Frederik went Sailing while Willem-Alexander had a Birthday Party

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you comparing a Enthronement ceremony to a private birthday party?... :ermm:

No. But the Enthronement Ceremony is just half an hour. Around this there usually is a whole week(end) of activities including banquets, balls and whatever.

Should Crown Prince Frederik cancel a regatta to attend a 'superficial' ball in the Royal Palace Amsterdam for an Enthronement Ceremony a few days later? If we start to think this way, we better quit the whole thing.

The same can be said about the Corps Diplomatique visiting Queen Margrethe II or President Cavaco Silva (Portugal), to bring their best wishes for the New Year. Shall we quit the whole nonsens? Haven't those ambassadors better things to do? Can't they send a greeting card to the royal or presidential palace? Isn't that far more economical than to put on a frock and stand in the queue?

That is exactly the same way of thinking. Still these sort of events are valued moments of interaction and networking. There is nothing wrong when a person who is, like Frederik, one of the very handful hereditary successors left in today's world and celebrating his crown year (40th birthday) on a special way, to attend this. Even it is purely en courteoisie.
:flowers:

That is a quite limited description of the three day celebrations!
:lol:

We can say the same about weddings, baptisms, jubilees, of course. Wat is the point to sit on bench number seven in Church and have a waltz and then go back home? Then all the royals and non-royals better no longer accept invitations. There will always be more substantial cases asking for their time.

Because Weddings, Baptisms and jubilees represent very important marks in someone's life. Especially in a future King/Queen's life. This private birthday party was just.. a party for friends. It has no historical significance.
Don't worry, I'm sure Frederik and Mary will attend the future Enthronement ceremony of Prince Williem ;)

Well, actually I think she wasn't totally unable to skip that. She could have attended the birthday party. I know she breastfeeds Isabella, but she could have taken Isabella with her or leave her at home with a fridge full of bottles with milk. But maybe she thought it wasn't that important to attend and skip watching Frederik sailing for it. Who knows.
Mary attended the prize-giving ceremony together with Frederik that evening.
Plus, she is breastfeeding Isabella. I don't think it's ok to expose a baby to all that stress for one evening only.
And Mary already attended a royal birthday party without Frederik (the Swedish one last year), she didn't look as if she felt very comfortable all on her own among the royal couples back then. Nobody likes to be the third wheel on the bycicle.
Plus, it made the absence of Frederik even more visible and the result of her single appearance were rumours about marriage problems - in German and Australian media at least.

So, I personally totally understand why she did not attend the birthday party alone and chose to support her husband instead. I would have done the same if I were in her shoes. There will be other birthdayparties, no doubt.

Ricarda, I believe that Mary attended the Swedish birthday party of King Carl Gustaf with Prince Henrik. So she wasn't exactly all on her own for that party. Granted not with her own husband but still not alone. I thought it was very sweet seeing Henrik and Mary attend something together when their spouses couldn't. Things are going to come up, things are going to interfere that is just a given from time to time. However, I have to admit that today I'm looking at things differently(not sure why) but perhaps the big deal is that no one from Denmark showed or even from Greece. The only reason I group Greece in there is because the relationships are so close. I suppose even if Fred didn't go someone from Europe's oldest monarchy should have been there. And like Henri was hinting at it is more than a just having cake and singing 'Happy Birthday' when it's a milestone in a person's life and that person is a future head of state.

Fred's sailing was on the calender for a long time, he had a commitement to his crew and sponsors. I'm sure Mary made the commitement to see him race that day to support her husband. Big deal, they didn't go to a bday party. Which, I am sure he will have more of. I'm sure they sent a gift and regrets. It's not a snub. Like we all haven't sent regrets for something? And before everyone says he's the future king etc. They are not that close I would guess, I dont' think WA and Maxima care, etc. Plus, if WA and M invited me and say I had my sons receital, I'd have to go to the receital. Because it was my commitement to my family. Which comes first before some distant person I hardly ever see or talk to or deal with. Mary, Fred and the kids went to an event as a family. Simple.

Ricarda, I believe that Mary attended the Swedish birthday party of King Carl Gustaf with Prince Henrik. So she wasn't exactly all on her own for that party. Granted not with her own husband but still not alone. I thought it was very sweet seeing Henrik and Mary attend something together when their spouses couldn't. Things are going to come up, things are going to interfere that is just a given from time to time. However, I have to admit that today I'm looking at things differently(not sure why) but perhaps the big deal is that no one from Denmark showed or even from Greece. The only reason I group Greece in there is because the relationships are so close. I suppose even if Fred didn't go someone from Europe's oldest monarchy should have been there. And like Henri was hinting at it is more than a just having cake and singing 'Happy Birthday' when it's a milestone in a person's life and that person is a future head of state.
Excuse me but I don't consider the 40th birthday such a great milestone in any person's life and it's certainly not a good reason to quit a prior engagement, an engagement that came up ~1 year before WA decided to celebrate his birthday 4 months later.
And unlike the Swedes the Dutch didn't get tired of claiming that it would be a private party and they only invited friends (no, it wasn't one of those exclusive glamourous royal events, just a party among friends :)). No country has to be represented at a private birthday party.
I personally think Mary had more than one good reason not to attend either.

Excuse me but I don't consider the 40th birthday such a great milestone in any person's life and it's certainly not a good reason to quit a prior engagement, an engagement that came up ~1 year before WA decided to celebrate his birthday 4 months later.
And unlike the Swedes the Dutch didn't get tired of claiming that it would be a private party and they only invited friends (no, it wasn't one of those exclusive glamourous royal events, just a party among friends :)). No country has to be represented at a private birthday party.
I personally think Mary had more than one good reason not to attend either.

