.
He will be King Christian XI (if they follow tradition) and his father would be Frederik X

betina said:
His name was not Johannes but Hans.
I think it would be funny if the boy have a name from Greenland or Faroe islands too as one of his names.
He will be King Christian XI (if they follow tradition) and his father would be Frederik X

Well Hans is a nickname for Johannes so I imagine if the old King was called Hans, he had to have Johannes somewhere in his name! :)

I don't know any Greenland or Faroe names other than Thornhidur which is a girls name.

I hope they follow tradition. I really like Christian. It is a nice name and has a very good history with Kings and the Danes. It also evokes kindness, love, and devoution. They will probably add a Greenland or Feorese(i think that is how u spell it) name for one of his middle names. Its only right.

-Hans Christian Henrik John
-Valdemar Christian Henrik John
-Christian Frederik Henrik John
-Erik Christian/Frederik Henrik John

I think it will definitely has Christian, Henrik and John + another one(as the names should be 4)

Some more I like:
-Carl Christian Henrik André
-Carl Fredrik Henrik Christian
-Christian Fredrik Carl Henrik
-Christian Joacim John Henrik
-Christian Fedrik Henrik John

Last edited:
One that I really like was Christian Frederik Carl Alexander but I don't think they'll use the Carl or Alexander. Not too many close relatives to the little prince with those names.

ysbel said:
Well Hans is a nickname for Johannes so I imagine if the old King was called Hans, he had to have Johannes somewhere in his name! :)

I don't know any Greenland or Faroe names other than Thornhidur which is a girls name.

In fact Thorhildur is an Islandic name. And no his name was Hans. I would be irriatated if people called me Elizabeth just because my name is a nickname from it.

How many godparents will there be?

Do they have to choose godparents of the same religion as with the Catholic families?

I think probably Prince Haakon will be a godparent.

Has Princess Maxima been chosen as a godparent?
Maybe one of the Belgian royals?

Beatrice Tarnawski
Bruno Gómez-Acebo
Andrew Miles
Prince Nikolaos of Greece

I think Crown Prince Haakon will be godfather, the others I'm not sure.

I just went through a list of danish kings and I found some very interesting old names that Mary and Fred could consider either as a first name or one of the other names...

Sigifrid, Reginfrid, Godefrid, Christoffer, Gorm, Knud/Cnut, Erik, Svend, Olaf... :rolleyes:

Valdemar would be a nice name considering king Valdemar Atterdag and his daughter queen Margrethe I, the founder of Kalmar Union... I just find it a bit boring that the kingly names would be limited to Frederik and Christian.

Does anyone have a link to any online sides of the royal protocol/edict that is referred to in the beginning of this thread? I haven't seen it, and I'm getting curious.

Re:

I think:

Christian Henrik John Joachim

I'd love him to be called Valdemar but I love the idea of keeping the Christian/Frederik thing going!

I think first name will be Christian. I don't speculate about the other names. But all your speculations are interesting.
But I absolutely dislike Valdemar because this name is really oldfashioned in Gemany and it remembers me "Voldemort" ;-)

Yolène said:
I think first name will be Christian. I don't speculate about the other names. But all your speculations are interesting.
But I absolutely dislike Valdemar because this name is really oldfashioned in Gemany and it remembers me "Voldemort" ;-)
But how up to date of the Royal family to bring Harry Potter into it? :D

norwegianne said:
But how up to date of the Royal family to bring Harry Potter into it? :D

LOL Anne. Everything that's old becomes new and stylish again! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom