The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Do you think Mary will have a girl or a boy?
A girl 131 59.01%
A boy 91 40.99%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 10:58 AM
Commoner

you're welcome

Old 05-23-2004, 11:04 AM
Commoner

of course we want to change it!
it has already been dicussed, but the goverment will not change it yet. they want to wait and see what sex the first child has.

but if the first child is a girl the will change the law just like in Sweden.

Old 05-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally posted by annaM@May 23rd, 2004 - 11:04 am
of course we want to change it!
it has already been dicussed, but the goverment will not change it yet. they want to wait and see what sex the first has.

but if the first child is a girl the will change the law just like in Sweden
Now hold on there missy.
The commission created by the Parliarment (under the supervision of then president of the Parliarment Ivar Hansen) to research the possibility of having a change to the constitution handed in their report to the present president of the Parliarment Christian Mejdahl, and he then concluded on the basis of the report that the changes which the Parliarment wanted to make wasn't possible. On that basis he sent the question of changing the constitution back to the committee which has existed since 1902 and which hasn't had a meeting since 1951. In other words it was put on ice.
So were not having a change to the constitution, and "we" as you put it don't want one. Polls from both Gallup and Vilstrup Analyse Institut has shown a persistent majority against changing the constitution at circa 70%.
And once again: you can't change the law of succession without a change to the constitution, and that would mean that it has to be approved by parliarment, then a referendum must be held, then general elections must be held and then it must be approved by the new parliarment. So it's not something you just do, especially when the population don't want it.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Gentry

Even though it hurts me to admit it, you are Dead-right Topsy-Turvy.
And furthermore due to the provisions of paragraph 88 in the constitution it is almost impossible to change the constitution. In order for a change to come through more than 50% of the votes in the referendum must be for a change, and the number of voters who have voted for the change must amass at least 40% of the total number of registred voters. This makes a change virtually impossible, the last time the constitution was changed it took almost 10 years, and at that time it really needed to be changed, because it caused us problems with NATO etc. Right now it doesn't need to be changed, some people just want it to be changed. Luckily they are a minority.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:56 AM
Commoner

if the first child is a girl she will become queen! trust me

us danish women and the leftoriented will want this.

this is 2004.

people will problaly change their mind when the girl is born.

but lets end this and just see what happens

if the girl will become queen and what she will be called!
Old 05-23-2004, 12:00 PM
Gentry

Well I may not be a woman, but I do vote to the left of the center, and I don't want it. So your logic leaves me baffled. In any case try and read § 88 in the constitution, and then you will see just how difficult it will be.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:07 PM

Come on, why would anyone want a change to the constitution. Those who vote to the left of the center would be more opposed to this than anyone else.
Cause it's § 20 that is going to be slaughtered if we have a change, and those who vote to the left of the center would be very,very,very angry if that happened.

BTW: the "us danish women... ...will want this" really cracked me up. The female voters don't agree on anything based on gender. Why would they, men don't. Are you implying that women would put their political differences aside and vote contrary to their convictions just to show solidarity with other women.... Not likely to happen. Women, as men, vote with their brains, and won't accept a change they don't want just so they can have a Queen.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:27 PM
Commoner

lets just see what happens!
Old 05-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Commoner

I may be alone in this, but I think this Frederik/Christian/Margrethe-thing is really boring. Come on, only three names!

If I have got it right, there is some kind of law that says a king or a queen _has to be_ named either Margrethe or Frederik/Christian, but do they have to be called that as first name, or is it ok if it's only a middlename? And is there really a rule that says this, or is it just a tradition?

I can't say I understand this, but maybe that's because I'm not Danish...
Old 05-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Heir Apparent

wait and see!

Frederick and Mary on honeymoon currently! but both will have baby maybe before one year or more years! like Earl and Countess of Wessex who tried makes Family because Countess of Wessex had lose baby by out of tubes inside of Countess of Wessex's stomatch.

dont be so excited! let be peace for newly wedding alright!

Sara Boyce
Old 05-23-2004, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hélène@May 23rd, 2004 - 12:48 pm
I may be alone in this, but I think this Frederik/Christian/Margrethe-thing is really boring. Come on, only three names!

If I have got it right, there is some kind of law that says a king or a queen _has to be_ named either Margrethe or Frederik/Christian, but do they have to be called that as first name, or is it ok if it's only a middlename? And is there really a rule that says this, or is it just a tradition?

I can't say I understand this, but maybe that's because I'm not Danish...
It's a royal protocol given by a "kings decree" (that's the parliarment and government with the consent of the monarch) This was done in 1953 in connection with the constitutional change. So it's not a tradition, and not a law, but where laws and traditions have been broken, a "kings decree" has never been broken.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:57 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally posted by sara1981@May 23rd, 2004 - 2:37 pm
but both will have baby
That's a relief
Old 05-23-2004, 05:27 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by Topsy&#045;Turvy+May 23rd, 2004 - 2:57 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Topsy-Turvy @ May 23rd, 2004 - 2:57 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sara1981@May 23rd, 2004 - 2:37 pm
but both will have baby
That&#39;s a relief [/b][/quote]
And very conventional, one might even say boring.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Duke of Earl@May 23rd, 2004 - 2:51 pm
It&#39;s a royal protocol given by a "kings decree" (that&#39;s the parliarment and government with the consent of the monarch) This was done in 1953 in connection with the constitutional change. So it&#39;s not a tradition, and not a law, but where laws and traditions have been broken, a "kings decree" has never been broken.
Yep, the first royal decree for nearly 75 years. And only the 6th or 7th since 1856, depending whether you count the one which was made as a replacement for the one on Conscription on the Faeroe Islands.
So no chance of that being broken. Christian, Frederik or Margrethe take your pick those are the options.

By the way; a change to the constitution??? You must be kidding surely.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:17 AM
Commoner

A boy will probably be

Christian John Henrik Frederick

and a girl

Henrietta Margarethe Ingrid Mary

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>AUSTRALIA&#33;</span>
Old 05-24-2004, 12:20 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by Princess Haya@May 24th, 2004 - 12:17 pm
A boy will probably be

Christian John Henrik Frederick

and a girl

Henrietta Margarethe Ingrid Mary
I agree Haya&#33;

Christian - Traditional
John - CP Mary&#39;s father
Henrick - CP Fred&#39;s father
Frederick - CP Fred&#39;s Grandfather

Henrietta - CP Mary&#39;s mother
Margarethe - CP Fred&#39;s mother
Ingrid - CP Fred&#39;s grandmother
Mary - CP Mary&#39;s grandmother

Some other variations

Christian Frederick John Henrik
Christian Henrick Frederick John

Ingrid Mary Margarethe Henrietta
Mary Henrietta Margarethe Ingrid
Margarethe Ingrid Henrietta Mary
Margarethe Ingrid Dagmar Elizabeth.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:52 AM
Courtier

For a boy:

Christian Andre Henrik John

For a Girl:

Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe Alexandrine
Old 05-24-2004, 02:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

So if Frederik has only daughters, would the eldest succeed or would the succession pass to Joachim and his sons?
Old 05-24-2004, 02:45 AM
Serene Highness

I understood that it would pass to Frederick & Mary&#39;s daughters.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:49 AM
Serene Highness

The Royal Danish website says

"The Act of Succession
The Act of Succession of 27 March 1953 gave women the right of succession to the Danish throne, but only secondarily. On the occasion of the accession to the throne on 14 January 1972, HM Queen Margrethe II became the first Danish Sovereign under the new Act of Succession. Please see this film cut, in which HM The Queen talks to Piet van Deurs about the accession to the throne in 1972."

I take it that this means that if F & M have only daughters the eldest would become Queen but if they have a son then a daughter, even if older than a Prince, would not displace her brother in the succession.