If it's not a milestone in a person's life then what is it? Perhaps you are speaking in general but I get personally offended when you respond to my post and say things that I have defended Fred and Mary over. I never would even think that Fred should have cancelled that would not have been the right thing to do and Mary's place is with her husband and kids, because this was considered a private birthday party. I'm totally on the same side as you when defending Fred for not going. But I also see that it would have been nice if someone from the Danish Rf or someone known and closely related to the Danes(i.e. the Greek royals) could have been there. That is the only small point I'm trying to make. For example, Where was Joachim? He did have an official act at a museum on Sept.4 but nothing on schedule over the weekend. Not that I'm trying to open up another can of worms here. But Edward went in place of Charles.

Last edited:
I am not sure if Edward went in Charles´ place. It is more likely that they sent an invitation to both Charles and Edward. It was stressed that the people invited were friends of the couple. So handing down an invitation for such a party isn´t how things are done in this particular case.

So if Frederik and Mary were invited and they were obviously not able to attend, than they couldn´t have given the invitation to Joachim. Joachim and the Greeks might not have received an invitation or they were otherwise engaged too. Personally I was more surprised that no Berleburg attended, as the two families were/are befriended (Prince Richard and the late Prince Claus were good friends, even before their marriages).

Aurora810
If it's not a milestone in a person's life then what is it? Perhaps you are speaking in general but I get personally offended when you respond to my post and say things that I have defended Fred and Mary over. I never would even think that Fred should have cancelled that would not have been the right thing to do and Mary's place is with her husband and kids, because this was considered a private birthday party. I'm totally on the same side as you when defending Fred for not going. But I also see that it would have been nice if someone from the Danish Rf or someone known and closely related to the Danes(i.e. the Greek royals) could have been there. That is the only small point I'm trying to make. For example, Where was Joachim? He did have an official act at a museum on Sept.4 but nothing on schedule over the weekend. Not that I'm trying to open up another can of worms here. But Edward went in place of Charles.
I am sorry if you feel offended by my post.
Since you replied to my post I replied to yours.
I didn't read what you wrote before and in any case didn't want to offend you, just wanted to express my opinion. :flowers:

I agree, it would have been nice. But nobody here knows why it didn't happen, it's all pure speculation. Perhaps Frederik did attend the party after 10pm and thus represented Denmark? Perhaps the Greeks weren't invited. Perhaps Joachim isn't a friend of WA? Wasn't it said he only invited friends? I think there is really a difference between this party and an official birthdayparty like in Sweden and Norway which has to be attended by one representative of each European monarchy at least.

And I am also not sure whether Edward came in place of his brother. Didn't Maxima and Edward once attend an event together? IMO it might be possible that Edward himself got an invitation.

Last edited:
That's true I see what you are saying Marengo. They can't just send someone else in their place I forgot it was invitation only for a second there. But I agree it's weird that no Berleburg or member of the Greece RF attended either. It's not a big deal to me that Fred didn't attend and I get mad at myself for even being in this thread. But at the same time I understand it to be a milestone and I think that it is odd that some notables(not just Fred and Mary) were missing from the whole thing.

It's not a big deal Ricarda, it's fine. I just wanted you to understand that I thought we were arguing very similar points and that I was on your same side.:)

Last edited:
First of all I have to say: Who cares? So what if Frederik didn't go to Willem-Alexander's birthday party?...boohoo...this isn't kindergarten...I am certain Frederik informed WA well in advance of his previous engagement, made apologies, sent lots of love and best wishes his way, bought him a favourable gift, had a get together sometime between 27 April (WA actual birthday) and the August party...and it is all water under the bridge, no hard feelings, things happen, life goes on...they are mature adults that have young families and commitments of their own...they are certainly not going to be sulky little children saying, "It's just not fair, Frederik is not coming to my party!!!"...I would probably vouch to say WA was probably relieved that Frederik and co., didn't attend, one less official guest to meet and greet and attend to???

And yes, while I agree in some respects that turning 40 is a major milestone in SOME people lives, I disagree that attending a party to celebrate is as important...in these royal circles it seems like more of a token gesture, a formality, an obligation even (perhaps?)...a facade?

I am not sure if Edward went in Charles´ place. It is more likely that they sent an invitation to both Charles and Edward. It was stressed that the people invited were friends of the couple. So handing down an invitation for such a party isn´t how things are done in this particular case.

So if Frederik and Mary were invited and they were obviously not able to attend, than they couldn´t have given the invitation to Joachim. Joachim and the Greeks might not have received an invitation or they were otherwise engaged too. Personally I was more surprised that no Berleburg attended, as the two families were/are befriended (Prince Richard and the late Prince Claus were good friends, even before their marriages).

I think there is more of an understanding in Royal circles for not being able to attend due to sportive engagements then there seems to be,well,here for instance.Everyone knew Frederic would sail the World Cup Farr-40,and really,no-one has a problem with that,he ended 8th in the finals and 1st on that saturday.They had been invited,but had to decline due to the sportive event and no-one had a problem with that,not the least Alexander who is a sportsman himself AND a member of the International Olympic Committee thus knowing full well the importance of a qualification for the Olympics in 2008.So really,all the fuss?"A lot adoo about nothing"....And four pages of it!?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom