Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's First Pregnancy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you think Mary will have a girl or a boy?

• A girl

Votes: 131 59.0%
  • A boy

Votes: 91 41.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Fred crying may show they were "successful". Or otherwise, he was upset because there is no honeymoon baby. We'll known soon enough.

I don't think that they should name their child Margarete, Frederik or Christian as first name but as middle name!!!!!!!!!!!!

Margrethe, Frederik, Christian???
I don't like these names.
I think their children should have new names. Modern, danish names !!

I still say that as long as Denmark is still connected to the Faroes, and Greenland, the kids could end up with at least one name from that region. After all, Margrethe is called Thorhildur because Iceland was "under" Denmark when she was born. (Or at least it was before the German invasion of Denmark.)

He or she will have at least four names. Tradition will probably play into what Mary & Frederik choose, as will the royal protocol.

Does Queen Margrethe need to approve of the names that Mary & Frederik choose? Like King Harald does in Norway?

I don't think that Margarethe has to approve. However I am sure that it wouldn't hurt for them to ask her permission if she likes it or not!

I like the name Henrietta.

Perhaps:

Margarethe Henrietta Dagmar Elizabeth?

Who knows!

Only time will tell!

i would like to see at least one old fashned name
but how many names do the dansih royals have?

I've just found out a couple of weeks ago that next to Amalienborg is the Amalie Gardens... and I just thought it a very sweet name for a Danish princess! (we'll have to ignore the fact that we already have an "Amalia").

So I think if they have a daughter, she should be called: Amalie Margrethe Henrietta Ingrid . *wink*

names for the new baby

What do you think the name of the new baby will be?

If this is a girl, I'd love Alexandrine.

yes that name would be beautiful. I think if it is a girl she will be names Ingrid as one of the names after Frederiks beloved grandmother

I also like the names:

Girl:
Astrid
Louise
Henrietta (after Marys mother)
Alexandra
Victoria

Boy:
Christian according to royal genealogy
Alexander
Christopher
Valdemar

A boy will be Christian but for his other names Hans Frederick John

for a girl

Ingrid Margarethe Henrietta Joanna

I dont think the first name will be Ingrid in case she should be queen. It will be confusing with a queen in Norway and Denmark named Ingrid both

hillary_nugent said:
I was thinking this if it is a girl ^__^ and maybe Frederick II is its a boy hahaha

He will never be Frederik 2 ubt in case the name is Frederik he will be the 11.
I wiil also say a boy would be named Christian but I hope for Christopher.
Then he will be Christopher 4.

My opinion after that to most choice:
Girl: Ingrid (after Queen Margaret's mother)
Thyra
Louise/Lovisa
Boy: Christian
Ingmar
Erik

According to www.bt.dk the name will either be Margrethe or Christian. But for other names they are free to choose. That also aply to the name they use on a daily basis, like with Amalia.

I won't guess what the baby's first name will be but am pretty confident that should it be a girl, the new princess will most likely carry the middle names of Ingrid (after the Queen Ingrid, whom Frederik was very close with) and Henrietta (after CP Mary's mom, whom she dearly love)

It'll be interesting to see the array of new CPs and their name.

This is a very exciting year... CP Matilda, CP MM and now CP Mary all expecting!!! Not to put any form of pressure CP Leteiza but, i'm pretty sure the media will be playing up on the fact she's the only remaining CP not expecting.

betina said:
I dont think the first name will be Ingrid in case she should be queen. It will be confusing with a queen in Norway and Denmark named Ingrid both

I think that the name migth be for a girl:
Margrethe Ingrid Henrietta Alexandra

And for a boy it migth be:
Christian Henrik John Alexander

Well, Margrethe and Christian are two fairly certain names, I'd think.

Other names: I don't know much about Greenlandic names, but Frederik seems to have a particular connection to Greenland. It might be nice to have some sort of recognition there, such as Queen Margrethe has to Iceland, and the Faroes.

The nice thing about the name Henrietta is that is is not only the name of Mary's mother, but also the female version of Henrik, so in naming a female child that they would honour two grandparents in one go, to put it like that.

For a girl: Henrietta Margrethe Mary Christiane

For a boy: Christian Frederik John Harald

let Mary and Fred chose name for baby names!

if Mary wanted names after her mother's names if have girls or im not sure have boys names!

Sara Boyce

I hope they would include something from Scotland and something from Norse traditions. I love the name Alexandrine but I also think that one of Margrethe's names, Thorhildur, is really interesting because of its meaning and history.

I'll post here when I find nice names! But I do hope that the names won't be anything like Britney or Kaylee etc. I like the name suggestions you've all been giving but I'd like to add a little twist with the above stuff.

Danielane said:
If this is a girl, I'd love Alexandrine.

Yes, Danielane I love too this name !:p
or for a girl I find in their genealogy there is often: Louise charlotte or Sophie

for a boy I love name as Alexander:p
I think if it's a boy they will be obliged to choose a name among different others monarch !:)

Do they have to name the poor child after a monarch?! Can't they name the baby something original? :confused:

I think it would be strange to have the child named Margrethe, because the generations are so close. Why are some people so sure that this is what it would be called...(is it tradition???)

As there was already a thread on possible names for Mary and Frederik's future children, the two threads have now been merged, to make for easier browsing on the subject.

Thank you,
Norwegianne
Danish Royal Forums Moderator

Theilmann said:
Be offended all you will, that is your prerogative.
It doesn't change the fact that the names you listed were names of consorts , not ruling Queens. Nor does it change the fact that protocol dictates that ruling Queens in Denmark are to be named Margrethe.
Your "argument" that not every Queen can be named Margrethe, would suggest that not every King has to be named either Christian or Frederik, and with the exception of King Hans no-one has broken the protocol. In other words: What in gods name :angel: compells you to believe that protocol would be broken in this hypothetical situation???

About the name Margrethe. It was a coincidence she became queen. She was not named after Margrete 1. but queen Ingrids mother.
You cannot say it is a tradition with only two reigning queens with the same name.
And as for Margrete she was not really a reining queen. She was just ruling for minor children.

Guess they probably would NOT want to name a baby girl Alexandra :confused: even though it's lovely. My guess is Ingrid for a girl, Christian for a boy. Either way Mary will be a spectacular-looking expectant and new mommy!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom