Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's First Pregnancy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you think Mary will have a girl or a boy?

• A girl

Votes: 131 59.0%
  • A boy

Votes: 91 41.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hélène said:
I may be alone in this, but I think this Frederik/Christian/Margrethe-thing is really boring. Come on, only three names!

If I have got it right, there is some kind of law that says a king or a queen _has to be_ named either Margrethe or Frederik/Christian, but do they have to be called that as first name, or is it ok if it's only a middlename? And is there really a rule that says this, or is it just a tradition?

I can't say I understand this, but maybe that's because I'm not Danish...

I totally agree and I am Dane. I think Christopher would be a lovely mane and Denmark already have 3 christophers so why not

Since no other Royal house has such a strong tradition around two names (Christian/Frederik)for male heirs, I´ve added a poll. So you can tell us, if you think, that a boy would be named Christian or if you think they would choose an other name. Maybe we will know more in October...or mabye the baby is a girl, then we won´t...

Lena, perhaps you should have phrased your question as little differently such as... Do you think, he would get the name Christian as one of his FIRST names? Remember most royal children get several first names.

For girls I like Alexandrine, Astrid, Inger, and Christina.
For boys I like Alexander, Balduin, and Andre.

For a girl I like Lise and Grette (both are pronounced like Lisa and Greta). For a boy, I like the name Chrs

For a girl, I like Lise and Grette (pronounced like Lisa and Greta) and for a boy, I like Christian. It's a nice name and traditional also. I always like the traditional boys names and the original girl names. :)

:D Oops! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to post the first one - I wasn't finished yet!

if its's a boy they may not certainly call him Christian but I think they gonna name the babt "[a name]+Christiane"

The father of Queen Margrethe II had the first name of Christian, yet he reigned as King Frederik IX, so maybe the first name could be any name, as long as the usual Christian or Frederik is there. :rolleyes:

I did think that Frede would reign as Christian XI, because then it would go Frederik, Margrethe, Christian. If he uses his first name then it's Frederik, Margrethe, Frederik. :eek:

The Danes aren't the only ones in a rut with royal names, if you look at Britain, the last few Kings were all George or Edward. Queen Elizabeth II was obviously tired of that, looking at the future King Charles and future King William.

Anyway, if they have a boy, I think he will be
Christian John Henrik Frederik

If they have a girl,
Thyra Margrethe Henrietta Viktoria

Elisabeth is a nice name, but there allready is a Princess Elisabeth in Denmark, she is the first cousin of her majesty. Ingrid as a first name is unlikely as the future Queen regnant of Norway is Ingrid, so that might be her second name, a call name like the baby Dutch Princess is called Amalia, but will be Queen Catherina.

If anyone is having trouble coming up with Danish names,

Danish names are here
http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/dan.html

Danish royal names are here
http://pages.prodigy.net/ptheroff/gotha/denmark.html

ShksprNLov said:
For a girl, I like Lise and Grette (pronounced like Lisa and Greta) and for a boy, I like Christian. It's a nice name and traditional also. I always like the traditional boys names and the original girl names. :)
I really love those names.

I think Christian for a boy If they follow in Tradition, as for a Girl, not to sure, good Luck to the happy couple in their choice..

Adeema said:
The father of Queen Margrethe II had the first name of Christian, yet he reigned as King Frederik IX, so maybe the first name could be any name, as long as the usual Christian or Frederik is there. :rolleyes:

I did think that Frede would reign as Christian XI, because then it would go Frederik, Margrethe, Christian. If he uses his first name then it's Frederik, Margrethe, Frederik. :eek:

Well, it's fairly likely that he will be Frederik X, so that the line of Frederiks and Christians get "even." That's why it is likely that the next child, if it is a boy, will get the name Christian. (Probably Frederik as well, since Frederik himself has both names.)

Mandy said:
Lena, perhaps you should have phrased your question as little differently such as... Do you think, he would get the name Christian as one of his FIRST names? Remember most royal children get several first names.
Yes, in a way you are right. But the allowed letters (as you probably know) are very limited for a poll question. Further I´ve thought that it´s clear, that I talk about his christening names (that´s the only thing his parents could choose). I just want to know, if he would get it as call name. As real first name of the first names. E.g like the "Frederik" in "Frederik André Henrik Christian". Usually a child is called only by one name...the other names are nice to tell, but most important is one name...and in almost all cases it´s the name on the first place, which is used.
I guess just to ask "Is Christian one of his first names" would be a bit boring, because most expect it. But surely not all as call name.
I hope I made it clear and you know now, what I mean. Maybe you can help me to phrase the question different (must be as short as the one now and should include, what I´ve explained here)

there is no law saying the girl must be named Margarethe. It is merely a coincidence that 2 Queens have been named it. As far as Christian and Frederick there is a royal protocal but not a law by the Danish government. Even with the protocal the parents to not have to name the child one of those two names. However, they may like the tradition but they may put a twist on it. Say give him a name like (just an example) Erik Christian Frederick or Erik-Christian or Christian-Erik and have him know as Erik. Just like the Dutch and Norwegian royal families have done with their daughters. Norway has Ingrid Alexandra who will be know as such, and the Dutch have Catherina-Amalia who is known as Amalia.

i'd love the name Juliana Alexandrine Marie Feodora.

i'm sure the CP and mary will name their son or daughter beautifully. their royal neighbors didn't disappoint when they named their heirs, so i don't think the couple would be far off.

I think a baby girl for Mary and Frederik

Girl
Margrethe - Victoria - Elizabeth - Henrietta - Aurora - Gabriella - Ingrid - Alexandra

Boy
Christian - Frederik

Girl: Alexandrine Elizabeth Amelia Margrethe

Boy: Christian Erik Henrik John

girl: Alexandrine Margrethe Henieretta Ingrid

boy: Christian Henerik John Fredrick

sex of baby for Crown Princess Mary

im not sure what Crown Princess Mary carry?

if Mary have girls? or if Mary have boy?

but we havent polls! but i would need to makes it!

Sara Boyce

For future reference: If you think there is a need for a poll, please PM one of the moderators in charge of the relevant forum, with the relevant questions and/or pictures.

Norwegianne
TRF Supermoderator

Last edited:
another vote for boy...

Though it sure would be wonderful to see a little Danish Princess!!

i vote going be girls for Crown Princess Mary

Sara Boyce

im not sure, theres absolutely no way of knowing yet. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom